PDA

View Full Version : Hanlon

HibsNutter
05-05-2016, 01:11 PM
One of the only positives from last night. His reading of the game is exemplary and he really holds that defence together now. Just hope we can get him signed up to a new deal asap because he's developed into a cracking centre half.

J-C
05-05-2016, 01:13 PM
One of the only positives from last night. His reading of the game is exemplary and he really holds that defence together now. Just hope we can get him signed up to a new deal asap because he's developed into a cracking centre half.

Queue the wrath that is GAIL :greengrin

pacoluna
05-05-2016, 01:14 PM
All cb's in my opinion should be a platform for us to progress in my opinion, Hanlon, Fonts and McG are all quality players too good for this division, McG more so than the others.

HibsNutter
05-05-2016, 01:16 PM
All cb's in my opinion should be a platform for us to progress in my opinion, Hanlon, Fonts and McG are all quality players too good for this division, McG more so than the others.

Also rate the other two, don't mean to come across as thinking they're not good enough. Just think Hanlon is a class above.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Also rate the other two, don't mean to come across as thinking they're not good enough. Just think Hanlon is a class above.

McGregor is head and shoulders our best defender. Hanlons an able deputy but I wouldn't be gutted to see him leave in the summer. There is better out there.

Brightside
05-05-2016, 01:18 PM
Its best not to bother with these threads anymore. :greengrin

J-C
05-05-2016, 01:19 PM

Hanlon has the best footballing brain, maybe from his time playing as an attacking midfielder as a youth, McGregor is the better all round defender, Hanlon can still have a wee lapse in concentration every now and then, Fontaine has in my opinion gone backwards from last season but still a decent back.

CallumLaidlaw
05-05-2016, 01:21 PM
McGregor is head and shoulders our best defender. Hanlons an able deputy but I wouldn't be gutted to see him leave in the summer. There is better out there.

Will be interesting if the rumour of Aberdeen being interested comes to fruition. Why would the 2nd best club in the country want a centre half that "wouldn't be missed" by a club that are 3rd in the championship?

pacoluna
I would disagree as much as I think he is a good Hibs player, McG is a more a complete player in my opinion.

Super_JMcGinn

I thought it was Mother's day coming up not April fools day.

J-C
05-05-2016, 01:22 PM
And there she blows :thumbsup:

SJM
Will be interesting if the rumour of Aberdeen being interested comes to fruition. Why would the 2nd best club in the country want a centre half that "wouldn't be missed" by a club that are 3rd in the championship?

He wouldn't get a game for Aberdeen so I think we can safely say it's only a rumour. He will end up at Oldham or somewhere.

Brightside
Hanlon has the best footballing brain, maybe from his time playing as an attacking midfielder as a youth, McGregor is the better all round defender, Hanlon can still have a wee lapse in concentration every now and then, Fontaine has in my opinion gone backwards from last season but still a decent back.

I get the impression Liam may still be struggling with something. He seems to have lost all pace in a short period of time. Hanlon and Mcgregor still have a bit of pace despite being CHs.

pacoluna
05-05-2016, 01:24 PM
He has been linked with several clubs now since he broke in to the team.. He is similar to Stevenson decent enough player but wouldn't be a huge loss.. still of course would rather have him than not.

easty
05-05-2016, 01:24 PM
He wouldn't get a game for Aberdeen so I think we can safely say it's only a rumour.

He absolutely would.

J-C
05-05-2016, 01:25 PM
I get the impression Liam may still be struggling with something. He seems to have lost all pace in a short period of time. Hanlon and Mcgregor still have a bit of pace despite being CHs.

You may well be right, never looked comfortable all season, I was wondering if his nose was out of joint with the arrival of McGregor and then suddenly not being an automatic pick.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:30 PM
He absolutely would.

Nah he wouldn't. Reynolds, Considine and Taylor all better players.

SunshineOnLeith
05-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Gail's "Paul Hanlon Receiving Praise" klaxon still in full working order, that's a relief.

HibsNutter
05-05-2016, 01:36 PM

Considine and Taylor definitely aren't.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:39 PM

IMO they are. Part of a defence that has conceded the exact same amount of goals than us in a higher league playing much better sides.

Taylor just got a new contract and Considine has been consistent for years. Hanlon wouldn't get a game. McGregor might mind.

pacoluna
05-05-2016, 01:41 PM
IMO they are. Part of a defence that has conceded the exact same amount of goals than us in a higher league playing much better sides.

Taylor just got a new contract and Considine has been consistent for years. Hanlon wouldn't get a game. McGregor might mind.
McG would get his game for any SPL side bar celtic, fortunately hes playing for his childhood heroes.

scoopyboy
05-05-2016, 01:48 PM
He wouldn't get a game for Aberdeen so I think we can safely say it's only a rumour. He will end up at Oldham or somewhere.

Derek McInnes is a big fan of Paul Hanlon, I wouldn't rule it out.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:48 PM
McG would get his game for any SPL side bar celtic, fortunately hes playing for his childhood heroes.

Definitely.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:49 PM
Derek McInnes is a big fan of Paul Hanlon, I wouldn't rule it out.

Surprising, and it's not a dig at the lad but I'll take your word for it Scoops👍

JimBHibees
05-05-2016, 01:55 PM

Neither is Reynolds, Taylor is a bombscare.

scoopyboy
05-05-2016, 01:55 PM
Surprising, and it's not a dig at the lad but I'll take your word for it Scoops

I will expand a bit, Derek McInnes took Paul to SJ and used him regularly.

He tried to sign him but Mixu despite not playing him around that time wouldn't let him go.

McInnes has been keeping tabs ever since, I'm not saying Paul is signing for Aberdeen but I wouldn't rule it out.

FWIW I don't think McInnes would sign him for the sake of it, it would be with a view to him playing.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 01:56 PM
He has been linked with several clubs now since he broke in to the team.. He is similar to Stevenson decent enough player but wouldn't be a huge loss.. still of course would rather have him than not.

I'm 32 and my memory is fading a little but can you remind us when he broke into the team? And of all those several clubs that were interested why do you think nothing came of it?

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:57 PM
I will expand a bit, Derek McInnes took Paul to SJ and used him regularly.

He tried to sign him but Mixu despite not playing him around that time wouldn't let him go.

McInnes has been keeping tabs ever since, I'm not saying Paul is signing for Aberdeen but I wouldn't rule it out.

FWIW I don't think McInnes would sign him for the sake of it, it would be with a view to him playing.

Never knew a lot of that and thanks for the info.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm 32 and my memory is fading a little but can you remind us when he broke into the team? And of all those several clubs that were interested why do you think nothing came of it?

Who knows what teams have came in for him previously but I would imagine playing for his boyhood heros is a massive draw for him so it needn't had mattered. Your well ott.

Ronniekirk
05-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Is he not about to get married He will rightly look at other offers imo and see whats on offer else where
If we stay in the Championship he is unlikely to stay Despite what His detractors on this thread say He is better than the Championship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brightside
05-05-2016, 02:03 PM
nah he wouldn't. Reynolds, considine and taylor all better players.

ffs....

SJM
05-05-2016, 02:09 PM
ffs....

Great input.

FromTheCapital
05-05-2016, 02:10 PM

Hanlon is twice the player of both Considine and Taylor imo

scoopyboy
05-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Never knew a lot of that and thanks for the info.

No probs SJM

Green-Hibee-7
05-05-2016, 02:14 PM
IMO if we are playing 5 at the back with Hanlon, Fontaine and McGregor, he has to play on the left side for me. His distribution and being able to carry the ball out of defence is so much better than Fontaine. Lost count how many times last night we would pass it along the back to Fontaine and McGregor and it was aimlessly punted down the channels to a raith player or out the park.

SJM
05-05-2016, 02:15 PM
Hanlon is twice the player of both Considine and Taylor imo

Yet both play for a side miles ahead of us and have been for seasons now? Can't see how you can work that out tbh.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 02:17 PM
Who knows what teams have came in for him previously but I would imagine playing for his boyhood heros is a massive draw for him so it needn't had mattered. Your well ott.

Playing for your boyhood heroes means nothing where money is concerned, Hanlon is no different from any other player, if a bigger club came in with bigger money he would have been off in a heartbeat, like many many players before him.

Can you tell me how many years ago it was he broke into the team?

1987kev
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM
imo when in the premier league I was thought he was out muscled to easy that why I think we lose a lot of goals from crosses he reads the game well and has a turn of pace but in the air and on strength is not the best.

scoopyboy
05-05-2016, 02:18 PM

One English club made an offer to him when Butcher told him he was free to go.

However when they returned to training LD sacked TB and told Paul he wasn't free to go.

The club weren't interested in paying a fee as they thought they were getting him for nothing.

So Gail, there's one reason that one club didn't sign him.

One day soon you could tell us why you really have it in for Paul Hanlon, I'm sure it goes further than you simply not rating him.

J-C
05-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Playing for your boyhood heroes means nothing where money is concerned, Hanlon is no different from any other player, if a bigger club came in with bigger money he would have been off in a heartbeat, like many many players before him.

12th Jan 2008, any good Hibs fan would know that.

Also seeing as Hibs played in the top Scottish division and if his wages were good, why would he want to play anywhere else.

FromTheCapital
05-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Yet both play for a side miles ahead of us and have been for seasons now? Can't see how you can work that out tbh.

It doesn't matter what side they play for!

Taylor and Considine are both a liability and have cost Aberdeen a shed load of points in the title race.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 02:24 PM
12th Jan 2008, any good Hibs fan would know that.

Also seeing as Hibs played in the top Scottish division and if his wages were good, why would he want to play anywhere else.

Wow 8 years ago, has it really been that long. We are so lucky to have him.

And scoopy? for you to only give us 1 concrete offer suggests there has only ever been ONE in the 8 years he has been here.

I don't rate him and I am entitled to my opinion, I feel 8 years is more than enough to prove yourself good enough. He is playing where he is for a reason.

SJM
05-05-2016, 02:25 PM

He's probably on as much money as the best defenders in the country outwith the old firm so if other sides came in for him why would he move? He's at his level IMO.

About 8 years. Point?

SJM
05-05-2016, 02:27 PM
It doesn't matter what side they play for!

Taylor and Considine are both a liability and have cost Aberdeen a shed load of points in the title race.

Are they? They have conceded as much in the Prem as we have in this **** league and hanlon is prone to mistakes too and has cost us goal and points like at St Mirren a couple of weeks back and was lucky at Hampden. Not the kind of thing expected for a player twice the player as the defenders in the second best side in the country I would say.

hibbysam
05-05-2016, 02:29 PM

And scoopy? for you to only give us 1 concrete offer suggests there has only ever been ONE in the 8 years he has been here.

I don't rate him and I am entitled to my opinion, I feel 8 years is more than enough to prove yourself good enough. He is playing where he is for a reason.

Even if it was one, that's one more than you keep telling us has been made.

We get you don't rate him, you don't need to go on about it every single time his name is mentioned. You have a go at every person saying why they rate him, yet you fail to give any reason why you don't rate him. Very strange.

He is playing where he is, as he was unfortunately injured during a period of time where we nosedived into the Championship, Paul Hanlon had no say in that at all. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 02:30 PM
Even if it was one, that's one more than you keep telling us has been made.

We get you don't rate him, you don't need to go on about it every single time his name is mentioned. You have a go at every person saying why they rate him, yet you fail to give any reason why you don't rate him. Very strange.

He is playing where he is, as he was unfortunately injured during a period of time where we nosedived into the Championship, Paul Hanlon had no say in that at all. I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

Ok boss :aok:

scoopyboy
05-05-2016, 02:38 PM

I know of more but am not prepared to divulge on here.

You are perfectly entitled not to rate him and I respect that.

However the other day you blamed him for us losing at Palmerston and Starks Park yet I pointed out he wasn't even playing. Surprisingly you never got back to me on that one.:greengrin

KWJ
05-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Just gonna leave this here.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/15531286

Brightside
05-05-2016, 02:40 PM
So is mcGinn therefore not as good as any Patrick Thistle player? There is no logic in what you state.

KWJ
05-05-2016, 02:43 PM
I feel 8 years is more than enough to prove yourself good enough. He is playing where he is for a reason.

Because he's good enough.

And in the opinion of many, many others on here - he's good enough to be playing at a higher level, maybe a much higher level.

Not that it impacts his game but for me I appreciate the way he carries himself about the pitch. He has the gait of a cultured player and is very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

His physical game has come on heaps the past 2-3 years.

I'd be gutted if we lost him although I also like Fonts and Daz. Great to be able to play 2 Hibees at centre back.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 02:44 PM

However the other day you blamed him for us losing at Palmerston and Starks Park yet I pointed out he wasn't even playing. Surprisingly you never got back to me on that one.:greengrin

You're right, I assumed he was playing after the debacle that was the Morton game, but he sure as hell was in the following game against Dumbarton where we were 3-0 down which for any full time team was a disgrace, and he was at fault for at least 2 of those goals.

I am only human Scoopy, I made a mistake and I apologise.

pacoluna
05-05-2016, 02:45 PM

2010/2011 season under yogi was his big break through , he was linked to Fulham, Aberdeen and st johnstone. He has improved and gained experience but when he first broke through i expected him to be a top player/ internationalist. So I can see both sides of the argument regarding Hanlon. In my opinion though he is good enough for the SPL and Hibs.

SunshineOnLeith
05-05-2016, 02:46 PM
You're right, I assumed he was playing after the debacle that was the Morton game, but he sure as hell was in the following game against Dumbarton where we were 3-0 down which for any full time team was a disgrace, and he was at fault for at least 2 of those goals.

Neither Morton nor Dumbarton play at Palmerston or Starks Park.

scoopyboy
05-05-2016, 02:52 PM

A fair response.

It was in the Dumbarton game he picked up his injury.

1987kev
05-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Just gonna leave this here.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/15531286

Yet he's playin first division football in Scotland

SJM
05-05-2016, 02:54 PM
So is mcGinn therefore not as good as any Patrick Thistle player? There is no logic in what you state.

Did I say that? I would say we are as good if not better than Partick. We are not and haven't been better than Aberdeen for many seasons now and they defenders from their defence.

J-C
05-05-2016, 02:56 PM

I take it during that time the Scotland U21 and U19 managers were not seeing what you see in Hanlon because they made him their respective captains, aye crap players get 23 U21 caps and also made captain.

I'd still love to know exactly what Paul has done to you personally for you to hate him so much, your abhorrence for him is quite disturbing TBH.

Brightside
05-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Did I say that? I would say we are as good if not better than Partick. We are not and haven't been better than Aberdeen for many seasons now and they defenders from their defence.

Eh? I was sure we knocked them out of the cup? Even with our poor strikers against their top class defenders? Odd.

Brightside
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM
I take it during that time the Scotland U21 and U19 managers were not seeing what you see in Hanlon because they made him their respective captains, aye crap players get 23 U21 caps and also made captain.

I'd still love to know exactly what Paul has done to you personally for you to hate him so much, your abhorrence for him is quite disturbing TBH.

Dirty Sanchez?

pacoluna
05-05-2016, 03:03 PM

Genuine question.. This not a dig at Hanlon! but in your opinion why do you think he hasn't made the step up to the senior Scotland squad? we haven't exactly been blessed with top center backs.

SJM
05-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Eh? I was sure we knocked them out of the cup? Even with our poor strikers against their top class defenders? Odd.

Eh, I'm sure they are second in the Premier League whilst we finished below Falkirk. One off cup game regardless they are a better side than us, not sure how anyone can debate that. We lost to Alloa and Dumbarton in one off games.

Poor strikers? Where did you get that from?

Top class defenders? No, they play in Scotland, still better than Hanlon.

Aldo
05-05-2016, 03:08 PM

You think Fontaine is too good for this division. Fontaine was woeful last night.

Brightside
05-05-2016, 03:08 PM
Genuine question.. This not a dig at Hanlon! but in your opinion why do you think he hasn't made the step up to the senior Scotland squad? we haven't exactly been blessed with top center backs.

Coz he plays for Hibs. If he left and went to Aberdeen for example he'd be in that squad very quickly. If (more likely) he goes down south he will also be in the squad quickly.

SJM
05-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Coz he plays for Hibs. If he left and went to Aberdeen for example he'd be in that squad very quickly. If (more likely) he goes down south he will also be in the squad quickly.

How did McGinn get in the squad in that case?

Brown, Murray, Whittaker and Griffiths and occonnor all played for Scotland while at us too.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 03:15 PM

Any amount of players have been capped at that level, it means nothing if you don't progress to the full squad,of which he has never came close.

Chriss hogg was England under 21 captain and whatever became of him?

I DO NOT HATE anyone, least of all Paul Hanlon, I just don't get the high status he has amongst some of our support.

Any player we have EVER had since the 60s that has been of quality has lasted nowhere near 8 years at the club, Hanlon is no different.

Celtic even came in and took Yogi ffs.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Brown, Murray, Whittaker and Griffiths and occonnor all played for Scotland while at us too.
Don't expect an answer anytime soon on that one.

How come you are arguing with me on his attributes yet saying the opposite on other posts?

What does your J stand for? You seem to be stirring it big time, and I get accused of trolling?

SJM
05-05-2016, 03:49 PM
Don't expect an answer anytime soon on that one.

How come you are arguing with me on his attributes yet saying the opposite on other posts?

What does your J stand for? You seem to be stirring it big time, and I get accused of trolling?

Sirring aye? :greengrin you are making out Hanlon is utter pony when he's not. Hes a run of the mill Scottish League player that you have unhealthy hatrid for missus. Some people have an over inflated view of the laddie, I'm arguing that case but he's hardly as ***** as you make out.

It stands for John, it's not the hardest to work out :aok:

SJM
05-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Any amount of players have been capped at that level, it means nothing if you don't progress to the full squad,of which he has never came close.

I DO NOT HATE anyone, least of all Paul Hanlon, I just don't get the high status he has amongst some of our support.

Any player we have EVER had since the 60s that has been of quality has lasted nowhere near 8 years at the club, Hanlon is no different.

Hoggy was never England under 21 captain.

Celtic didn't sign Yogi from us.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Hoggy was never England under 21 captain.

Celtic didn't sign Yogi from us.

Shows you what I know then huh? But you get my point.

Btw I never said Hanlon was *****, I said we have persisted with him long enough and he's not good enough.

Underscore said we don't want to go back to the days of Rob Jones? and have moved on? What a joke that is.

SJM
05-05-2016, 04:08 PM

Btw I never said Hanlon was *****, I said we have persisted with him long enough and he's not good enough.

Underscore said we don't want to go back to the days of Rob Jones? and have moved on? What a joke that is.

Fair enough, I actually agree that I wouldn't be too gutted if he left and we perhaps get better.

Jones was miles better than Hanlon, I don't care what anyone says.

silverhibee
05-05-2016, 04:14 PM

Back problem.

KWJ
05-05-2016, 04:14 PM

How many caps did those guys get while playing for Hibs? I'm gonna say that it's less than 10 even combined. O'Connor, LG Brown picked up some but more after moving on. I dont' think Murray or Whittaker got any while at Hibs.

Hanlon has mostly been part of brutal Hibs teams that were particularly bad at the back. You could say he's the common denominator but I think it's slowed down his progression.

The guy's a Hibs fan, sometimes captain and has played around 250 games for the club. Even if he was pish I'd have time for him but I reckon he's a good player and will make the Scotland team at some point, that will probably be quicker should he leave Hibs.

SJM
05-05-2016, 04:17 PM
How many caps did those guys get while playing for Hibs? I'm gonna say that it's less than 10 even combined. O'Connor, LG Brown picked up some but more after moving on. I dont' think Murray or Whittaker got any while at Hibs.

Hanlon has mostly been part of brutal Hibs teams that were particularly bad at the back. You could say he's the common denominator but I think it's slowed down his progression.

The guy's a Hibs fan, sometimes captain and has played around 250 games for the club. Even if he was pish I'd have time for him but I reckon he's a good player and will make the Scotland team at some point, that will probably be quicker should he leave Hibs.

It doesn't matter how many caps they got fact is they did at hibs as did sparky.

I don't think he's good enough to play for Scotland.

mmmmhibby
05-05-2016, 04:17 PM
He absolutely would.

Care to elaborate why he would?

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Could it just be possible that part of the reason those brutal Hibs teams were particularly bad at the back be a result of Hanlon? Or was it all the other defenders fault?

Wee Lewey has been there longer than Hanlon, busts a gut and never gives anything less than 100% even though he has been played all over the park and out of position. He takes an outrageous amount of abuse by some, totally unwarranted.

I happen to think Hanlon is a decent footballer, he is just rank rotten at centre half. He played a game in midfield this season, he applied himself admirably and did ok. Ask him to defend high balls into the box however and you are as well having Stevie Wonder as your CH.

silverhibee
05-05-2016, 04:26 PM

Not true, or Riordan would have been off to Germany Russia Belgium England in a heartbeat, all countries who had clubs after his services and offering more money than he was on at Hibs.

KWJ
05-05-2016, 04:32 PM
Not true, or Riordan would have been off to Germany Russia Belgium England in a heartbeat, all countries who had clubs after his services and offering more money than he was on at Hibs.

Some players are home boys. I doubt Riordan would have left to those clubs had he been playing for any other SPL team.

Sproule knocked back Dnipro.

KWJ
05-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Could it just be possible that part of the reasons those brutal Hibs teams were particularly bad at the back be a result of Hanlon? Or was it all the other defenders fault?

Wee Lewey has been there longer than Hanlon, busts a gut and never gives anything less than 100% even though he has been played all over the park and out of position. He takes an outrageous amount of abuse by some, totally unwarranted.

I happen to think Hanlon is a decent footballer, he is just rank rotten at centre half. He played a game in midfield this season, he applied himself admirably and did ok. Ask him to defend high balls into the box however and you are as well having Stevie Wonder as your CH.

He was partly at fault in those bad defenses but has progressed since then. I agree that he struggled at CH as many young defenders do but as I said before, in the past few seasons he has become a far stronger centre half and in my opinion deals with cross balls pretty well.

Bit in bold is hyperbolic pish.

easty
05-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Ask him to defend high balls into the box however and you are as well having Stevie Wonder as your CH.

Even by the normal standard of ***** you post about Hanlon, that's a belter. You're clueless.

easty
05-05-2016, 04:41 PM
Care to elaborate why he would?

He'd be their best centre half.

silverhibee
05-05-2016, 04:43 PM

Were Fulham not interested in him at some point but a change of manager at Fulham may have scuppered that move.

1987kev
05-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Could it just be possible that part of the reasons those brutal Hibs teams were particularly bad at the back be a result of Hanlon? Or was it all the other defenders fault?

So you think Hanlon not good enough but you think Lewis is?

1987kev
05-05-2016, 04:53 PM

Albanian Hibs
05-05-2016, 05:09 PM

You said it..you know nothing. Did Hanlon dump you or turn you down one night? He is a Hibs player, one of the better ones. Your hatred for him is very very frightening.

Also you didnt say he was ***** but you think he isnt good enough??? Same difference eh?

oconnors_strip
05-05-2016, 05:21 PM

Chris Hogg suffered a bad knee injury at Inverness after he moved there from hibs. Before that he was playing well up there and getting high marks every game :wink:

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 05:25 PM

Lewey hasn't cost us the amount of goals Hanlon has I would bet my life on that. If Lewey had played like Hanlon had in that semi against Utd they would be calling for his head on here, Hanlon looked like an amateur at times in that game and nothing is said.
Lewey had a far better game than Hanlon last night but there is yet another thread on here stating how wonderful a player Hanlon is, go figure.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 05:29 PM
You said it..you know nothing. Did Hanlon dump you or turn you down one night? He is a Hibs player, one of the better ones. Your hatred for him is very very frightening.

Also you didnt say he was ***** but you think he isnt good enough??? Same difference eh?

At the risk of sounding boring, and everyone please pay attention.
I DO NOT HATE PAUL HANLON, I have never HATED anyone in my life, far be it a Hibs player.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Lewey hasn't cost us the amount of goals Hanlon has I would bet my life on that. If Lewey had played like Hanlon had in that semi against Utd they would be calling for his head on here, Hanlon looked like an amateur at times in that game and nothing is said.
Lewey had a far better game than Hanlon last night but there is yet another thread on here stating how wonderful a player Hanlon is, go figure.

If you thought Hanlon was poor last night, you must want Fontaine castrated. :rolleyes:

tamig
05-05-2016, 05:35 PM
I like McGregor but I just don't see where anybody can see him as a better player than Hanlon. He's harder than Hanlon and maybe just about shades it defensively in the air. But that's about it for me. Hanlon is an excellent footballer and to suggest we wouldn't miss him is a bit rash imo.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 05:40 PM
If you thought Hanlon was poor last night, you must want Fontaine castrated. :rolleyes:

I didn't say he was poor last night, you could say he was culpable at the goal though given he is our best defender. Why do we lose so many headed goals, why have we lost so many headed goals in the past christ knows how many years? Why do managers like Houston say we cannot defend cross balls?

bigwheel
05-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Hanlon is without doubt our best defender ...he has improved immensely over the last two seasons - it would be very hard with our funds to replace him. If he goes he will leave a big hole in our squad - not one easy to fill ...I'm not saying he is perfect , far from it - but anyone who doesn't rate him, will notice his value when he is not there. He will get a good move if he chooses to go ...

1987kev
05-05-2016, 05:42 PM

There is more chance of a centre halfs mistake costing a goal than a left back. Even stevie wonder can see Hanlon better than lewis 😉 . Also this myth about Lewis gives 100% every week does every player not give 100% ???

SunshineOnLeith
05-05-2016, 05:43 PM

Didn't we keep a clean sheet in the semi final?

You were probably angry that he didn't score his penalty in the shootout well enough :rolleyes:

Pete
05-05-2016, 05:49 PM
So to summarise...Gail hates Paul Hanlon?

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2016, 05:50 PM
I didn't say he was poor last night, you could say he was culpable at the goal though given he is our best defender. Why do we lose so many headed goals, why have we lost so many headed goals in the past christ knows how many years? Why do managers like Houston say we cannot defend cross balls?

You know diddly squat about Hibs if you think our centre half marks the front post from corners.:confused: How many goals have we actually lost from crosses that were Pauls man?

hibbysam
05-05-2016, 05:53 PM
You know diddly squat about Hibs if you think our centre half marks the front post from corners.:confused: How many goals have we actually lost from crosses that were Pauls man?

One of McGinn or Bartley along with Conrad last night at fault for the goal, McGinn ducked so not sure if it was a mistake by him or if he got a shout from behind him, and Conrad just threw himself into no mans land.

Paul Hanlon getting the blame when he was marking a player at the back post throws any credibility, of which there wasn't any already, straight out the window Gail.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Didn't we keep a clean sheet in the semi final?

You were probably angry that he didn't score his penalty in the shootout well enough :rolleyes:
We kept a clean sheet due to Conrad Logan, despite Hanlon's blunders.

He took his penalty supremely well, as good a penalty as you are likely to see and top marks to him for stepping up and taking one after having a **** game.:aok:

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2016, 05:57 PM

Hanlon has definitely improved a hell of a lot over the last couple of seasons.

Can't remember if it was his man or not but the 1st goal Falkirk scored the other week looked a bit dodgy from him?

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 06:03 PM

Ok I know diddly squat, and we haven't lost any goals that were directly linked to Paul Hanlon :aok:

I go to more games than most and I am entitled to my opinion, you can sit in your comfy armchair and give yours. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2016, 06:13 PM
Ok I know diddly squat, and we haven't lost any goals that were directly linked to Paul Hanlon :aok:

I go to more games than most and I am entitled to my opinion, you can sit in your comfy armchair and give yours. :wink:

There you go again talking sheite, i never said he'd not been responsible for mistakes in the past, i asked you which ones were his fault from crosses into the box?

mmmmhibby
05-05-2016, 06:13 PM
He'd be their best centre half.

That would be your opinion of course....I disagree.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 06:33 PM
There you go again talking sheite, i never said he'd not been responsible for mistakes in the past, i asked you which ones were his fault from crosses into the box?In the 8 years he has been at the club I doubt Paul has been at fault with any of them, but hang on a few weeks and I shall check every game and get back to you.

northstandhibby
05-05-2016, 07:01 PM
Not into openly criticising current players overly. We lost one goal. It happens in most games. If they score one we should be able to overcome that by scoring ourselves. We can still do it at a noisy ER on Saturday. Come on Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
05-05-2016, 07:03 PM
In the 8 years he has been at the club I doubt Paul has been at fault with any of them, but hang on a few weeks and I shall check every game and get back to you.

So none have stuck in your head then?

Hi Heid Yin
05-05-2016, 09:28 PM

The bits in bold are good, solid points. We certainly do lose a lot of headed goals. Just think of the two conceded in the last few minutes to Falkirk. Where on earth was our defence?

J-C
05-05-2016, 11:37 PM

Poor coaching/management, playing in a team that has struggled this past 5-6 years and a couple of injuries that has hampered his development

As you may be aware Hogg only had U19 caps and Yogi came to Hibs from Celtic but as a Hibs fan you should've known that,

Could it just be possible that part of the reason those brutal Hibs teams were particularly bad at the back be a result of Hanlon? Or was it all the other defenders fault?

The brutal teams were managed by brutal managers, Hughes(2nd season), Mixu, Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher...yep some beauties they were, how many players developed under them, jeez we even had Fenlon playing a one footed Stevenson at RB, yeh that helped.

Hanlon is not the answer to Scotland's defensive problems but he's a decent CB who is at the level he is, whether it's with us or someone in the premiership next season.

Allant1981
06-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Sorry but thats just wrong on so many levels, plenty of hibs players have been picked for scotland, including this season and thats us playing in the first division. I think he is a decent enough player but if he went down south to play against stronger, quicker players he would struggle big time, he struggles up here some times, again i think he is decent enough but never good enough to play at a high level in england

Allant1981
06-05-2016, 06:38 AM
Hanlon is without doubt our best defender ...he has improved immensely over the last two seasons - it would be very hard with our funds to replace him. If he goes he will leave a big hole in our squad - not one easy to fill ...I'm not saying he is perfect , far from it - but anyone who doesn't rate him, will notice his value when he is not there. He will get a good move if he chooses to go ...

It wouldnt cost a lot of money to replace him, we got mcgregor who is just as good if not better for free

bigwheel
06-05-2016, 06:54 AM
It wouldnt cost a lot of money to replace him, we got mcgregor who is just as good if not better for free

We disagree on that point- McGregor has done well, but he is no Hanlon - and Stubbs thinks that also. I'd add also, if it is that easy, how come we have failed to replace at that level since Rob Jones was here ?

Allant1981
06-05-2016, 07:29 AM
We disagree on that point- McGregor has done well, but he is no Hanlon - and Stubbs thinks that also. I'd add also, if it is that easy, how come we have failed to replace at that level since Rob Jones was here ?

We arent talking about rob jones though are we? We are talking about hanlon, but rob jones had his faults as well, just so happens he captained us to a cup final win so qll his faults are forgotten about, all about opinions i suppose but i rate mcgregor more than hanlon and others will disagree

hibs69
06-05-2016, 07:50 AM
Must admit, I do feel more assured when opponents attacks are right sided with Hanlon there. McGregor is good, but I always think he's seconds away from a memorable howler.

Betty Boop
06-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Who's Gail anyway ?

FranckSuzy
06-05-2016, 09:17 AM
Who's Gail anyway ?

:tee hee:

I have visions of her (if it's a female) following Paul Hanlon and behaving like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y84VLZlIX5I) :faf: