PDA

View Full Version : A blessing

Brightside
05-05-2016, 07:02 AM
I actually think being a goal behind going into Saturdays game may be the best thing for us. Forget the slow possession hold on to a lead rubbish. Straight out the traps an get after them. Drop mcginn for dylan, gunarson in for fonts, Boyle for gray, and finally SHAW for Cummings and we win easy 3-0. PS I know we won't get Shaw. Can't be playing a laddie that scores for fun

3pm
05-05-2016, 07:10 AM
It's not a blessing.

I predict one change. Henderson for Fontaine.

And Shaw should have been given a shot before now. At least been on the bench more than he has.

Scouse Hibee
05-05-2016, 07:12 AM
I actually think being a goal behind going into Saturdays game may be the best thing for us. Forget the slow possession hold on to a lead rubbish. Straight out the traps an get after them. Drop mcginn for dylan, gunarson in for fonts, Boyle for gray, and finally SHAW for Cummings and we win easy 3-0. PS I know we won't get Shaw. Can't be playing a laddie that scores for fun

Heard it all now, unbelievable.

RMQ1967
05-05-2016, 07:16 AM

I said the same to my mate before the game - wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen - get some urgency into the play from the start.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-05-2016, 07:18 AM
A touch of Butcheritis :) ?

The Leith Dutch
05-05-2016, 07:23 AM
While it's good to see some optimism the fact that we might still need a kick up the backside to beat the three teams we need to get promotion says some very worrying things about the club regardless of which league we're playing in next year.

I'd have thought finishing 3rd in a p**s poor league might just have acted as that wake up call.....

Aldo
05-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Agree with you regarding Boyle and Gunnarrson but he won't drop McGinn. Fyvie will be dropped before McGinn.

Keatings for Cummings who for me was a headless chicken and God that miss.

stoneyburn hibs
05-05-2016, 07:31 AM

We have struggled to break down teams all season and Raith will have 11 men behind the ball, using every trick in the book to stop the flow of the game.

Captain Trips
05-05-2016, 07:32 AM
There is no blessing in having to go into a match with conditions. To go through we need to score twice with no mistakes at the back or its 3 goals.

There is no blessing about losing 1-0 last night in any way. We are in a playoff match down to not putting teams away. Starting a match having to score twice worries me adding in we cannot make any mistakes or we need 3 is actually a nightmare.

B.H.F.C
05-05-2016, 07:33 AM
Getting beat is never a blessing. What a load of garbage.

Giro Playboy
05-05-2016, 07:36 AM
I actually think being a goal behind going into Saturdays game may be the best thing for us. Forget the slow possession hold on to a lead rubbish. Straight out the traps an get after them. Drop mcginn for dylan, gunarson in for fonts, Boyle for gray, and finally SHAW for Cummings and we win easy 3-0. PS I know we won't get Shaw. Can't be playing a laddie that scores for fun We have to come out and attack which is a good thing. However that leaves us vulnerable to being hit on the counter and if we concede first we are doomed.
So being a goal down is not really that great.

JK Rolling
05-05-2016, 07:37 AM

Sorry underscore but whatever you're on you need to cut the dose. We could've done with being all square going into the replay as most decent teams are happy to draw us onto them by parking the bus and then sucker punching us. Here's hoping you're right though mate. :aok:

Keith_M
05-05-2016, 07:39 AM
No, a blessing would have been sticking with the same formation and team (perhaps minus McGinn) that has done reasonably well in the last few games and actually winning last night.

As others have said, Raith will now go into Saturday's game with a huge advantage, putting everyone behind the ball and time waste at every opportunity.

I just hope Stubbs hasn't completely blown it and comes up with a winning formation on Saturday.

Jones28
05-05-2016, 07:40 AM
Loosing a game is never a blessing. Unless it's a Derby and Jim Duffy is involved.

Rasta_Hibs
05-05-2016, 07:40 AM

I want whatever yir smoking!

Hope we do it!

ehf
05-05-2016, 07:52 AM
A touch of Butcheritis :) ?

:agree: going into the second leg a goal down removes the fear of going into the second leg a goal down...

Heisenberg
05-05-2016, 07:55 AM
:agree: going into the second leg a goal down removes the fear of going into the second leg a goal down...

Was just about to post similar. Terrible logic. Losing against Raith Rovers will never be a blessing. We now have to win by two goals. When was the last time we beat a team within the top four of this god awful league by that margin? I'm struggling to remember.

SeanWilson
05-05-2016, 07:56 AM

For me, its worst case scenario. We've shown over the course that we are useless when chasing a game and Raith look more than capable of hitting us on counter/at an inevitable pointless set piece. :rolleyes:

SJM
05-05-2016, 07:59 AM
There is no blessing losing any game especially when the manager fails to learn by his mistakes. We lose a goal from some **** decision/defending then it's curtains for our promotion hopes. In fact if we don't score in the first half we are in big trouble because all the players look ****ed every match after 60 mins. Raith got stronger as the match went on and as per usual we change it when it's too late.

Brightside
05-05-2016, 08:04 AM
Good so now we have covered that off... lets make the changes and get stuck right into them. Full house. 3-0 win. 352 no need for LWB and RWB. Left Wing, Right Wing. Shame carmichael isn't ready as i would play him rather than Stevenson.

Ryan69
05-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Bringing in someone like Shaw wouldn't be a bad thing.
When players make debuts...they generally stand out,as opposition can't really do the homework on them.

Everybody knows what Cummings and Stokes are like.

Plus Shaw has been scoring a lot of goals for development.

SlickShoes
05-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Just like relegation was a blessing, and so was not being promoted last season, now losing to Raith Rovers is a blessing as well.

Bless us all the way in to the Lowland League, it will eventually be the making of us and we can come back stronger!

Hilarious.

Look at what we have become, we get told to get behind the team and stop moaning constantly but what do we have to be happy about? We are on the verge of spending a third year in this league, something that has never happened in our entire history. This is the worst time to be hibs fan EVER. Yet some people still think we should just applaud the team for trying a wee bit and showing they care, I'm fed up showing that I care, maybe they should show me something worth getting behind?

Simkin911
05-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Don't think there were that many fans could have been surprised with the outcome last night. Two good cup runs have papered over some really terrible periods of results / play in a fairly rubbish league.

coldingham hibs
05-05-2016, 10:04 AM
Don't think there were that many fans could have been surprised with the outcome last night. Two good cup runs have papered over some really terrible periods of results / play in a fairly rubbish league.

Totally agree. Stubbs had one target only which was promotion. The cup runs whilst good were never on the radar. If as most expect we end up still in the championship then Stubbs has failed, no buttering up cup runs or wins will absolve that. That said it is half-time so things may change. History probably says they won't.

JimBHibees
05-05-2016, 10:08 AM
We have struggled to break down teams all season and Raith will have 11 men behind the ball, using every trick in the book to stop the flow of the game.

They will also be hugely helped by McKendrick being ref as he is quite simply appalling.

chrisski33
05-05-2016, 10:10 AM

What aload of crap

Green-Hibee-7
05-05-2016, 10:50 AM
How is being a goal down going into the game a blessing for us.

We struggle at the best of times to break down teams, never mind the decent drilled ones like Raith. I would have liked at least a one goal lead for the second leg. Can see us scoring, but liable to concede. Do we have it in us to get three against them if they score? I'm not to sure.

Agree we need to change it up. I'd drop fyvie or Bartley for mcgeouch. Bring in Henderson whilst dropping one of the centre backs. There was no need IMO for Bartley and fyvie in the same starting line up last night.

Smartie
05-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Whilst I think looking upon going into a game with a 1-0 deficit as being a blessing is a bit "Butcher" I think I kind of agree with the sentiment and know what the OP is getting at.

Hibs knew that they had no option other than to go out and blast teams away when we played at home to Dumbarton and QoS. Whilst we may not have blasted them away we still managed shutouts and comfortable wins of the margin that would see us through this tie.

We have good players and when we play with a bit more directness and positivity we're capable of beating much better teams than Raith.

We need to pick the right team and go out all guns blazing.

It's the opposite situation of the Hamilton Accies debacle (and we know how that turned out). That was a fragile lead and a game that was tricky to know how to approach.

For this game we have no option other than to go for it.

BoomtownHibees
05-05-2016, 12:12 PM

Aye ok Terry

SJM
05-05-2016, 12:15 PM
Whilst I think looking upon going into a game with a 1-0 deficit as being a blessing is a bit "Butcher" I think I kind of agree with the sentiment and know what the OP is getting at.

Hibs knew that they had no option other than to go out and blast teams away when we played at home to Dumbarton and QoS. Whilst we may not have blasted them away we still managed shutouts and comfortable wins of the margin that would see us through this tie.

We have good players and when we play with a bit more directness and positivity we're capable of beating much better teams than Raith.

We need to pick the right team and go out all guns blazing.

It's the opposite situation of the Hamilton Accies debacle (and we know how that turned out). That was a fragile lead and a game that was tricky to know how to approach.

For this game we have no option other than to go for it.

A bit like Rangers last season then and we know how that turned out.

declan macmanus
05-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Yes. We battered them for 90 minutes and were unfortunate to score as late as we did.

Smartie
05-05-2016, 12:22 PM

2 goals against Rangers was unfortunately always going to be a bit much. We lost that tie in the first leg.

Rovers are no mugs but we can put out a different side with a different approach at Easter Road that will attempt to blow them away.

And we mustn't fear losing goals either.

SJM
05-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Yes. We battered them for 90 minutes and were unfortunate to score as late as we did.

Where have we heard that before?

Hardly a "blessing" to lose the first leg was it? All guns blazing did sod all for us there. We where knackered after 20 mins and hardly looked like scoring until injury time.

SJM
05-05-2016, 12:24 PM
2 goals against Rangers was unfortunately always going to be a bit much. We lost that tie in the first leg.

Rovers are no mugs but we can put out a different side with a different approach at Easter Road that will attempt to blow them away.

And we mustn't fear losing goals either.

We scored 2 or more goals against Rangers about 4 times that season didn't we?

I hope you are right, in fact I pray you are right. :aok:

Smartie
05-05-2016, 12:50 PM
We scored 2 or more goals against Rangers about 4 times that season didn't we?

I hope you are right, in fact I pray you are right. :aok:

They were a shambles for the most part of that season under McCoist but were much better under McCall. They were a much tougher nut to crack at the end of that season.

FWIW I don't think Stubbs handled that second leg at all well either. I thought we lost our discipline a bit, just threw on loads of strikers and went route one. We also missed Boyle badly.

Going at Raith at home with Gunnarson, McGeouch, Boyle and Keatings coming in for some of last night's flops will inject a bit more urgency into our team from the first whistle imo.

This might not have happened had we got a draw.

SJM
05-05-2016, 12:53 PM
They were a shambles for the most part of that season under McCoist but were much better under McCall. They were a much tougher nut to crack at the end of that season.

FWIW I don't think Stubbs handled that second leg at all well either. I thought we lost our discipline a bit, just threw on loads of strikers and went route one. We also missed Boyle badly.

Going at Raith at home with Gunnarson, McGeouch, Boyle and Keatings coming in for some of last night's flops will inject a bit more urgency into our team from the first whistle imo.

Okay, you've won me over :greengrin

JimBHibees
05-05-2016, 12:54 PM

I hope Boyle starts given his energy, the cross he put in on Sunday was exactly what we need. Their left back isnt the quickest either.

HibsNutter
05-05-2016, 12:57 PM
Not at all, they'll just sit in and seek to hit us on the break. If we'd won last night then they'd have to come at us and we'd be able to win comfortably on Saturday. Now it's going to be tricky. Not that we can't do it, of course. Seems that some of our support can't envisage us beating them for some reason.

Super_JMcGinn
05-05-2016, 01:03 PM
I think we should just drop Stubbs and get you in, you seem to have all the answers. :wink:

Edson Arantes
05-05-2016, 01:06 PM

Rubbish!

If losing is a blessing (which it isn't) we've had more fun in 2016 than a visit to St Peters Square.

Personally, I'd feel much more 'blessed' if we'd won 2 or 3 nil.

:flag:

HibbiesandtheBaddies
05-05-2016, 02:08 PM
This thread badly needs some happy clapping to address the balance!

Lang Toun hibby
05-05-2016, 05:56 PM
I think the OP is not far wrong. I think he would have preferred a win for Hibs but what I think he means is if it was 0-0 then Stubbs would have put out a semi defensive formation with instructions to wait for the chances to come and keep the defensive shape. If we don't score then second half the nerves would take over. Winning it by going for it from the off is our best chance. High intensity from ko and we will score 2-3.

My_Wife_Camille
05-05-2016, 06:25 PM
Losing the game being a blessing? Up there with Butchers "sometimes it's good to lose an early goal" quote.

You know what the real blessing would have been? Winning the ****ing game

Enough said
05-05-2016, 06:42 PM
i actually think being a goal behind going into saturdays game may be the best thing for us. Forget the slow possession hold on to a lead rubbish. Straight out the traps an get after them. Drop mcginn for dylan, gunarson in for fonts, boyle for gray, and finally shaw for cummings and we win easy 3-0. Ps i know we won't get shaw. Can't be playing a laddie that scores for fun this

Yorkshire HFC
05-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Getting beaten by Raith Rovers is a good thing? I've heard it all now - thoroughly depressing.

Sammy7nil
05-05-2016, 08:37 PM

If only we could have lost by 3 or 4 then we really would have go at them :rolleyes:

Brightside
05-05-2016, 09:00 PM
im glad a couple of people got my point. No one actually wants to be behind going in to a second leg...but just look at how Liverpool played tonight. Saturday will not be a cagey hold the ball, hold the lead game. We have to go out and out play them and i fully expect us to win 3-0 with Paul Hanlon on the score sheet and dedicating it to his head case biggest fan SUPER GAIL! :wink:

hibs69
05-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Definitely good to read the posts before responding. Was a bit perplexed at the OP but after reading some reason from Smartie, I understand. I don't think its a blessing, but I understand the thinking. Out and at 'em, Hibs.

Big L
05-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Don't worry about Saturday, mark my words, their is no way Raith are going any further! GGTTH

NadeAteMyLunch!
05-05-2016, 10:37 PM
We MUST do what Liverpool done this evening. Absolutely no reason that we can't.

hibs69
05-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Jurgen Klopp might be the first in a small list of reasons?

portyhibernian
05-05-2016, 11:11 PM
Wouldn't say it's a blessing as I would rather not be behind obviously, but I take the point underscore makes in that our only choice has to be attacking play. I believe we CAN do it, the concern is if we WILL do it.

Hermit Crab
06-05-2016, 05:35 AM
I think we should just drop Stubbs and get you in, you seem to have all the answers. :wink:

You would just moan if we did.

Brightside
07-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Told you. 😀😀

Keith_M
07-05-2016, 01:44 PM
Told you. 

Smug Git!

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
07-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Told you. 

Aye but Hanlon was pish and cost us...... eh just cost us today, pish pish i tell you.

Brightside
07-05-2016, 01:46 PM
Aye but Hanlon was pish and cost us...... eh just cost us today, pish pish i tell you.
Poor wee gail