PDA

View Full Version : Why was Hanlon captain?

3pm
01-05-2016, 02:28 PM
I am not fussed who it was but I always thought Fontaine was VC?!

Just curious!

J-C
01-05-2016, 02:52 PM
I am not fussed who it was but I always thought Fontaine was VC?!

Just curious!

Pretty sure Hanlon is our vice captain.

madhatter
01-05-2016, 02:58 PM
Hanlon was easily man of the match today. Hanlon should be our vice-captain if not our captain. The impact of Hanlon being out was evident to all.

3pm
01-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Pretty sure Hanlon is our vice captain.

Fontaine is. Or might be 'was' now.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 03:02 PM
Hanlon struggled previously when captain under calderwood, happy for him to leave it to others if it helps us win.

Super_JMcGinn
01-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Hanlon was easily man of the match today. Hanlon should be our vice-captain if not our captain. The impact of Hanlon being out was evident to all.
Dearie me, not another one. It was as one sided a game as you are likely to see, tell me what Hanlon did to be motm. I also think he should be nowhere near the captaincy as he hasn't got the right temperament, what we needed today was a Yogi type character who would scream at and encourage the players forward.

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2016, 04:36 PM
hanlon was easily man of the match today. Hanlon should be our vice-captain if not our captain. The impact of hanlon being out was evident to all.

lol

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 04:38 PM
Dearie me, not another one. It was as one sided a game as you are likely to see, tell me what Hanlon did to be motm. I also think he should be nowhere near the captaincy as he hasn't got the right temperament, what we needed today was a Yogi type character who would scream at and encourage the players forward.''Not another one'', mate you know pretty much everybody on this site rates Hanlon as a quality player apart from you?

bookert
01-05-2016, 04:42 PM
Dearie me, not another one. It was as one sided a game as you are likely to see, tell me what Hanlon did to be motm. I also think he should be nowhere near the captaincy as he hasn't got the right temperament, what we needed today was a Yogi type character who would scream at and encourage the players forward.
Please leave it, Hanlon was by a fair bit our best player, not only defensively but also distribution. Did he kick your dog or something, unbelievable.

Super_JMcGinn
01-05-2016, 04:44 PM
''Not another one'', mate you know pretty much everybody on this site rates Hanlon as a quality player apart from you?
It's the same half dozen or so who are relentless in his praise. If he was as good as they all think he is we wouldn't be in the position we're in, and he wouldn't be with us full stop.

Steve20
01-05-2016, 05:04 PM
It's the same half dozen or so who are relentless in his praise. If he was as good as they all think he is we wouldn't be in the position we're in, and he wouldn't be with us full stop.

He's been our second best player behind McGinn this season. In fact, I'd say some of his performances this season have been excellent.

McD
01-05-2016, 05:45 PM

As it is the same few who are relentless in his criticism

Craigmount Hibs
01-05-2016, 06:33 PM

You're a complete plum. Seriously, do one. Away and "support" another team.

cabbageandribs1875
01-05-2016, 06:34 PM
dearie me

J-C

Did he one give you a doze and then dump you?

Your continual berating of him is just bizarre, almost like a stalker but in reverse.

I thought he bossed it today. :thumbsup:

matty_f

You're just trolling with the Hanlon chat. We get it, you don't rate him.

Jonnyboy
01-05-2016, 06:35 PM

I was chatting to Pat Stanton before the game today and he said that he thinks Paul Hanlon is the best player at ER just now. But hey, what would he know eh?

greenlex
01-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Gail pet. How dare someone praise Hanlon. Deary Me.

FranckSuzy
01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
Did he one give you a doze and then dump you?

Your continual berating of him is just bizarre, almost like a stalker but in reverse.

I thought he bossed it today. :thumbsup:

:lips seal

Super_JMcGinn
01-05-2016, 06:49 PM
You're just trolling with the Hanlon chat. We get it, you don't rate him.
Ii'm not trolling at all Matty, and I resent that coming from an admin. You're right, I don't rate him, and I think I am more than justified in saying so.

Oxley takes a hell of abuse from regularly posters on here, as do some of the other players. I happen to think Hanlon escapes criticism when he has been at the heart of some woeful individual and team performances for years. I repeat. if he was as good as you lot make him out to be he wouldn't be plying his trade in The Scottish Championship, and he would certainly have part time strikers in his back pocket instead of the other way around.

SON OF PADDY
01-05-2016, 06:51 PM
I personally think PH has been a stand out " please stay " don't go to the sheep !!!

greenlex
01-05-2016, 06:53 PM
Ii'm not trolling at all Matty, and I resent that coming from an admin. You're right, I don't rate him, and I think I am more than justified in saying so.

Oxley takes a hell of abuse from regularly posters on here, as do some of the other players. I happen to think Hanlon escapes criticism when he has been at the heart of some woeful individual and team performances for years. I repeat. if he was as good as you lot make him out to be he wouldn't be plying his trade in The Scottish Championship, and he would certainly have part time strikers in his back pocket instead of the other way around.
Today he was neither woeful either individually or team wise today but you still weighed in. Give it a rest. If thats not trolling I dont know what is. As Matty says we get it. We dont need it every time someone has the temerity to say he played really or even relatively well. Critisim of you well deserved IMO so suck it up Princess.

matty_f
01-05-2016, 06:54 PM

We all know your opinion. How and when it's offered can easily be construed as trolling.

J-C
01-05-2016, 06:55 PM
:lips seal

Sorry Suzy, :embarrass sometimes I can't help myself but the question is relevant considering the vile hatred she has towards Hanlon.

hibbysam
01-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Now tell us which part time strikers have had Paul Hanlon in their back pockets? Your normal argument is he's not that good as he's playing against poor players, I'll give you Adam Rooney(full time) Dauda(full time) Martyn Waghorn(full time), not one of these players have had a sniff against Paul Hanlon this season, I'll add Billy McKay to that list for the league cup tie, although he did get one chance in the cup final, but hardly 'in the back pocket' stuff!

BoomtownHibees
01-05-2016, 06:59 PM

What, like John McGinn or Dylan Mcgeouch? Are they crap as well since they are playing in the Championship?

Super_JMcGinn
01-05-2016, 07:00 PM
Today he was neither woeful either individually or team wise today but you still weighed in. Give it a rest. If thats not trolling I dont know what is. As Matty says we get it. We dont need it every time someone has the temerity to say he played really or even relatively well. Critisim of you well deserved IMO so suck it up Princess.
I never said he was woeful today, and I didn't weigh in as you call it, Ii asked what did he do to make him possibly think he was motm. Read my post again sunshine. Anyway I'm out, I can see you big boys get really upset at my posts on your beloved Paul. Let's hope he lives up to the hype and leads us to cup glory and promotion.

Mr White
01-05-2016, 07:04 PM
I didn't weigh in.

:hilarious

Scouse Hibee
01-05-2016, 08:53 PM

You are absolutely clueless as to Hanlon's abilities.Just come out and admit you don't like him and stop posting this relentless pish about him,it's tiresome.

KWJ
01-05-2016, 08:57 PM

The 'he wouldn't be with us' comments you constantly come out with are ridiculous. That's saying we wouldn't be able to get any quality player. Besides, I fear that Paul won't be with us next season if we don't go up.

Weren't we in touching distance of Rangers when he got injured this year and weren't we mid-table when he got injured in our relegation year?

KWJ
01-05-2016, 08:58 PM
Oh and regarding MotM I can't think of anyone who played better than him. Stevenson would be up there but I don't think any of our forward players did enough with the opportunities that they had.

stanton_4
01-05-2016, 09:28 PM
Hanlon was excellent today. He read the game well, didn't lose one challenge and distributed the ball well. Really can't understand why anyone would criticise him on today's performance. He was a stand out for me amongst a team who looked tired and slow. I would have handed him MOTM. It's all about opinions though eh.

Viva_Palmeiras
01-05-2016, 09:53 PM
If he was as good as they all think he is we wouldn't be in the position we're in, and he wouldn't be with us full stop.

The saddest repeated quote I've read on this forum - "we don't deserve decent players ever as the good ones wouldn't touch us with a barge pole if they've any ambition" do we really underrate/hate ourselves that much?

Couldn't it be that we find a Wee gem that falls in love with the Hibs as we have done - Sauzee ("it was the money stupid"'?) or giving players a chance and they repay us - Cummings?

Or even a Hibee who can just play a bit - Griffiths ("but he wasn't ours!"/ Thomson (first time)

So the flip side is they were only destined to see mediocrity - the golden generation was an aberration.

I'd like to know where you find your happiness or inner peace as it's unlikely to be at Easter Road.

NadeAteMyLunch!
02-05-2016, 07:30 AM
I'd have Hanlon as our captain all the time tbh. He was too young when he was given it first time around but I think he's now better captain material than Gray or Fontaine. Saying that, I do think we miss a real leader in our squad, a Yogi or Sauzee type of character.
Finally, folk that can't see Hanlon's qualities must sit with their eyes shut during games [emoji849]

Brightside
02-05-2016, 09:28 AM
He 100% has the qualities to captain a team. I know Gail doesn't actually watch the games but if he did she/he would notice Hanlon constantly talking his defence through the game , you'd also hear him pushing the midfield forward when they come too deep. He's the best defender we have had in my life time. There are still a few who want Rob Jones type defenders who just lump it forward or out. Thankfully the game has moved on.

3pm
02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Does anybody actually know the answer to the question I asked?

Brightside
02-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Does anybody actually know the answer to the question I asked?

Paul is vice captain.

oneone73
02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
He 100% has the qualities to captain a team. I know Gail doesn't actually watch the games but if he did she/he would notice Hanlon constantly talking his defence through the game , you'd also hear him pushing the midfield forward when they come too deep. He's the best defender we have had in my life time. There are still a few who want Rob Jones type defenders who just lump it forward or out. Thankfully the game has moved on.

Agree. He deserves to be the one to lift the Scottish Cup, though I'd guess Gray will be back by then.

TheFamous1875
02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
I'd have Hanlon as our captain all the time tbh. He was too young when he was given it first time around but I think he's now better captain material than Gray or Fontaine. Saying that, I do think we miss a real leader in our squad, a Yogi or Sauzee type of character.
Finally, folk that can't see Hanlon's qualities must sit with their eyes shut during games [emoji849]

Gotta say I think we have a few leaders types in the squad already, namely: Bartley, Thomson, Stokes, Fyvie. I would class all of those as more appropriate captains than Gray and Fontaine, IMO.

Also think McGinn, McGeouch and Henderson may well blossom into leaders too.

MagicSwirlingShip
02-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Agree. He deserves to be the one to lift the Scottish Cup, though I'd guess Gray will be back by then.

Hanlon and Gray to lift it together, Brown & Jones style 🏆👌🏻

Super_JMcGinn
03-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Hanlon only ever talks to the defence when he himself has made a blunder, of which he makes many, and often. I refer you back to his shambolic defending against Utd recentl, to name but one.

Pushes the midfield forward? did he do that in the final minutes against Falkirk recently? did he heckers like, he was like the invisible man once more.

Best defender in your lifetime? that is just too funny, and to have a go at Rob Jones? a Hibernian legend who was sung about by the fans? I can tell you one thing hapless Hanlon won't ever have a song sung about him, though I do believe the away support might sing about him from time to time.

According to you after the Morton game at ER Hanlon would be back and sort out the defence, well Mr underpants you forgot to tell messrs Nade and co the following game because we all know what happened there don't we. And he was at the heart of the defence in defeats against Raith QOS Alloa

I seemed to notice there were no posts on Hanlon's composed defending against part time players then.

He has been at ER for what 8 years now? and look where we are, think about it Mr Hanlon. And then think where we were when big Rob was our captain, and the kind of football we played back then, and you say the game has moved on? dearie ****** me. What a pity we haven't moved on with it then huh.

easty
03-05-2016, 07:02 AM
Hanlon only ever talks to the defence when he himself has made a blunder, of which he makes many, and often. I refer you back to his shambolic defending against Utd recentl, to name but one.

Pushes the midfield forward? did he do that in the final minutes against Falkirk recently? did he heckers like, he was like the invisible man once more.

Best defender in your lifetime? that is just too funny, and to have a go at Rob Jones? a Hibernian legend who was sung about by the fans? I can tell you one thing hapless Hanlon won't ever have a song sung about him, though I do believe the away support might sing about him from time to time.

According to you after the Morton game at ER Hanlon would be back and sort out the defence, well Mr underpants you forgot to tell messrs Nade and co the following game because we all know what happened there don't we. And he was at the heart of the defence in defeats against Raith QOS Alloa

I seemed to notice there were no posts on Hanlon's composed defending against part time players then.

He has been at ER for what 8 years now? and look where we are, think about it Mr Hanlon. And then think where we were when big Rob was our captain, and the kind of football we played back then, and you say the game has moved on? dearie ****** me. What a pity we haven't moved on with it then huh.

So many Deary Me's required for just one post/rambling nonsense.

Scouse Hibee
03-05-2016, 07:10 AM

Consistent garbage from you.

Hiber-nation
03-05-2016, 07:11 AM

If you're not trolling then it's quite sad for someone who posts on a football forum to know so little about football.

Blaster
03-05-2016, 07:36 AM

As well as your post being utter nonsense I am not sure the name calling is needed

scoopyboy
03-05-2016, 07:49 AM

If you are gonna slaver a load of rubbish at least get your facts right.

Paul wasn't even on the pitch at either Palmerston or Starks Park.

Still be his fault though eh.

bigwheel
03-05-2016, 07:53 AM
Does anyone else think Paul Hanlon nicked "Gail's" bird ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig_HFC
03-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Mind when Gail wanted a couple of tickets for the Cup final to take her Hun pals?

FranckSuzy
03-05-2016, 08:10 AM

:faf:

hfcnic
03-05-2016, 08:35 AM

I genuinely don't think you have ever saw Paul Hanlon play football, this has got to be a wind up, surley?

I don't think he is our best player by far however he is deffo a good player and 9 times out of 10 has a good game!

JimBHibees
03-05-2016, 09:56 AM

:not worth :faf::faf:

Monts
03-05-2016, 10:12 AM

I usually try and let things go when peoples opinions don't stack up with mine, but this is something else. You don't talk about Hanlon like a hibs fan that is frustrated with a poor player. You speak like someone who has a bone to pick and no sense of reason will make you see otherwise.

Dearie me indeed.

flash
03-05-2016, 10:12 AM
Still think he is prone to the odd lapse but PH is without a doubt our best central defender right now.

bookert
03-05-2016, 11:19 AM

This is truly obsessional behaviour.

LustForLeith
03-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Still think he is prone to the odd lapse but PH is without a doubt our best central defender right now.

Agree. Against Dundee United in the semi there was a couple of heart in mouth moments caused by Hanlon but IMHO he's the most improved player at Easter Road over the past couple of seasons. And he's a massive Hibs fan too.

Also, if it wasn't for his late goal against Hearts then it's unlikely we'd be playing rangers in the Scottish Cup final this month

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2016, 05:50 PM

:tee hee:

emerald green
03-05-2016, 05:59 PM

You post this pile of s**** and have the cheek to have a go at me on the (now deleted) Dundee Derby thread for having a wee dig at folk from Dundee.:hmmm: Another post of yours with the "dearie me" patter too I note.

Smartie
03-05-2016, 06:20 PM
I reckon Paul Hanlon must have pumped Gail's bird, spilt his pint AND broken into his house on Christmas day and pissed on his kids opening their presents. It sure as heck can't be due to anything he's ever done in a Hibs shirt.

I understand that some players are a bit marmite - Malonga wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I never took to Gary Caldwell at all in spite of him being a popular player with good credentials. But I simply cannot understand where this opinion of Paul Hanlon can come from, I really can't.

J-C
03-05-2016, 06:53 PM
I reckon Paul Hanlon must have pumped Gail's bird, spilt his pint AND broken into his house on Christmas day and pissed on his kids opening their presents. It sure as heck can't be due to anything he's ever done in a Hibs shirt.

I understand that some players are a bit marmite - Malonga wasn't everyone's cup of tea, I never took to Gary Caldwell at all in spite of him being a popular player with good credentials. But I simply cannot understand where this opinion of Paul Hanlon can come from, I really can't.

Do you not think Gail is in fact a woman and may not have a bird as you put it, I thought the username was a bit of a give away :)

Smartie
03-05-2016, 06:56 PM
Do you not think Gail is in fact a woman and may not have a bird as you put it, I thought the username was a bit of a give away :)

No.

I've met some truly vindictive women in my life but none as vengeful as Gail seems to be on the subject of Paul Hanlon.

Actually, now you mention it, "hell hath no fury like………."

blackpoolhibs
03-05-2016, 07:31 PM
I was not Hanlons biggest fan for quite a while, but he has improved. He's not as good as some make out, but he's the first name on the sheet these days.

He is prone to making the odd howler, but he's normally solid and decent on the ball now.

And he seems to me to have bulked up a bit and not muscled off the ball anywhere near as easily as he was.

I hope he signs a new contract.

SJM
03-05-2016, 07:37 PM
McGregor is our best defender.