PDA

View Full Version : Up and Down

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 09:03 AM
I have read all the threads since the Raith game and have a few observations to make:

Wonderful we took 2700 to the game, which is a great effort and hopefully not lost on the players. I am sure they appreciated the backing. And I feel really sorry for our fans, trudging away after a defeat.

I feel it is the frustration we feel, as a support, that is sometimes getting the better of us. It is not a case of are you positive or negative about the next match or our club? It is how do you deal with the position we are in (in terms of league) and the nature of football...win some, lose some. Yes we are a premier league team, battling to get back there from the murky depths of the Championship, but we may take 3 years to do it rather than one, in previous times. It may be this year - hopefully.

Stubbs has always said 'promotion is the priority', but if you do well enough to get into 2 cup finals, then that is an achievement. Perhaps at the expense of the league campaign. Is he supposed to say...lads please don't beat this premier league Hearts team tonight in the cup, as I want you rested and focussed for the Alloa game? I think not.

From what I can see, as a club, we are night and day from the awful stuff we had when we got relegated. That hurt us all. However, Hibs have re-grouped, sharpened up and had some fantastic moments, and some good runs, under Lee-Anne and Stubbsy. Who would want the job after Butcher? Give him credit for building a very good team. Sure we have off days, this is football, and wasn't he the 'man of the moment' - especially on these forums - when we were going so well earlier in the season?

I guess I am saying, accept the frustration, but always support the team. Hard I know. We are in the Scottish Cup Final FFS, and people are calling for our managers head? May is the month of judgement for this season. If Hibs win the cup and get promoted then it will be our finest year. Do one and this is a good year. Do neither then that is football.

The only constant in May, will be my, and yours hopefully, belief we can do anything in football...beating Rangers/Celtic. We shall fight to be promoted - my prediction 3 - 0 Hibs on Saturday - and we will win the Scottish Cup! The grail fellow Hibees. We are in with a decent shout of winning. This is a time to not let frustration get the better of us. Continue, as you do, supporting our Club in exciting and dramatic times.

Always proud to be a Hibs fan.

Steve20
05-05-2016, 09:14 AM
Getting to two cup finals is meaningless if you lose them both. Actually have to win one of them for it to mean something.

When Butcher got us relegated, should we have just said "oh well, that's football" and kept him on? Course not. So, if we don't go up, why should a manager who has been brought in to get us out this league be kept on having failed to do it twice?

The results are poor, the performances aren't actually good and he has no idea his best team/formation yet and we're over 45 games into this season.

ekhibee
05-05-2016, 09:29 AM
I have read all the threads since the Raith game and have a few observations to make:

Wonderful we took 2700 to the game, which is a great effort and hopefully not lost on the players. I am sure they appreciated the backing. And I feel really sorry for our fans, trudging away after a defeat.

I feel it is the frustration we feel, as a support, that is sometimes getting the better of us. It is not a case of are you positive or negative about the next match or our club? It is how do you deal with the position we are in (in terms of league) and the nature of football...win some, lose some. Yes we are a premier league team, battling to get back there from the murky depths of the Championship, but we may take 3 years to do it rather than one, in previous times. It may be this year - hopefully.

Stubbs has always said 'promotion is the priority', but if you do well enough to get into 2 cup finals, then that is an achievement. Perhaps at the expense of the league campaign. Is he supposed to say...lads please don't beat this premier league Hearts team tonight in the cup, as I want you rested and focussed for the Alloa game? I think not.

From what I can see, as a club, we are night and day from the awful stuff we had when we got relegated. That hurt us all. However, Hibs have re-grouped, sharpened up and had some fantastic moments, and some good runs, under Lee-Anne and Stubbsy. Who would want the job after Butcher? Give him credit for building a very good team. Sure we have off days, this is football, and wasn't he the 'man of the moment' - especially on these forums - when we were going so well earlier in the season?

I guess I am saying, accept the frustration, but always support the team. Hard I know. We are in the Scottish Cup Final FFS, and people are calling for our managers head? May is the month of judgement for this season. If Hibs win the cup and get promoted then it will be our finest year. Do one and this is a good year. Do neither then that is football.

The only constant in May, will be my, and yours hopefully, belief we can do anything in football...beating Rangers/Celtic. We shall fight to be promoted - my prediction 3 - 0 Hibs on Saturday - and we will win the Scottish Cup! The grail fellow Hibees. We are in with a decent shout of winning. This is a time to not let frustration get the better of us. Continue, as you do, supporting our Club in exciting and dramatic times.

Always proud to be a Hibs fan.
A very well-written post and I agree with most of it too. There's still plenty to play for. My concern is that Stubbs and the team keep giving a biased media all the ammunition they need. If, and at the moment it is still an 'if', we stay down this will be the longest we've been out of the top flight of Scottish football. And Stubbs has been the manager during all that time. This season particularly, there is no excuse. He was given a healthy amount to spend as well. So the pressure's on him and the team to get a result on Sat against Raith, because if they don't, IMO his position is in serious doubt. That said, I think we can, and will beat Raith by the odd goal or two. Lets get behind the team, once more, and see if they can pull it off.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 09:35 AM
Getting to two cup finals is meaningless if you lose them both. Actually have to win one of them for it to mean something.

When Butcher got us relegated, should we have just said "oh well, that's football" and kept him on? Course not. So, if we don't go up, why should a manager who has been brought in to get us out this league be kept on having failed to do it twice?

The results are poor, the performances aren't actually good and he has no idea his best team/formation yet and we're over 45 games into this season.

Off course we were right to ditch Terry Butcher. Stubbs was brought in to re-build the team, which he has done. We have played some great football this year - more to come - some dreadful games too...but we are heading in the right direction is what I am saying. If we appointed a duffer of a manager we might be doing the play-offs for Division 1.

If Hibs supporters don't believe we can get promotion or win the cup, then why should the players? I believe in both, have moved on from the disappointment of Raith and look forward to a much happier next 6 games. I have a gut feeling Hibs will come through on all fronts...I may be biased, I may be disappointed...but whatever happens....a Hibs fan

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 09:48 AM
A very well-written post and I agree with most of it too. There's still plenty to play for. My concern is that Stubbs and the team keep giving a biased media all the ammunition they need. If, and at the moment it is still an 'if', we stay down this will be the longest we've been out of the top flight of Scottish football. And Stubbs has been the manager during all that time. This season particularly, there is no excuse. He was given a healthy amount to spend as well. So the pressure's on him and the team to get a result on Sat against Raith, because if they don't, IMO his position is in serious doubt. That said, I think we can, and will beat Raith by the odd goal or two. Lets get behind the team, once more, and see if they can pull it off.

Yes I agree Stubbsy needs to calm down on the media front, let his team do the talking.

These are strange times for Scottish football. Dundee United relegated, Ross County in the Premier League! Who would have predicted that 15 years ago? But we must face reality. We are fighting to get out of the Championship, which is probably harder than getting 6/7th in the premier league in some ways. I have been impressed with Stubbs as our manager, and don't think he deserves a lot of the criticism he is getting. He knows his team and capabilities better than any one of us. He may get it wrong sometimes, but we are human. I have faith in him as we enter this crucial phase. He at least deserves a chance, after resurrecting us from the ashes of the Butcher era.

jacomo
05-05-2016, 09:52 AM
Off course we were right to ditch Terry Butcher. Stubbs was brought in to re-build the team, which he has done. We have played some great football this year - more to come - some dreadful games too...but we are heading in the right direction is what I am saying. If we appointed a duffer of a manager we might be doing the play-offs for Division 1.

If Hibs supporters don't believe we can get promotion or win the cup, then why should the players? I believe in both, have moved on from the disappointment of Raith and look forward to a much happier next 6 games. I have a gut feeling Hibs will come through on all fronts...I may be biased, I may be disappointed...but whatever happens....a Hibs fan

:agree:

Hi Heid Yin
05-05-2016, 10:21 AM
Yes I agree Stubbsy needs to calm down on the media front, let his team do the talking.

These are strange times for Scottish football. Dundee United relegated, Ross County in the Premier League! Who would have predicted that 15 years ago? But we must face reality. We are fighting to get out of the Championship, which is probably harder than getting 6/7th in the premier league in some ways. I have been impressed with Stubbs as our manager, and don't think he deserves a lot of the criticism he is getting. He knows his team and capabilities better than any one of us. He may get it wrong sometimes, but we are human. I have faith in him as we enter this crucial phase. He at least deserves a chance, after resurrecting us from the ashes of the Butcher era.

All due respect, we will only be resurrrected from the ashes when we are back in the premier league. Butcher took us down and we are still down as I type. Until Alan Stubbs or another manager takes us back up we are far from resurrected.

Ozyhibby
05-05-2016, 10:25 AM

Heading in the right direction?
2nd last year, 3rd this year.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2016, 10:29 AM
Easy for the OP to post all that without having to suffer the frustration of attending all these defeats against pishy teams.

SlickShoes
05-05-2016, 10:33 AM

The team needs to give us something to believe IN! Something to get behind, put the pressure on, get an early goal.

I expect hibs to beat raith and falkirk, I will be at the games willing it to happen. I was also at various other games expecting us to win and getting behind the team and we didn't. You can't expect everyone to watch their team lose to lesser clubs and not get some negativity from that experience. Maybe they aren't lesser clubs maybe they are our level now. depressing.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 10:37 AM
Easy for the OP to post all that without having to suffer the frustration of attending all these defeats against pishy teams.

Aye, if I could travel 18,000km, there and back, for each game I would. Unfortunately I am not Richard Branson. But I am coming for the Cup Final. I stand with you in elation or heart broken...

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Im well aware of where you stay hence my post.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 10:44 AM
All due respect, we will only be resurrrected from the ashes when we are back in the premier league. Butcher took us down and we are still down as I type. Until Alan Stubbs or another manager takes us back up we are far from resurrected.

Disagree. The shambles we were in at relegation..we should have been second this year, we were not. But we are fighting for promotion still, and that what counts. As I am sure you are aware , who cares if we were third and get promoted.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 10:48 AM
Im well aware of where you stay hence my post.

Fair enough. I do watch games on Hibs TV, when available. But there is nothing like being there in person.

flash
05-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Aye, if I could travel 18,000km, there and back, for each game I would. Unfortunately I am not Richard Branson. But I am coming for the Cup Final. I stand with you in elation or heart broken...

To be fair you traveling 18000 miles more than matches any of our efforts.
Keep up the positive attitude. It's not a crime to show loyalty in hard times.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 10:53 AM
Heading in the right direction?
2nd last year, 3rd this year.

To be fair Rangers were a joke last year. Of course Falkirk beating us to second spot was not good, but the margin? And we will still beat them when it counts.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 11:02 AM
To be fair you traveling 18000 miles more than matches any of our efforts.
Keep up the positive attitude. It's not a crime to show loyalty in hard times.

To be fair..no. I admire the Hibs fan that attends week in and week out (many of you on here...much respect). That travels to Raith to support the team...that turns up when we are losing games... I will fly in for the glory game, and - hopefully the final play-off game on the Wednesday, wherever that may be.

Dunedin Hibs
05-05-2016, 11:17 AM
We are down, but very much in the mix for play off. And we are in the Scottish Cup Final! Let no man write off the mighty Hibernian FC. In Alan Stubbs we trust. In our team we must believe.