PDA

View Full Version : Pick your starting 11 for Saturday

Torto7062
05-05-2016, 08:00 AM
Seeing as we are a managers on here (joke) pick your 1st eleven and formation.
Mines 3-5-2 Gray and Boyle as wingback,no need for 5 defenders when they will sit deep,Boyle for pace on wing and Keatings to play off Stokes.

1.Logan
2.Hanlon
3.Fontaine
4.Mcgregor
5.Gray(rightwingback)
6.Boyle(leftwingback)
7.Fyvie
8.Mcgeough
9.Henderson
10.Keatings
11.Stokes

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

SJM
05-05-2016, 08:02 AM
Logan
Gunnarson
Mcgregor
Hanlon
Stevenson
Bartley
McGeough
Henderson
Boyle
Keattings
Stokes

flash
05-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Logan

Gunnarson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGeouch
McGinn

Keatings
Stokes.

Aldo
05-05-2016, 08:06 AM
Seeing as we are a managers on here (joke) pick your 1st eleven and formation. Mines 3-5-2 Gray and Boyle as wingback,no need for 5 defenders when they will sit deep,Boyle for pace on wing and Keatings to play off Stokes. 1.Logan 2.Hanlon 3.Fontaine 4.Mcgregor 5.Gray(rightwingback) 6.Boyle(leftwingback) 7.Fyvie 8.Mcgeough 9.Henderson 10.Keatings 11.Stokes Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You'd drop Lewis before Gray.

Lewis was easily our best player last night and his 2nd half performance was good.

Gray needs dropped and has needed dropped for a while.

Team I think should play

Logan

Gunnarrson MacGregor Hanlon

Boyle (RWB) McGeouch Marv Henderson Lewis(LWB)

Stokes Keatings

Team that Stubbs will pick

Don't have a clue although McGinn, Gray Cummings etc seem the ones he is loyal to so they will start

keep the faith
05-05-2016, 08:25 AM
I like Bartley but don't think we should be playing a holding midfielder in a game we are one down to Raith.

mmmmhibby
05-05-2016, 08:26 AM
In this league, playing raith rovers, I'd play a 3-4-3 and hit them from the second the game starts....no need for 5 in the middle, especially when we are struggling to break teams down and get crosses into box. Get 3 up front and smash them from the 1st whistle. Logan, Gunnarson, Mcgregor, Hanlon, McGeoch,Fyvie,Henderson,Boyle, Stokes, Cummings, Keatings.

Torto7062
05-05-2016, 08:26 AM

Lewis was easily our best player last night and his 2nd half performance was good.

Team I think should play

Logan

Stokes Keatings

Don't have a clue although McGinn, Gray Cummings etc seem the ones he is loyal to so they will start

I'm a big supporter of Lewis mate but just feel we need more instinctive attacking and Boyle pace would cause problems

Aldo
05-05-2016, 08:36 AM
I'm a big supporter of Lewis mate but just feel we need more instinctive attacking and Boyle pace would cause problems

Agreed but for me in place of Gray.

Boyle is right footed and would be cutting inside at every opportunity if played on the left.

I really think Boyle needs to play on Saturday but cannot see Stubbs dropping Gray!!

CallumLaidlaw
05-05-2016, 08:39 AM

Gray has been honking. Was out of position umpteen times last night and looked lost. Stevenson worked tirelessly and got a number of good balls into the box.

For me -

Logan

Boyle (RWB) McGeouch Fyvie Henderson Lewis(LWB)

Stokes Keatings

Rest McGinn, we don't need Fyvie AND Bartley in the same team as they both try to do the same job, and the centre backs seem more prepared to give the ball to Fyvie than Barltley when they drop deep to recieve. Cummings and Stokes isnt working. Stokes and Keatings seem to work as a pair better. Jason may make a good impact sub.

This is no way how the team will line up tho. Expect

Logan
Fontaine
Hanlon
McGregor
Gray
Stevenson
Bartley
Fyvie
McGinn
Cummings
Stokes

Kaiserclem
05-05-2016, 08:41 AM
This Raith team bullied us in the middle of the park, especially early on. We shouldn;t be playing a holding midfielder at home when 1-0 down but I feel we need Bartley to 'rough them up. My team would be:

Logan

McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine

Gunnarsson (lwb)
Boyle (rwb)
Bartley
McGeough
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

Libby Hibby
Logan

Gunnerson
McGregor
Hanlon (c)
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGeoch

Boyle
McGinn
Henderson

Stokes

LaMotta
Fontaine or McGregor to drop out as playing 3 CH's against a team that plays one striker is pointless.

Mcgeogh and Henderson in.

One of Bartley and Fyvie to drop out also.

Last night Mcginn was good in the first half and set up our only clear chance. He will start again Sat and Im not having all this knackered chat that someone started and lots of people are repeating like parrots.

Raith will be camped in their own half so there wont be much space for Boyle to exploit. Decision between Gray and Gunnarrson for the right hand slot....Gunnarssons height could be useful.

hibbypostie
05-05-2016, 08:45 AM
Logan
Gray
Hanlon
McGregor
Gunnarson
Stevenson
Bartley
Henderson
McGinn
Cummings
Stokes

3-5-2

Torto7062
05-05-2016, 08:47 AM
Gray has been honking. Was out of position umpteen times last night and looked lost. Stevenson worked tirelessly and got a number of good balls into the box.

For me -

Logan

Boyle (RWB) McGeouch Fyvie Henderson Lewis(LWB)

Stokes Keatings

Rest McGinn, we don't need Fyvie AND Bartley in the same team as they both try to do the same job, and the centre backs seem more prepared to give the ball to Fyvie than Barltley when they drop deep to recieve. Cummings and Stokes isnt working. Stokes and Keatings seem to work as a pair better. Jason may make a good impact sub.

This is no way how the team will line up tho. Expect

Logan
Fontaine
Hanlon
McGregor
Gray
Stevenson
Bartley
Fyvie
McGinn
Cummings
Stokes
I hear what u say about Gray but think his engine getting forward is what's needed..as for Cummings it's bench for me

Heisenberg
05-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie
McGeough
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

Bring on Cummings and McGinn if needs be in the second half. That's right Alan. A substitution.

Aldo
05-05-2016, 08:50 AM
I hear what u say about Gray but think his engine getting forward is what's needed..as for Cummings it's bench for me Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk This is my point Torto, Grays engine has blown a gasket. He was caught time and time again last night and was so predictable going forward. The Gray of 2 seasons ago Yes but the current Gray No. Agree with your thoughts on Cummings tho.

SeanWilson
05-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie
McGeough
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

Bring on Cummings and McGinn if needs be in the second half. That's right Alan. A substitution.

only change to that would be Gunnarson in at right back for the out of sorts Gray. I'd also be inclined to go 433 with Boyle up top with the other two (never gonna happen i know).

Lee
05-05-2016, 08:53 AM
Logan

Hanlon
McGregor
Gunnarson

Boyle

Mcgeough
Bartley
Henderson

Stevenson

Keatings
Stokes

Since90+2
05-05-2016, 08:56 AM
Fontaine was terrible last night so no chance I would have in on Saturday.

Gray also just does not offer enough going forward anymore as it looks to me like his legs have gone so I would play Gunnarson. Gunnarson has a decent engine and will atleast stretch teams out wide.

Henderson in for McGinn and Boyle needs to be included somwhere as he is vital given he is our only player with geniune pace.

Lee
05-05-2016, 08:58 AM
Boyle encouraged to push forward and Gunnarson can cover on the right when required.

Why was Gunnarson even dropped last night? He's earned the right to start ahead of Fontaine just now for me.

If fit, Mcgeough and Henderson have to start!

Torto7062
05-05-2016, 09:37 AM
I hear what u say about Gray but think his engine getting forward is what's needed..as for Cummings it's bench for me

I hear you mate I hear you

:flag:

J-C
05-05-2016, 09:39 AM
My team would be

Logan

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeouch
Bartley
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

Heisenberg
05-05-2016, 09:40 AM
only change to that would be Gunnarson in at right back for the out of sorts Gray. I'd also be inclined to go 433 with Boyle up top with the other two (never gonna happen i know).

Fair point and i'd agree. Gunnarrson has been very good recently.

Dr Jimmy
05-05-2016, 09:53 AM
----------------Logan---------

----Gunnerson McGregor Hanlon-------

Boyle Fyvie Bartley Henderson

----------McGeough----------

---------Keatings (but would have Farid if fit) Stokes-----

Bartley to cover and let the others get forward, including Gunnerson, who with Boyle can overload them on the ride side.
Stokes must play centrally and in the box, not out wide left.

jacomo
05-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Team I think should play

Logan

Stokes Keatings

I like your 11 a lot.

SJM
05-05-2016, 09:59 AM
My team would be

Logan

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeouch
Bartley
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

Me too. You set it up better than me on my phone though :greengrin

northstandhibby
05-05-2016, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=Lee;4671804]Logan

Hanlon
McGregor
Gunnarson

Boyle

Mcgeough
Bartley
Henderson

Stevenson

Keatings
Stokes[/QUOTE

That would be the team for me. Super John needs a rest. I like Fyvie but his passing must improve so it's Marv for me. Big Gunny is a must include also. Boyle as a constant pushing forward. Cummings has become a big time charlie recently so Keatings instead. Sounds good to me. With a big noisy support behind them on Saturday it could be a winner.

SlickShoes
05-05-2016, 10:28 AM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
McGeouch
Bartley
Henderson

Stokes
Gunnarsson

number9dream
05-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Logan
Gunnarsson McGregor Hanlon
Boyle Bartley McGeouch Henderson
Stokes
Keatings Cummings

Boyle and Henderson to hopefully fire a few decent deliveries in from the flanks, McGeouch to drive the team on from the middle and Stokes a bit deeper since he always drifts back anyway... Cummings told to play as an out and out poacher.

Fyvie & McGinn on to shore things up when we are 4-0 up... ahem.

SeanWilson
05-05-2016, 10:52 AM
Logan
Gunnarsson McGregor Hanlon
Boyle Bartley McGeouch Henderson
Stokes
Keatings Cummings

Boyle and Henderson to hopefully fire a few decent deliveries in from the flanks, McGeouch to drive the team on from the middle and Stokes a bit deeper since he always drifts back anyway... Cummings told to play as an out and out poacher.

Fyvie & McGinn on to shore things up when we are 4-0 up... ahem.

Stokes isn't required to play no. 10 with McGeouch in the team IMO. Stokes is an instinctive striker who has never been where he'd like to be in this team, due to trying far to hard to get hold of the ball himself.

Cummings needs dropped completely.

I'd love to see us go 433 and just absolutely go for it with perhaps Bartley/Fyvie picking up any counters prior to the defence.

Stokes, Keatings and Boyle with Henderson and McGeouch pulling the strings up top. Keatings and Boyle could do the drifting wide and Stokes can play a free role at centre forward

They are likely to park it and hope for the counter (why not if your them?) so we need to press them as high as possible with plenty energy.

HappyHanlon
05-05-2016, 11:02 AM
This Raith team bullied us in the middle of the park, especially early on. We shouldn;t be playing a holding midfielder at home when 1-0 down but I feel we need Bartley to 'rough them up. My team would be:

Logan

McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine

Gunnarsson (lwb)
Boyle (rwb)
Bartley
McGeough
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

Niklas replacing Fontaine and Lewis taking the LWB place and that's my team.

Scooter
05-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Logan
Gunnarson
Mcgregor
Hanlon
Stevenson
Bartley
McGeough
Henderson
Boyle
Keattings
Stokes

This

duffers
05-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Doesn't really matter what I say as McGinn, Cummings Gray etc will all be in the team anyway. Then, roughly about the 85th minute, he'll bring on a double sub hoping they can change the game in the last 5 minutes. Boing, and predictable.

Cod Boy
05-05-2016, 11:14 AM
Team will be tippy tippy sideway passing frightened to shoot against a raith team with everyone behind the ball.

Onion
05-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Logan

Gunnarson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Henderson
Bartley
McGeouch
McGinn

Keatings
Stokes.

Looks good to me. One things certain, Stubbs MUST make changes after last nights insipid display. Think I'm right in saying Cummings was brought in by Butcher for the first leg of the Hamilton PO match when all the other Hibs strikers couldn't buy a goal.

GGTTH07
05-05-2016, 11:17 AM
Same problem last couple of years.no real pace or quality delivery from wing backs.if we had Wallace and tavernier as our wing backs I think that would have been enough to stroll this league.stubbs should have addressed this last summer.the system we play is crying out for pace and quality from the wing backs.

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2016, 11:20 AM

It's not unusal for a manager to be loyal to his captain, top scorer and POTY is it?

hibee-boys
05-05-2016, 11:39 AM
We need some of our central midfielders getting beyond the strikers, Stokes is coming short or wide to collect the ball and we are lacking numbers in the box to get on the end of crosses.

Aldo
05-05-2016, 11:43 AM
It's not unusal for a manager to be loyal to his captain, top scorer and POTY is it?

Doesn't mean to say if they've played poorly they shouldn't be dropped.

And no it's not!

Danderhall Hibs
05-05-2016, 11:47 AM
Doesn't mean to say if they've played poorly they shouldn't be dropped.

And no it's not!

I agree but to drop all 3 would be brave. Imagine if he did and we got beat - Stubbs would be battered over the head with that.

Just like he is for daring to play the 352 that the majority seemed to want.

Edson Arantes
05-05-2016, 12:03 PM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie
McGeough
Henderson

Stokes
Keatings

This would be my team too.

CB_NO3
05-05-2016, 12:09 PM
Logan

Gunnarson
McGregor
Hanlon

Boyle
McGeough
Henderson
McGinn
Stevenson

Stokes
Keatings

DunblaneHibby
05-05-2016, 12:14 PM
This would be my team too.

Mine too

Brightside
05-05-2016, 12:22 PM
Assuming Raith will play with 1 up top again then its fair to say that a back 5 (two WBs) is daft. What we need to real width in midfield...Henderson, bartley, mcginn, dylan, fyvie...all do the majority of their work in the middle of the park... But the delivery from Stevenson and Gray out wide just isn't cutting it. Boyle must play wide right...but I've no idea who we can play wide left. We need someone who can drive to the byline and cutback for tap ins.

SJM
05-05-2016, 01:04 PM
What about an idea of sticking Stokes in midfield? He comes deep enough regardless and could be a replacement for McGinn. Keatings up top on his own.

Bishop Hibee
05-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Boyle
Fyvie
McGeoch
Henderson

Cummings
Stokes

NikGunnarsson
05-05-2016, 01:10 PM
Logan

Gunnarsson
McGregor
Hanlon

Stevenson Lwb
Boyle Rwb

McGeouch
Henderson
Fyvie

Keatings
Stokes

Drop Jason and hopefully Carmichael is back boy brings some thing different to the team

Smartie
05-05-2016, 01:15 PM
I agree but to drop all 3 would be brave. Imagine if he did and we got beat - Stubbs would be battered over the head with that.

Just like he is for daring to play the 352 that the majority seemed to want.

If we get beat then he'll rightly be getting battered over the head whatever he's done.

A manager should be able to spot when players are so out of form they shouldn't be in the team, irrespective of whether they are captain, POTY or top goalscorer. None of those things matter, picking the team to win this match matters. We've looked a better team whenever we have had fringe players of lower reputation in the side in the second half of this season and that must be looked at. Stubbs is paid to make difficult decisions and he said himself before the game last night that it is difficult leaving any of these players out when they're fit.

For me -

Logan

Gunnarson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley

McGeouch
Henderson

Boyle
Stokes
Keatings

4-3-3/ 4-5-1/ 2-5-3 when the fullbacks go forward.

They'll have one up front and will scarcely worry about getting anyone up to him. Our centre-halves can cope with that, Bartley can help if necessary to allow Stevenson and Gunnarson to get forward as much as possible.

Shame we don't have a natural left-winger but Keatings will be fine on the left with Stevenson piling past him.

Henderson and McGeouch have the energy and passing ability to drive us on from the middle of the park.

Stokes told to cut out the wandering, stay around the box and sniff out chances as the ball will be around there a lot.

Torto7062
06-05-2016, 09:20 AM
Stokes isn't required to play no. 10 with McGeouch in the team IMO. Stokes is an instinctive striker who has never been where he'd like to be in this team, due to trying far to hard to get hold of the ball himself.

Cummings needs dropped completely.

I'd love to see us go 433 and just absolutely go for it with perhaps Bartley/Fyvie picking up any counters prior to the defence.

Stokes, Keatings and Boyle with Henderson and McGeouch pulling the strings up top. Keatings and Boyle could do the drifting wide and Stokes can play a free role at centre forward

They are likely to park it and hope for the counter (why not if your them?) so we need to press them as high as possible with plenty energy.

Completely agree about Cummings

mmmmhibby
06-05-2016, 10:08 AM
Same problem last couple of years.no real pace or quality delivery from wing backs.if we had Wallace and tavernier as our wing backs I think that would have been enough to stroll this league.stubbs should have addressed this last summer.the system we play is crying out for pace and quality from the wing backs.

in a nutshell!!! Its that blatantly obvious that other teams know this.

CMac1988
06-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Something along the lines of this,

munchar
06-05-2016, 12:09 PM
In this league, playing raith rovers, I'd play a 3-4-3 and hit them from the second the game starts....no need for 5 in the middle, especially when we are struggling to break teams down and get crosses into box. Get 3 up front and smash them from the 1st whistle. Logan, Gunnarson, Mcgregor, Hanlon, McGeoch,Fyvie,Henderson,Boyle, Stokes, Cummings, Keatings.

McGinn for Fyvie.

mmmmhibby
06-05-2016, 12:16 PM
McGinn for Fyvie.

Aye, I meant to include mcginn instead of fyvie.

munchar
06-05-2016, 12:25 PM
Aye, I meant to include mcginn instead of fyvie.

Great minds think alike! 👍😄
Unfortunately, he will stick with a few of his regulars.
Stevenson played well against Raith, but Boyle will be more dangerous going forward in a game we must score at least twice in.

Aldo
06-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Stokes best position is playing on the shoulder of the last defender. He has the skill and ability to turn, beat them and then try a shot or lay it off.

Perfect example was against ICT in cup at ER.

I hope McGeouch starts as his drive and ability to beat a man will hopefully allow Stokes to play in final third rather than dropping too deep.

Stubbs needs to be brave I think cos they will park the bus.

Early goal would then force them out leaving space in behind them.

We must however take our chances when they come along.

LaMotta
06-05-2016, 01:25 PM
Stokes best position is playing on the shoulder of the last defender. He has the skill and ability to turn, beat them and then try a shot or lay it off.

Perfect example was against ICT in cup at ER.

I hope McGeouch starts as his drive and ability to beat a man will hopefully allow Stokes to play in final third rather than dropping too deep.

Stubbs needs to be brave I think cos they will park the bus.

Early goal would then force them out leaving space in behind them.

We must however take our chances when they come along.

Reckon Raith would still sit in at 1-0 to us Aldo, looking to hit us with sucker punch.

Aldo
06-05-2016, 01:47 PM
Reckon Raith would still sit in at 1-0 to us Aldo, looking to hit us with sucker punch.

Probably right Victor however this is why we MUST take our chances.

LaMotta
06-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Probably right Victor however this is why we MUST take our chances.

Agreed, as you say early goal is vital regardless!

Aldo
06-05-2016, 03:48 PM
Agreed, as you say early goal is vital regardless!

Yip early goal take pressure off and will hopefully settle us.

Smartie
06-05-2016, 03:54 PM
An early goal would obviously be very helpful but I'm more concerned about what would happen if we didn't get it.

We'll be playing against a stuffy team, set up to defend in numbers and it is quite conceivable that we'll go 20-30 minutes (maybe more) without scoring.

It is vital that the fans stick with the team and don't get on their back under these circumstances.

Their big lumps of defenders WILL tire and we have the chance to pick goals off against them throughout the game.

Too often we've made a spirited start to games, not scored and then got too desperate.

This is going to be tough.

heretoday
06-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Stokes best position is on the bench. Hopefully, we won't need him at all.

Hibstrooper
06-05-2016, 04:28 PM
We've looked most threatening recently when we've played 4-3-3 so I'd opt for that but have Henderson up near the top with the freedom to create.

Logan

Gunnerson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGeouch
McGinn

Henderson
Cummings
Stokes

That's how I'd line up but not expecting that's what we'd look like tomorrow

Super_JMcGinn
06-05-2016, 04:31 PM
Logan
Gunnarson
Mcgregor
Hanlon
Stevenson
Bartley
McGeough
Henderson
Boyle
Keattings
Stokes

Saved me typing :aok:

easty
06-05-2016, 04:33 PM
Basically our most important game of the season up to this point, and it's amazing how many folk would leave out Cummings and McGinn.

Our Player of the Year and our top goal scorer. 2 guys who made up half the nominees for the Championship Player of the Year.

But aye, let's just leave them out. Or bring them on as a sub if we need them.

Deary me.

Smartie
06-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Saved me typing :aok:

You sure about Hanlon? :wink:

This seems to be a popular team and is exactly the one I would go for too.

Smartie
06-05-2016, 04:45 PM
Basically our most important game of the season up to this point, and it's amazing how many folk would leave out Cummings and McGinn.

Our Player of the Year and our top goal scorer. 2 guys who made up half the nominees for the Championship Player of the Year.

Deary me.

Nobody's saying they are bad players and nobody is ungrateful for what they have contributed (well, I'm not anyway - far from it).

But I think it has been Stubbs' stubborn loyalty to players on reputation and persevering with combinations that patently don't work that have led to most of our problems in the second half of this season.

McGinn is a superb player, possibly our best player and WHEN FULLY FIT must be the first name on our team sheet. But anyone can see that he's dead on his feet, the sharpness he had - mentally and physically - just isn't there at the moment and he needs a rest. The other players that we have who can play his position are no mugs and we know we can rely on them. McGinn will be better for the rest and then we can see more of his best form later on on this gruelling run of fixtures.

Cummings and Stokes are a disastrous partnership. How many games have we won when they've played together? How many chances does Stokes miss as opposed to Cummings? How many balls go across the box with them both miles away? Stubbs' managerial career might rest on whether or not he can work out what to do with this one. Cummings is a superb player and has always been good for a goal in a big game. But Stubbs' job is to get a TEAM out that is best suited to winning the game, a combination of players who are better than the sum of the parts, NOT to decide who his best players are and somehow shoehorn them into a cohesive unit (which all too often appears to have been his approach up until now, to our great detriment).

I don't think Gray, our club captain, should play tomorrow either. But that is because of the situation we find ourselves in and the way we must approach the game tomorrow. Gray, Cummings and McGinn are amongst our best players and still have a major role to play in our remaining games but from the reasons I have outlined I don't think they are the best choices for the game tomorrow.

Spudster
06-05-2016, 04:51 PM
Logan
Gunnarson
Fontaine (purely cos he is more of a goal threat than McGregor)
Hanlon
Stevenson
Bartley
McGeough
Henderson
Boyle
Keattings
Stokes

Super_JMcGinn
06-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Stokes best position is on the bench. Hopefully, we won't need him at all.
Stokesy has been one of our best performers in every match I have seen for weeks now.

LaMotta
06-05-2016, 05:01 PM

Deary me.

:agree: It's bizaare!

Aldo
06-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Logan Gunnarson Fontaine (purely cos he is more of a goal threat than McGregor) Hanlon Stevenson Bartley McGeough Henderson Boyle Keattings Stokes

Your Fontaine 'goal threat' made me laugh btw.

Ten Bob bit heid and following on from his performance on Wed I'd rather he was benched.

The rest looks no bad though!

Aldo
06-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Stokesy has been one of our best performers in every match I have seen for weeks now.

Agree. He does however need to get the ball in final 3rd to do the damage!

Hibeewilly
06-05-2016, 05:14 PM
We've looked most threatening recently when we've played 4-3-3 so I'd opt for that but have Henderson up near the top with the freedom to create.

Logan

Gunnerson
McGregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGeouch
McGinn

Henderson
Cummings
Stokes

That's how I'd line up but not expecting that's what we'd look like tomorrow
That would be my team trooper and I have a feeling Stubbsy might just pick that tomorrow although he will probably put Gray in for Gunnarson

NikGunnarsson
06-05-2016, 05:19 PM
Your Fontaine 'goal threat' made me laugh btw.

Ten Bob bit heid and following on from his performance on Wed I'd rather he was benched.

The rest looks no bad though!

Yeah, Fonts was good last season but has been horrible this season and I dont think I have seen him win many headers in the box? He likes an overhead kick though for some reason

Aldo
06-05-2016, 05:22 PM
Yeah, Fonts was good last season but has been horrible this season and I dont think I have seen him win many headers in the box? He likes an overhead kick though for some reason

Gunnarrson deserved to start IMHO and he should start ahead of Fonts.

Loads of permutations about selections but let's face it it's going to be hard second guessing Stubbs!

Smartie
06-05-2016, 05:27 PM

He wins loads but never gets them on target.

He's so bad from dangerous positions that you're better off not having him in there, better having someone else.

Balls bounce of his heid in all directions, it's developed into a pet hate of mine. He attacks the ball well then does nothing with it.

Decent player, very good last season although poorer this season and was pretty ropey at times on Wednesday. I actually thought at times he was hung out to dry by the midfield - he held onto the ball looking for a pass but when nobody showed he either hoofed it or got caught in possession making him look like he was at fault when in fact he was not.

Smartie
06-05-2016, 05:29 PM

Loads of permutations about selections but let's face it it's going to be hard second guessing Stubbs!

It is, but tbh as soon as we see the team he's picked we'll know which way the game is likely to pan out.

TBF we've not done much wrong at home this season, he's generally got the approach to games at ER spot-on.

It's been away that we've struggled.

SeanWilson
06-05-2016, 05:30 PM

Deary me.

great players are only great players when they're in a position to be great..... Cummings is dubious but McGinn looks like he is running on memory these days.

Aldo
06-05-2016, 05:31 PM
It is, but tbh as soon as we see the team he's picked we'll know which way the game is likely to pan out. TBF we've not done much wrong at home this season, he's generally got the approach to games at ER spot-on. It's been away that we've struggled.

I agree there has to be a balance but a left field selection could maybe work in our favour. Maybe a 0 4 6 selection?? :-)

dmc1875
06-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Logan

gunnarsson
mcgregor
hanlon
stevenson

Fyvie

mcgeouch
henderson
Stokes

keatings
Cummings

Smartie
06-05-2016, 05:48 PM
I agree there has to be a balance but a left field selection could maybe work in our favour. Maybe a 0 4 6 selection?? :-)

I did propose a 4-3-3/ 2-5-3 so hopefully he goes with that. :greengrin

Tyler Durden
06-05-2016, 05:54 PM

I'm not so sure it is hard to predict. He tried to be too clever being a bit more solid away at Raith. But generally in the big games Stubbs will favour a 4-4-2 diamond and Cummings/Stokes up top. Rightly so IMO.

I think we'll see McGinn/Fyvie/Henderson start. Then a question of whether it's Bartley or McGeouch.

Aldo
06-05-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm not so sure it is hard to predict. He tried to be too clever being a bit more solid away at Raith. But generally in the big games Stubbs will favour a 4-4-2 diamond and Cummings/Stokes up top. Rightly so IMO. I think we'll see McGinn/Fyvie/Henderson start. Then a question of whether it's Bartley or McGeouch.

We've missed McGeouch big time!!

Unseen work
06-05-2016, 06:12 PM
Logan

Gunnarson
Mcgregor
hanlon

Boyle
Fyvie
Bartley
Henderson
Stevenson

Stokes
Cummings

Picks itself for me imo

Boyles pace will be crucial
Cummings goal will be crucial
Mcginn hasn't been at it for months
Gunnarson has been solid and is a goal threat

hibby6270
06-05-2016, 06:56 PM
So to sum up. We're all in agreement.

DEFINITELY LOGAN IN GOAL!!:thumbsup::greengrin

Nicho87
06-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Logan
Gunarrson
Mcgregor
Hanlon
Stevenson

Bartley
Mcgeouch
Henderson
Fyvie

Stokes
Cummings

Ronniekirk
06-05-2016, 07:08 PM

Team I think should play

Logan

Stokes Keatings

Its lewis s final delivery that is often not great Aldo He gets into some great positions How many assists does he have Great work ethic and don't see Stubbs dropping him

Ronniekirk
06-05-2016, 07:11 PM
We've missed McGeouch big time!!

This no question but we need him for remainder of play off games and Cup Final so his game time needs managed to give him best opportunity to stay fit

Zazu62
06-05-2016, 07:11 PM
Gunnarson has to start still baffled as to why he wasn't playing the other night. Keatings and stokes up front with Cummings coming on with 30 to go .

Logan

McGregor
Hanlon
Gunnarson

Stevenson
Boyle

Mcgeouch
Fyvie
Henderson

Keatings
Stokes

theonlywayisup
06-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Its lewis s final delivery that is often not great Aldo He gets into some great positions How many assists does he have Great work ethic and don't see Stubbs dropping him

But is that Lewis Stevenson's fault or the lack of Hibs players rushing into the box. Sometimes players have to gamble and anticipate the ball driven across the six-yard box or floated the back post. The problems not Stevenson's crosses its the lack of players we have in the box. Our midfielders rarely enter the box, they are not that type of player. Oh for a Pat McGinlay!

Jonnyboy
06-05-2016, 07:25 PM
But is that Lewis Stevenson's fault or the lack of Hibs players rushing into the box. Sometimes players have to gamble and anticipate the ball driven across the six-yard box or floated the back post. The problems not Stevenson's crosses its the lack of players we have in the box. Our midfielders rarely enter the box, they are not that type of player. Oh for a Pat McGinlay!

Was making the very same point to my brother at the game. Even in mentioning the need for a Pat McGinlay!

theonlywayisup
06-05-2016, 07:28 PM

Deary me.

Let's been honest, McGinn has been poor by his standards since the start of 2016 apart from a few games (eg League Cup Semi, the Hertz games and the The Rangers game). In others, he shows glimpses but is a shadow of his early season form. Maybe he gets more space against the better teams, maybe he would be best coming on when the other team tires and there is more space.

I've been saying for ages that he needs to be dropped, yet it's Henderson that is dropped when he's actually been fairly consistent in playing well.

That said, we desperately need a midfielder that can drive into the box and McGinn appears to be our only one.

Cummings - I can't work him out, but I think he is a better option that Keatings, though Keatings and Stokes played well together in a couple of recent games.

Aldo
06-05-2016, 07:29 PM

Agree regarding his delivery Ronnie in previous games but no complaints in that department on Wednesday. Some superb crosses, especially in 2nd half however we had no takers!

theonlywayisup
06-05-2016, 07:30 PM
Was making the very same point to my brother at the game. Even in mentioning the need for a Pat McGinlay!

Great minds and all that!!

Jonnyboy
06-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Great minds and all that!!

:greengrin

Hamish
06-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Herriot
Brownlie
Black
Blackley
Schaedler