PDA

View Full Version : What a Season

DaveSo
28-04-2016, 11:12 AM
As we sit here on the verge of the last game of the season and still play-offs AND a Scottish Cup Final to come in May, I can't help feeling that this has been the most exciting season we Hibs fans have had in years.
So many ups and downs and countless talking points.
Starting with the Scott Allan saga, the opening day defeat at Dumbarton then a long unbeaten league run plus SPL scalps in the League Cup.
Into the New Year with Malonga leaving and Stokes coming in, League Cup Semi Final success at the Pink Bus Shelter with their biggest crowd of the season in attendance, the Scottish Cup victory over the Jambos and then a majorly disappointing drop in league results but a replay victory in Inverness of all places.
Onto Hampden for a gutting last minute defeat in League Cup Final but a return there a few weeks later for dramatic penalty shoot-out success in Scottish Cup Semi Final.
A late season upturn in form leaves us with everything to play for.
It could all end up in tears or as the biggest party we have ever seen.
Fans of other teams would love to have such an exciting season.
Lets hold onto our hats and support the team to the end.
Its what being a Hibs fan is all about.
Its never boring thats for sure !

Waxy
28-04-2016, 11:25 AM
Yes. We've been emotionally dragged through a rollercoaster this year and the best/worst is yet to come.
I know it's not right but i'd rather this than finishing 9th in the SPFL and out the cups early.

andrew70
28-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Hear Hear

C'mon the Hibees.

7, maybe 5, more performances like Tuesday and we'll see what happens. Up and at 'em right from the start.

GGTTH

rcarter1
28-04-2016, 11:59 AM
It has been emotional already, and we haven't even got to the really big games!! :agree:

Mango Man
28-04-2016, 12:13 PM
It certainly has been an epic season so far, can't remember us having played so many games ever, and for being in the Championship, we've actually hit the headlines quite a lot this season and have managed to build probably the best Hibs team I've seen in years.

I hope the football gods shine on us at the buisness end for a change, we deserve it.

GreenLake
28-04-2016, 12:45 PM
The players need to stand up and claim their legacy. I wish them the best of luck!

California-Hibs
28-04-2016, 02:22 PM
I tell you what if we win the Scottish and go up as wel...

Offfffffffffffffffffffft !!

28-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Totally agree. As hibees we are no strangers to the "emotional rollercoaster" but this season has been particularly jampacked with extreme highs and low and its not even over yet!

Off the top of my head, already we've had:

Highs
Hanlons goal to beat sevco at ER in November
Unbeaten run
Hammering Dundee Utd out the league cup at ER with a stunning performance
Dumping Aberdeen out the cup at ER
League cup semi-final win at the tin can
Coming back from 2-0 down with 10 minutes to go against them with a last minute equaliser
Knocking them out at the reply at ER
Beating ICT to send us BACK to Hampden
Dramatic penalty-shoot out win to send us to a second cup final of the season
4-0 win to Dumbarton to keep us in the race for 2nd and setting up a dramatic final day

Lows
Getting beat to sevco just after xmas
Our poor dip in form which saw defeats to Dumbarton, Alloa, Morton etc.
Loosing a last minute goal in the cup final
Drawing to Falkirk after being 2-0 up at ER with about 5 minutes to go or something

Enough said
28-04-2016, 04:59 PM
I tell you what if we win the Scottish and go up as wel...

Offfffffffffffffffffffft !!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha if only mate here hoping , the wife won't see me for weeks if win the Scottish

fat freddy
28-04-2016, 05:31 PM
Sunday's match versus QOTS will be our 52nd game if you include all cup matches and the pre season friendlies. If we go all the way in the play offs from a 3rd place spot that will add another 6 games taking us to 58 with the final giving an overall match count of 59. Possibly the most amount of games played by any team in Britain this year? Maybe not as Liverpool and Man City have gone far in Europe but whatever, it's a huge amount of games. There is definitely a book waiting to be written on this most emotionally draining season if it all pans out as we'd like. I'll need a self help trauma recovery book if it all goes pear shaped though

lucky
28-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Hibs are a roller coaster and it's addictive. May 2016 could be greatest month in last 60 years. For me I'm convinced that promotion and cup win are happening.

Pete
28-04-2016, 05:48 PM
No matter what happens now this season will live long in the memory.

Football isn't about accepting mediocrity or service level agreements. It's a sport that, at its finest, should be exciting. It's certainly ticked that box.

KWJ
28-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Totally agree mate. I will say that for those having a moan about not being entertained or feeling let down and the likes, I've been watching it all from afar be it through HibsTV, radio or constant score updates and it's hard going.

Would love to have been with you all throughout the season and over May. Can't emphasise just how much it sucks not being able to be there down to other crappy circumstances.

So It'll be an 8am laptop hooked to tv screen for me and praying to le god for a stable connection and a bunch of Hibs wins OR avoiding the score for watching as live later in the day. That's even worse!

hibsbollah
28-04-2016, 06:07 PM
The maddest season ever, even more than 1991. Despite the terrible slump post Christmas I've loved it.

The yams can get their cheapies about us being in the league below but we beat them AGAIN and their season by comparison to ours has been dull, solid and unspectacular. Boring season for a boring team.

28-04-2016, 06:30 PM
The maddest season ever, even more than 1991. Despite the terrible slump post Christmas I've loved it.

The yams can get their cheapies about us being in the league below but we beat them AGAIN and their season by comparison to ours has been dull, solid and unspectacular. Boring season for a boring team.

Their season has been a damp squib hence their deep interest in us. The most excitement they have had is watching us and hoping we fail. The SC final will be massive for them.

Hi Heid Yin
28-04-2016, 09:21 PM
As we sit here on the verge of the last game of the season and still play-offs AND a Scottish Cup Final to come in May, I can't help feeling that this has been the most exciting season we Hibs fans have had in years.
Starting with the Scott Allan saga, the opening day defeat at Dumbarton then a long unbeaten league run plus SPL scalps in the League Cup.
Into the New Year with Malonga leaving and Stokes coming in, League Cup Semi Final success at the Pink Bus Shelter with their biggest crowd of the season in attendance, the Scottish Cup victory over the Jambos and then a majorly disappointing drop in league results but a replay victory in Inverness of all places.
Onto Hampden for a gutting last minute defeat in League Cup Final but a return there a few weeks later for dramatic penalty shoot-out success in Scottish Cup Semi Final.

Great post. Sums up what a lot of us are feeling about this season. :top marks

Fife-Hibee
29-04-2016, 06:32 AM

Love it 10/10

matty_f
29-04-2016, 07:02 AM
2 cup finals, a battle for second that's going right to the wire, play-offs, Premiership scalps, derby domination, beating The Rangers twice...

Of course you can dwell on the frustrations, but there have been so many positives this season, loads of moments which have left us beaming with pride, and we have an incredible climax to the season.

s.a.m
29-04-2016, 07:46 AM
2 cup finals, a battle for second that's going right to the wire, play-offs, Premiership scalps, derby domination, beating The Rangers twice...

Of course you can dwell on the frustrations, but there have been so many positives this season, loads of moments which have left us beaming with pride, and we have an incredible climax to the season.

:agree:
And good OP. Have to say I'm shattered though - I think I'm going to need medication to get me through the last 3, 5 or 7 games:greengrin You can have too much excitement.:coffee:

Craig_in_Prague
29-04-2016, 09:50 AM
Henderson thinks the players are ready and see the season as 'starting now'

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/liam-henderson-hibs-season-begins-now-1-4113938

NAE NOOKIE
29-04-2016, 10:45 AM

:agree: ............ This season has been many things, but it could never be called boring that's for sure.

hibsmad
29-04-2016, 11:21 AM
If we win the Scottish Cup and get promoted it will be the best season I've experienced.

If we win the Scottish and don't get promoted it will still be one of the best (I'm just desperate to win that bloody cup!!!)

If we lose the Scottish and get promoted I'll simply feel relieved to be out this league.

If we win neither then it will be the worst I've experienced.

Basically, it could still go many different ways :greengrin

Dunedin Hibs
29-04-2016, 11:57 AM

Great post. It certainly is a life of highs and lows. Whatever happens I am always proud to wear the green and white of Hibernian...my team. I am coming back for the final and staying till after the play -off game - we will be there - then returning to New Zealand a happy man. In truth we have a great team, great manager, great support...we just all need to click together and get behind the mighty Hibs at this crucial time. Win or lose...I will forever support my team, as I know you will have given everything in the endeavour. We stand proudly behind this Hibs team and take the glory together, as well as any set backs and defeats. Let's give these rusty Huns a show...

tamig
29-04-2016, 04:03 PM

Its been an incredible season with more highs to date than I can recall in few other seasons. The major letdown has been the recent league form but we can still make this turn out to be one of the most memorable seasons of the last 40 or 50 years.

Pete
29-04-2016, 04:20 PM
If we win the Scottish Cup and get promoted it will be the best season I've experienced.

If we win the Scottish and don't get promoted it will still be one of the best (I'm just desperate to win that bloody cup!!!)

If we lose the Scottish and get promoted I'll simply feel relieved to be out this league.

If we win neither then it will be the worst I've experienced.

Basically, it could still go many different ways :greengrin

The worst ever?

What about that whole Terry Butcher thing? :greengrin

hibs0666
29-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Hope the cup final desperados make it along on Sunday. Easter Road is just down from London road by the way.

Eyrie
29-04-2016, 05:49 PM
Hope the cup final desperados make it along tomorrow. Easter Road it's just down from London road by the way.

I hope they don't turn up until Sunday :wink:

Sammy7nil
29-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Hope the cup final desperados make it along tomorrow. Easter Road it's just down from London road by the way.

Deary deary me :wink:

northstandhibby
29-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Just hope the players can find another gear at the business end of the season. :agree:

Nutmegged
29-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Sunday's match versus QOTS will be our 52nd game if you include all cup matches and the pre season friendlies. If we go all the way in the play offs from a 3rd place spot that will add another 6 games taking us to 58 with the final giving an overall match count of 59. Possibly the most amount of games played by any team in Britain this year? Maybe not as Liverpool and Man City have gone far in Europe but whatever, it's a huge amount of games. There is definitely a book waiting to be written on this most emotionally draining season if it all pans out as we'd like. I'll need a self help trauma recovery book if it all goes pear shaped though

You can't be counting Pre Season Friendlies, Sunday will be our 49th competitive game, at most we'll have to play 56 games, think Celtic will have played 57 competitive games by the end of the Season, hopefully we "only" have 54 games to contend with.

Man City will play 59 games at least, 60 games if they qualify for the Champions League Final but Liverpool will play at least 62 competitive games this Season, if they make the Europa League Final they'll have 63 games