PDA

View Full Version : Celtic to introduced safe standing

Monts
04-05-2016, 05:29 PM
According to Twitter.

Is this allowed?

Monts
04-05-2016, 05:32 PM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/celtic-confirm-safe-standing-area-for-2016-17-season-1-4118844

Onceinawhile
04-05-2016, 05:43 PM
According to Twitter.

Is this allowed?

Well according to the article, they were granted permission, so emm... Yes?

Waxy
04-05-2016, 05:46 PM
We should do it.

Monts
04-05-2016, 05:48 PM
Well according to the article, they were granted permission, so emm... Yes?

I found the article after I posted the thread :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
04-05-2016, 05:52 PM
Innovative German design that can alter the pitch of the stadium slope.
With the flip of a switch they can open a gate and tip the green brigade into a massive custom build Bridewell taxi.

Beefster
04-05-2016, 06:00 PM
We should do it.

If Hibs did it, it would probably affect the playing budget and have hee-haw affect on attendances. If we have to do it, I'd rather we waited until we're back and secure in the Premiership.

Waxy
04-05-2016, 06:04 PM
A wee safe standing paddock would be the focus of the atmosphere at ER. Reckon we could use half the bottom of the FF for this without much problem.Everyones a winner.

LustForLeith
04-05-2016, 06:19 PM
I miss the terracing

Keith_M
04-05-2016, 06:32 PM
I miss the terracing

Me anaw.

Hibs should knock down the East Stand and rebuild the terracing.

Onceinawhile
04-05-2016, 06:32 PM
A wee safe standing paddock would be the focus of the atmosphere at ER. Reckon we could use half the bottom of the FF for this without much problem.Everyones a winner.

Apart from those with family season tickets in the lower, which is where about 20-25% of the season tickets are!

Yorkshire HFC
04-05-2016, 07:06 PM
Me anaw.

Hibs should knock down the East Stand and rebuild the terracing.

Can't agree - terracing should belong to history in my opinion. Uncomfortable, hard to get a decent view etc. - seated stadiums are 100% better - there'sreasons why we have them. I stood at Alloa this year - it was horrendous - just like Easter Road used to be.

hibsbollah
04-05-2016, 07:08 PM
Delighted. Hopefully we'll be following suit soon.

Jamesie
04-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Most obvious place at ER for this would be the first few rows of the East - the bit that is cut off from the rest of the stand. I say this assuming the incline is steep enough to avoid the view of those behind being blocked.

Alfred E Newman
04-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Can't agree - terracing should belong to history in my opinion. Uncomfortable, hard to get a decent view etc. - seated stadiums are 100% better - there'sreasons why we have them. I stood at Alloa this year - it was horrendous - just like Easter Road used to be.

Can't think that I ever struggled to get a decent view from the old terracing , even in crowds of over 40000,

Frazerbob
04-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Most obvious place at ER for this would be the first few rows of the East - the bit that is cut off from the rest of the stand. I say this assuming the incline is steep enough to avoid the view of those behind being blocked.

Agreed. Rows 1 to 4 could be removed. It would be like the old enclosure in the main stand.

hibsbollah
04-05-2016, 07:23 PM

FF lower.

hibee
04-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Totally agree, hated standing and much prefer sitting at games. I think I'd have given up going by now if I was still standing.

If it increases crowds and doesn't cost much it can only be a good thing for those that want it though.

hibsdaft
04-05-2016, 07:39 PM
According to Twitter.

Is this allowed?

my understanding is that terracing was never banned in law up here. it was the league that required all seater stadia, rather than law. local authorities are also able to refuse safety certificates in individual cases too.

if the SPFL now allow safe standing, and Celtc have been able to get a safety certificate, then I think there's nothing stopping them.

Kaff
04-05-2016, 10:50 PM
my understanding is that terracing was never banned in law up here. it was the league that required all seater stadia, rather than law. local authorities are also able to refuse safety certificates in individual cases too.

if the SPFL now allow safe standing, and Celtc have been able to get a safety certificate, then I think there's nothing stopping them.

That's right, the Act which came about from the Taylor Report was only relevant to England and Wales we only followed with the public opinion of that time, Celtic basically have got an amendment of their safety certificate approved.
Hopefully we'll see changes to a few stadium due to this, including ER, and to the comment on the FF stand about the family stand and season ticket numbers then i'm sure with the prices moving with them to the North side of the East stand we wouldn't see a change in numbers there.

jgl07
05-05-2016, 01:42 AM
It would be very expensive. The seats would have to be removed and the replacement barrier/retractable seats would have to be installed. This would involve breaking up the concrete steps to fit in the barriers. It is not a trivial issue.

There would be no revenue implications. Those standing would want cheaper ticket prices. The extra capacity generated would have no impact as the stadium has rarely if even been totally sold out.

If this is installed in the FF Lower it will be necessary to relocate the family stand, presumably to the East Stand. That will annoy two different sets of supporters; those in the FF Lower being moved out to make way for standing and also those in the East Stand being moved to accommodate the relocated Family Stand.

It would require permission from the SFA/SPFL and a Safety Certificate from the City Council. Celtic are using this in a very small area as a trial. Maybe other clubs will be told to wait until this can be assessed. I can't imagine the police being too impressed as it will make problems in identifying those throwing missiles or flares.

Where will the money for this come from? The only place I can see is from the playing budget.

Has anyone advocating this bothered to find out what the cost will be? Didn't think so!

All to satisfy a few moaners?

Hermit Crab
05-05-2016, 01:58 AM
We should do it.

As much as I'd like to see it at Easter rd we'd be as well closing a stand next season if we are in this division. The famous five would be a candidate for closure. The famous five lower would also be a candidate for safe standing in the future.

Ringothedog
05-05-2016, 06:04 AM
Agreed. Rows 1 to 4 could be removed. It would be like the old enclosure in the main stand.

I am in row c with a disabled section behind me, I never have to sit unless I want to, this was the reason we chose this seats.

hibee
05-05-2016, 06:10 AM
As much as I'd like to see it at Easter rd we'd be as well closing a stand next season if we are in this division. The famous five would be a candidate for closure. The famous five lower would also be a candidate for safe standing in the future.

Why would they close the famous five when it's almost full with the same season ticket holders every season?

RoYO!
05-05-2016, 06:36 AM
Don't really see the need. People stand at the front/ back of 43 all game currently.

May also make the stadium less appealing for internationals etc

Pretty Boy
05-05-2016, 06:47 AM
It's a nice idea but it costs a fortune.

I'm sure ICT looked into it and the cost was about £60 per person for the rail seats alone, that was a few year ago now. Add in labour costs and that's a lot of money for a standing area even for as little as 2000 people.

Having a balance in the ground with areas for those who wish to sit and those who wish to stand would be good but unless someone wanted to stump up the cash for it I'd rather we channel resources to where they are actually required urgently.

hibsbollah
05-05-2016, 06:55 AM
Last time we had a poll on here somewhere around 85-90% of over 150 people supported the idea.

3pm
05-05-2016, 06:57 AM
The way things are going, you should be able to stand safely next season if you want to.

There won't be many there.

hibsbollah
05-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Some good links here.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/safe-standing-facts/

Hermit Crab
05-05-2016, 08:08 AM
Why would they close the famous five when it's almost full with the same season ticket holders every season?

Right then. Its the least populated stand in the ground.