PDA

View Full Version : Less talk ?

pennyhibee
30-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Has there been too much talk coming out of ER this season .The papers today have Falkirk players on about the hollow talk from Hibs staff and players this season against opposition teams mainly Falkirk and rangers We're talking about scoring a bundle against QOS tomorrow which i'm sure they will see as a bit disrespectful and probably give them the same sort of incentive as it has to the aforementioned teams Just saying maybe we should get the job done first then talk about our achievements

CallumLaidlaw
30-04-2016, 06:28 PM
I think the papers have been very quick to twist what Hibs coaches and players have said this year. Lots of loaded questions then highlighting the answer.
Key example is Stubbs saying we are still fighting on 3 fronts which was true - headlines were that Stubbs was going for the treble.

Pete
30-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Nope. We get asked questions, answer them and the papers deliberately pick bits out. The line is that we are loud mouthed bottle merchants and they'll do anything to maintain that.

It's to be expected but what's disappointing is our own fans being taken in by it, accusing people at the club of bragging and boasting when they are doing no such thing.

Open your eyes people.

Brightside
30-04-2016, 06:39 PM
A quick look on here and on some of the facebook groups will quickly show how many people just read headlines and never actually read or listen to the interviews. Stubbs and the staff have been nothing but honest and humble. But some of the garbage written by our own fans is a much bigger problem. Probably Petries fault.

Onceinawhile
30-04-2016, 06:48 PM
Given that we've beat rangers twice and haven't lost to Falkirk, I think they're talking *****.

Thecat23
30-04-2016, 06:51 PM
Do folk still read papers like The Sun and The Record? Not being funny here but folk who read and believe stuff in those rags don't have a very high I.Q. (Not accusing the OP of a low I.Q btw)

Can't remember last time I picked up one of either paper.

bingo70
30-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Stubbs did say something along the lines of the league being between Rangers and Hibs and that Falkirk would fall away throughout the season. I thought that was a stupid thing to say.

I thought the antagonising of the Rangers before the game at ibrox was stupid although I can't remember exactly what was said.

I also read a headline recently with someone at Hibs questioning if the Falkirk players had a big game mentality or something, I remember thinking FFS here we go again although I never read the story so it may have been words getting twisted tbf.

All in all, yes, I think too much has been said to the media, especially considering we've not been able to walk the walk.

HoboHarry
30-04-2016, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=Thecat23;4665256]Do folk still read papers like The Sun and The Record? Not being funny here but folk who read and believe stuff in those rags don't have a very high I.Q. (Not accusing the OP of a low I.Q btw)

Can't remember last time I picked up one of either paper.[/QUOTE

Think I read somewhere that papers like the Record aim for the intelligence level associated with 12 year olds.

hibsbollah
30-04-2016, 06:59 PM
There's a popular line trotted out that pregame talk can somehow influence the outcome of matches. I don't believe it's a factor at all. Games are won and lost through the outcome of individual battles on the field of play. Stubbs could say Peter Houston is a big baldy tosser and a raging anti Semite and I doubt it would have any impact on how they play in their next game. In fact, I wish he would, it would be funny.

MWHIBBIES
30-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Football matches are won and lost on the park, not in the media.

Mikey09
30-04-2016, 07:04 PM
These journalists, and I use the term very loosely, have their pals at certain clubs. Houston for one is in with the bricks at the BBC and they, along with rags like The Sun and Record report to please folk like him. Example... Houston "publicly" has a go at Stephen Aitken questioning his players attitude before a big game. Aitken responds which most managers would do. Houston then publicly says Aitken should have phoned him and told him he was out of order not "spit the dummy out." So it's fine for Houston to use his pals in the media to have sly digs at certain managers but it's not ok to respond to the old fart publicly?! **** them. I for one am glad we have a manager and players willing to stand up to old ***** like him. To long Hibs have been a soft touch letting others rip into them.

Onion
30-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Stubbs did say something along the lines of the league being between Rangers and Hibs and that Falkirk would fall away throughout the season. I thought that was a stupid thing to say.

I thought the antagonising of the Rangers before the game at ibrox was stupid although I can't remember exactly what was said.

I also read a headline recently with someone at Hibs questioning if the Falkirk players had a big game mentality or something, I remember thinking FFS here we go again although I never read the story so it may have been words getting twisted tbf.

All in all, yes, I think too much has been said to the media, especially considering we've not been able to walk the walk.

Agree with this. If comments are getting twisted by the media then Hibs should be more careful who they put in front of the press and in what they say. Stubbs has been open in his verbal jousting which was fine when we were riding high, bit Hibs have come up well short in the league and he has had ample chance to sound a little more contrite. Good teams don't have to talk themselves up or set themselves up.

The majority of the media dislike us and revel in our ability to cock things up. Leanne is a clever operator and cannot be happy with the press Hibs gets.

Big_Franck
30-04-2016, 07:08 PM

I agree with a lot of that. I also think Stubbs has been naive at times. Having played here with Celtic he obviously wasn't used to the weegie media twisting everything he said. In his second year he should have known that if you give them the slightest hint of a story they'll twist it and run with misleading headlines.

The "we want to win all three competitions" one being a perfect example. They were always going to spin that and print ***** that heaped unnecessary pressure on us. He should just have used the "we're concentrating on the next game" line that the majority of players and managers use. Hopefully he learns from it.

30-04-2016, 07:09 PM
I think the papers have been very quick to twist what Hibs coaches and players have said this year. Lots of loaded questions then highlighting the answer.
Key example is Stubbs saying we are still fighting on 3 fronts which was true - headlines were that Stubbs was going for the treble.

Absolutely. That treble thing in particular was completely taken out of context by the media.

Onion
30-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Football matches are won and lost on the park, not in the media.

But mind games impact on matches !

Diclonius
30-04-2016, 07:26 PM
The papers today have Falkirk players on about the hollow talk from Hibs staff and players this season against opposition teams mainly Falkirk and rangers

Hibs' record against Falkirk this season: Won 1, Drew 3, Lost 0. Yeah, hollow talk.

GTF Falkirk, hope we batter them when we play them.

Sammy7nil
30-04-2016, 07:27 PM
There's a popular line trotted out that pregame talk can somehow influence the outcome of matches. I don't believe it's a factor at all. Games are won and lost through the outcome of individual battles on the field of play. Stubbs could say Peter Houston is a big baldy tosser and a raging anti Semite and I doubt it would have any impact on how they play in their next game. In fact, I wish he would, it would be funny.

It is a factor, throw away comments can definately motivate your opponents that is a gimmie. If however you are far and away the better team rarely will it effect the final outcome. If however the teams are closely matched that comment could be the difference.

CallumLaidlaw
30-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Peter Houstons "Hibs it" comment is far worse and more disrespectful than anything that's come out of a Hibs player or coaches mouth.

Thecat23
30-04-2016, 07:51 PM

Some on here as well. Stubbs never once came out and said we can win the treble. He said as it stands they are the only team that could as everyone else were out the running.

IndieHibby
30-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Anybody who concludes that Stubbs is anything other than a humble, driven and articulate manager doesn't listen to what he actually says.

The role of the media in sport is hyped and superficial, although significant in it's constant churning of output.

Results and the strategies that lead to them have very little to with what people say in public.

We give it more status than it deserves by constantly consuming their *****.

Pete
30-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Peter Houstons "Hibs it" comment is far worse and more disrespectful than anything that's come out of a Hibs player or coaches mouth.

:agree:

One article says the saying has been associated with losing your nerve.

Bit like the Scottish cup final last year.

MWHIBBIES
30-04-2016, 08:15 PM
But mind games impact on matches !Good players impact more.

GreenLake
01-05-2016, 05:32 AM
Less talk and more of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USI7Dd_FenQ

pennyhibee
01-05-2016, 04:03 PM
I appreciate the replies on the post I put up What I don't appreciate iare the cheap insinuations about my level of intelligence .I past the age of 12 some 50 years ago and hope my intellect has improved since then also the unfounded assumptions I am a daily record or/and sun reader ,there are other newspapers out there. Also I have heard on stv news at 6 Alan Stubbs saying he enjoys the mind games scenario ,Doolan saying Falkirk would never finish in second place and Fraser Fyvie questioning if Falkirk players had big match players .I think it can inspire the players on the receiving end to prove these points wrong and wondered if others might too SOME DON'T SOME DO .Fine but keep the slurs out of it we,re all Hibees

Ronniekirk
01-05-2016, 04:11 PM
Am really not interested in mind games now We Just need to find ways to win play off matches which are all over two legs So how we manage players and get players physically and mentally on their game is more important

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibby6270
01-05-2016, 04:13 PM
Given that we've beat rangers twice and haven't lost to Falkirk, I think they're talking *****.

True. We only get beat by rubbish teams like Dumbarton, Alloa and Morton.:rolleyes: