PDA

View Full Version : Red Card

matty_f
01-05-2016, 03:18 PM
I was really surprised to see the ref pull out a red card for the foul on McGinn, but would love to see more refs punish blatantly cynical fouls like that in the same way.

Don't think it was a red as the rules stand though.

FromTheCapital
01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
Player made no intention to win the ball and it was a kick out. The referee has every right to send him off. Likewise, the Dumbarton player should've been sent off on Tuesday for a similar tackle on Henderson. You're not allowed just to punt players in football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
01-05-2016, 03:19 PM
I was really surprised to see the ref pull out a red card for the foul on McGinn, but would love to see more refs punish blatantly cynical fouls like that in the same way.

If that's a red card then why wasn't the assault on Liam Henderson last week one? Full of praise for todays ref for having the guts to send him off for what was a cynical and shocking challenge, but he's been let down by colleagues in similar circumstances.

iwasthere1972
01-05-2016, 03:20 PM

Same here. Thought a yellow would have been a sufficient punishment. Mind you it made up for all the time wasting that went on even as early as the second half.

Famous Fiver
01-05-2016, 03:20 PM
Red every day of the week.

Eyrie
01-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Agree with all three points. It would only have been red if there had been a clear goal scoring opportunity and not even Zidane could have scored from there.

Noticed that a similar challenge on McGinn in a similar position a few minutes later was only a yellow.

lapsedhibee
01-05-2016, 03:21 PM

Wonder if Donkey Doncaster wants Hibs as well as the the huns back in the top league, and word has just filtered down to the refs?

Pretty Boy
01-05-2016, 03:23 PM
My initial reaction was red.

It was cynical, deliberate and was a blatant attempt to kick the man as opposed to play the ball.

I'd happily stand corrected when I see it again but it was good to see a ref actually make a strong decision.

Marco G
01-05-2016, 03:26 PM
Agree with all three points. It would only have been red if there had been a clear goal scoring opportunity and not even Zidane could have scored from there.

Noticed that a similar challenge on McGinn in a similar position a few minutes later was only a yellow. I think the red card was for serious foul play. He kicked the player without making any attempt to play the ball which was yards away from him. Ref was spot on. The yellow card challenge later was for a bad foul but he was making a tackle.

HibsNutter
01-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Wouldn't think most refs would send him off, but he deserved a red. No intent to go for the ball, blatant kick out.

hibee_girl
We thought it was harsh from our viewpoint in the East but was delighted to see the red card being brought out, teams come to Easter Road with the intention of kicking us off the park and usually get away with it.

JimBHibees

Exactly the sort of foul that should be a red. Pity this hasn't happened more often against some of the hammer throwers.

Eyrie
01-05-2016, 03:29 PM
I think the red card was for serious foul play. He kicked the player without making any attempt to play the ball which was yards away from him. Ref was spot on. The yellow card challenge later was for a bad foul but he was making a tackle.

It looked like a cynical trip rather than a violent kick out, and that's usually only yellow so there is an inconsistency here.

However as mattyf said, it should be an automatic red.

JimBHibees
01-05-2016, 03:29 PM

It was cynical, deliberate and was a blatant attempt to kick the man as opposed to play the ball.

I'd happily stand corrected when I see it again but it was good to see a ref actually make a strong decision.

Exactly what it was. Clear red as was the one in the week v Dumbarton.

bingo70
01-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Agreed, too much emphasis these days on things like it being the last man.

That was a cynical foul and the only intention was to kick, and potentially hurt, the opponent. When that is the only intention it should always be a red.

I thought the guy on Henderson during the week should have been a red too.

01-05-2016, 03:32 PM
The incident happened right in front of where I was sitting, looked a definate red.

SunshineOnLeith
01-05-2016, 03:33 PM
Professional foul, red card.

Peevemor
01-05-2016, 03:35 PM
They hardly protested the red card at all - I think that speaks volumes.

paddy1875
01-05-2016, 03:36 PM
I sit back row of the east, nearer the away end and from my view it was a blatant knee high kick out when the ball was not there to be won.

100% straight red. The referee done well to not just class it as a professional foul as most would do nowadays.

Bayern Bru
01-05-2016, 03:38 PM
It was high and it was late, so serious foul play?

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 03:41 PM
Thought right away it was a red, dirty ******* deserved it.

hibby6270
01-05-2016, 03:44 PM

You're right.

You'll recall a yellow card Steven Thompson (St Mirren) got against us earlier this season for a similar cynical foul in the centre circle. Stopped what could have been a good attacking opportunity.

I was in the privileged position (?) of being able to ask the ref about it the next day (I know him well) and he was honest enough to say it was only a yellow because Thompson hadn't endangered the Hibs player. Cynical? - yes - but player was not in danger of being injured directly as a result of the foul.

Today's foul against McGinn was similar, so probably not a red card by the letter of the law. It stopped a great opportunity that could have led to goal but McGinn wasn't "in danger" of getting hurt.

Still, today's red card did influence the game in our favour and I'll take that any day of the week.:agree:

jgl07
01-05-2016, 03:45 PM
It wasn't just that was cynical denying a clear goal threat, but the violence of the challenge.

I thought it was a red all along looking from the upper tier of the FF.

JimBHibees
01-05-2016, 03:45 PM
You're right.

You'll recall a yellow card Steven Thompson (St Mirren) got against us earlier this season for a similar cynical foul in the centre circle. Stopped what could have been a good attacking opportunity.

I was in the privileged position (?) of being able to ask the ref about it the next day (I know him well) and he was honest enough to say it was only a yellow because Thompson hadn't endangered the Hibs player. Cynical? - yes - but player was not in danger of being injured directly as a result of the foul.

Today's foul against McGinn was similar, so probably not a red card by the letter of the law. It stopped a great opportunity that could have led to goal but McGinn wasn't "in danger" of getting hurt.

Still, today's red card did influence the game in our favour and I'll take that any day of the week.:agree:

The player blatantly kicked him with the ball yards away of course he was in danger of being injured.

hibby6270
01-05-2016, 03:58 PM
The player blatantly kicked him with the ball yards away of course he was in danger of being injured.

Don't get me wrong. I don't disagree with you.
I was trying to point out that a yellow could have been the decision today for the reasons outlined. I was as much surprised as a lot of us the ref produced a red today.
Unfortunately it shows up the inconsistency of ref's decisions that get us all so riled at times.
The original point made was "didn't think it was a red card today" Could have gone either way is what I was trying to point out.

adhibs
01-05-2016, 04:07 PM
clear red for me, was a kick disguised as a tackle.

Enough said
01-05-2016, 04:58 PM
i was really surprised to see the ref pull out a red card for the foul on mcginn, but would love to see more refs punish blatantly cynical fouls like that in the same way.

Don't think it was a red as the rules stand though. this

matty_f
01-05-2016, 05:00 PM

That was a cynical foul and the only intention was to kick, and potentially hurt, the opponent. When that is the only intention it should always be a red.

Totally agree re Henderson as well. I was screaming for a red card at the time.

bingo70
01-05-2016, 05:17 PM
Totally agree re Henderson as well. I was screaming for a red card at the time.

Only one similar to this I can remember was a hearts game at Celtic park. I can't remember if it was a hearts or Celtic player but the foul was so cynical to stop a breakaway it was ridiculous. The general consensus in the media and the studio at the time was a definite red which surprised me for the reasons stated in this thread.

Anyway, enough of those ****s, definate red for me.

greenlex
01-05-2016, 06:14 PM

Definite red Matty. He could have stopped McGinn without the force he used. Right in front of me. High and dangerous. Could have really hurt him.

greenlex
01-05-2016, 06:18 PM
You're right.

High Dangerous and forceful. I dont know what he would have had to do in your eyes to put McGinn in danger of being seriously hurt. Cynical yes. That is just a booking but that was so much more than that. He could have stopped him without the force he used. Ref was spot on.

O'Rourke3
01-05-2016, 06:20 PM
At the time I was hoping(finally) for a red but expecting a yellow. Missed the game Tuesday so haven't seen the Henderson tackle but the blatant non attempt two weeks back by the Falkirk CH on Stokes for me deserved a red. The sooner we clamp down on players taking a yellow "for the team" the better.

Carheenlea
01-05-2016, 08:38 PM
The referee didn't rush to pull out the red card - took a moment to think about it before opting for red.

Mr White
01-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Only one similar to this I can remember was a hearts game at Celtic park. I can't remember if it was a hearts or Celtic player but the foul was so cynical to stop a breakaway it was ridiculous. The general consensus in the media and the studio at the time was a definite red which surprised me for the reasons stated in this thread.

Anyway, enough of those ****s, definate red for me.

Stephen mcmanus on some hearts **** iirc

Jack
01-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Not only was it a red card [for serious foul play] he should have been arrested for assault when he got off the pitch!

JohnM1875
01-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I honestly can't believe some folk think it wasn't a red? It was nothing short of assault and I had a great view from the east. Horrible "tackle".

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2016, 08:48 PM
Professional foul, red card.

No such thing in the rule book.

neil7908
01-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Would like to see it again but my first thought was that if it'd been one of our players I would have been raging

Callum_62
01-05-2016, 09:17 PM
the ball was about 5 yards infront of mcginn when the guy took him out

I think the dumbarton foul was worse during the week right enough

usually these would be a yellow - but to be honest i wish they were reds every time

Todays one was pretty much an off the ball incident!

stanton_4
01-05-2016, 09:19 PM
I have always believed that a deliberate scythe down of a player merits a red card no matter whether it's a goal scoring opportunity or not so I was pleased the ref gave him his marching orders. I find it ridiculous that these particular type of tackles have been given the title "professional fouls" when they are quite clearly the least professional act imaginable. Good on the ref in my book.

Ken
01-05-2016, 09:38 PM
I was right behind it in the West and I'd say it was a definite red. McGinn was well passed him and he had to jump into the back of him to stop him. Professional foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnM1875
01-05-2016, 10:28 PM
Just saw it again on Sportscene. It could only have been a red. Atrocious tackle.

matty_f
01-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Just saw it again on Sportscene. It could only have been a red. Atrocious tackle.

Looked much more like a red seeing it again than it did live. :agree:

oldbutdim
01-05-2016, 10:57 PM
A clear red.

The foul on Henderson last week should have been too, but the referee got it spot on today.

monktonharp
01-05-2016, 11:11 PM

Noticed that a similar challenge on McGinn in a similar position a few minutes later was only a yellow.was happy to see a red, for that challenge. brutal and cynical as it was it could have seriously injured our player of that there is no doubt. surprisingly only 2 minutes later Mc Ginn was challenged again in almost the same position, and the player looked like he actually had his hands round our man;s throat! and kept fouling him until Mc Ginn went down. surprised that he was not also sent off!

O'Rourke3
02-05-2016, 07:52 AM
was happy to see a red, for that challenge. brutal and cynical as it was it could have seriously injured our player of that there is no doubt. surprisingly only 2 minutes later Mc Ginn was challenged again in almost the same position, and the player looked like he actually had his hands round our man;s throat! and kept fouling him until Mc Ginn went down. surprised that he was not also sent off!
Better view from West Upper. He held on to his hand and kept pulling him. No assault this time but another frustrating "One for the team"

dangermouse
02-05-2016, 10:00 AM

Correct, there is no "last man" rule in football.

Eyrie
02-05-2016, 10:14 AM
was happy to see a red, for that challenge. brutal and cynical as it was it could have seriously injured our player of that there is no doubt. surprisingly only 2 minutes later Mc Ginn was challenged again in almost the same position, and the player looked like he actually had his hands round our man;s throat! and kept fouling him until Mc Ginn went down. surprised that he was not also sent off!

The two incidents yesterday just show how inconsistent the referees are, particularly when combined with Henderson being wiped out in the Dumbarton match. I had a better view of that one because it was in front of the East.

I'd agree that such challenges should always be red as there is no possibility of getting the ball regardless of whether there is any intent to injure. However, and this isn't aimed at you, I wonder how many people on here claiming it was a stonewall red would have said the same if it had been a Hibs player guilty of the foul?

oldbutdim
02-05-2016, 10:41 AM
I wonder how many people on here claiming it was a stonewall red would have said the same if it had been a Hibs player guilty of the foul?

It would have definitely been a red card, and the player would have been fined if not kicked out the club altogether.
I can't see Stubbs accepting team-mates brawling on the park.

jgl07
02-05-2016, 11:21 AM
It didn't look half as bad on the TV highlights as it did live from the FF Upper.

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-05-2016, 03:21 PM
Was shouting for a red at the time and was happy to see the ref have the minerals to produce it. Disgusting, clear attempt to boot who they would have decided before the game was our 'danger man'. Zero attempt to win the ball and the sort of kick that could cause a serious knee injury to a player.

Monts
02-05-2016, 03:27 PM
Any replays of the incident? Both BBC and sky only seem to have the goals.

hibbysam
02-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Any replays of the incident? Both BBC and sky only seem to have the goals.

Was shown on sportscene which I watched on the Iplayer... Strange that the BBC have decided just to put highlights of the goals up online rather than full match highlights

Eyrie
02-05-2016, 04:20 PM
It would have definitely been a red card, and the player would have been fined if not kicked out the club altogether.
I can't see Stubbs accepting team-mates brawling on the park.

:greengrin

I'm sure that could never happen (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12733170.Levein_and_Hogg_see_red/) in Scottish football.

Monts
02-05-2016, 05:02 PM
:greengrin

I'm sure that could never happen (http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12733170.Levein_and_Hogg_see_red/) in Scottish football.

:faf:

ancient hibee
02-05-2016, 06:20 PM
:top marksTo the ref.I'm fed up of seeing a player yellow carded when he tries to make a tackle given the same punishment as a player who (like yesterday)doesn't even pretend to go for the ball.Long overdue punishment.