PDA

View Full Version : McGinn talks about Cummings

neil7908
01-05-2016, 10:02 AM
Quite interesting comments by John McGinn on Jason in the Scotsman:

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hibernian/jason-cummings-is-brilliant-boy-says-hibs-pal-john-mcginn-1-4115519

Fergus52
01-05-2016, 01:33 PM
"The gaffer has told us we need to be more patient and the goals will come."

A quote from the article about the Dumbarton game.

Even when we were needing more goals to make up the difference on Falkirk, Stubbs was still telling them to play a slow tempo with patient build up:brickwall

1van Sprou7e
01-05-2016, 01:43 PM
Since when is he 22 years old?

Thecat23
01-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Even when we were needing more goals to make up the difference on Falkirk, Stubbs was still telling them to play a slow tempo with patient build up:brickwall

Stubbs never told the players to play at a slow tempo at all.

Fergus52
01-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Stubbs never told the players to play at a slow tempo at all.

"we were too keen on getting the goal difference down after we went 2-0 up, as opposed to focusing on the performance. The gaffer has told us we need to be more patient and the goals will come."

I might be misreading it but that implies to me that he did.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 02:49 PM

What evidence is there that a quick impatient build up would have seen us score more?

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-05-2016, 02:53 PM
Think the Hearts and The Rangers show that playing with a high tempo and getting the game over and done with as soon as possible is evidence enough of how to play and win this league.

MWHIBBIES
01-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Think the Hearts and The Rangers show that playing with a high tempo and getting the game over and done with as soon as possible is evidence enough of how to play and win this league.
Rangers dont play with quick tempo though, they are slower and more ponderous than us.

Alfred E Newman
01-05-2016, 03:09 PM
I thought this thread was about McGinns comments about Cummings.
I read the article and it makes a mockery of the ridiculous stuff posted on here by some posters.
Like they say, you never miss what you have until it's gone.

Centre Hawf
01-05-2016, 03:12 PM
"we were too keen on getting the goal difference down after we went 2-0 up, as opposed to focusing on the performance. The gaffer has told us we need to be more patient and the goals will come."

It says to me that we shouldn't panic and rush things. He's already came out and said our decision making at times has been poor and rushing around at a million miles an hour wouldn't have helped that improve. If you focus on your performance the goals will come, evident by the fact we scored 4 that night. That night or tonight didn't cost us 2nd place this season. It was the 0-0's, the losses to Alloa, Morton, and two to Dumbarton. These are the results that cost us. Not being patient or slow.

Hibbyradge
01-05-2016, 03:23 PM

He's saying that if they had been more patient, they would have scored more goals.

The_Horde
01-05-2016, 09:49 PM
He's saying that if they had been more patient, they would have scored more goals.

Correct. Tempo has to be good that's a no brainer. But too often we force it. Hence the patience comment.

oldbutdim
01-05-2016, 11:30 PM
I thought this thread was about McGinns comments about Cummings.
I read the article and it makes a mockery of the ridiculous stuff posted on here by some posters.
Like they say, you never miss what you have until it's gone.

I can see why they would say that.
:aok:

You never know what you have until it's gone has a better ring to it though.

:greengrin

Cabbage Lad
02-05-2016, 07:07 AM
Cummings is the glue that keeps the team together. I was lucky enough to be at the Player of the Year awards and Jason was at our table. Really great guy, funny, a bit mental but very genuine and down to earth. Every player who won an award mentioned him. The banter was flying and loads of the players were always coming over to speak to Cummings. He is a massive player for us and when he does move on it will be a massive loss to us. The camaraderie between the players is excellent and a lot of that is down to Jason. He also said he's desperate to win silverware and get us promoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MagicSwirlingShip
02-05-2016, 01:00 PM

He's implying that by trying to force it we make more mistakes and give the ball away. Keeping possession and waiting for the right opening doesn't mean play at a slow tempo at all. You can move the ball quickly and still be patient with picking the right pass.

Smartie
02-05-2016, 01:04 PM
Cummings is the glue that keeps the team together. I was lucky enough to be at the Player of the Year awards and Jason was at our table. Really great guy, funny, a bit mental but very genuine and down to earth. Every player who won an award mentioned him. The banter was flying and loads of the players were always coming over to speak to Cummings. He is a massive player for us and when he does move on it will be a massive loss to us. The camaraderie between the players is excellent and a lot of that is down to Jason. He also said he's desperate to win silverware and get us promoted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been crying out for a player of his personality and character for years.

We'll miss him off the park as well as on it when he goes.

I'd love for us to go up, for him to sign the new contract and get a stab at the top league before he moves on though.

Cabbage Lad
02-05-2016, 01:05 PM
We've been crying out for a player of his personality and character for years.

We'll miss him off the park as well as on it when he goes.

I'd love for us to go up, for him to sign the new contract and get a stab at the top league before he moves on though.

Totally agree!