PDA

View Full Version : Sir Albert Day - 30th Anniversary.

Winston Ingram
03-05-2016, 06:27 AM
30 yrs ago today, a football club produced one of the greatest bottle jobs in sporting history. :brokenyam: #AK86

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10267148/how-the-8586-premier-league-was-won-and-lost

Sandy Clark seems to have a very obscure idea of what is a stonewall penalty.

OtleyHibs
03-05-2016, 06:51 AM
My very earliest football memory. Happy Sir Albert Kidd everyone, I hope you all remember to do something special for the jambos in your life : )

Winston Ingram
03-05-2016, 06:57 AM
Not even the slightest acknowledgement of this event on Kickback yet :whistle:

Tinribs
03-05-2016, 08:40 AM
30 yrs ago today, a football club produced one of the greatest bottle jobs in sporting history. :brokenyam: #AK86

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/scottish-football/10267148/how-the-8586-premier-league-was-won-and-lost

Sandy Clark seems to have a very obscure idea of what is a stonewall penalty.

Looked a good tackle to me, played the ball and didn't have high feet or anything dangerous like that. Just Jambovision I think :)

bod
03-05-2016, 08:45 AM
never a pen for me & ive no saw it yet :wink:

Winston Ingram
03-05-2016, 09:04 AM
There is a thread on JKB

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/160386-dens/page-2

This post is glorious

I was there with a mate. It was awful. Obviously. I recall some people saying they had heard that Celtic had scored a couple guys ( via the wee radio they had with them) and guys saying it didnt matter as we just had to win. The train ride back was devastating. It was like a funeral cairrage. Plans we had for that night were shelved and i just went home. I also i had a sweat shirt with HMFC League Champions on it. It was quickly hidden and then binned later that year

FranckSuzy
03-05-2016, 09:06 AM
There is a thread on JKB

This post is glorious

There's one error in that post though, they only needed ONE point :agree: :wink:

Kato
03-05-2016, 09:07 AM
never a pen for me & ive no saw it yet :wink:

Watch it. Good tackle, if he thinks that is a pen he's still hurting and clutching badly.

Monts
03-05-2016, 09:10 AM
They had a nice little piece about it on radio Scotland this morning :greengrin

Col2
03-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Isn't it funny that two significant events - Leicestrr title and 30 anniversary of that day at Dens and Craig Lecein not referenced anywhere in any press/media.

You would think any connection with Leicester from Scottish perspective would be all over Scottish press but reality is that Levein short spell at Leicester was a failure and forgettable due to the type of football they played and the crap footballers he signed - aka Kirsnorbo.

And then Dens with lots of ex Hearts and Dundee players being interviewed. What about Levein? He was in the toilet crapping himself have a wee cry.

Craig Levein - a loser as player and manager.

Winston Ingram
03-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Watch it. Good tackle, if he thinks that is a pen he's still hurting and clutching badly.

It's a great tackle. :agree:

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2016, 10:06 AM
we can laugh all we want but at least they made up for it by winning the scottish cup the following week

i wish they would bring out a DVD of those special 7 days, the DVD would be sat beside the DVD's of rising damp and only fools and horses, classic comedy gold

i thank you sir Albertos of Kidd

:hilarious the original bottlers

number9dream
03-05-2016, 10:34 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36186819

Nice trip down memory lane...

cabbageandribs1875
03-05-2016, 10:52 AM
as an aside, does any other poster still get a happy anniversary e-mail from .net every 3rd may :)

Carheenlea
03-05-2016, 11:25 AM
http://i64.tinypic.com/2433yjc.jpg

Waxy
03-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Pity there was no camaras at The Hibs-Dundee utd that day. Place went bananas. So glad i was there.

jgl07
03-05-2016, 11:56 AM
You just can't keep him out of the news!

Has Albert ever had to buy a drink for himself in the last 40 years?

Bostonhibby
03-05-2016, 12:25 PM
There is a thread on JKB

This post is glorious
And there you have it. Johnnie jambo. Arrogant and delusional, it's not the first time they've convinced themselves and right up to Romanov and beyond it won't be the last.

They've bought the sweatshirts[emoji23] [emoji23]

monktonharp
03-05-2016, 12:32 PM
You just can't keep him out of the news!

Has Albert ever had to buy a drink for himself in the last 40 years?don't know about that but I do know that me and my mate went for a pint to celebtate just a couple of hours after the gam e. our first pint was on the house, at the Seahaven Hotel. Sir Patrick of Stanton was the Patron at that time. did hear him trying to console a few in the other bar when their bus came back .gave us a wee wink, as he said very unlucky lads.

G B Young
03-05-2016, 12:37 PM
Here's the BBC coverage of that great day.

Bit desperate to read Kenny Black trying to compare that Hearts side with Leicester. Dundee United's title win a few years before was Leicester-esque yes, but Hearts? Habitually regarded as most people's most disliked club outwith the Old Firm, nah there was no such goodwill towards them, more of an all-round mirth at their capitulation.

KeithTheHibby
03-05-2016, 12:43 PM
We as a club may be mocked from time to time about games that we haven't won however this mob will always be remembered as the biggest bottle merchants after chucking the league title in the last 7 minutes. Twice I may add.

Winston Ingram
03-05-2016, 12:50 PM
Here's the BBC coverage of that great day.

Bit desperate to read Kenny Black trying to compare that Hearts side with Leicester. Dundee United's title win a few years before was Leicester-esque yes, but Hearts? Habitually regarded as most people's most disliked club outwith the Old Firm, nah there was no such goodwill towards them, more of an all-round mirth at their capitulation.

Even he was banging on about the penalty they should have got. I've heard them bang on about this pen for 30 yrs as i couldn't remember it. The sky clip at the top is the 1st time i've seen it. Reason I couldn't remember it was because it was never a pen in a million years

car1973
03-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Mentioned on a separate thread but Sir Albert's story is now available here:

http://www.tecklebooks.co.uk/books-2/ak86-two-shots-in-the-heart-of-scottish-football

stoneyburn hibs
03-05-2016, 01:15 PM
They had a nice little piece about it on radio Scotland this morning :greengrin

6:30 tonight for the full programme, probably worth a listen.

ekhibee
03-05-2016, 02:55 PM
A very Happy Sir Albert Day to everybody. Am I right in thinking 1 of the Hibs branches sends a bottle/jeroboam of champagne to Sir Albert every year? Thought it might have been Calton branch but maybe somebody will correct me, I just wondered.

Giro Playboy
03-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Pity there was no camaras at The Hibs-Dundee utd that day. Place went bananas. So glad i was there. In these days we would take transistors to the game to listen to other matches. I mind the boy beside me shouting ''Kidds scored'' and the collective groan of everyone around him. Then he shouted ''wait the now its no Walter its some c@~t called Albert''........ mayhem ensued.

SJM
03-05-2016, 05:15 PM
Mentioned on a separate thread but Sir Albert's story is now available here:

http://www.tecklebooks.co.uk/books-2/ak86-two-shots-in-the-heart-of-scottish-football

I got charged twice for it on amazon - seeing as he scored twice I seen it as quite poetic though so it's no issue :greengrin

Keith_M
03-05-2016, 05:18 PM
Happy Sir Albert of Kidd Day.

The biggest example of Jambottling it in the history of football.

Hi Heid Yin
03-05-2016, 05:43 PM
All due respect to the op, but this was not "one of the greatest bottle jobs", no, it was "THE greatest bottle job by any team, anywhere, any time"
Jambottled is the definitive term for any team that throws away a league championship not once, but twice in it's history - 1986 and 1965.
The pain of that fateful day in May 1986 will never go away as long as one supporter of the football club known as Heart of Midlothian exists.
Albert Kidd, we salute you!

northstandhibby
03-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Surely the biggest bottle job in the history of football. Arise Sir Albert the Yamslayer.

:not worth

Hi Heid Yin
03-05-2016, 05:52 PM
It really is head-shaking stuff the nonsense they are coming out with on Kickback. Stuff like: 1998 exorcised the pain of 1986! Winning a Scottish cup will never, ever, and I mean, "NEVER EVER" compensate for losing a league championship. A few lucky draws and a handful of wins will never, ever compete with 10 months of attrition facing all-comers.
The jambos bottled it and they know it. No excuse or twisted logic or delusion will ease the memory of 1986. It is the definitive bottle job.
To all you jambos looking in: DEAL WITH IT!

emerald green
03-05-2016, 06:09 PM
I'm not sure if it's commonly known that Sir Albert Kidd was and is a Celtic supporter.

He came on that fateful day (for the Yams that is) as a fairly late substitute knowing his "other team" were ripping St Midden to pieces, and went on to do the damage. Twice.

#Jambottle

Killiehibbie
03-05-2016, 06:11 PM
What an end to a game. What an even better night:greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
03-05-2016, 06:35 PM
There is a thread on JKB

This post is glorious

The seethe from the OP is just brilliant. A thread about the Devon Loch moment of football, but he has to deflect attention onto Hibs. :lolyam:

Sir Albert says hello, ye tramps :greengrin

I mentioned a while back talking to a Jambo who was there and who said NOT ONE WORD was uttered on his bus home :faf:. He was white as a sheet as he told me this, and is obviously still haunted three decades on.

Kato
03-05-2016, 07:50 PM
Some clippage, I like Feirgrieve's column.

I also think the sub-editor forgot to change the Hibs headline on the front of the Pink. I was very happy after the Hibs game, delighted in fact. Laughed like a drain the rest of the day, most of the following week and it still raises a chuckle. Jambottlers.

Sir David Gray
03-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Is it true that a few months later, and after Hearts had also lost the Scottish Cup final to Aberdeen a week later, the Hearts squad produced a remake of West Ham's anthem titled, "We're forever blowing doubles"? :confused:

Forza Fred
03-05-2016, 11:39 PM
A few years ago at a special function in Melbourne I had the honour to retrospectively present Sir Albert with the 85/86 Australia Branch Player of the Year Award.

He flew in from Adelaide, where he still resides.

Top bloke.

AL-Qaholik
04-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Just been sent this.

Who did it? Go on, own up... :greengrin

FranckSuzy
04-05-2016, 08:45 AM

Danderhall Hibs
04-05-2016, 12:38 PM
Just listened to it - Gary McKay clearly thinks that Levein let the side down by not turning up!

Carheenlea
04-05-2016, 12:39 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03t010j

Something to cheer you up while you wait in queue for tickets.