PDA

View Full Version : Tactics

Alan62
05-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Amongst the usual post-defeat whining there has been a lot of chatter about Alan Stubbs' tactics - and, in particular, his alleged lack of tactical expertise.

I was at the game last night. It was extremely frustrating. I also watched the highlights from the Raith Rovers' website.

For all that Mr Stubbs is accused of not being a master tactician, his team managed to fashion 5 times the number of chances (shots) than the opposition including 3 times the number of shots on target.

That would suggest to me that the problem isn't so much the way the team is set up but it comes purely down to the quality of the FINISHING.

Of course, we can also park that accusation at the manager's door but it seems a bit harsh to say that the tactics were wrong when the evidence quite clearly suggests that better finishing would have won us the game comfortably.

JimBHibees
05-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Amongst the usual post-defeat whining there has been a lot of chatter about Alan Stubbs' tactics - and, in particular, his alleged lack of tactical expertise.

I was at the game last night. It was extremely frustrating. I also watched the highlights from the Raith Rovers' website.

For all that Mr Stubbs is accused of not being a master tactician, his team managed to fashion 5 times the number of chances (shots) than the opposition including 3 times the number of shots on target.

That would suggest to me that the problem isn't so much the way the team is set up but it comes purely down to the quality of the FINISHING.

Of course, we can also park that accusation at the manager's door but it seems a bit harsh to say that the tactics were wrong when the evidence quite clearly suggests that better finishing would have won us the game comfortably.

Agree with that it is an easy stick to beat him with however almost all games we have more possession, more shots on target yet commonly lose such games in many cases to the first shot on target from the opposition like last night. Defensively weak and profligate in front of goal isnt a great combination.

madhatter
05-05-2016, 03:17 PM
Agree with that it is an easy stick to beat him with however almost all games we have more possession, more shots on target yet commonly lose such games in many cases to the first shot on target from the opposition like last night. Defensively weak and profligate in front of goal isnt a great combination.

I'd add to that - our shots are rarely from good positions. Some are snatching at a chance through impatience or just bad judgement. When we get behind a team and take shots we actually score quite a few chances but we rarely get behind a team and are instead shooting from edge of the box etc.

Winston Ingram
05-05-2016, 03:42 PM

The chances we create aren't exactly clear cut. We only really had one great chance last night. Shots on goal is a better description and it has been the same for most games over that last 2 years.

The way he sets us up has been worked out by every team in the league. Defend narrow as we have little width and catch us on the break or via a set piece.

The amount of games we come out of where we've had 10 times the attempts of our opponents and they've created and scored a clear-cut chance on the break or via set piece.

Time after time. For this to happen once is chance, twice a co-incedence but over 20 times over 2 seasons is just downright ***** management.

...and also, he continually picks the same 2 strikers no matter what.

Alan62
05-05-2016, 11:04 PM
Cummings through on goal was the best chance of the night. Stokes missed a header about 6m from goal. Cummings missed a header in the box. Gray didn't get a good connection on a header under pressure in the six yard box. Henderson scuffed the ball wide of the near post with the whole goal gaping - again inside the box. Fontaine tried a scrappy overhead kick inside the box. That isn't taking pops at goal from distance.

Also, we have given away some bad goals this season - like the one on Wednesday - but, arguably, good defending is limiting teams to a small number of attempts.

Penicuik Hibee
05-05-2016, 11:18 PM
When u play 3-5-2, you need good attacking wing backs. Unfortunately gray (while being a good defender) is not so good going forward. I like Boyle in this role as he has genuine pace and is a danger down the right. Lewis made some great runs the other night, but his final ball (more often than not) is dreadful. He fits this system ok - but what a difference it would make if he could deliver a cross

still can't believe we lost the other night. The pressure is def on and keeping a clean sheet is vital on sat. But we can do it

J-C
06-05-2016, 08:38 AM
When u play 3-5-2, you need good attacking wing backs. Unfortunately gray (while being a good defender) is not so good going forward. I like Boyle in this role as he has genuine pace and is a danger down the right. Lewis made some great runs the other night, but his final ball (more often than not) is dreadful. He fits this system ok - but what a difference it would make if he could deliver a cross

still can't believe we lost the other night. The pressure is def on and keeping a clean sheet is vital on sat. But we can do it

:agree: also with 3-5-2 you do not need 2 defensive minded midfielders, we lacked guile and creativity in midfield, either Henderson, McGeouch or both should've been on the park, should've stayed with the team from Sunday.