PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs' poor poor lineup choice

madhatter
04-05-2016, 08:38 PM
We played into Raiths hands and if he doesn't select a better lineup on Saturday we will be staying down.

All season Stubbs' has struggled to make subs as well, either too late or completely the wrong sub(s).

If we stay down and don't win the cup, Stubbs must go. With the money he has had invested in the squad during a relegation year, he is doing a spectacular job at failing.

Stubbs, and Hibs, sort it out for once.

Edit - Cummings can leave in the summer for me. Been very poor the last few games and whilst is a proven goalscorer, he wastes far too many good chances and sometimes I think he lets his ego get the better of him - cup penalty and the very very poor dink when through.

As has been a problem at Hibs for many years - we have good individuals but have never really had a solid team. Even this team which is the best we've had in years...one word destroys the thoughts of it being a solid well-rounded team, "pace". Upfront we have no physical presence whatsoever and midfield has little to no balance. A midfield that has a flexible structure (diamond with interchanges) works well when you are attacking and dominating but is very poor for defence.

jgl07
04-05-2016, 08:42 PM
Ltyf

keep the faith
04-05-2016, 08:42 PM
And we're off......

Steve20
04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
He's a poor manager. He can't be here next season if we stay down. Not got it.

R'Albin
04-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Choosing not to sack Stubbs a few weeks ago appears to have been a very costly decision.

derek1875hfc
04-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Ever since stokes came back we have never been the same. Didn't want him back in the first place our own strikers were doing really well. IMO obviously but nowt will change my mind

Albanian Hibs
04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
McGinn has to be dropped

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 08:49 PM
Ever since stokes came back we have never been the same. Didn't want him back in the first place our own strikers were doing really well. IMO obviously but nowt will change my mind

I think this is a daft post and nothing will change my mind about it either.

madhatter
04-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Stubbs job is on the line. Failing to get promoted 2 seasons in a row is an abject failure. Look at the squad he has managed to assemble.Nothing to do with disliking Stubbs but he and Hibs are still failing their fans and I've been at every match this season trying to maintain the support but I fully understand why people are still leaving. Plaster over the cracks and all that - Leeann and Alan have spoken a good game but have delivered nothing. Being close to success isn't success.

Reaching a final and losing is not success. Reaching playoffs and losing isn't success.

Saturday better be the complete opposite to that performance and Stubbs better chose a lineup to win a match not a 352/532 variant.

California-Hibs
04-05-2016, 08:51 PM

Stupid, stupid post.

jodjam
04-05-2016, 08:52 PM
The midfield rarely make runs beyond our forwards. We are easy to defend against and predictable. Stubbs making too many mistakes

Alfred E Newman
04-05-2016, 08:53 PM
McGinn has to be dropped

Rested not dropped. Surprised he didn't leave him out tonight but now he will have to play him on Saturday.

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 08:54 PM
Stupid, stupid post.

The fact he doesn't like him or want him here kind of takes away a fair opinion on him. Stokes has played very well for us recently.

NikGunnarsson
04-05-2016, 08:55 PM
Dropping Gunnarsson is an absolute joke, his team selections leave a lot to be desired :confused:

derek1875hfc

Yep your opinion . if you've got a problem with it say why. Daft post duh!!!

Right back at you

Stokesy's on fire

Wrong ever since Malonga left we have been pants. Wish he was still here

Andy74
04-05-2016, 08:57 PM

Hibs after Malonga are pretty much the same as Hibs before Malonga.

Still, most disagree.

Libby Hibby
04-05-2016, 08:57 PM
We played into Raiths hands and if he doesn't select a better lineup on Saturday we will be staying down.

All season Stubbs' has struggled to make subs as well, either too late or completely the wrong sub(s).

If we stay down and don't win the cup, Stubbs must go. With the money he has had invested in the squad during a relegation year, he is doing a spectacular job at failing.

Stubbs, and Hibs, sort it out for once.

Edit - Cummings can leave in the summer for me. Been very poor the last few games and whilst is a proven goalscorer, he wastes far too many good chances and sometimes I think he lets his ego get the better of him - cup penalty and the very very poor dink when through.

As has been a problem at Hibs for many years - we have good individuals but have never really had a solid team. Even this team which is the best we've had in years...one word destroys the thoughts of it being a solid well-rounded team, "pace". Upfront we have no physical presence whatsoever and midfield has little to no balance. A midfield that has a flexible structure (diamond with interchanges) works well when you are attacking and dominating but is very poor for defence.

I tend to agree

derek1875hfc
04-05-2016, 08:58 PM

That's a fair post

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 08:59 PM

Right back at you

Say why? I just did, it's ridiculous and you sound about 12. You didn't want him here you don't rate him (even though he's done well) yet NOTHING will change your mind.

So if he scores a hat-trick in the cup final you going to sit howling in protest aye?

mmmmhibby
04-05-2016, 09:00 PM
The midfield rarely make runs beyond our forwards. We are easy to defend against and predictable. Stubbs making too many mistakes

This 100%.

madhatter
04-05-2016, 09:01 PM

Right back at you

Both stop it and remember what team you support. I'm somewhere in between both of you and see where you both are coming from - impressions of Stokes, this is my take:

- Stokes is a good player
- Stubbs struggles to assemble a good team but can, with the recruitment personnel at Hibs, select good individual players
- Stokes has not helped the balance of the squad which was already pretty poor
- Stubbs has a handful of good players but is unsure how to put a team out to get a result and to change things up
- Stokes and Keatings probably should have started up-top as they seem to interchange better but Stubbs tinkers wrongly
- Stokes would do better in a team that utilises width which we don't (space for strikers is important and our build-up play ensures they have no space whatsoever)
- Stokes is still talented player but with poor temperament and the above doesn't help that

Scooter
04-05-2016, 09:02 PM
I don't understand the team selection. Gunnarson has been good. We have scored 6 goals in2 games and changes it.

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 09:02 PM

Still, most disagree.

Really wish he'd stayed and not wanted to leave. Missed him since he left!

JimBHibees
04-05-2016, 09:04 PM
Not sure there was much wrong with the team. Bottom line is we missed chances and they scored with their only one. So predictable.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2016, 09:05 PM
I thought the team looked ok but it was obvious very early it wasn't working. I'm not getting the decent 1st half argument, we were marginally less crap maybe. How Stubbs could stand and watch that until we lost a goal is beyond me.

We looked more lively in 6 or 7 minutes with Henderson on and playing 442 than we looked in the preceding 80+. 352 works in certain games and situations, tonight wasn't one of them but it took Stubbs **** knows how long to work it out.

Bad Martini
04-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Sorry. Some pish here. 15 shots. Nae goals. Plenty scorers on the pitch. The problem is not the team selection. Especially against the mighty and all conquering raith Rovers. The problem is our forwards not scoring. With PLENTY chances. Simples.

High-On-Hibs
04-05-2016, 09:06 PM
So if he scores a hat-trick in the cup final you going to sit howling in protest aye?

Stokes and Cummings could both score a hat-trick in the final and we'd still figure out a way to throw it all away.

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 09:07 PM
Sorry. Some pish here. 15 shots. Nae goals. Plenty scorers on the pitch. The problem is not the team selection. Especially against the mighty and all conquering raith Rovers. The problem is our forwards not scoring. With PLENTY chances. Simples.

Exactly, the amount of chances Jason has had this season and missed he'd be on about 40 goals! It's getting embarrassing now. How can a set of footballers pro ones at that miss so many easy chances?

blackpoolhibs
Really wish he'd stayed and not wanted to leave. Missed him since he left!

Would have preferred Malonga to stay and Stubbs to go in January.

Pretty Boy

We didn't have many clear cut chances really.

I struggle to think of their keeper making a save in the 2nd half and the 2 or 3 he made in the 1st were as routine as they come. It was grim stuff.

Thecat23
Stokes and Cummings could both score a hat-trick in the final and we'd still figure out a way to throw it all away.

That I'm not arguing, we prob would! But the posters thoughts on Stokes is laughable.

bookert
04-05-2016, 09:08 PM

I agree, how many goals do the midfield chip in with?

Libby Hibby
04-05-2016, 09:08 PM

The problem is the team selection, chances created but wrong personnel to finish them...we have looked pretty good when Cummings on the bench and Boyle starting recently, why change it? Why?

Ronniekirk
04-05-2016, 09:10 PM

Agree but the serious point is Stubbs expected Stokes to be scoring week in week out at this level but hasn't found a way to get the best out him on the scoring front
We need goals in the second leg so will be interested in his selection
Dylan wont last 90 minutes but we need his drive thats for sure

gaz1875
04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
I thought the team looked ok but it was obvious very early it wasn't working. I'm not getting the decent 1st half argument, we were marginally less crap maybe. How Stubbs could stand and watch that until we lost a goal is beyond me.

We looked more lively in 6 or 7 minutes with Henderson on and playing 442 than we looked in the preceding 80+. 352 works in certain games and situations, tonight wasn't one of them but it took Stubbs **** knows how long to work it out.

We played a team to suit the pitch conditions. Our big problem is Stevenson and Gray are not good enough to play in a 352 they are both too slow and struggle to get decent crosses into the box.

derek1875hfc
04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Both stop it and remember what team you support. I'm somewhere in between both of you and see where you both are coming from - impressions of Stokes, this is my take:

- Stokes is a good player
- Stubbs struggles to assemble a good team but can, with the recruitment personnel at Hibs, select good individual players
- Stokes has not helped the balance of the squad which was already pretty poor
- Stubbs has a handful of good players but is unsure how to put a team out to get a result and to change things up
- Stokes and Keatings probably should have started up-top as they seem to interchange better but Stubbs tinkers wrongly
- Stokes would do better in a team that utilises width which we don't (space for strikers is important and our build-up play ensures they have no space whatsoever)
- Stokes is still talented player but with poor temperament and the above doesn't help that

Cheers agree with your assessment very well put. Reason I don't post normally is your can't say what you feel without some divvy slagging you for the sake of it, cheers again good post

madhatter
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM

Our chances didn't really come from good play. One ball over the top led to Cummings' chance but apart from that it was scrappy play that got us there. 3 at the back which became 5 at the back when defending was wrong for me. The midfield trio struggled hence we went back to front constantly and fed off scraps - playing into Raith's hands as we have 0 presence upfront.

A team with no pace or players that seem willing to take the ball past the opposition should not play 352 unless they have physical presence upfront. How are we expected to play our game when we could barely string 3 passes together? Selection at fault. If we stay down the first thing we need to ensure we have is width and pace! If we go up we will need the exact same thing.

Hi Heid Yin
04-05-2016, 09:12 PM
Momentum is crucial at this time, and just as we were picking up nicely by scoring and not conceding, Alan Stubbs decides to change the line up and bang, momentum is lost, players change habits, the intuitive element generated by familiarity disappears, players have to adjust to the new line up, runs are not made, doubt creeps in, chances are squandered, heads drop, a goal is conceded, heads drop even more whilst inspiration evaporates, resignation to defeat creeps in and players trundle off disilusioned and frustrated.
It really is hard to fathom what Alan Stubbs was thinking before deciding to change things. Whatever he was thinking, it has back fired......and not for the first time.
I have to keep reminding myself that it's still only half time in this tie, but the aforementioned points I simply had to make as I do feel they are valid.

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Would have preferred Malonga to stay and Stubbs to go in January.

Why?

We still have a chance of going up and still a chance of the Scottish cup. I take it you just don't like him and doing both these things will still have you shouting for him to go.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
04-05-2016, 09:13 PM
I agree, how many goals do the midfield chip in with?

Its a fair point. How many teams are SO reliant on just two players to score virtually every goal?

gaz1875
04-05-2016, 09:15 PM
Momentum is crucial at this time, and just as we were picking up nicely by scoring and not conceding, Alan Stubbs decides to change the line up and bang, momentum is lost, players change habits, the intuitive element generated by familiarity disappears, players have to adjust to the new line up, runs are not made, doubt creeps in, chances are squandered, heads drop, a goal is conceded, heads drop even more whilst inspiration evaporates, resignation to defeat creeps in and players trundle off disilusioned and frustrated.
It really is hard to fathom what Alan Stubbs was thinking before deciding to change things. Whatever he was thinking, it has back fired......and not for the first time.
I have to keep reminding myself that it's still only half time in this tie, but the aforementioned points I simply had to make as I do feel they are valid.

Eloquently put and not for the first time Stubbs has altered a winning team.

Mango Man
04-05-2016, 09:18 PM
I don't understand the team selection. Gunnarson has been good. We have scored 6 goals in2 games and changes it.

Spot on, we have actually looked decent the last couple of games, playing with a bit of purpose, tonight was the Hibs we know all to well, really insipid, uninspiring football.

Been saying for ages we will end up with nothing this season, we are just that kind of team, we don't do success.

Shrekko
04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Fontaine in for Gunnarson must be one of the worst choices ever. Fontaine looked miles off the pace against a pedestrian QOTS.

Albanian Hibs
04-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Rested not dropped. Surprised he didn't leave him out tonight but now he will have to play him on Saturday.

I wouldnt start him on sat. Has to be Henderson and McGeoch

blackpoolhibs
04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Why?

We still have a chance of going up and still a chance of the Scottish cup. I take it you just don't like him and doing both these things will still have you shouting for him to go.

If he does that i will lick his knackers clean for a year, i dont like his results i dont even know the man?

pennyhibee
04-05-2016, 09:21 PM
Agree with this A Manager must know his best team ate right time and know how and when to implement his tactical knowledge

inglisavhibs
04-05-2016, 09:22 PM

That's the biggest problem we have had all season. If you look at our 5 man midfield only McGinn (who is running on empty) can do it. Gray, Bartley, Stevenson and Fyvie are hardly going to put fear in to the opposition so we become slow moving and lack the cutting edge required. Saturday is huge for the club and he will need fresh legs to give us a chance.

Tonight everyone is saying we missed loads of chances but the only one i keep hearing about is Cummings missed chip. Did we really miss a lot of goal scoring chances?

inglisavhibs
04-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Don't think he can Malcolm, he looks out on his feet. He will probably bring in Boyle and Henderson for McGinn and either Bartley or Fyvie. Gunnarson has to play as he actually seems to love getting in to the box. Stevenson is another who looks shattered but we have nobody else to play there. McGeogh could also feature but that's a big risk with his recent injury record.

ehf
04-05-2016, 09:29 PM
I like Stubbs and he sounded like a broken man on his interview on Radio Scotland a few minutes ago but it is heartbreaking to think what a decent, experienced manager could do with this squad.

Sammy7nil
04-05-2016, 09:32 PM
If he does that i will lick his knackers clean for a year, i dont like his results i dont even know the man?

I am not sure he would let you but no doubt some on here would pay to see that :wink:

Hi Heid Yin
04-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Agree with this A Manager must know his best team ate right time and know how and when to implement his tactical knowledge

I agree.

Nicho87
04-05-2016, 09:41 PM
Gunarsson
Boyle
Henderson

All should have started.

Coco Bryce
04-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Gunarsson
Boyle
Henderson

All should have started.

This.

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 09:50 PM

Right I've screenshot this!

Really, really hope we do it now. Do we have to know Hibs managers??

Giro Playboy
04-05-2016, 10:02 PM
We were playing against bog standard players yet they looked better organised than us. We were huffing and puffing in front of goal and the team was crying out for an injection of pace but he left our fastest player Boyle on the bench. We needed some creativity in the middle of the park yet Henderson and McGeouch spent nearly the whole game warming up and were then thrown on near the end when we were a goal down. Gunnerson is better than Gray in every department but he was left on the bench and McGinn is a shadow of the player he was a few months ago yet he gets the full 90 minutes.

tmb1875
04-05-2016, 10:03 PM

Absolutely bang on.

hhibs
04-05-2016, 10:04 PM
This.

Yep,but what is it that Stubbs sees so differently?

Unfortunately with Stubbs if he ever had it ,he has lost it.

Season heartbreak I am afraid.................................again.....f f s !

pacoluna
04-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Stubbs-"i will pick players that are on form"

Gunnarsson - most consistent/impressive player last couple matches.

Raith rovers game comes around..

Gunnarsson- Dropped

Baffled

Hi Heid Yin
04-05-2016, 11:11 PM

Gunnarsson- Dropped

Baffled

:agree::agree::agree::agree:

Thecat23
04-05-2016, 11:27 PM

Gunnarsson- Dropped

Baffled

I've honestly no idea how he can drop Gunnerson. One of our best players and on form. Ridiculous to even consider dropping him tonight.

Greencore
04-05-2016, 11:32 PM
I'd put oil Shaw on the bench for Saturday over dagnall

trev the hat
04-05-2016, 11:42 PM
I've honestly no idea how he can drop Gunnerson. One of our best players and on form. Ridiculous to even consider dropping him tonight.

Yip, baffling a fit Gunnarson & Boyle on the bench in a game which needs pace & an ariel threat up front.
These are the kind of decisions that aren't forgotten. He's had far too many of them !!

Super_JMcGinn
04-05-2016, 11:56 PM
As soon as I saw the team I thought the same, I knew we would concede but hoped we would score more, that game was like groundhog day for a good part of this season.

dmc1875
05-05-2016, 12:07 AM

Gunnarsson- Dropped

Baffled

This. Yet McGinn has been poor for a few games as he needs a rest and starts instead of Henderson? We don't start Boyle?

We go back to the plan A that hasn't worked for months

majorhibs
05-05-2016, 01:10 AM

Still, most disagree.

Oh come on. You are back wi yer dose of anti-reality again, eh?

number9dream
05-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Stubbs set up for a 0-0 with 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders, leaving a knackered McGinn to support two strikers who don't seem to click.
The plan backfires because we cannot defend a simple corner...
Only once we go behind does Stubbs react but there is no coherent strategy, with balls just lumped up the park.
Delivery from Gray & Stevenson is a major weakness as is the link between midfield & attack. It's so one-paced that we can't even break down a team with Lewis Toshney playing as a makeshift midfielder!

Ronniekirk
05-05-2016, 08:01 AM
Stubbs set up for a 0-0 with 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders, leaving a knackered McGinn to support two strikers who don't seem to click.
The plan backfires because we cannot defend a simple corner...
Only once we go behind does Stubbs react but there is no coherent strategy, with balls just lumped up the park.
Delivery from Gray & Stevenson is a major weakness as is the link between midfield & attack. It's so one-paced that we can't even break down a team with Lewis Toshney playing as a makeshift midfielder!

Wasn't at game but everything apart from playing for a 0 0 rings true
I was at the Morton game away a few weeks back and we never really looked like scoring due to issues you have highlighted
But hope Stubbs can come up with something different on Saturday
The game is still there to be won

Aldo
05-05-2016, 08:10 AM
Wasn't at game but everything apart from playing for a 0 0 rings true I was at the Morton game away a few weeks back and we never really looked like scoring due to issues you have highlighted But hope Stubbs can come up with something different on Saturday The game is still there to be won

HT it is Ronnie but Rovers came out and sat and took their chance.

Stubbs won't pull any surprises and he will stick with those he is very loyal to.

Fontaine had a shocker and to drop Gunnarrson for he was a terrible decision.

Dylan, Henderson, Boyle (RWB), Gunnarrson and Keatings to start on Saturday for me in place of Fyvie, McGinn, Gray, Fontaine and Cummings.

matty_f
05-05-2016, 08:13 AM
Oh come on. You are back wi yer dose of anti-reality again, eh?

To be fair he just missed out that Hibs were the same with Malonga.

We had plenty games like last night with Malonga in the side.

Aldo
05-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Stubbs set up for a 0-0 with 5 defenders and 2 holding midfielders, leaving a knackered McGinn to support two strikers who don't seem to click. The plan backfires because we cannot defend a simple corner... Only once we go behind does Stubbs react but there is no coherent strategy, with balls just lumped up the park. Delivery from Gray & Stevenson is a major weakness as is the link between midfield & attack. It's so one-paced that we can't even break down a team with Lewis Toshney playing as a makeshift midfielder!

Lewis was our best player last night and some of his deliveries, especially in the 2nd half were superb. He mixed it up well IMHO.

I would agree that for most of the season his deliveries have been poor but to point blame of those 2 is baffling.

We don't have many options other than Lewis but I would defo drop Gray. He looked lost last night.

Zero creativity from the middle of the park either with Stokes having to drop deep to get the ball to try and create.

Stubbs appears clueless and his stubbornness to change formations or tactics during games makes it easier for the opposition.