PDA

View Full Version : Dumbarton and QOS time-wasting when losing

Diclonius
02-05-2016, 09:49 AM
I have never seen this before from any team.

Why did these two teams deliberately take ages on goal kicks, free kicks and throw ins, kick the ball away and lie down injured when LOSING?

It makes no sense, and does not benefit them in any way - either they consider it of utmost importance to gain revenue next season from us being in the Championship, or there's a mentality of "we stopped Hibs from carrying out their game, therefore we somehow achieved something".

Either way I think this style of play was cynical and totally unsportsmanlike and if I was a fan of either team I'd be raging at those performances. Would you pay for a ticket and travel to Edinburgh from a good 1/2 hours away to see your plucky team defend for their lives to try and keep the score down? Pathetic.

Itsnoteasy
02-05-2016, 09:54 AM
I have never seen this before from any team.

Why did these two teams deliberately take ages on goal kicks, free kicks and throw ins, kick the ball away and lie down injured when LOSING?

It makes no sense, and does not benefit them in any way - either they consider it of utmost importance to gain revenue next season from us being in the Championship, or there's a mentality of "we stopped Hibs from carrying out their game, therefore we somehow achieved something".

Either way I think this style of play was cynical and totally unsportsmanlike and if I was a fan of either team I'd be raging against those performances. Would you pay for a ticket and travel to Edinburgh from a good 1/2 hours away to see your plucky team defend for their lives to try and keep the score down? Pathetic.

Not got a problem with it. That's up to them how they set their team up. Did you not see a Man City in Champions League they done the exact same. We also had plenty chances in second half to rack up a cricket score against both. We have the biggest time waster in the country. Mr Oxley but that's all right he plays for us.

HibsNutter
02-05-2016, 09:56 AM
Seriously pathetic, felt sorry for both sets of fans who had travelled through to watch that. It's fair enough sitting in and trying to dig out a draw, but to persist with that when losing is embarrassing.

We left ourselves an uphill task to grab second, but we still may have managed it if we weren't playing against such *****bags.

monktonharp
02-05-2016, 09:57 AM
it was pathetic, mainly from both goalkeepers , but they obviously do not particularly like us . the referees must see what is going on, with the goalies and book them for wasting time. all teams do it, but when they start moving the ball to the other side of the box, then turn it , then dig a wee hole, clean their boots by backheeling the post etc it is all to waste precious minutes.

SlickShoes
02-05-2016, 09:58 AM
It's understandable at 0-0 or in some sort of tie where they had a lead from the first leg, but yes wasting time when you are losing 2-0 just to get to full time at that score is poor, ultimate anti football. These teams had nothing to lose and should have went for it. Maybe they have something to gain though by us still being in this league, a boost to revenue not to the extent the rangers bring but a boost none the less with full away ends rather than ones populated with 50 punters.

hibee_girl
02-05-2016, 09:59 AM
I don't think we can complain about keepers time wasting when Oxley does it during every game.

Diclonius
02-05-2016, 10:00 AM
Well if we're down here next season and Stubbs is more than likely gone, we'll no longer be playing possession football - it'll be the Hearts/Rangers style direct wing play. We'll see how worth it they think it was when we're embarrassing them 5 or 6-0.

JimBHibees
02-05-2016, 10:01 AM
They simply didn't want to be hammered.

Itsnoteasy
02-05-2016, 10:09 AM
It's understandable at 0-0 or in some sort of tie where they had a lead from the first leg, but yes wasting time when you are losing 2-0 just to get to full time at that score is poor, ultimate anti football. These teams had nothing to lose and should have went for it. Maybe they have something to gain though by us still being in this league, a boost to revenue not to the extent the rangers bring but a boost none the less with full away ends rather than ones populated with 50 punters.
There won't be much boost in revenue if we are still in this league next season.
Better get used to the 6700 against dumbarton the other nigjt.

Ozyhibby
02-05-2016, 10:14 AM
It benefits them if we are not promoted as we bring more supporters to their ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waxy
02-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Maybe because if they keep us down it's more cash for their club. They were probably told this.

Alan62
02-05-2016, 10:20 AM
Oxley's timewasting is irrelevant on this thread. The OP is questioning the logic of teams wasting time when they are losing. It's a valid point. Against both Dumbarton and QoS there were large periods of the game where everyone but our goalkeeper was in their half. They also took every opportunity to run down the clock - even when they were two goals down. That's a completely different attitude than keeping it tight and hoping you may scrape a draw or get a winner on the break. In reality, it's an admission that the best these teams can hope for is leaving Easter Road without experiencing an embarassing defeat.

Wilson
02-05-2016, 10:37 AM
They simply didn't want to be hammered.

QotS are behind St. Mirren on goal difference only. It was in their interests, in terms of league placing, to lose by not too many.

jgl07
02-05-2016, 10:49 AM
Don't blame the players. Blame the referee for letting them get away with it. A verbal warning followed by a booking and then a sending off will do the trick. Also add 30 seconds on for every example of time wasting.

Whenever Hibs got a corner in the second half one of their players would stand too close for the kick to be taken. One player was told to move back three or four times by the linesman. No bookings followed.

Jack Hackett
02-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Not got a problem with it. That's up to them how they set their team up. Did you not see a Man City in Champions League they done the exact same. We also had plenty chances in second half to rack up a cricket score against both. We have the biggest time waster in the country. Mr Oxley but that's all right he plays for us.

There's a big difference between setting yourself up in the first of 2 games to not lose by a cricket score, giving yourself a chance in the 2nd leg, and what QotS did yesterday in a game which was basically meaningless to them.

I'm by no means saying they should have lain down to us, but at the very least, they should have been attempting to put on a show for their travelling support in the last game of their season, rather than just trying to keep the score down. 1 goal attempt (not on target) in 90 minutes, is a bit pathetic.

HFC 0-7
02-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Oxley does it enough!! My biggest gripe in the Dumbarton game was that the ball was lying in the net and none of our players went to get the ball to get the game re started despite shouts from the crowd to do so. I don't think the players grasped, in the Dumbarton game, that there was a real chance of wiping get out the goal difference. If I was a Dumbarton player I would have been time wasting as there was a real chance of getting hammered if hibs kept up the tempo from the first 15 or 20 mins.

Borderhibbie76
02-05-2016, 11:04 AM
I don't think we can complain about keepers time wasting when Oxley does it during every game.
A thread about anti football from opposition teams but some still can't resist having a dig at our own keeper...really??

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Onion
02-05-2016, 11:07 AM

Whoosh! Think you've missed the point.

hibee_girl
02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
A thread about anti football from opposition teams but some still can't resist having a dig at our own keeper...really??

I'm not having a dig, just pointing out that our keeper does it too. Though I've yet to see him need a drink at 30 minutes in like the keeper yesterday :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
We've got to be the only set of fans that get on our players case about time wasting?

Trying to compare it to the blatant time wasting others do whether winning, drawing ior losing is ridiculous.

Borderhibbie76
02-05-2016, 11:13 AM
I'm not having a dig, just pointing out that our keeper does it too. Though I've yet to see him need a drink at 30 minutes in like the keeper yesterday :greengrin
Comparing Our own keeper taking his time when we are winning to the anti football tactics of Dumbarton and QOS when LOSING this week is having a dig I'm afraid. .whatever way u wanna dress it up

matty_f
02-05-2016, 11:14 AM
We've got to be the only set of fans that get on our players case about time wasting?

Trying to compare it to the blatant time wasting others do whether winning, drawing it losing is ridiculous.

:agree:

hibee_girl
02-05-2016, 11:16 AM
Comparing Our own keeper taking his time when we are winning to the anti football tactics of Dumbarton and QOS when LOSING this week is having a dig I'm afraid. .whatever way u wanna dress it up

Fair enough, I'm not going to argue over it.

BUT he doesn't just do it when we're winning :greengrin

Borderhibbie76
02-05-2016, 11:18 AM
Fair enough, I'm not going to argue over it.

BUT he doesn't just do it when we're winning :greengrin
He hasn't even played the last 2 games and still some are obsessed at slagging him off...it's constant negativity like this that does my head in on here tbh

hibee_girl
02-05-2016, 11:26 AM
He hasn't even played the last 2 games and still some are obsessed at slagging him off...it's constant negativity like this that does my head in on here tbh

I was joking in the last post, hence the smiley face!

kaimendhibs
02-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Man city had sommat massive to play for and weren't losing against madrid

patlowe
02-05-2016, 01:17 PM
I doubt it's anything sinister. Even if you're behind, taking the opportunity to break the other team's growing momentum can allow you to get a foothold in the game to build on. Having said that, QOS and Dumbarton are rank and were probably just engaging in "damage limitation".

McSwanky
02-05-2016, 01:41 PM
QotS are behind St. Mirren on goal difference only. It was in their interests, in terms of league placing, to lose by not too many.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here! St Mirren got a last minute equaliser against Rangers, putting them level on points with QoS, with a better goal difference of 1 and a better head to head record. The goal pushed QoS down to 7th. It wouldn't have mattered if QoS had lost by 12 goals or 1 goal yesterday, they'd still be 7th.

If St Mirren hadn't equalised, again the manner of defeat wouldn't have mattered as Queens would have been a point ahead.

If, however, Queens had had a bit of a go and somehow squeaked a draw, they would have finished 6th even though St Mirren drew.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I see playing for a 1-0 or 2-0 defeat as being utterly counter productive for Queens if they cared about their league placing.

GreenLake
02-05-2016, 02:14 PM
This phenomenon is much worse than time wasting while the score is even or being won. It does not offer that rare and beautiful karmic reversal when the time wasting perpetrators lose a goal and suddenly abandon their time wasting only to find their victims inflicting retribution as they drag out every throw in, corner, goal kick and substitution.

Ultimately, if the game is to be saved and returned to a worthy spectacle, the authorities will have to institute a timer the ref sets into countdown after each decision and a massive visual and audible measure will give 10 seconds for a throw in, 15 seconds for a corner and 10 seconds for a goal kick. Players going off the park will have 10 seconds to reach the touchline after their number is raised or the substitute cannot enter and the team is down to 10 men. Most importantly, any player standing in front of the ball at a free kick can be volleyed in the clackers without it being a foul.

02-05-2016, 02:18 PM

I agree.

Itsnoteasy
02-05-2016, 02:50 PM
There's a big difference between setting yourself up in the first of 2 games to not lose by a cricket score, giving yourself a chance in the 2nd leg, and what QotS did yesterday in a game which was basically meaningless to them.

I'm by no means saying they should have lain down to us, but at the very least, they should have been attempting to put on a show for their travelling support in the last game of their season, rather than just trying to keep the score down. 1 goal attempt (not on target) in 90 minutes, is a bit pathetic.

The same could be said for hibs at Morton, Alloa etc etc. They were shocking. Never put on a show for a far larger travelling support.

Jack Hackett
02-05-2016, 05:51 PM
The same could be said for hibs at Morton, Alloa etc etc. They were shocking. Never put on a show for a far larger travelling support.

What a strange way to look at different situations. No...the same couldn't be said. Were we actually time wasting in order to avoid heavier defeats? Crap as we were in those games, I don't think so.

blackpoolhibs
02-05-2016, 06:16 PM
If you have ever played in or watched your team getting played off the park and having no chance of winning, you will see that team slow things down and try and take the pace out of the game.

Why would they quickly give the opposition the ball back?