PDA

View Full Version : Stokes/Cummings

SlickShoes
04-05-2016, 08:52 PM
This is not a good partnership, hasn't looked like developing in to one at any point at all and still doesn't. Why does Alan Stubbs persist with this?

Why the changes from a winning team with momentum and at least scoring to this tonight?

Diclonius
04-05-2016, 08:53 PM
This is not a good partnership, hasn't looked like developing in to one at any point at all and still doesn't. Why does Alan Stubbs persist with this?

Why the changes from a winning team with momentum and at least scoring to this tonight?

To be fair, Cummings did score on Sunday.

I'd be tempted to drop him though and put in Keatings. He once again tried a silly wee world cup chip and needs to get a kick before he becomes totally complacent.

murray26
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Cummins has been largely poor since January.. I would drop him for a while.. Offers little when not scoring and no chemistry with stokes..

pedroorange1875
04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
I suspect he cant drop stokes due to contract and he wont drop the 25 goal top striker no matter how much he doesn't have it when it really really matters

Alfred E Newman
04-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Cummins has been largely poor since January.. I would drop him for a while.. Offers little when not scoring and no chemistry with stokes..

Why not dump Stokes? He hasn't exactly set the heather on fire since he came and given the massive wages he is on compared to Cummings it's not good enough.

Scooter
04-05-2016, 08:57 PM
I suspect he cant drop stokes due to contract and he wont drop the 25 goal top striker no matter how much he doesn't have it when it really really matters

Stokes has been good recently.Cummings on the other hand

Onion
04-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Starting to ask if Anthony Stokes career is over ? Was an outstanding talent and player, but has barely kicked a ball in the 2nd division. If he's still the player he was, then Stubbs has failed to get it out of him.

Cummings / Stokes - great on paper, horrible in reality.

murray26
04-05-2016, 09:00 PM
Why not dump Stokes? He hasn't exactly set the heather on fire since he came and given the massive wages he is on compared to Cummings it's not good enough.

I think stokes is a better all round player who seems to have a decent understanding with Keats.. Cummins attitude has been awful lately(IMO).

hibsbollah
04-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Id go Stokes and Keatings. Cummings off the bench on the hour if we have a problem.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2016, 09:03 PM
Cummings needs 5 chances to score a goal, pathetic miss first half.

CapitalGreen
04-05-2016, 09:04 PM

Cummings was our best player first half. Not so much second half as the whole team dropped out of it.

NikGunnarsson
Keatings and Stokes has to be the preferred option, Stokes works unbelievably hard and has much better overall play than Cummings.
Cummings is so arrogant and he thinks he is way better than he actually is

Alfred E Newman
I think stokes is a better all round player who seems to have a decent understanding with Keats.. Cummins attitude has been awful lately(IMO).

That will be the prolific Keats I suppose. His understanding with Stokes hasn't exactly produced a glut of goals for either player.

CapitalGreen
04-05-2016, 09:05 PM

Nonsense

Alfred E Newman
04-05-2016, 09:06 PM
Keatings and Stokes has to be the preferred option, Stokes works unbelievably hard and has much better overall play than Cummings.

Aye right :jamboclow

murray26
04-05-2016, 09:08 PM
That will be the prolific Keats I suppose. His understanding with Stokes hasn't exactly produced a glut of goals for either player.
Tbh I have been getting increasingly annoyed with cummins attitude lately.. His pen against utd was the final straw.. Plus he doesn't want to be here.. He'll be away next season (IMO)..

The Harp Awakes
04-05-2016, 09:08 PM
Has to be Stokes and Keatings for me. Clearly the best pairing based on what we've seen and will get better the more they play together.

Lang Toun hibby
04-05-2016, 09:09 PM

Both Stokes and Cummings were very very poor tonight. Launching high balls to them all game and both are poor headers of a ball and both cannot hold play up. Wrong formation, tactics, non timely substitutions and no urgency coupled with skill shortages. Hanlon and keeper and Bartley only pass marks.

TRC
04-05-2016, 09:10 PM
I reackon Cummings is away in the summer. Doesn't seem bothered by anything heard the Raith commentators say the last time he was sub'd he was going radge ,tonight he seemed fine with it.

Thecat23

He's got a point no? Keatings and Stokes seems to work better.

pedroorange1875
Nonsense

:rolleyes::yawn:

NikGunnarsson
04-05-2016, 09:11 PM

What do you not agree with then ? Who would you play on Saturday :confused:

Big L
04-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Cummins stats last year was around 1 goal in 6 chances, this year is similar. That is not the stats of a prolific striker! As for trying to chip the keeper 2nite, somebody in that dressing room should gie him a couple of sore ones, he's an arse!!

J-C
04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Was Stokes not the guy who'd score for fun in this league, well it ain't ****ing fun watching him not scoring and JC needs a good kick up the arsenal, looks like he's decided he wants away, let him.

h1bs4life
04-05-2016, 09:22 PM
Stokes / Cummings / Keatings all similar type of players. Criminal we don't have a big 6 feet plus striker to bring on to change things / something different. Teams have Stubbs sussed and he doesn't have a clue how to change things.

Musselbound
04-05-2016, 09:31 PM
About the only guy who seems to be able to time a run into the box to score at the moment is Gunnarsson.

jnr_hibee
04-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Couldn't agree more, not sure we have an out an out striker / number 9 at all. Stokes an JC drop so deep that by the time the ball gets crossed in they are nowhere. Questions got to be asked of the midfields 'desire' also. Watch any top half prem team / even celtic to a degree their midfielders are bursting their ***** to get in the box - we seem to lack the desire.

Trainor
04-05-2016, 10:10 PM
Stokes / Cummings / Keatings all similar type of players. Criminal we don't have a big 6 feet plus striker to bring on to change things / something different. Teams have Stubbs sussed and he doesn't have a clue how to change things.

Letting Malomga go was a big mistake!

zlatan
04-05-2016, 10:13 PM
Stokes and Keatings had assisted each other within maybe an hour or so of playing time, have Stokes or Cummings set each other up for a goal yet?

Giro Playboy
04-05-2016, 10:23 PM
For every chance Cummings takes he must miss another 5. If he was playing in a decent standard league where his chances at goal were limited i reckon he would be lucky to get 10 goals a season.
Stokes and Keatings seem to compliment each other a lot better

Nicho87
04-05-2016, 10:27 PM
The amount of times we had the ball in the last third out wide and there was not one hibs players in the box was unreal. We dont look scoring goal imo.

dmc1875
04-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Stokes and Keatings every day of the week with Cummings off the bench at the moment. He offers little and does not take his guilt edge chances at the moment such as tonight

Smartie
04-05-2016, 10:56 PM
About the only guy who seems to be able to time a run into the box to score at the moment is Gunnarsson.

Good shout.

Stevenson gets grief at times for the quality of his deliveries but tonight I reckon he put about half a dozen deliveries that were somewhere from decent to superb across the box and nobody looked like scoring from them. I don't know how many games in a row this has been the case as well, the guy should have umpteen more assists just through other players showing a bit of anticipation.

Gunnarson had developed a knack at getting into the box at the right time.

There's about 25 goals a season there for a Pat McGinlay timing a late run into the box.

gegs70
05-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Got to agree Cummings and stokes has not been the partnership I expected, for me it's stokes and Keatings..... its odd we create so many chances but score very little we really should be hammering teams. Sometimes we are guilty of slow build up rather than hitting teams quickly....

Aldo
05-05-2016, 07:17 AM
Good shout. Stevenson gets grief at times for the quality of his deliveries but tonight I reckon he put about half a dozen deliveries that were somewhere from decent to superb across the box and nobody looked like scoring from them. I don't know how many games in a row this has been the case as well, the guy should have umpteen more assists just through other players showing a bit of anticipation. Gunnarson had developed a knack at getting into the box at the right time. There's about 25 goals a season there for a Pat McGinlay timing a late run into the box.

Lewis was easily our best player. His runs in the 2nd half were superb as were a number of his crosses.

His head was up and he actually looked before he crossed. He mixed it up as well with a number of excellent cut backs into the box.

Aldo
05-05-2016, 07:20 AM
Folk mention Cummings and Stokes not working, I have to agree and Keatings for his short spell on the pitch made some very telling runs and played in and around Stokes and looked for a lay off, putting Rovers players on the back foot.

If we are going to play balls into the channels we are as well playing Boyle for his pace.

3pm
05-05-2016, 07:21 AM
Stokes and Keatings every day of the week with Cummings off the bench at the moment. He offers little and does not take his guilt edge chances at the moment such as tonight

Yes, Cummings missed a bad one but he took his chances against Falkirk, Rangers and QOTS.

Stokes is the problem for me. Not that my opinion will be well received.

Libby Hibby
05-05-2016, 07:25 AM
Yes, Cummings missed a bad one but he took his chances against Falkirk, Rangers and QOTS.

Pick Cumming or Stokes and who would you pair them with? Dagnall or Keatings?

Dagnall and Cummings partnered in one of our best performance of the season v St Johnstone.

I don't think Cummings and Keatings are particularly effective either.

You know my thoughts on it, the two of them simply can't play together, so why does he persist?

3pm
05-05-2016, 07:31 AM
Pick Cumming or Stokes and who would you pair them with? Dagnall or Keatings?

Dagnall and Cummings partnered in one of our best performance of the season v St Johnstone.

I don't think Cummings and Keatings are particularly effective either.

You know my thoughts on it, the two of them simply can't play together, so why does he persist?

I think he's stuck with them now mate.

I liked the look of Dagnall after the semi final at the PBS but he's not fit or in favour now.

Keatings blows hot and cold.

Libby Hibby
05-05-2016, 07:37 AM
I think he's stuck with them now mate.

I liked the look of Dagnall after the semi final at the PBS but he's not fit or in favour now.

Keatings blows hot and cold.

But persisting with Stokes and Cummings is almost like playing with 2 players short such that their link up is virtually non existent and that, in my opinion, is one of the main attributes a strike partnership should have, the main reason to create and score chances and secondly relieve a bit of pressure off our defence and midfielders.

Unfortunately, Stokes and Cummings are a failure as partnership and I just wished Stubbs had seen it when the rest of us did.

Last Minute
05-05-2016, 07:44 AM
what is it with stubbs with putting on a sub? always wait's until we are behind and up against it. no plan B and can't change a game. disgraceful putting on a player with about 5 or 10 minutes to go. Dylan should have been on at half time and Hendo.

3pm
05-05-2016, 07:45 AM
But persisting with Stokes and Cummings is almost like playing with 2 players short such that their link up is virtually non existent and that, in my opinion, is one of the main attributes a strike partnership should have, the main reason to create and score chances and secondly relieve a bit of pressure off our defence and midfielders.

Unfortunately, Stokes and Cummings are a failure as partnership and I just wished Stubbs had seen it when the rest of us did.

I do think he'll stick with them.

Keatings might play instead of Jason but I'd be dropping Stokes.

allezsauzee
05-05-2016, 07:50 AM

You are obviously as entitled to your opinion as anyone else but I do struggle to see why Stokes is the problem. No doubt Cummings has talent but he has so much to learn about team play and the world cup chip when straight through on goal is just one piece of evidence that he think's it's the Jason Cummings show . Stokes links well with other players. Not just Keatings, i think he links well with others and in particular Henderson.

ballengeich
05-05-2016, 08:00 AM
The amount of times we had the ball in the last third out wide and there was not one hibs players in the box was unreal. We dont look scoring goal imo.

I think you've identified a problem that's more important than Cummings missing chances. At least he continues to get into scoring positions. None of our midfield has made a significant contribution to the goals total because none of them move forward often enough to be in position to score. In addition, Stokes drops back so far and so often that whoever he partners will be isolated and outnumbered. Until these things change it won't matter which front pair you choose.

Hi Heid Yin
05-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Id go Stokes and Keatings. Cummings off the bench on the hour if we have a problem.

I agree.:agree::agree::agree::agree:
Stokes partnering Keatings for me.

Alfred E Newman
05-05-2016, 11:39 AM
What do you not agree with then ? Who would you play on Saturday :confused:

Cummings .

1987kev
05-05-2016, 11:41 AM
I'll go for our top goal scorer and who loves a goal in a big game

SteveHFC
05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
what is it with stubbs with putting on a sub? always wait's until we are behind and up against it. no plan B and can't change a game. disgraceful putting on a player with about 5 or 10 minutes to go. Dylan should have been on at half time and Hendo.
:agree:

He doesn't have a clue when to make subs. We can't afford to do this on saturday again.

Smartie
05-05-2016, 01:28 PM
:agree:

He doesn't have a clue when to make subs. We can't afford to do this on saturday again.

We need to be blowing teams out the water early in games so the subs are more about protecting leads and resting tired legs than chasing results in games we should be winning.

easty
05-05-2016, 02:00 PM
I'd stick with Cummings and Stokes. They're our best 2 forwards.

Libby Hibby
05-05-2016, 04:36 PM
I'd stick with Cummings and Stokes. They're our best 2 forwards.

They certainly are but not as a partnership