PDA

View Full Version : A different side with some key players back.

matty_f
01-05-2016, 03:07 PM
This isn't a post putting our position down to injuries, but an observation of the difference in performance with Hanlon back fully fit, Fyvie back fully fit, and today with McGeouch and Fontaine back I contention.

We have a chance of a great finish to the season if these guys stay fit.

green day
01-05-2016, 03:39 PM
This isn't a post putting our position down to injuries, but an observation of the difference in performance with Hanlon back fully fit, Fyvie back fully fit, and today with McGeouch and Fontaine back I contention.

:top marks

Agreed, and I hope (and think) that the team think the same.

I suspect they know that losing the two goals to Falkirk was a big mistake, and that was pretty much that for 2nd place.

Everything Stubbs has said since then, including post match today, suggests we were already planning for the extra playoff games v Raith.

The difference McGeoch makes is fantastic - drive, energy determination.

Some of our fans seem to think we are doomed because we are third - I really hope the players just crack on and get the results they deserve.

matty_f
01-05-2016, 05:07 PM

I suspect they know that losing the two goals to Falkirk was a big mistake, and that was pretty much that for 2nd place.

Everything Stubbs has said since then, including post match today, suggests we were already planning for the extra playoff games v Raith.

Some of our fans seem to think we are doomed because we are third - I really hope the players just crack on and get the results they deserve.

When we have everyone fit and available there are only a couple of teams that can handle us. Our bad run came when we were without (at times) Hanlon, Fyvie, McGeoch, and Fontaine. Having them fit us a huge bonus.

hibee1875
01-05-2016, 05:12 PM
We'll get promoted and win the cup. Of that I have no doubt. Fyvie, Stokes and Hanlon have been outstanding since hitting peak fitness. There's your core and I've no doubt Cummings, Henderson, McGinn, McGeoch and Bartley will also have a massive part to play.

We have an embarrassment of riches in terms of player quality here. I have every faith we'll do jt

edwards
01-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Thought we got off to a sluggish start but when we got the first goal we always looked like we were in control. Having our key players back is a bonus and Carmichael back will give us that width we need. still think we have a good chance of promotion and a good chance of winning the cup.
Logan in goals gives us that little edge as well he looks determined and keen not to lose a goal.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 05:31 PM
Having Dylan McGeouch back fit is a massive bonus for us.

Just hope he stays fit now.

Gmack7
01-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Big Marv has been superb in recent weeks,so assuming we go with the diamond does he get back in? Dylan,McGinn,Henderson are in if fit,but Fyvie has been great since returning,this would also put Boyle out the !st 11,big decisions coming up for Stubbs

Hibby Bairn
01-05-2016, 05:57 PM
I hope so lads and lassies but 7 games in 20 days would suggest it will be a difficult ask. 5 games in 13 days before the cup final assuming we beat Raith and Falkirk.

greenlex
01-05-2016, 05:58 PM
I like Gunnarson. I like him a lot. I think the lad is quality. Nothing ever rushed or hurried. I dont think he has ever put a foot wrong any time he has the had the Jersey on. Class act. To think I questioned him as a signing after his debut in Kircaldy.:rolleyes:

Smartie
01-05-2016, 07:03 PM
I like Gunnarson. I like him a lot. I think the lad is quality. Nothing ever rushed or hurried. I dont think he has ever put a foot wrong any time he has the had the Jersey on. Class act. To think I questioned him as a signing after his debut in Kircaldy.:rolleyes:

I like him but wonder about his positioning at times. I don't know whether it is his natural game or whether it was under orders as we had to go for goals in the last 2 games but he's unbelievably gung-ho. I remember Nevin pointing out on the Tynecastle highlights how far up the park he played but I've really noticed it in the last 2 times. TBH there have been times when he'd been too far forward in a crowded area (further on than Boyle on a number of occasions) when he might have offered a better option from a bit deeper (and left space for other players further forward). I do like him though.

I also think that getting Stokes close to full match fitness has had a big effect. I don't think that at any point he's really let us down but throwing him into a team already missing Fyvie and McGeouch when he was still a bit rusty didn't help him settle into the team.

I look at the team and see it coming together at the right time.

northstandhibby
01-05-2016, 07:21 PM
When all the key players are on their game we have a good chance of beating any other team in Scotland. Can we do it? Get promoted and win the cup? Certainly yes if all the key players stay fit and play to their potential. Here's hoping.

West lower
01-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Having Dylan McGeouch back fit is a massive bonus for us.

Just hope he stays fit now.

I think that McGinn is a far better player with Mcgeouch in beside him. He has far more freedom to get forward.

Tha Cabbage Kid
01-05-2016, 07:43 PM
I personally feel, if we were out of both cup competitions early we would have won this league. The reason we have ended up in third position is due to this. Without any bad luck we will be in the premiership next season with possibly a cup in hand

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

rcarter1
01-05-2016, 08:14 PM
Thought we got off to a sluggish start but when we got the first goal we always looked like we were in control. Having our key players back is a bonus and Carmichael back will give us that width we need. still think we have a good chance of promotion and a good chance of winning the cup.
Logan in goals gives us that little edge as well he looks determined and keen not to lose a goal.

The benefit of having a squad player with the motivation to keep the jersey! All good, we are going to need that determination from every player from here on in. On our game we can beat all that stands in our way, including Rangers. Bring it on!

Carheenlea
01-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Fontaine didn't have his greatest game today, but a fit Fontaine will be a big asset in the play offs.

Lancs Harp
01-05-2016, 08:38 PM
I think that McGinn is a far better player with Mcgeouch in beside him. He has far more freedom to get forward.

Agree.

There is a case to be made that McGinn is just plain knackered but his dip in form also corresponds with McGeouch not being in the team. The two play off each other and link up really well together.

mjhibby
01-05-2016, 08:44 PM

Mcgeoch has been the biggest miss. Always looking to go forward and his wee cameo saw only one misplaced pass. Hanlon looked back to his best and Keatings looked hungry. Stubbs definitely picked today's team with Wednesday in mind fully expecting Falkirk to beat Morton. With mcgregor,Cummings,Bartley and gray getting a rest today and Henderson.oxley etc getting a rest v Dumbarton Stubbs has quietly rotated the squad to rest players. I'm sure he will keep doing it as hopefully we go through the play offs. The likes of Logan,gunnarson,Hanlon,Bartley,Fontaine,mcgeoch and keatings should not be fatigued given they haven't played that much recently so it's the likes of Henderson,McGinn,gray and Cummings Stubbs needs to watch for signs of fatigue. Feeling confident at the moment and if we get through to the play off final it will be some final week of the season.

belhavenbill
01-05-2016, 09:35 PM
And the one guy who just keeps going like the Duracel bunny is Lewis. I'm not his greatest fan but he has some engine on him. Another 15 games wouldn't bother him.

hibee_girl
01-05-2016, 09:43 PM
And the one guy who just keeps going like the Duracel bunny is Lewis. I'm not his greatest fan but he has some engine on him. Another 15 games wouldn't bother him.

Was saying the same to my grandad today, he's the one player who hasn't been rested at any point but doesn't look like he needs it.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 10:53 PM
Was saying the same to my grandad today, he's the one player who hasn't been rested at any point but doesn't look like he needs it.He was rested at home to Alloa :greengrin

You are right though, he is never tiring.

hibee_girl
01-05-2016, 11:01 PM
He was rested at home to Alloa :greengrin

You are right though, he is never tiring.

He wasn't rested, he was suspended :greengrin

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 11:45 PM
He wasn't rested, he was suspended :greengrinSame thing, he had a day aff :greengrin

HibbyAndy
02-05-2016, 06:52 AM
Was saying the same to my grandad today, he's the one player who hasn't been rested at any point but doesn't look like he needs it.

He's got to be the fittest player at the club.

Doesn't look like he needs a rest he just goes on and on.