PDA

View Full Version : Comparison to last season

Monts
01-05-2016, 03:53 PM
2014/15 - 36 played, 70 points, +38GD
2015/16 - 36 played, 70 points, +25GD

Fairly consistent.

Just shows how well Falkirk have actually done. They would have finished above rangers too with that total last season, and I think I'm right in saying it's a total that has won this league before.

But it also goes to show we are scoring less goals this season, and lack of goals was a concern even last season.

Hibby Bairn
01-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Aye. Consistently sheeeitte.

Monts
01-05-2016, 04:01 PM
Aye. Consistently sheeeitte.

I'd say once we realised we wouldn't catch hearts, it was seen as an achievement to finish above rangers last season.

Hibby Bairn
01-05-2016, 04:02 PM
I'd say once we realised we wouldn't catch hearts, it was seen as an achievement to finish above rangers last season.

And then get beat by them in the play off.

Pete
01-05-2016, 04:03 PM
Falkirk have certainly improved there's no denying that. I don't feel comfy giving them credit though. :-(

SJM
01-05-2016, 04:03 PM
After all the excuses last season that the gorgie fannies had a year to prepare for life in this league to finish similarly this season with the squad we have in the league we are in is nothing short of disgraceful.

Michael
01-05-2016, 04:06 PM
After all the excuses last season that the gorgie fannies had a year to prepare for life in this league to finish similarly this season with the squad we have in the league we are in is nothing short of disgraceful.

It was a rubbish excuse anyway. Rangers had a year to prepare too and they were worse than us last season.

rcarter1
01-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Falkirk have certainly improved there's no denying that. I don't feel comfy giving them credit though. :-(

To be fair to them, in a league with ourselves and an improved Rangers, Falkirk have lost only 4 games all season. Im happy to give them all the credit going, just hope we thrash them in the play-offs.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 04:15 PM

Fairly consistent.

Just shows how well Falkirk have actually done. They would have finished above rangers too with that total last season, and I think I'm right in saying it's a total that has won this league before.

But it also goes to show we are scoring less goals this season, and lack of goals was a concern even last season.

There's no getting away from it, we have performed well below par this season in the league and it's not really good enough.

Finishing behind Falkirk, whether it's on goal difference or not, is an embarrassment.

However the recriminations can wait for another day, we have a massive three and a half weeks coming up and we all need to pull together to make sure that we are doing everything we can to make sure that the club is back where it belongs next season.

gaz1875
01-05-2016, 04:16 PM
I don't think other teams raise their games against Falkirk like they do against us or The Huns. Not looking for excuses but I bet they don't have teams with 11 defenders most weeks to play against.

CallumLaidlaw
01-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Rangers came third last year and got further than us in the play offs. I dont care about our position if we get promoted.

Winston Ingram
01-05-2016, 04:43 PM

Fairly consistent.

Falkirk have done well but Stubbs should be embarrassed at our league season. It maybe the same points but there was no Hearts in the league this year. Just a whole load of very poor sides that we continually struggle to beat.

Lago
01-05-2016, 04:47 PM
Yip they have lost 4 games to our 8, thereby hangs a tale.

Big_Franck
01-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Over 36 games to finish below Falkirk with our resources is really poor, to say the least. There is no getting away from the fact that we have been poor in the league.

I genuinely don't think we have improved from last season which is worrying.

Enough said
01-05-2016, 04:56 PM
falkirk have done well but stubbs should be embarrassed at our league season. It maybe the same points but there was no hearts in the league this year. Just a whole load of very poor sides that we continually struggle to beat. this

green day
01-05-2016, 04:58 PM

Are you on a bet to see how many times you can use the word disgraceful today??

Nobody is denying that we would have liked to have won the league or even come secon - but as we saw last year second doesnt guarantee anything (I am glad we didnt get it, as we would probably have gone away to La Manga again :greengrin)

But we are still in with a shout of promotion, and a 50/50 chance of winning the holy grail.

Chill out man

AZhibee
01-05-2016, 05:05 PM
Rangers came third last year and got further than us in the play offs. I dont care about our position if we get promoted.

True, but the evil ones failed to get promoted, imo, in part because they were exhausted and had faded down the stretch. They looked spent at ER and fell apart vs. Motherwell.

Hibby Bairn
01-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Had the third or fourth placed team been promoted from 2nd tier before?

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 05:39 PM
Had the third or fourth placed team been promoted from 2nd tier before?

No.

This is only the third season of the play offs and Hamilton are the only side to have been promoted via the play offs so far and they finished second that season. Sevco lost to Motherwell last season.

Stoney Hibee
01-05-2016, 05:45 PM
Over 36 games to finish below Falkirk with our resources is really poor, to say the least. There is no getting away from the fact that we have been poor in the league.

I genuinely don't think we have improved from last season which is worrying.

In the league structure we have finished 15th best, when did we last finish this low?

Newcastlehibby
01-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Looks like season 62/63 when we finished 16th. Behind QoS, Third Lanark and Falkirk!!!

Giro Playboy
01-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Last season we were still shell shocked from relegation and the huns were in disarray with their managerial merry go round.
This season the huns have improved dramatically under Warburton and Falkirk have punched above their weight but we have also had a year to get used to this league and we have also spent a lot of money. Third for me is not acceptable.

Hi Heid Yin
01-05-2016, 05:58 PM
Focusing purely on our league campaign (the priority) we've had a worse season than last going by our inferior goal difference. Finishing on the same points total is also a disappointment and, yes, an underachievement, as we should have kicked on from last season and presented The Rangers with a serious challenge right up to the end.
This said, the season is far from over and we are probably the team the other play off contenders do not relish meeting, especially if we fire on all cylinders, as the Jambos can testify.
Our disappointing league campaign will be completely dismissed should we achieve promotion and I for one feel that we will do it.

Hibernia&Alba
01-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Same points as last season, though it's a tale of what might have been but for that terrible run of form we had between late February and mid April. We shouldn't have finished third, no excuses; but it wouldn't be Hibs if we made life easy for ourselves. It's going to be exciting in the next few weeks; we just have to hope there's enough left in the tank for the play offs and a cup final.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Looks like season 62/63 when we finished 16th. Behind QoS, Third Lanark and Falkirk!!!

It was although we were in the top league that season as it was an 18 team league back then.

Eyrie
01-05-2016, 06:51 PM

Fairly consistent.

And it was the lack of goals that has cost us this year. One goal in any of our defeats or draws would have put us second on points, another couple in any game would have got second on goal difference.

However we've only two forwards under contract for next season, so there is plenty of room in the squad to bring in players who can finish the chances we create without overly relying on Cummings. I'm discounting Insall and Shaw as it's not fair to expect too much from them.

jgl07
01-05-2016, 07:20 PM
Hibs problem this season has arguably been cup runs. Generally teams with promotion ambition are better off without them.

You can get away with one major cup run but two is a big ask.

To gain promotion Hibs will have to play 55 matches (36L, 1CC, 6LC, 6SC, 6P0).

Falkirk will have played 45 matches (36L, 1CC, 2LC, 2SC, 4PO).

Rangers will have played 48 matches (36L, 5CC, 2LC, 5SC).

Extra matches put pressure on the squad and causes injuries.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Hibs problem this season has arguably been cup runs. Generally teams with promotion ambition are better off without them.

56 matches - we'll have played 7 Scottish Cup matches before the final play off match comes around;

Raith Rovers
Hearts x2
Inverness x2
Dundee Utd
Sevco

Lucius Apuleius
01-05-2016, 07:28 PM
What is our record against the huns compared to Falkirk?

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 08:15 PM
What is our record against the huns compared to Falkirk?

Hibs v Sevco

Played - 5
Won - 2
Drawn - 0
Lost - 3

Falkirk v Sevco

Played - 4
Won - 2
Drawn - 0
Lost - 2

Blaster
01-05-2016, 08:22 PM

I can't understand how people cannot see the fact that the cup runs have affected our league position

I'd take another season in this crap league for a Scottish cup win

It may be our last chance for a while

500miles
01-05-2016, 08:49 PM
If someone said at the start of the season that we had a choicE between just getting 2nd, or coming 3rd, two cup finals and beating Hearts, what would people have chosen?

I think we look like we're learning to cope with the schedule. I'm happy with the progress. Congratulations would be offered to Falkirk if their success hadn't hinged on smearing John McGinn.

Winston Ingram
01-05-2016, 08:56 PM
I can't understand how people cannot see the fact that the cup runs have affected our league position

I'd take another season in this crap league for a Scottish cup win

It may be our last chance for a while

I don't buy that at all.

The cup runs a re a few extra games but it's not as if we're travelling the length and breadth of Europe to play these games. With the exception of the Inverness replay and the hampden trips, they were all in Edinburgh.

Even if we were tired as a result of these extra games, we should be wiping the floor with the ***** in this league

jgl07
02-05-2016, 12:47 AM
I don't buy that at all.

The cup runs a re a few extra games but it's not as if we're travelling the length and breadth of Europe to play these games. With the exception of the Inverness replay and the hampden trips, they were all in Edinburgh.

Even if we were tired as a result of these extra games, we should be wiping the floor with the ***** in this league
Yes the Championship is a crap league but is it any worse the Premiership?

The evidence is that it is not. The Premiership has some seriously rubbish teams including Hamilton, Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock, etc. Are they more attractive opposition than Falkirk, Rangers, Raith Rovers, Morton or even Dunfermline?

Hibs have beaten Aberdeen (2nd), Hearts (3rd), St Johnstone (4th), Inverness (7th), and Dundee United twice (12th). They have lost, rather unfortunately, to Ross County (6th).

Rangers have beaten Kilmarnock (11th), Dundee (8th), and Celtic (1st). They have lost to St Johnstone (4th)

Falkirk have beaten Partick Thistle (9th) but lost to Ross County and Dundee.

Raith Rovers have beaten Hamilton and lost to Celtic.

Morton beat Motherwell and lost to St Johnstone and Celtic.

St Mirren lost to Partick Thistle.

Dumbarton lost to Dundee.

Livingston lost to Inverness.

That adds up to 12 wins out of 22 contests.

Take away the part time clubs and possibly Celtic and there is bugger-all to choose between the standards of the Premiership and the Championship. Even then the likes of Alloa have troubled Hibs and Rangers this season.

Promotion or the Cup? Given me the Cup any time. Apart from anything else it will stick in the craw of the Yams.

Just Jimmy
02-05-2016, 12:56 AM
I want to go up. that said if I only ever see hibs win one more game in their history, I want it to be on May 21st.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Time For Heroes
02-05-2016, 01:01 AM
I want to go up. that said if I only ever see hibs win one more game in their history, I want it to be on May 21st.

100% this

ozhibs
02-05-2016, 02:21 AM

Me too, getting on so for me it is the big one. :-)

Winston Ingram
02-05-2016, 06:23 AM
Yes the Championship is a crap league but is it any worse the Premiership?

The evidence is that it is not. The Premiership has some seriously rubbish teams including Hamilton, Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock, etc. Are they more attractive opposition than Falkirk, Rangers, Raith Rovers, Morton or even Dunfermline?

Hibs have beaten Aberdeen (2nd), Hearts (3rd), St Johnstone (4th), Inverness (7th), and Dundee United twice (12th). They have lost, rather unfortunately, to Ross County (6th).

Rangers have beaten Kilmarnock (11th), Dundee (8th), and Celtic (1st). They have lost to St Johnstone (4th)

Falkirk have beaten Partick Thistle (9th) but lost to Ross County and Dundee.

Raith Rovers have beaten Hamilton and lost to Celtic.

Morton beat Motherwell and lost to St Johnstone and Celtic.

St Mirren lost to Partick Thistle.

Dumbarton lost to Dundee.

Livingston lost to Inverness.

That adds up to 12 wins out of 22 contests.

Take away the part time clubs and possibly Celtic and there is bugger-all to choose between the standards of the Premiership and the Championship. Even then the likes of Alloa have troubled Hibs and Rangers this season.

Promotion or the Cup? Given me the Cup any time. Apart from anything else it will stick in the craw of the Yams.

Of course it's better. Much better.

Take our performances out of that and you've got your answer. Clubs of ours and Sevco's size aren't a realistic measure of the league. Dumbarton, Morton, Alloa, Morton etc are a realistic measure of the quality of the league, all of which have beaten us.