PDA

View Full Version : Kosovo accepted into UEFA

SteveHFC
03-05-2016, 03:06 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36193445

Kosovo have been granted membership of European governing body Uefa.
The vote was 28-24 in favour of the country which declared independence from Serbia in 2008. The Serbs strongly opposed Kosovo's election.
Kosovo played their first international friendly in 2014 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26451936) after being granted permission by football's global governing body Fifa.
Joining Uefa means they can now apply to Fifa and could play in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup if accepted.
Kosovo, which is still not a United Nations member, previously attempted to recruit the services of Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj, who was born to Kosovan-Albanian parents.
But the 21-year-old winger has since played for Belgium, the country of his birth.
Kosovo's complicated political status has seen several players born in the state play for different countries, including Xherdan Shaqiri and Valon Behrami (Switzerland), Shefki Kuqi (Finland) and Lorik Cana (Albania).

GreenLake
03-05-2016, 03:48 PM

The vote was 28-24 in favour of the country which declared independence from Serbia in 2008. The Serbs strongly opposed Kosovo's election.
Kosovo played their first international friendly in 2014 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-26451936) after being granted permission by football's global governing body Fifa.
Joining Uefa means they can now apply to Fifa and could play in qualifying for the 2018 World Cup if accepted.
Kosovo, which is still not a United Nations member, previously attempted to recruit the services of Manchester United's Adnan Januzaj, who was born to Kosovan-Albanian parents.
But the 21-year-old winger has since played for Belgium, the country of his birth.
Kosovo's complicated political status has seen several players born in the state play for different countries, including Xherdan Shaqiri and Valon Behrami (Switzerland), Shefki Kuqi (Finland) and Lorik Cana (Albania).

Another potential banana skin to draw in the qualifiers.

steakbake
03-05-2016, 03:54 PM
Allan Green will be doing his nut in. He famously commented that competitions should be cleared of "ridiculous" teams on the eve of England drawing with Costa Rica and crashing out of the World Cup.

Personally, the more the merrier. Kosovo are also likely to be able to draw on some pretty handy diaspora players, I reckon. They'll be a reasonably tricky team to be drawn against.

SJM
03-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Could be some tasty games in that region in future qualifiers. I've never liked the Serbs and would love to see them get pumped off the likes of Kosovo and Albania.

CropleyWasGod
03-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Another potential banana skin to draw in the qualifiers.

Kuqi to score the winner :greengrin

Albanian Hibs
03-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Great 🙄

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 06:45 PM
Could be some tasty games in that region in future qualifiers. I've never liked the Serbs and would love to see them get pumped off the likes of Kosovo and Albania.

There's not a chance in hell of Serbia and Kosovo being allowed to be drawn in the same group anytime soon.

Giro Playboy
03-05-2016, 06:48 PM
There's not a chance in hell of Serbia and Kosovo being allowed to be drawn in the same group anytime soon. Serbia have said they will refuse to play them as they dont recognise Kosovos right to exist. Im sure when Gibraltar joined FIFA Spain said they would never play them.

hibsdaft
03-05-2016, 06:48 PM
There's not a chance in hell of Serbia and Kosovo being allowed to be drawn in the same group anytime soon.

my first thought too.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Serbia have said they will refuse to play them as they dont recognise Kosovos right to exist. Im sure when Gibraltar joined FIFA Spain said they would never play them.

Correct.

Gibraltar and Spain are not allowed to play each other and their relationship is a lot less volatile than the one between Serbia and Kosovo. Serbia doesn't recognise Kosovo's declaration of independence.

Armenia and Azerbaijan won't play each other either due to the ongoing Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

Hibernia&Alba
03-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Are Serbia and Bosnia allowed to play each other? And what about Serbia and Croatia?

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Are Serbia and Bosnia allowed to play each other? And what about Serbia and Croatia?

Yes to both of them.

jacomo
03-05-2016, 06:59 PM
Brexit now! :wink:

Zazu62
03-05-2016, 07:01 PM
What teams in Europe or world football can't play each other? Is there any?

lucky
03-05-2016, 07:02 PM
Does Queen Nicola know that countries can refuse to play each other? I'm sure our games against England would be cancelled.

Hibernia&Alba
03-05-2016, 07:03 PM

How about Iran and Israel? That must be a good shout.

steakbake
03-05-2016, 07:05 PM
Does Queen Nicola know that countries can refuse to play each other? I'm sure our games against England would be cancelled.

Eh?!

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 07:10 PM
How about Iran and Israel? That must be a good shout.

Most of the Asian continent wouldn't play against Israel. That's the reason why they are members of UEFA.

Zazu62
03-05-2016, 07:13 PM
Azerbaijan and Armenia are the only 2 I think

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 07:17 PM

Serbia and Albania probably won't be playing each other anytime soon after the incident that took place during their Euro 2016 qualification match, a year or so ago.

Funnily enough there doesn't seem to be any ban on North Korea playing South Korea, despite the two nations still being technically at war.

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Eh?!

best ignored, he couldn't wind a clock up

:coffee:

JC94
03-05-2016, 07:27 PM

Russia cant play Ukraine as well as their club teams cant play each other should they meet in any European competitions. Azerbaijan cant play Armenia due to troubles that have started back again this year for the first time in 30 years.

Hibernia&Alba
03-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Russia cant play Ukraine as well as their club teams cant play each other should they meet in any European competitions. Azerbaijan cant play Armenia due to troubles that have started back again this year for the first time in 30 years.

That's a good shout.

steakbake
03-05-2016, 07:31 PM
Never mind banning stuff. Just get the SFA to lend them the magic Old Firm hair dryer. Probably net us more than the p***taking sponsorship deals they keep meekly agreeing to.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 07:35 PM
I think Russia and Georgia might be off the cards at the moment too.

Albanian Hibs
03-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Serbia and Albania probably won't be playing each other anytime soon after the incident that took place during their Euro 2016 qualification match, a year or so ago.

Funnily enough there doesn't seem to be any ban on North Korea playing South Korea, despite the two nations still being technically at war.

They have actually played each other once since that drone incident happened in 2014 in Serbia. They played in Albania in Oct last year

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 07:44 PM
They have actually played each other once since that drone incident happened in 2014 in Serbia. They played in Albania in Oct last year

Yeah I know but that was in the return game in the same qualification group.

I would doubt if they'll be drawn together in the same group again in the near future.

Glory Lurker
03-05-2016, 07:54 PM
Scotland are banned from playing anyone at all in major championships.

Bristolhibby
03-05-2016, 07:59 PM
Azerbaijan and Armenia are the only 2 I think

IIRC Russia and Georgia are another. On account of Russia invading Georgia a couple of years ago.

What about Russia and Ukraine?

J

Bristolhibby
03-05-2016, 08:02 PM

Regarding Adnan Januzaj, is there not Precedence after the breakup of Yugoslavia where players played for Yugoslavia and then played for their newly independent country? Most of the original Croatia team had played for Yugoslavia.

J

GreenLake
03-05-2016, 08:17 PM
Serbia have said they will refuse to play them as they dont recognise Kosovos right to exist. Im sure when Gibraltar joined FIFA Spain said they would never play them.

That's okay. 3 points to Kosovo

EH75
03-05-2016, 09:30 PM
Regarding Adnan Januzaj, is there not Precedence after the breakup of Yugoslavia where players played for Yugoslavia and then played for their newly independent country? Most of the original Croatia team had played for Yugoslavia.

J

Aye but was that not because yugoslavia no longer existed and therefore there was no alternative? Bit gutting for Januzaj though I'm sure I read somewhere before that Kosovo was always his first choice.

Bishop Hibee
03-05-2016, 11:17 PM
Interesting article here http://www.worldsoccer.com/features/footballs-greatest-rivalries-turkey-v-armenia-366683 on how football helped thaw relations between Armenia and Turkey.

ekhibee
04-05-2016, 01:00 AM
Surely they'll have Rita Ora singing the national anthem at the start of each game? She's the only famous Kossovan I can think of.

MWHIBBIES
04-05-2016, 02:34 AM
Surely they'll have Rita Ora singing the national anthem at the start of each game? She's the only famous Kossovan I can think of.Quite a few well known footballers, Valon Behrami, Lorik Cana, Adnan Januzaj, Xherdan Shaqiri and Granit Xhaka all born there.

LancsHibs
04-05-2016, 07:30 AM
Surely they'll have Rita Ora singing the national anthem at the start of each game? She's the only famous Kossovan I can think of.

She's Bosnian

MoscowHibs
04-05-2016, 07:53 AM
I'm pretty sure Cyprus playing Turkey is a no no just now. When I was living in Nicosia Fenerbahce basketball club were playing Apoel. The Turks were sneaked into the Greek side from the Turkish side and it was total mayhem, a crowd gathered outside wanting blood, which resulted in the Turks being holed up in the sports arena for 24 hours before being sneaked back out.

JC94
04-05-2016, 03:51 PM
IIRC Russia and Georgia are another. On account of Russia invading Georgia a couple of years ago.

What about Russia and Ukraine?

J

They cant play each other, kept apart in international and club competitions. Last years Europa League quarter final 3 out of the 8 teams were from Russia/Ukraine and Uefa didnt have plan in place should they have advanced to the Semi.

Sir David Gray
04-05-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure Cyprus playing Turkey is a no no just now. When I was living in Nicosia Fenerbahce basketball club were playing Apoel. The Turks were sneaked into the Greek side from the Turkish side and it was total mayhem, a crowd gathered outside wanting blood, which resulted in the Turks being holed up in the sports arena for 24 hours before being sneaked back out.

I'm pretty sure that will be correct since Turkey doesn't recognise Cyprus' sovereignty due to their claims on the northern part of the island.

The Greek Cypriots, in my experience, absolutely despise Turkey.

SJM
04-05-2016, 04:25 PM
I'm pretty sure that will be correct since Turkey doesn't recognise Cyprus' sovereignty due to their claims on the northern part of the island.

The Greek Cypriots, in my experience, absolutely despise Turkey.

What do they have for Xmas dinner then?

LancsHibs
04-05-2016, 04:35 PM
What do they have for Xmas dinner then?

There are no Turkeys in Cyprus just massive dry chickens!

Albanian Hibs
04-05-2016, 04:37 PM
She's Bosnian

Nope. Born in Prishtina (Kosovo) to Albanian parents

LancsHibs
04-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Nope. Born in Prishtina (Kosovo) to Albanian parents

My mistake, just recall one of her videos being filmed in Sarajevo and her saying something about home? Maybe she lived there at some time??

SJM
04-05-2016, 04:58 PM
There are no Turkeys in Cyprus just massive dry chickens!

Different gravy over there.

Bristolhibby
04-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Aye but was that not because yugoslavia no longer existed and therefore there was no alternative? Bit gutting for Januzaj though I'm sure I read somewhere before that Kosovo was always his first choice.

I recon he would have a good case to set a Precedence. Almost like the Eire v Northern Ireland type of case. I'm generalising with my example, Born a Catholic in one Nothern Ireland, but not feeling that country represents you is able to play for another (the Republic).

J

ekhibee
04-05-2016, 05:53 PM
She's Bosnian
No she isn't, she was born in Kossovo, she's from an ethnic Albanian family.