PDA

View Full Version : Everton

heretoday
04-05-2016, 06:52 AM
According to the Grand Old Team Everton fan forum, Phil Neville, David Unsworth and Alan Stubbs have already been interviewed for the Goodison job.

Pete
04-05-2016, 06:54 AM
I think the third one is just guesswork.

worcesterhibby
04-05-2016, 07:04 AM
I just can't see Stubbs being given a job in the EPL yet. So much money at stake to trust a manager whose only experience is moderate success in the Scottish 2nd tier.

matty_f
04-05-2016, 07:08 AM
We'd have had to have given permission to Everton if that was the case.

hibeemikey21
04-05-2016, 07:17 AM
I just can't see Stubbs being given a job in the EPL yet. So much money at stake to trust a manager whose only experience is moderate success in the Scottish 2nd tier.

Even though it's unlikely, it is worth pointing out that he's got the most managerial experience of all those listed!!

pacoluna
04-05-2016, 07:18 AM
Would imagine Everton would go for more experience than any of they three. Stubbs still has a lot to do at Hibs before other teams start to take an interest in my opinion.

Pretty Boy
04-05-2016, 07:22 AM
That appointment would go down like a lead balloon with Everton fans.

Not a popular chap amongst sections of the support.

JimBHibees
04-05-2016, 08:12 AM

Totally I think, if he was to go there it would be as assistant to someone else.

easty
04-05-2016, 08:15 AM
What job? No chance any of them will get Martinez post.

CallumLaidlaw
04-05-2016, 08:19 AM
I think I'm safe to say that I'm 100% certain Stubbs won't be the next Everton manager. Everton fans are turning their nose up at the likes of Mark Hughes and Carlo Ancelotti, they would be raging with an appointment like Stubbs. I think while Kenwright may have appointed one of the 3 listed, the new shareholder will have a major say in the next boss. Its apparently him thats pushing for Martinez to be sacked. Kenwright would probably leave Martinez in charge.

J-C
04-05-2016, 08:29 AM
I think I'm safe to say that I'm 100% certain Stubbs won't be the next Everton manager. Everton fans are turning their nose up at the likes of Mark Hughes and Carlo Ancelotti, they would be raging with an appointment like Stubbs. I think while Kenwright may have appointed one of the 3 listed, the new shareholder will have a major say in the next boss. Its apparently him thats pushing for Martinez to be sacked. Kenwright would probably leave Martinez in charge.

Martinez is another of these new managers who wants everyone in the team to be able to play passing attractive football and ignores the basics of defending, the defence at times is a joke. He struggled at Wigan every year and had one success in the cup, similar to Brendan Rodgers both lived off their small success at Swansea and got bigger gigs only to show they were not good enough.

SJM
04-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Moyes will be back at Everton. Will he want Stubbs or Big Dunc as his number two is the serious question.

CallumLaidlaw
04-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Martinez is another of these new managers who wants everyone in the team to be able to play passing attractive football and ignores the basics of defending, the defence at times is a joke. He struggled at Wigan every year and had one success in the cup, similar to Brendan Rodgers both lived off their small success at Swansea and got bigger gigs only to show they were not good enough.

Yip, agree 100%. On paper, Baines Jagielka Stones Coleman with Barry/Besic sitting in front should be one of the best defences in the league, and then they have attacking talent like Barkley, Lukaku, Lennon, Deulofeu, Mirallas, but yet they're sitting in the bottom half of the league. As much as Moyes was fairly old school and pregmatic in his approach, he'd have that team much higher in the league.

dazwol
04-05-2016, 08:36 AM
I can categorically state that Everton would have not interviewed any of the above for that Job. Stubbs wouldn't be an unpopular choice because of who he is, in the main he would be welcomed back with open arms to the club in a coaching type role.....he wouldn't be welcomed as manager simply because the fans (myself included) want the board to at last show some ambition. We need a manager notw to take us on to the next step.....who is first and foremost responsible at the back and can then use the quality attacking players we have correctly to make an effective system. Martinex playing attractive football is one of those football rumours, unless you like watching sideways and backwards passing for 90 minutes, I have never known the Everton support so bored, deflated and demoralised.....and trust me, in the past under Kendall's latter reign, Mike Walker and Walter Smith we have seen some dyer football.

pacoluna
04-05-2016, 08:40 AM
Hes turning everton into wigan - nice to watch as a neutral but as a supporter i'm guessing there disappointing league finishes are becoming a concern.

J-C
04-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Yip, agree 100%. On paper, Baines Jagielka Stones Coleman with Barry/Besic sitting in front should be one of the best defences in the league, and then they have attacking talent like Barkley, Lukaku, Lennon, Deulofeu, Mirallas, but yet they're sitting in the bottom half of the league. As much as Moyes was fairly old school and pregmatic in his approach, he'd have that team much higher in the league.

If you look at Sir Alex Man U teams they were always exciting attacking teams but they always had a very solid defence, Bruce, Pallister, Stam, Rio and Vidic.

easty
04-05-2016, 08:43 AM
Hes turning everton into wigan - nice to watch as a neutral but as a supporter i'm guessing there disappointing league finishes are becoming a concern.

Were Wigan nice to watch? I don't remember them like that at all.

SJM
04-05-2016, 08:47 AM

They had monsters in their team. Did we not play them in a friendly at Easter road? They all looked double the size if our players.

Martinez done an amazing job at Wigan to bring them up and keep them up. Can't see how anyone could deny that.

pacoluna
04-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Yes but became predictable leading to there demise.

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2016, 08:59 AM

I think he hyped up the style of play - just like he's doing at Everton.

He's football's equivalent of Alistair Campbell.

Steve20
04-05-2016, 09:06 AM
They had monsters in their team. Did we not play them in a friendly at Easter road? They all looked double the size if our players.

Martinez done an amazing job at Wigan to bring them up and keep them up. Can't see how anyone could deny that.

Martinez didn't bring them up. They had been in the Premier for about 3-4 years before he arrived. He did however take them from a team that finished a respectable 11th just before he joined, to a team that fought relegation and eventually went down.

Just Jimmy
04-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Paul jewell got Wigan up.

Roberto Martinez is a football charlatan. another one of these managers who isn't good enough but jobs for the boys keeps in football circles.

Everton are a class club and deserve much better.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

stoneyburn hibs
04-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Moyes will be back at Everton. Will he want Stubbs or Big Dunc as his number two is the serious question.

That would be my punt, Moyes and possibly Stubbs as an understudy.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2016, 09:40 AM

Martinez done an amazing job at Wigan to bring them up and keep them up. Can't see how anyone could deny that.Wigan were up years before they appointed Martinez.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2016, 09:41 AM
That would be my punt, Moyes and possibly Stubbs as an understudy.

Why would Moyes change the assistant he has worked with for 15 years?

stoneyburn hibs
04-05-2016, 10:13 AM
Why would Moyes change the assistant he has worked with for 15 years?

I really don't know if he would, not to say that Stubbs wouldn't go back there in some capacity.

SJM
04-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Martinez didn't bring them up. They had been in the Premier for about 3-4 years before he arrived. He did however take them from a team that finished a respectable 11th just before he joined, to a team that fought relegation and eventually went down.

My bad.

Wilson
04-05-2016, 10:24 AM
I don't think Stubbs would take a coaching role or an understudy one. He is his own man and has too much about him.

Calderwood is an example of the type that leaves for an assistants role - a man running for cover.

We may lose Stubbs to a bigger paid job. It wont be in charge of Everton. It wont be understudy at Everton.

Scorrie
04-05-2016, 10:27 AM
The next Everton manager will have to be a bigger and higher profile name than those mentioned in the OP. Living here and also being a blue the impact Klopp has made for LFC cannot be underestimated, not least in terms of headlines and profile off the pitch (as well as improvements on it). Everton have a serious potential investor on board now and a high profile manager with previous success is vital for the club if they are serious about moving forward and and in trying to counter the Klopp effect if nothing else

djs69
04-05-2016, 03:45 PM
Pish

04-05-2016, 04:01 PM
I can't see a club as big as Everton taking a punt on Stubbs. Don't get me wrong, Stubbs has done a good job building a team from scratch after the Butcher era but he is still new to management and as of yet he's not won anything.

LancsHibs
04-05-2016, 04:44 PM
Everton will go for the biggest named manager they can possibly attract/afford, massive throw of the dice for them with the next appointment. Even if Stubbsy gets promotion and wins that cup he would not be on the frame!

SJM
04-05-2016, 04:59 PM
Germany manager after the Euros is who they want apparently.

heretoday
04-05-2016, 05:58 PM
My bet would be Koeman from Southampton.

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
I would say there is zero chance of any of them being the next Everton boss. You don't have millions sitting in your bank, become majority shareholder at a big EPL club then appoint the Hibs manager.

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Mainstream media reporting that Martinez has now been sacked and compensation is being ironed out before being announced.

Frank De Boer seems to be the favourite after leaving Ajax this morning.

Onion
12-05-2016, 03:13 PM

:top marks Forget Stubbs to Everton. They would be crazy to put their EPL status on the line for a Scottish Champ manager who's won nothing. No sentiment in football at that level.

jacomo
12-05-2016, 03:21 PM
I would say there is zero chance of any of them being the next Everton boss. You don't have millions sitting in your bank, become majority shareholder at a big EPL club then appoint the Hibs manager.

:agree:

There will be loads of high achieving managers begging for that gig. Biggish club in the EPL with money to spend.

Billy Whizz
12-05-2016, 03:22 PM
:agree:

There will be loads of high achieving managers begging for that gig. Biggish club in the EPL with money to spend.

Do think Rafa would take it.....

JimBHibees
12-05-2016, 03:23 PM

Would Everton take him with his Liverpool connections, no chance IMO.

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Confirmed by Everton now

J-C
12-05-2016, 04:22 PM

Not after the things he said about Everton when at Liverpool.

ekhibee
12-05-2016, 04:28 PM
Rodgers nearly won the premiership with Liverpool, hardly a failure. He came closer than quite a few other Liverpool managers in recent years too.

Scottie
12-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Not after the things he said about Everton when at Liverpool.
The fat Spanish waiter would take any job if the money was right :wink:

easty
12-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Rodgers nearly won the premiership with Liverpool, hardly a failure. He came closer than quite a few other Liverpool managers in recent years too.

Nearly counts for nothing.

Scouse Hibee
12-05-2016, 08:41 PM
Mainstream media reporting that Martinez has now been sacked and compensation is being ironed out before being announced.

Frank De Boer seems to be the favourite after leaving Ajax this morning.

Apparently his brother Rupert is also in the frame.

J-C
12-05-2016, 08:41 PM

And take away the goals from Suarez and Sturridge he struggled the year after, jeez he even paid money for Balatelli

Hibernia&Alba
12-05-2016, 08:54 PM
I'm quite surprised by this; Everton aren't normally a sacking club. However, they recently received some big investment, and perhaps they played a role in this. Martinez always seems a nice guy; I'm sure he'll find another club.

Scouse Hibee
12-05-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm quite surprised by this; Everton aren't normally a sacking club. However, they recently received some big investment, and perhaps they played a role in this. Martinez always seems a nice guy; I'm sure he'll find another club.

Nice guy, poor manager according to the Evertonians.

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2016, 08:58 PM

Probably do a better job than Martinez

bigwheel
12-05-2016, 08:59 PM
Nice guy, poor manager according to the Evertonians.

Not a year ago it wasn't. Fans go by results - rarely do they think long term - I'm sure he will be in a big job soon

Scouse Hibee
12-05-2016, 09:02 PM
Not a year ago it wasn't. Fans go by results - rarely do they think long term - I'm sure he will be in a big job soon

I very much doubt he will be in a big job,Everton have a squad of quality players,Martinez just couldn't get them playing.He seems to struggle defensively according to my blue mates,he also made some very strange selection decisions.

G B Young
12-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Nearly counts for nothing.

Would you say Hibs' achievement in reaching both domestic cup finals in one season while playing in the Championship will count for nothing if we end up losing both of them? If nearly counts for nothing we'd have been as well crashing out of both tournaments in the opening round.

CallumLaidlaw
12-05-2016, 09:40 PM
I very much doubt he will be in a big job,Everton have a squad of quality players,Martinez just couldn't get them playing.He seems to struggle defensively according to my blue mates,he also made some very strange selection decisions.

On paper a back 4 of baines, jagielka, stones and Coleman should be pretty defensively sound but they are honking

marleyhib
12-05-2016, 10:27 PM
1 win in 11, Martinez talks a good game but was the same at Wigan, defensively poor. Happy days as Sunderland pumped them last night to stay up.

Stubbs has no chance of getting the job, De Boer resigned today - seems like more than a coincidence.

jgl07
12-05-2016, 11:06 PM
My bet would be Koeman from Southampton.
Aye like Koeman is going to leave Southampton for Everton! Delusion of the first order. Koeman will end up at a really big club in time not a cash strapped basket case like Everton. They need to build a new stadium as well as invest in the team.

If I was Everton I would have a go for Manuel Pelligrini. He has a proven record of getting the best out of small clubs like Villareal and Malaga. He could do better in Spain (Valencia?) but he has expressed a preference to stay in England.

Mibbes Aye
12-05-2016, 11:24 PM
On paper a back 4 of baines, jagielka, stones and Coleman should be pretty defensively sound but they are honking

There was a good feature on football365 about Brendan Galloway, comparing his starts at left-back to Leighton Baines. Galloway got a lot of starts in the first half of the season due to Baines being injured.

Everton have gained nearly double the points when Galloway started as compared to Baines. With Baines returning from injury, Galloway hasn't played a minute in the EPL this calendar year though.

Mibbes Aye
12-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Aye like Koeman is going to leave Southampton for Everton! Delusion of the first order. Koeman will end up at a really big club in time not a cash strapped basket case like Everton. They need to build a new stadium as well as invest in the team.

If I was Everton I would have a go for Manuel Pelligrini. He has a proven record of getting the best out of small clubs like Villareal and Malaga. He could do better in Spain (Valencia?) but he has expressed a preference to stay in England.

:agree: Koeman is being talked up for Arsenal, though I think Joachim Low has to be a contender.

I agree about Pellegrini. I think he would be good for Everton.

CallumLaidlaw
13-05-2016, 06:48 AM

You maybe haven't followed what has been going on at Everton. They have a new billionaire majority shareholder who has promised to invest in the team and with the move to a new stadium. They're certainly not cash strapped. And while they're not the team they used to be, they're still bigger than Southampton

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 09:47 AM

Does that pass for humour in Liverpool. Dear oh dear. :greengrin

JimBHibees
13-05-2016, 09:53 AM

A few of them have been injured for long spells though, also the style of play favoured by Martinez encourages the full backs to play like wingers. They are dependent defensively alot on Barry/McCarthy also. Quite like the way his team plays however the results have been poor. Some of his more recent signings haven't been great..

CallumLaidlaw
13-05-2016, 09:58 AM
A few of them have been injured for long spells though, also the style of play favoured by Martinez encourages the full backs to play like wingers. They are dependent defensively alot on Barry/McCarthy also. Quite like the way his team plays however the results have been poor. Some of his more recent signings haven't been great..

Mori is a decent defender too so should be ample cover for Stones/Jags, and also Galloway has looked good at left back.

And the new striker, Niasse, looks dreadful.

seanshow
13-05-2016, 10:19 AM
Everton will demand a bigger and more experienced manager than Stubbsy.

I don't see Stubbs being anyone's assistant and that includes the clubs he loves.