PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for Summer Football?

Alfred E Newman
29-04-2016, 06:56 PM
No game today!
http://i66.tinypic.com/10yjluc.jpg

ACLeith
29-04-2016, 07:12 PM
No game today!
http://i66.tinypic.com/10yjluc.jpg

Lovely evening in sunny Leith 😀

Eyrie
29-04-2016, 10:23 PM
April would be part of the season whether we stayed put or moved to the summer.

It's just that freezing cold and snow are less likely in the summer.

jgl07
29-04-2016, 11:28 PM
There is no such thing as Summer or Winter football.

We have a break in June and bits of July. Other countries have a break in December and January.

The latter is exceptionally dumb for Scotland given that the Christmas-New Year period gets the biggest crowds of the season with all the expatriot Scots returning for the festivities. Meantime many of us will be on holiday June and July assuming there is not a World Cup or European Championship on which means that matches will not be able to be played for many teams,

I have been at Matches in April affected by snow. I was at an Intertoto Cup match in July almost abandoned because of a flooded pitch.

File this under 'Stupid ideas'.

LaMotta
29-04-2016, 11:54 PM

We have a break in June and bits of July. Other countries have a break in December and January.

The latter is exceptionally dumb for Scotland given that the Christmas-New Year period gets the biggest crowds of the season with all the expatriot Scots returning for the festivities. Meantime many of us will be on holiday June and July assuming there is not a World Cup or European Championship on which means that matches will not be able to be played for many teams,

I have been at Matches in April affected by snow. I was at an Intertoto Cup match in July almost abandoned because of a flooded pitch.

Couldn't have put it better!

Craigmount Hibs
30-04-2016, 08:29 AM

👍👍 Send this to the SPFL and any other donut in favour of "summer" football.

Alfred E Newman
30-04-2016, 11:55 AM
The pro summer football pundits like Chic Young have been strangely silent on the matter in recent weeks. The idea that a switch would have us watching football in shorts and tee shirts is a complete fallacy.

marinello59
30-04-2016, 12:02 PM
The pro summer football pundits like Chic Young have been strangely silent on the matter in recent weeks. The idea that a switch would have us watching football in shorts and tee shirts is a complete fallacy.

There's a much better chance of football being played in better conditions over the summer. And despite attempts toargue otherwise the conditions for the fans will generally be more pleasant. Nobody is claiming it would be tee shirt and shorts weather every game.
Unfortunately we will probably never see it because the forces running our game are the most conservative to be found anywhere.

Thecat23
30-04-2016, 12:07 PM

There will be games where it's really nice though and folk would be in a t shirt and shorts! Better than sitting in -5 and howling winds. Never happen though sadly.

Waxy
30-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Summer football blah. What happens when the world cup or the Euro championships are on? Thought so.

Pretty Boy
30-04-2016, 12:38 PM
Summer football blah. What happens when the world cup or the Euro championships are on? Thought so.

What happens in the Scandinavian countries that actually qualify for major tournaments?

Thecat23
30-04-2016, 12:41 PM

Have a break! Not rocket science.

HibsMax
30-04-2016, 02:22 PM
It's hardly a stupid idea, it's just not idea that you like personally.

Phil MaGlass
30-04-2016, 02:32 PM
Its one of the reasons Scottish clubs get humped ootae Euroe so quickly.many countries start their season 4-8 weks before us. Were just startin playin friendlies. Give me an early start to the season any time. As for fans being on holiday, poor excuse, plenty games could be missed. Dont think if I miss an away game against alloa or rosscounty because I am going on holiday would worry me too much.

SunshineOnLeith
30-04-2016, 02:53 PM
So many games in Scotland in the second half of the season and played on terrible pitches, which definitely affects the quality of the game. I think that if we don't want to switch the summer football, we're going to need to become more accepting of artificial surfaces.

Hibernia&Alba
30-04-2016, 02:57 PM
It appeals to me more in mid winter, when my baws have frozen solid at games. Then again, in the long winter months the football cheers me up.

Bishop Hibee
30-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Not me thanks. I'd give up my ST as I'd miss too many games.

Alfred E Newman
30-04-2016, 05:10 PM
There will be games where it's really nice though and folk would be in a t shirt and shorts! Better than sitting in -5 and howling winds. Never happen though sadly.

So please tell us which month the -5 and howling winds take place?
I'll answer for you, any month from November to April.

SunshineOnLeith
30-04-2016, 05:27 PM
So please tell us which month the -5 and howling winds take place?
I'll answer for you, any month from November to April.

Isn't that literally his point?

Humo
30-04-2016, 05:28 PM
Summer football would increase Scottish teams chances of qualifying for Europe. Look at Aberdeen for example, booted out of Europe before the group stages but then when they start the season properly they go on an unbeaten run. They would of 100% gotten to the group stages if our season started 4-6 weeks earlier.

Sir David Gray
30-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Summer football would make absolutely no sense in a country like Scotland, which does not really have any clear distinctions between any of the four seasons.

The weather recently has barely been any different to the weather we might expect to see in December or January. July is also quite often one of the wettest months of the year in Scotland.

It's a no from me.

Golden Bear
30-04-2016, 05:45 PM
Summer football would increase Scottish teams chances of qualifying for Europe. Look at Aberdeen for example, booted out of Europe before the group stages but then when they start the season properly they go on an unbeaten run. They would of 100% gotten to the group stages if our season started 4-6 weeks earlier.

Honestly, does your average fan really care about qualification for European football? It's more bother than it's worth and can even financially penalise some of the participants. Just ask St Johnstone.

Humo
30-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Honestly, does your average fan really care about qualification for European football? It's more bother than it's worth and can even financially penalise some of the participants. Just ask St Johnstone.
Getting to the group stage is where the money starts. The qualification is worthless and does cost a lot of teams money but it's worth it if you get through

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

Alfred E Newman
30-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Isn't that literally his point?

If he is wanting to avoid low temperatures and high winds we would need a 6 months close season.
Anyway, summer in Scotland is as hard to predict as the winter and we already play during 5 of the so called summer months.

Alfred E Newman
30-04-2016, 05:58 PM
Really?

Humo
30-04-2016, 06:00 PM
[/B]
Really?
Well not 100% but they would of had a much higher chance and considering how close they were I think they would of.

Eyrie
30-04-2016, 06:25 PM
Summer football would make absolutely no sense in a country like Scotland, which does not really have any clear distinctions between any of the four seasons.

The weather recently has barely been any different to the weather we might expect to see in December or January. July is also quite often one of the wettest months of the year in Scotland.

It's a no from me.
Winter has snow and freezing temperatures as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Summer has brief periods of sunshine and warmth as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Since it's cold, dreich and windy all year round, summer football at least offers the hope of decent weather rather than the threat of it being worse.

Playing in the summer makes sense from a football point of view as well. Not only will it help our teams in Europe (which is where we expect Hibs to be) but there is an opportunity to get a better TV deal because there will be a couple of months with no English football to compete with.

Humo
30-04-2016, 06:26 PM
Winter has snow and freezing temperatures as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Summer has brief periods of sunshine and warmth as a change from it being cold, dreich and windy.

Since it's cold, dreich and windy all year round, summer football at least offers the hope of decent weather rather than the threat of it being worse.

Playing in the summer makes sense from a football point of view as well. Not only will it help our teams in Europe (which is where we expect Hibs to be) but there is an opportunity to get a better TV deal because there will be a couple of months with no English football to compete with.
This 100%

blackpoolhibs
30-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Do we play many games on a friday?

Golden Bear
30-04-2016, 07:11 PM
Getting to the group stage is where the money starts. The qualification is worthless and does cost a lot of teams money but it's worth it if you get through

Like it or not, Scottish football is only marginally better than the Irish leagues and the chances of qualifcation to the group stages are slim to say the least.

Humo
30-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Like it or not, Scottish football is only marginally better than the Irish leagues and the chances of qualifcation to the group stages are slim to say the least.
It doesn't take much to get to the group stages and a decent scottish team (hibs, hearts Aberdeen) in form would be enough to qualify. Get additional prize money improve the team and in theory do better the next year.

greenlex
30-04-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm not for Summer football. I do other things in the Summrer. I think I might just be lost to the game. Certainly no season ticket for me.
Scottish clubs 20 /30 years ago competed in Eurooe regularly playing our season in the winter on worse pitches than the top teams play on now. What's changed? It's not the weather.

SquashedFrogg
30-04-2016, 08:16 PM

Or..... Maybe we are the stupid ones? Going away on holiday June/July when we have the best weather of the year in our Country? Maybe we should (crazy idea) go on holiday to get some sunshine when Scotland is wet and cold?

Oh, while I'm re-calibrating the mindset of the world - can we work Sat/Sun and have the other 5 days off :agree:

Jack
30-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I can remember it once snowed quite heavily on June 3rd one year. The snow was a good few inches around the stadium.

I'm still more likely to arrange a BBQ in June rather than December.

The crowds in December are crap mostly because of the weather and Christmas coming up.

Give me summer footy any time, or at least give it a decent trial.

Andy74
30-04-2016, 08:55 PM

Yep. For the trip. We're never going to get too far. All you want is a decent few days out if it.

Pretty Boy
30-04-2016, 08:56 PM
I'm not for Summer football. I do other things in the Summrer. I think I might just be lost to the game. Certainly no season ticket for me.
Scottish clubs 20 /30 years ago competed in Eurooe regularly playing our season in the winter on worse pitches than the top teams play on now. What's changed? It's not the weather.

To get into the real European competitions we have to enter them 8-10 weeks earlier now?

Itsnoteasy
01-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Going to the Euros that will do me for summer fitbaw.