PDA

View Full Version : Players on social media

28-04-2016, 05:16 PM
heard on the radio early in the week that St Mirren are considering banning their players from social media sites such as Twitter. Good idea or bad?

We have seen on countless occasions players on twitter getting themselves into bother by either tweeting something offensive or getting caught up in arguments with online trolls. Sparky being the biggest example that springs to mind.

I'm just not sure banning players altogether is a great idea though, they are still people who have a right to a social life just as much as the rest of us. I for one think its great seeing a lot of our players on twitter, you can see the banter they have with each other and its a great way of connect with the supporters.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Abuse of human rights.

GreenLake
28-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Last match at La Galaxy all the players training shirts had their twitter handles printed on the back and were up for auction during the game. What a contrast.

28-04-2016, 05:30 PM
If I was the manager I wouldn't have a problem with my players being on social media but they would be given strict warnings on how to conduct themselves. Too many internet trolls out their targeting players in the hope of getting a reaction which then before you know it is picked up by the papers.

SeanWilson
28-04-2016, 05:33 PM
Boyle and Bartley are really vocal with the fans on Facebook and Twitter. I think there's a line to be crossed by footballers but they should be allowed to interact with fans etc - no harm.

Jack
28-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Boyle and Bartley are really vocal with the fans on Facebook and Twitter. I think there's a line to be crossed by footballers but they should be allowed to interact with fans etc - no harm.

There's a few other Hibbies too.

All seem very amiable and don't get caught up in any controversy. At their level I think it's great way to interact with the support.

greenlex
28-04-2016, 05:41 PM
The vast majority of players are fine. It's the brainless ones that are a problem for clubs. Use the disciplinary system and the dafties might eventually get it. No need for the sledgehammer to a nut approach.

Bishop Hibee
28-04-2016, 05:43 PM
David Farrell the Assistant Manager at St Mirren was a regular 'tweeter' but stopped not long after he took the job.

Players should be taught the do's and don'ts of social media while they are youngsters. I quite enjoy the banter between the current Hibs players who use Twitter.

28-04-2016, 05:59 PM
David Farrell the Assistant Manager at St Mirren was a regular 'tweeter' but stopped not long after he took the job.

Players should be taught the do's and don'ts of social media while they are youngsters. I quite enjoy the banter between the current Hibs players who use Twitter.

:agree:

keep the faith
28-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Think it all stemmed from St mirren players showing support for rangers before the old firm game but I might be wrong.

hibsbollah
28-04-2016, 06:22 PM
I've had a few social media exchanges with Hibs players and it's a great change from having to get a filtered view through an incompetent mainstream media. The genies out of the bottle and you're not going to be able to ban players. Much better just to educate them in using it properly.

HibsNutter
28-04-2016, 06:24 PM
Awful idea.

28-04-2016, 06:27 PM
The vast majority of players are fine. It's the brainless ones that are a problem for clubs. Use the disciplinary system and the dafties might eventually get it. No need for the sledgehammer to a nut approach.

Agree. TBF though the ban may also be for the players own safety as well. So many trolls out there who target them for abuse. Look at Griffith for example, the abuse he got was sickening, especially when some people started abusing and threatening his children. In his interview a couple years ago he even said he contemplated suicide as the abuse him and his family were getting got so bad.

Eyrie
28-04-2016, 06:59 PM

It's the brainless trolls that are a bigger problem than the brainless players. Too many keyboard hardmen trying desperately to provoke a reaction in a way that they would never have the balls to try to someone's face.

Generally social media is fine, but the ongoing problem of how to address those who abuse it is a societal issue and not merely a sporting one.

matty_f
28-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I've had a few social media exchanges with Hibs players and it's a great change from having to get a filtered view through an incompetent mainstream media. The genies out of the bottle and you're not going to be able to ban players. Much better just to educate them in using it properly.
:agree: it's a great way for the players to connect with the fans.