PDA

View Full Version : Ivan Sproule retiring from football

Stantons Angel
29-04-2016, 10:31 PM
I heard this morning that Ivan has announced he will retire after the last NI League match this saturday.

Just thought you might like to send him your best wishes and good luck on his retirement.

Here is the statement from Linfield FC

Best wishes to Ivan Sproule for his forthcoming retirement
Posted : 29th April 2016 at 10:47:25

Best wishes are extended to Ivan Sproule from all of his many friends at Windsor Park.

35 year old Ivan has announced his intention to retire from the game after tomorrow's crucially important game for Ballinamallard away to Carrick Rangers.

Ivan signed for Linfield on December 16, 2013 until the end of the 2014/15 season.

He made his Linfield debut as a half-time sub in a dramatic, late comeback 3-2 away win against Warrenpoint on Saturday, January 4, 2014.

He scored his first Linfield goal in a 6-0 home win against Ballinamallard United on February 15, 2014 - the day the then Linfield manager David Jeffrey announced his intention to step down from his post at the end of that season.

He won a County Antrim Shield winners medal in March 2014.

Ivan signed a one year contract extension with Linfield on June 18, 2015 but signed on loan for Ballinamallard United on January 5, 2016 until the end of the current season.

He will perhaps be best remembered for his late winner in the Boxing Day 'Big Two' Derby game in 2014 when he received a second yellow card for his goal celebration at the Kop end of Windsor Park.

His final Linfield goal was the winner in a 1-0 win at Dungannon on October 31, 2015 and his final Linfield appearance was as a sub in a 2-0 defeat away to Portadown on November 28, 2015.

His full statistical record with Linfield is as follows

2013/14 - 11 appearances (2 as sub) - 1 goal

2014/15 - 31 appearances (4 as sub) - 5 goals

2015/16 - 20 appearances (10 as sub) - 3 goals

Total - 62 appearances (16 as sub) - 9 goals

Bishop Hibee
29-04-2016, 10:33 PM
My personal favourite 'cult hero' in a Hibs jersey. All the best to him for the future :hibees

GreenLake
29-04-2016, 10:37 PM
All the best Ivan!

marinello59
29-04-2016, 10:37 PM
Number 1 is Ivan Sproule.....
One of my all time favourite players. Good luck to him for the future.

FranckSuzy
29-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Class act, both on and off the pitch.

Thanks for the memories and goals, Ivan. Your hattrick at Ibrox will be never be forgotten and all the best to you :thumbsup:

Sir David Gray
29-04-2016, 10:42 PM
He is my favourite Hibs player of all time.

I loved watching him play for us.

All the best to him in whatever he chooses to do in the next stage of his life.

stoneyburn hibs
29-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Ivan at Ibrox Sproule, a contender for Hibs best buy of the last 30 years. Good luck to the wee man.

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2016, 10:46 PM
The very best of luck in your retirement Ivan ....... a star on and off the pitch. Sometimes I didn't know what you were doing, sometimes you didn't know what you were doing:

But when you did it right it was wonderful http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/not%20worthy.gif

Pete
29-04-2016, 10:50 PM
When he first came I used to love watching him chase people down and he caught a few people out with his speed. Anyone who decks Rudi Skacel is alright in my book.

Good luck Ivan. :aok:

madabouthibs
29-04-2016, 11:00 PM
Just for stomping on that Hearts c*** in the semi, I salute you.
All the best wee man, love always. :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
29-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Any chance of our five grand back, Ivan?

Billy McKirdy
29-04-2016, 11:20 PM
To go from the level he came from to join us at the relatively late age of 24 (?) to carve out a career which included his time with us, that hat trick (how can you top that) to playing in Europe, playing at a decent level down south for a good number of years, and more regular top flight football in Scotland and Northern Ireland plus that game at Windsor Park for his country against England had the whole of Ulster falling in love with Sproule.
A great career for a top guy.
Hope you stay in the game in some capacity Ivan.
Thanks for everything.

Frank Moon
29-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Just for stomping on that Hearts c*** in the semi, I salute you.
All the best wee man, love always. :thumbsup:

Eh no! That was a let down when already didn't have Riordon and Brown. He let us down that day. But liked him.

leggeto
29-04-2016, 11:22 PM
Hibs legend, wish him well and hope to see him in a testimonial, great memories, so fast

29-04-2016, 11:26 PM
The guy gave us some memorable moments.
Will never forget that hat-trick at Ibrox - one of my best football days out ever.

Onion
29-04-2016, 11:39 PM
A rare player who made most of his talents and opportunities and who truly loved playing for the Hibs. So many great memories.

snooky
29-04-2016, 11:40 PM
Loved watching him play.
Not many players can generate instant excitement.
Ivan could and did. Worth the entry money alone
Aw ra best for the future, pal.
Legend.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
29-04-2016, 11:53 PM
Love you Ivan, hibs legend 💚

jgl07
30-04-2016, 12:32 AM
Ivan was one of my favorite Hibs players of all time, He wasn't the biggest, the strongest or the most skillful. He may have been the fastest but it was his enthusiasm and willingness to give all he had for Hibs. For someone who grew up as a Rangers supporter, that says it all.

His hat trick at Ibrox off the bench when his friends and family were in the home end obviously stands out. His goal at Ibrox in the 3-0 win also is worthy of mention. Finally his goal that helped secure Hibs a very rare win at Celtic Park should not be forgotten.

My most vivid memories of Ivan are him wearing a leprechaun hat at Hampden after the 5-1 win over Killie.

Ivan is a true Hibs legend as he way overperformed his level of ability in Green and White.

Forza Fred
30-04-2016, 12:50 AM
Thanks Ivan, especially for making my trip home from Australia in 2005 so memorable.

I s till see myself on the video at Ibrox among the other 900 Hibbies celebrating your three unforgettable goals.

Never, ever forget it.

Hibby-Nessie
30-04-2016, 12:56 AM
Come back Ivan, all the best :flag:

The Spaceman
30-04-2016, 03:16 AM
My favourite Hibs player, fast, exciting and a genuinely good guy who loved our club. I even went out my way to sign him on every FIFA career mode I've played, letting him bag a hat trick in the champions league final for Barcelona.

All the best Ivan, enjoy your retirement.

mikewynne
30-04-2016, 04:44 AM
Hero

InchHibby
30-04-2016, 05:17 AM
I was in a pub in Spain watching sky sports when the score line kept coming through with Ivan's hat trick against that mob, that moment is frozen in time for me, what a night that was.
A great player, a great guy, thanks for all the memories and good luck on whichever path you choose.

LancsHibs
30-04-2016, 05:23 AM
Can only echo what's already been said. Great player. Enjoy your retirement and wish you all the best in whatever you do after football:agree:

jodjam
30-04-2016, 05:33 AM
Any chance of our five grand back, Ivan?

:greengrin

Nameless
30-04-2016, 05:41 AM
I had a season ticket in the old east for the duration of his first stay with us. No matter what the score was, when Ivan came on the atmosphere changed and the hope and excitement was palpable. As another has said, when he got the ball, nobody knew what would happen next. More than half the time it would lead to nothing, but I don't remember him ever getting stick from the stands. Not the most skillful, not the most gifted, but easily the most heart of any player I've ever seen wear the green. Still my favourite hibs player, and I still dream of a team of Ivan Sproule's.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk

Fife-Hibee
30-04-2016, 05:52 AM
Used to love when he got the ball, the whole ground was up on its feel as you didn't know what was coming next. Fantastic guy, did brilliant for us and as op have said' that day at ibrox will live on for ever. All the best Ivan' hope to see you back at Easter road in the near future :)

Sean1875
30-04-2016, 06:42 AM
all the best Ivan, a long with many others it seems he was one of my all time favourite players. he would start running with the ball at the edge of our own penalty box and you'd be off your seat expecting something, can't think of many players that have brought that level of excitement! hopefully see him taking in a few games at ER soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith_M
30-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Ivan Sproule Dance Off

:greengrin
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzd2DjLlR18)

Pretty Boy
30-04-2016, 06:49 AM
I remember him coming on as a sub in a semi final defeat to Dundee Utd and he was worse than a man short. It was like the other players didn't want to pass the ball to him. He didn't feature much after that that season but did play fairly well in the final game against Rangers.

I was a bit suprised when Mowbray replaced Garry O'Connor with him at Ibrox. Up to that point we had been solid and I thought we had a chance of nicking it. The rest is history..... Iirc Dnipro made a bid of about £1M for him just after we played them?

A player who absolutely lived the dream. Plucked from part time football in his mid 20s and played at a good level in Scotland, England and at home as well as gaining international caps is a bit of a fairytale. The fact he took Hibs to his heart is all the better. I hope he manages to squeeze a visit to ER into his retirement.

#FromTheCapital
30-04-2016, 06:58 AM
One of the most exciting players I've seen in a hibs jersey. He might not have been the most technically gifted player, but he made up for that with his speed, determination and ability to create a chance from nothing. Always had me on my feet when he had the ball.

Modern day hibs legend. All the best Ivan.

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2016, 07:23 AM
There's not many players who get you off your feet whenever he got the ball, but Ivan was one of them.

Good luck in the future. :not worth

Billychaotic182
30-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Loved Ivan. He is my all time favourite hibs player. Every time he had the ball and ran down that right wing you would hear every single chair in Easter road bang up as he brought everyone to their feet, you just knew something could happen when he had the ball.

The_Horde
30-04-2016, 07:39 AM
It takes a lot for a player who doesn't support the club from a young age to become a legend at any football club.

It's a testament to his desire, passion and application that he is indeed a legend and I'll still speak of him in 50 years time. The fastest player I've ever seen in a green jersey and, when on form, defences just could not cope.

He's here, he's there.

mmmmhibby
30-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Thanks for the memories Ivan, good luck.

One Day
30-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Good luck Ivan, great memories of those magic feet, the hat trick at Ibrox is and will be part of folk lore for ever

eastterrace
30-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Great memories , fantastic wee player hope he comes back to Easter rd and we get a chance to thank him. All the best Ivan in the future

Pretty Boy
30-04-2016, 08:13 AM
A wee chorus of 'he's here, he's there..' prior to the final v Rangers would be good.

A wee tribute to a good servant and it would likely annoy that mob as well.

SJM
30-04-2016, 10:27 AM
All the best Ivan, from the goal as a sub at Celtic park in the 3-1 win to the Hattrick against rangers, will never be forgotten. Amazing days, total hero.

Thank you.

30-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Absolutely loved Ivan. Loved watching him play and loved the passion and love he had for the club.

All the very very best Ivan, thanks for the memories and you will always be warmly welcomed down at ER :thumbsup:

oconnors_strip
30-04-2016, 11:26 AM
A wee chorus of 'he's here, he's there..' prior to the final v Rangers would be good.

A wee tribute to a good servant and it would likely annoy that mob as well.

Hopefully he is over for the game, met him at the LC final and he is still full of life and loves hibs! Got my photo with him and I was walking on air for about 30 mins after it :greengrin

kaimendhibs
30-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Very best wishes Ivan. A class act on and off the park

CRAZYHIBBY
30-04-2016, 11:28 AM
Best 5k hibs ever spent

Iggy Pope
30-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Here, there, every ****ing where! 💚

gegs70
30-04-2016, 12:37 PM
Good Luck to Ivan he gave us some fantastic memories.,..

johnbc70
30-04-2016, 12:49 PM
There was always and air of expectation when he got the ball. Don't think we have had anything like that since he left.

MagicSwirlingShip
30-04-2016, 01:03 PM
An absolute Fairytale story, and one that sums up why I love Football, and Hibs, so much.

I don't think we realised how lucky we were when we had Ivan here, everytime he got the ball he had the crowd off their seats, and any ball in behind he would win the race with 5 yards spare.

All the best Ivan, thank you for the memories!

Vini1875
30-04-2016, 01:22 PM
Good Luck Ivan, you'll always be welcome down Easter Road way.

SJM
30-04-2016, 01:24 PM
Good Luck Ivan, you'll always be welcome down Easter Road way.

An audience with Conrad Logan and Ivan Sproule maybe?

ScottB
30-04-2016, 01:38 PM
Sir Ivan of Sproule, Hammer of the Gers 😀

Wish him all the best!

MyJo
30-04-2016, 01:42 PM
Best of luck to him with whatever he chooses to do next.

One of my favourite players who will always be remembered at Easter Road.

Baader
30-04-2016, 01:50 PM
All the best Ivan.

Forever welcome at Easter Road. Thanks for the fantastic memories.

Nicho87
30-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Loved the club and we loved Ivan

Newry Hibs
30-04-2016, 04:36 PM
He scored today for Ballinamallard, but they lost and go into a relegation paly off against his old club Institute.

Thecat23
30-04-2016, 04:49 PM
I remember him coming on as a sub in a semi final defeat to Dundee Utd and he was worse than a man short. It was like the other players didn't want to pass the ball to him. He didn't feature much after that that season but did play fairly well in the final game against Rangers.

I was a bit suprised when Mowbray replaced Garry O'Connor with him at Ibrox. Up to that point we had been solid and I thought we had a chance of nicking it. The rest is history..... Iirc Dnipro made a bid of about £1M for him just after we played them?

A player who absolutely lived the dream. Plucked from part time football in his mid 20s and played at a good level in Scotland, England and at home as well as gaining international caps is a bit of a fairytale. The fact he took Hibs to his heart is all the better. I hope he manages to squeeze a visit to ER into his retirement.

He barley touched the ball that game when he came on. Was in loads of space yet no one passed to him. Everyone where I was sitting were going mental. Felt for him that day.

Glory Lurker
30-04-2016, 04:55 PM
He barley touched the ball that game when he came on. Was in loads of space yet no one passed to him. Everyone where I was sitting were going mental. Felt for him that day.

"Never, ever a footballer" was my verdict that day. Fair to say I know nothing about football!

The Green Goblin
30-04-2016, 05:19 PM
Our Jamie Vardy. :greengrin Good luck Ivan!

Mr White
30-04-2016, 05:29 PM
He scored today for Ballinamallard, but they lost and go into a relegation paly off against his old club Institute.

Will it not be against h&w welders? They've finished runners up in the championship 1. Or do they not meet the entrance criteria for the top division?

Newry Hibs
30-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Will it not be against h&w welders? They've finished runners up in the championship 1. Or do they not meet the entrance criteria for the top division?
Took the info from the BBC site. But you're right there's all sorts of entrance criteria that has to be gone through. Did think if you didn't meet it then there's no play-off. I stand to be corrected.

Mr White
30-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Took the info from the BBC site. But you're right there's all sorts of entrance criteria that has to be gone through. Did think if you didn't meet it then there's no play-off. I stand to be corrected.

If it is against the welders I'll pop along to knocknagoney for their home leg to see Ivan play one last time. Its just along the road from here.

30-04-2016, 05:57 PM
"Never, ever a footballer" was my verdict that day. Fair to say I know nothing about football!

Hahaha will let you off, as i'm sure you were 1 of thousands lol!

£5k - talk about a bargain!!!

kevo1875
30-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Thank you Ivan and I wish no nothing but success in the future ...

kevo1875
30-04-2016, 06:06 PM
*Thank you Ivan and I wish u nothing but success in the future...*

Spike Mandela
30-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Apart from all the obvious great memories of Ivan I always liked how he was a great out ball for our defenders when they were under pressure.

It must be great for a defender to just be able to lump the ball in the general direction of the right wing corner flag and know that our version of Speedy Gonzales was going to get on it 99% of the time.

Thanks for the memories Ivan.

snooky
30-04-2016, 07:05 PM

Re. nobody passing to him in his debut. The much praised in another thread, Gary Caldwell being the main culprit, IIRC.

Viva_Palmeiras
30-04-2016, 07:06 PM

Did he play against England when they won 1-0 at Wembley? (Think he was at least in the squad)

Sir David Gray
30-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Did he play against England when they won 1-0 at Wembley? (Think he was at least in the squad)

They beat them in Belfast and yes, he came on for the last couple of minutes.

HibbyAndy
30-04-2016, 07:19 PM

That was his debut IIRC.

Absolutely lived the dream

Hi Heid Yin
30-04-2016, 07:38 PM
Ivan exploded onto our Hibee scene from out of no where. His blistering pace and up-and-at-em attitude was refreshing and utterly exciting.
His hat trick at Ibrox is captured for perpetuity, as is his Hibs supporters night Irish dance.
The guy is without question a Hibs legend.
He endeared himself to all of us and genuinely loved our club, and not just for giving him his late start in British professional football.
He was one of our own.
Thank you Ivan Sproule and bless you from the bottom of my heart for giving me so much genuine joy.
:flag:

B.H.F.C
30-04-2016, 07:39 PM
Gets called a cult hero quite a lot but he was more than that I thought. That substitute appearance at ibrox and a cup winner. Not many Hibs players over the years have done anything even close to that.

Met him up the town once and he happily stood and talked about all things Hibs for about an hour like he'd known me for years.

IndieHibby
30-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Ibrox hat trick and celebration. The very definition of football passion.

Lago
30-04-2016, 08:39 PM
Yip was at the game & he seemed totally lost didn't seem to have a clue as to what he should be doing. I thought weve gotca right dud here, how wrong was I !!!

Jonnyboy
30-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the memories Ivan. You deserve to be lauded by Hibs fans :thumbsup:

Bostonhibby
30-04-2016, 08:47 PM
One of our own and the epitome of what happens once players who might have other leanings catch the Hibs bug. All the best Ivan, thanks for the memories, and keep the faith.:hibees

jdships
30-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the memories Ivan
Thanks for the chance to be a friend even for just a few short years
Whatever you choose to do - ENJOY !!!!!!!

Hibby Bairn
30-04-2016, 08:52 PM
I remember Ivan in this game. At times in the first half he was simply 'unplayable'. One of the best Hibs performances I saw.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6157774.stm

Stokesy's on fire
30-04-2016, 10:29 PM
All the best to the Hun destroyer.

ScottB
30-04-2016, 10:33 PM

Only a few days after his Ibrox hat trick wasn't it?

Sir David Gray
30-04-2016, 10:52 PM
Only a few days after his Ibrox hat trick wasn't it?

:agree: Just over a week later.

Scary to think that was nearly 11 years ago!

NadeAteMyLunch!
30-04-2016, 11:07 PM
I remember Ivan in this game. At times in the first half he was simply 'unplayable'. One of the best Hibs performances I saw.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6157774.stm

Was at that game, tremendous day out. Went out in Edinburgh once we got back home and bumped into Ivan in the old Bar 38. Stood speaking to him for ages about the game and how well we had played. He was a top, top bloke.

snooky
01-05-2016, 12:09 AM
The iconic Ibrox 'crucification' photo is still my fav Hibees pic.

JimBHibees
01-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Played with a huge heart and enormous passion which was great to see. His hat trick is stuff of legend and also seems to have been a decent guy.

All the best Ivan.

Who can forget the Garry O line when subbed for Ivan at Ibrox, "so what's he going to do". :greengrin

overdrive
01-05-2016, 07:56 AM
Legend in his first spell. In his second spell, he came back as better player overall but less effective if that makes sense.

Saw him in the toilets at Hampden at the LC final. Poor guy was just wanting to pee but couldn't due to pretty much everyone wanting a selfie with him.

rcarter1
01-05-2016, 08:10 AM
For the Hat-trick, For scoring the winner in your next game vs Dundee United when I had brought along some guests to see the Super Ivan, For your passion, For your pace (I miss pace!!!), For your story, and for that dance off….

THANK YOU IVAN SPROULE!!!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

s.a.m
01-05-2016, 08:22 AM
Best wishes for the future, Ivan.
You cemented a place in Hibs history with your beautiful hat-trick, and your commitment and enthusiasm were a joy to watch. Come back and see us some time.:aok:

keep the faith
01-05-2016, 10:27 AM
We should invite him back to take a bow at the play offs. He and the fans would appreciate that chance.

BarneyHibby
01-05-2016, 11:37 AM
All the best for the future Ivan, thanks for the memories.

hibee_girl
01-05-2016, 12:23 PM
One of my favourite players ever, absolutely loved him.

Nutmegged
01-05-2016, 02:11 PM
Is he the last opposition player to score a hattrick at Ibrox?

Killiehibbie
01-05-2016, 07:04 PM
We all dream.

Sir David Gray
01-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Is he the last opposition player to score a hattrick at Ibrox?

Yes.