PDA

View Full Version : Good football myth

CapitalGreen
05-05-2016, 08:31 AM
Can we put to bed the myth that we play good football under Stubbs?

We have scored on average 1.6 goals per league game this season and conceded 1.

The play for the most part has been slow and ponderous. Our corners, free-kicks, and throw-ins are dreadful.

We have no width, no pace up front and a lack of creativity in midfield.

Our main tactic seems to be playing it long down the channels behind the opposition full backs, the very tactic Butcher was ridiculed for implementing during his brief spell in charge.

Green Fish
05-05-2016, 08:45 AM
I don't agree that the tactics are like TB.
The main problem as I see it is the tempo the team plays at which simply doesn't work against negative teams but is more effective against teams that give us space to play.
Key players have dipped, ie, Gray, what has happened to him. Mcginn and JC are struggling.

There is creativity there, we crested many chances last night but as usual don't take them.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Geo_1875
05-05-2016, 08:47 AM

The play for the most part has been slow and ponderous. Our corners, free-kicks, and throw-ins are dreadful.

Our main tactic seems to be playing it long down the channels behind the opposition full backs, the very tactic Butcher was ridiculed for implementing during his brief spell in charge.

We could put that on our badge. It's been like that for many years.

Ozyhibby
05-05-2016, 08:47 AM
He plays the exact same style of football as Fenlon. Only difference is that he is failing against inferior opposition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CapitalGreen
05-05-2016, 08:55 AM
Gretna scored 70 goals in this division.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2016, 09:15 AM
I don't agree that the tactics are like TB.
The main problem as I see it is the tempo the team plays at which simply doesn't work against negative teams but is more effective against teams that give us space to play.
Key players have dipped, ie, Gray, what has happened to him. Mcginn and JC are struggling.

There is creativity there, we crested many chances last night but as usual don't take them.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

I subscribed to that theory until last night. Raith never sat in but we still couldn't break them down with the tippy tappy stuff.

The style of play is to blame for finishing 3rd and for the losing position we're sitting in.

Saturday's going to be a struggle against their 2 banks of 5.

Gatecrasher
05-05-2016, 09:16 AM

:agree: The way we play is utterly toothless, it doesn't work.

Sir David Gray
05-05-2016, 09:29 AM
It used to be good but over the last few months it has been a bore to watch us more often than not.

GreenPJ
05-05-2016, 09:37 AM
We do lack pace and tempo when we play but the biggest thing for me was that Stubbs should have signed a target man in the Jan window.

We have Cummings who has scored goals consistently and has missed goals even more consistently, his decision making is poor - he is by no means the finished article if he ever will be.

We have Stokes who was initially unfit, may have been a bit of a bad influence initially and whilst is now coming good and we are seeing that ability its generally 40 yards away from goal. He was signed as a striker but is never in the box to be on the end of chances.

We have Keatings who has ability, can score goals but seems to have a bit of an attitude problem.

We have Dagnall who in the first couple of games ran the channels and was making centre halves more uncomfortable than Stokes or Cummings but looks short of confidence and a rabbit in the headlights in front of goal.

We have Farid who was the alternative striker who could hold the ball up but it has been apparent for a long time that sadly his body is giving out on him and just can't do 20 mins never mind a game.

He should have gone for a target man in January instead of Dagnall given the game time he has had and so he had a plan B.

Am still confident we can win by the suitable margin on Saturday but we can't keep on doing this and if we do get through we can be as profligate against Falkirk.

Development strikers have not had a chance and would be a big risk to throw them in now.

CapitalGreen
05-05-2016, 09:57 AM
It used to be good but over the last few months it has been a bore to watch us more often than not.

Was it actually good football though? Yes we were winning but I remember for the most part being bored watching us beating the likes of Alloa, Morton, Livingston and Stranraer 1-0.