PDA

View Full Version : Stokesy

Waxy
07-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Impressed me today.Very smart and annoyed the life out the Raith defence all match.
Not sure if he and Jason are near the same wavelength.Hopefully it comes good from now when we need it most.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 06:38 PM
Thought he ran his socks off. Done well today! He was frustrated with Jason a couple of times as he was running the channel yet Jason went wide.

If these two could click we'd score so many goals.

Billy Whizz
07-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Work rate was good, but would like to see him get a few more shots in, and get him off free kicks!

Scooter
07-05-2016, 06:43 PM
Thought he ran his socks off. Done well today! He was frustrated with Jason a couple of times as he was running the channel yet Jason went wide.

If these two could click we'd score so many goals.

Don't think Cummings has the football intelligence for Stokes

Iceman1875
07-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Don't think Cummings has the football intelligence for Stokes

This. Stokes is on a different page to JC IMO

lapsedhibee
07-05-2016, 06:51 PM
Stokes is on a different page to JC IMO

Whole different library.

The_Horde
07-05-2016, 06:59 PM
But Cummings acts on instinct and Stokes overthinks.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 07:01 PM
I'm sure Jason will learn throughout his career as it's clear Stokes is one step ahead regarding his football brain.

erin go bragh
07-05-2016, 07:03 PM
Time for Henderson to take our free kicks .
Stokes worked his socks off . Stokes and Keatings for the Falkirk game , with Jason coming on last 30 .

GGTTH

The_Horde
I'm sure Jason will learn throughout his career as it's clear Stokes is one step ahead regarding his football brain.

But you just feel like he's never gonna score in a month of Sunday's.

Folk get at Dagnall for similar.

Fergus52
Work rate was good, but would like to see him get a few more shots in, and get him off free kicks!

Henderson has scored 3 free kicks for us. Stoke's must have taken twice as many and has missed them all

Ronniekirk
07-05-2016, 07:05 PM

Defo get him off free kicks Even the wife said that today but think Liam Henderson could do no wrong in her eyes today Green Grin

SaulGoodman
07-05-2016, 07:14 PM
But you just feel like he's never gonna score in a month of Sunday's.

Folk get at Dagnall for similar.

But Stokes has scored for us?

khib70
07-05-2016, 07:16 PM

....and Dagnall hasn't.

Aldo
07-05-2016, 07:25 PM

DSJ that was Cummings problem on Wednesday night..... Having to think!

GreenLake
07-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Henderson has scored 3 free kicks for us. Stoke's must have taken twice as many and has missed them all

It might be in his contract that he takes all the free kicks if he wants to, and gets the first soak in the jacuzzi.

Andy74
07-05-2016, 07:56 PM
He's here to do more than run about surely? Still disappointed with what he is actually producing for us at this level.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 08:06 PM
He's here to do more than run about surely? Still disappointed with what he is actually producing for us at this level.

Course you are!

trev the hat
07-05-2016, 08:10 PM

He's been excellent last 4/5 games & an example of how to close down opponents.
His football brain is 2nd to none & to be appreciated now he's at full fitness

bingo70
07-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Course you are!

I can understand both points of view tbh

I've been really impressed with stokes work rate, leadership and technical ability when dropping deep and trying to make things happen.......that said though I thought he'd score a lot more goals and offer a much bigger goal threat than he has done.

If he scores the winning goal in the cup final I'll let him off though.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 08:13 PM
He's been excellent last 4/5 games & an example of how to close down opponents.
His football brain is 2nd to none & to be appreciated now he's at full fitness

Exactly. His closing down and makin teams play back the way has been superb! His fitness levels are very good! You can tell he's played at a far higher level with the way he reads games.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 08:16 PM
I can understand both points of view tbh

I've been really impressed with stokes work rate, leadership and technical ability when dropping deep and trying to make things happen.......that said though I thought he'd score a lot more goals and offer a much bigger goal threat than he has done.

If he scores the winning goal in the cup final I'll let him off though.

Or the winning play off goal 😉

I think because he's not exactly played as a centre forward through the middle has been a huge factor in why we haven't seen him score as many as we'd have liked.

I was more meaning it's no surprise Andy74 would pick a negative point rather than praise his performance. Today I thought he was very good.

SON OF PADDY
07-05-2016, 08:43 PM
I'll be honest ! Did'nt really want him in the first place,
But I'll happily admit I was wrong.
Thought he was brilliant today, well played Stokesy.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 08:47 PM
I'll be honest ! Did'nt really want him in the first place,
But I'll happily admit I was wrong.
Thought he was brilliant today, well played Stokesy.

Good to see someone who didn't want him at least have the open mind not to just judge him on off field things. Fair play for admitting you were wrong mate. Stokes has been a good signing!

bingo70
07-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Or the winning play off goal 😉

I think because he's not exactly played as a centre forward through the middle has been a huge factor in why we haven't seen him score as many as we'd have liked.

I was more meaning it's no surprise Andy74 would pick a negative point rather than praise his performance. Today I thought he was very good.

Yeah I thought he was good today, played a big part in McGinns goal I think?

That said he never really looked like scoring or looked a threat, I think that's the point.

monktonharp
07-05-2016, 08:52 PM
This. Stokes is on a different page to JC IMOthis too. Stokes was a mile ahead in his thinking. great today, as he has been for weeks. downside, he needs to improve, or hand over the reigns to someone that can hit the target from free kicks outside the box.

Andy74
07-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Good to see someone who didn't want him at least have the open mind not to just judge him on off field things. Fair play for admitting you were wrong mate. Stokes has been a good signing!

I think you are trying too hard at the moment.

I really wanted Stokes to sign, was delighted when he did but was sad to see Malonga going.

I expected him to rip this league up, to score for fun.

I think that running about a lot is great but it doesn't mean he is influencing games. His signing has been disappointing so far.

If he wasn't Stokes I doubt many would be describing his performances the way they are.

Sammy7nil
07-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Without a goal Jason is a man short. Jason is good player but offers very little when we need 11 players working their socks off he even pulled out a tackle late on. If Stubbs starts them both again Ithink it is a huge mistake and may cost him his job.

Stokes is a far better rounded player than Jason at this time.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I think you are trying too hard at the moment.

I really wanted Stokes to sign, was delighted when he did but was sad to see Malonga going.

I expected him to rip this league up, to score for fun.

I think that running about a lot is great but it doesn't mean he is influencing games. His signing has been disappointing so far.

If he wasn't Stokes I doubt many would be describing his performances the way they are.

Not trying to hard at all! If that's the case how hard must you be trying with Malonga stuff? 😁

We both thought Dom was a player and we both were sad he left. I'd have loved Dom to stay. Anyway back to Stokes. As I pointed out I think Stokes being told to play on the left has stopped him from scoring far more goals. If he's played through the middle he'd score a lot more that's for sure.

Stokes has had a huge influence in games Andy even though he never scored just like Dom did yet many didn't see that either did they? I mind defending Dom many times on here and yourself telling folk he brings more to games than just goals. Both hold the ball well and Stokes passing is better than some give credit for.

The_Horde
07-05-2016, 09:17 PM

I think you're misunderstanding me. I love both of them, but they both equally have flaws.

I'd say they're on par at the moment. Both do really good things but both frustrate in equal measure.

When they click it'll be something else, though. already had a glimpse at the rangers game.

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I think you're misunderstanding me. I love both of them, but they both equally have flaws.

I'd say they're on par at the moment. Both do really good things but both frustrate in equal measure.

When they click it'll be something else, though. already had a glimpse at the rangers game.

The Scottish cup final when both get a hat-trick!!!

Ok I can dream. 😁

Scooter
07-05-2016, 09:30 PM

I don't think they are going to click as I said before I don't think Cummings has the football brain to link with Stokes. I wasn't so keen to Stokes coming back however having seen him play the last few games he has been great his movement is great but the problem is no one else can see it

Onion
07-05-2016, 09:48 PM

Agreed, we can find triers and runners anywhere. Stokes is here to produce that bit of magic and class that separates teams but he's simply not doing that.

monktonharp
07-05-2016, 09:53 PM
The Scottish cup final when both get a hat-trick!!!

Ok I can dream. they wont, but they both somehow have a habit of scoring against the Govan mob.

monktonharp
07-05-2016, 09:56 PM
Agreed, we can find triers and runners anywhere. Stokes is here to produce that bit of magic and class that separates teams but he's simply not doing that.he has done and is doing it,problem being that others don't read it or anticipate his next move. he is a bit of class, of that there is nae doubt

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 10:40 PM
they wont, but they both somehow have a habit of scoring against the Govan mob.

They do indeed!!

Thecat23
07-05-2016, 10:42 PM
Agreed, we can find triers and runners anywhere. Stokes is here to produce that bit of magic and class that separates teams but he's simply not doing that.

Must be watching a different player to me.

ALF TUPPER
07-05-2016, 11:25 PM
The guy behind me verbally abused Stokes and Stubbs .... in fact everyone , for most of the game. He was shocking. But, pays his money same as the rest. So,....
Didn't half talk nonsense though.

I thought Stokesy had a good game again today again. The big fella behind me wouldn't agree 😂😂

hibeedonald
07-05-2016, 11:40 PM
Still so far away from his best. Might be a good thing though if it let's us keep him.

SON OF PADDY
07-05-2016, 11:49 PM

Always best to admit when you're wrong,
It doesn't hurt !
" Thats what my old mum always said "
I believe it's true.

The Harp Awakes
08-05-2016, 12:01 AM
I always thought of Stokes as a great goalscorer but a bit of a luxury and lazy. Have only appreciated how good a footballer he is in this 2nd spell with Hibs. His work rate has also been phenominal. A real asset to the team and will be a very important player for us in the games ahead.