PDA

View Full Version : Hibs 4 Celtic 3 - 1986 rare highlights

RoxburghHibs
27-04-2016, 02:03 PM
I just stumbed across this on Youtube....well worth a watch even if the quality is poor.

https://youtu.be/STK3V0iGF14

JimBHibees
27-04-2016, 02:13 PM
I just stumbed across this on Youtube....well worth a watch even if the quality is poor.

One of my most favourtie Hibs games. How dodgy and soft was the penalty that Celtic got near the end? Nothing changes.

Virginia Hibs
27-04-2016, 02:13 PM
IIRC there was a video tape of the full 90 mins available from an official source but this was quickly halted by the powers that be! That was before t'internet. That Eddie May goal lives long in the memory!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NAE NOOKIE
27-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Eddie May's goal that day is one of my greatest Hibs memories ............. get in :greengrin

RoxburghHibs
27-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if the League Cup Q-F tie from that season has any video? 4-4 game that we won on penalties against Celtic.

JimBHibees
27-04-2016, 02:17 PM
Eddie May's goal that day is one of my greatest Hibs memories ............. get in :greengrin

Yep the perfect response to the soft penalty just before. Can remember going absolutely mental at the game.

Who was it that crossed the ball in?

DaveSo
27-04-2016, 02:17 PM
I was at that game and have never seen any footage before until now.
Waited 30 years for it !
Think there was a tv blackout at the time and no games were on Sportscene/Scotsport. Imagine that these days.
It was some second half. The low of the dodgy dodgy Celtic penalty followed almost immediately with the glory of Eddie May's header.
Great day.

Spike Mandela
27-04-2016, 02:19 PM

What a great find. Cheers for posting.:aok:

BroxburnHibee
27-04-2016, 02:19 PM
IIRC there was a video tape of the full 90 mins available from an official source but this was quickly halted by the powers that be! That was before t'internet. That Eddie May goal lives long in the memory!

I bought that video (sadly long since lost) I don't think it was official and it was poor quality.

Lancs Harp
27-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Great clip.

We should bring back that grey and white strip.

Dan Sarf
27-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Now THAT'S how to go down for a penalty! (The Hibs one, obviously.)

Virginia Hibs
27-04-2016, 02:23 PM
It was official in that I think it was a Hibs camera on top of the old Radio Hibs box. The forerunner of Hibs Tv? The SFA and the tv companies stopped the sales I think. Copyright issues.

Giro Playboy
27-04-2016, 02:27 PM
That was a brilliant game. I'm sure it was shortly before or after the 4-4 league cup QF when we beat Celtic on penalties. Cowan and Durie up front were immense that season.

DaveF
27-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Some real blasts from the past there :greengrin

Looks like Police \ Ambulance staff clapping the 1st Hibs goal.

Ball boys going mental at the goals.

Photographer running about behind the goal at the penalty.

Rougie picking up a passback (younger readers need not ask :greengrin)

The footage looks like its from the 1880's rather than the 1980's. Brilliant!

McIntosh
27-04-2016, 02:32 PM
I recognised myself on the pitch at the end with Jason Beveridge who now a history teacher in West Lothian. The funniest thing at the end is the guy in the suit who goes up the tunnel and is flung out a few seconds later.

GreenLake
27-04-2016, 02:34 PM
They Celtic'd it.

Frazerbob
27-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Tremendous find!

I was watching my old man play rugby for Leith Accies at the old Hawkhill ground but ran up to ER at full time and got in when they opened the gates with about 15 minutes to go. Managed to see 3 goals. It was mental! That and the League Cup game earlier in the season were amazing.

hibs0666
27-04-2016, 03:45 PM
Does anyone know if the League Cup Q-F tie from that season has any video? 4-4 game that we won on penalties against Celtic.

Best Hibs game I've ever been to.

HIBERNIAN-0762
27-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I had the VHS tape which was in colour and was used for training purposes and there was no commentary, the tape lasted the full 90 minutes and showed the smellies invading the pitch at the end of the game, gave this tape to someone on here years ago who promised to transfer it on to DVD for me but never heard from him again :rolleyes:

It was mental in the East that day, what an atmosphere :not worth

Killiehibbie
27-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Yep the perfect response to the soft penalty just before. Can remember going absolutely mental at the game.

Who was it that crossed the ball in?
Super Joe knocked it out to Harris and May headed in the cross.

JimBHibees
27-04-2016, 04:07 PM
Super Joe knocked it out to Harris and May headed in the cross.

Colin Harris so it was.

HH81
27-04-2016, 04:10 PM
I had the VHS tape which was in colour and was used for training purposes and there was no commentary, the tape lasted the full 90 minutes and showed the smellies invading the pitch at the end of the game, gave this tape to someone on here years ago who promised to transfer it on to DVD for me but never heard from him again :rolleyes:

It was mental in the East that day, what an atmosphere :not worth

That is poor that someone would do that. What a clown!

wpj
27-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Best Hibs game I've ever been to.

Was that the Pearce O'Leary balloon penalty? What a match!

jodjam
27-04-2016, 04:22 PM

I've got it. Shows the fighting at the end also

Fife-Hibee
27-04-2016, 04:34 PM

Aye that would be it, two of my favourite hibs games :) great to see it again :)

Jumbo
27-04-2016, 04:39 PM

The Pearce O'Leary penalty was the League Cup earlier in same season

worcesterhibby
27-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Best bit is at about 2mins 20secs Hibs score through Chisholm from the corner and the referee awards the goal and then sets off like a hare for some reason. The players are milling about but that ref does an absolute Alan Wells to get back to the centre circle..the more you watch it the funnier it gets :greengrin

I love the two ball boys hugging each other and jumping up and down at the winner.

Ged
27-04-2016, 04:59 PM
That was a shrewd substitution by Blackley taking off Brazil and bringing on May and Harris :greengrin

The 80's were a bit bleak but that was a great game to be at.

Waxy
27-04-2016, 04:59 PM
One of my all time favorite matches.Never thought i'd see it on youtube though i knew it was videotaped.Thanks to whoever put it up.

Ps this is the only time we've knocked Celtic out the scottish cup since we won it in 02.daft wee stat that shouldnt be true but is.

Keith_M
27-04-2016, 05:31 PM

I was convinced we already had colour TV in them days but apparently I was wrong

:greengrin

scoopyboy
27-04-2016, 06:02 PM
I bought the full match video from Celtic News:greengrin

Scorrie
27-04-2016, 06:14 PM
One of my favourite nights at ER. Great stuff! Makes me feel old watching that though, football in black and white !

Hiber-nation
27-04-2016, 06:21 PM
One of my favourite nights at ER. Great stuff!

It was a Saturday afternoon but one of my favourite games!

It was the first time we could remember singing Hibs songs going out of the ground and along the road since the days of the Tornadoes.

Scorrie
27-04-2016, 06:24 PM
It was a Saturday afternoon but one of my favourite games!

It was the first time we could remember singing Hibs songs going out of the ground and along the road since the days of the Tornadoes.

Ah got confused with the 4-4 game which was at night. Doh!

Hiber-nation
27-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Ah got confused with the 4-4 game which was at night. Doh!

Easily done and another great game!

Sprouleflyer
27-04-2016, 06:56 PM
I have the full 90 mins on VHS in colour, well almost, the quality is very poor.

As someone else pointed out, it shows the Celtc fans invading the pitch at the end, something that they pretty much did if things didn't go their way in these days.

davidw
27-04-2016, 06:59 PM
I was at it. Was there with a friend from Newcastle who kept going on about how loud the noise of the crowd was at the end.

One of my memories was how crap Celtc were - especially defensively. Absolutely awful. And yet they went on to win the league that season (on the very last day if anyone remembers anything about it....)

pennyhibee
27-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Cannot believe it One of my favourite ever games never thought i'd see highlights of it That's me and my son jumping about like loonies at the winner Never forget the look on Roy Aitkens face as he failed to stop Eddie Mays' header crossing the line I'm sure Eddie and Colin Harris who crossed came on as subs A GREAT MEMORY:flag:

SuperAllyMcleod
27-04-2016, 07:13 PM
That was a great game with a fantastic atmosphere but one of the things that sticks in my mind is that whenever Celtic scored, one of their players would get the ball out of the back of the net and kick it to the corner flag - they are still just as sporting today.

hibs0666
27-04-2016, 07:16 PM

The very same. :-)

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-04-2016, 07:30 PM
What a day that was, the old east terracing at its very best! :party:

mmmmhibby
27-04-2016, 07:59 PM
Was at that game with my dad in the old main stand.

LaMotta
27-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Brilliant footage :thumbsup:

How amazing did the terracing in the corner look, and the East terrace in general.:hibees

But on the other hand, how crap was the bench seating in the cowshed - never really popular that part of the ground. Why were bench seats installed there? :confused:

Bishop Hibee
27-04-2016, 09:37 PM
I remember seeing this years ago. Mates dad had a copy of the goals. Good to see it resurface. Brilliant game and electric atmosphere throughout.

Torto7062
27-04-2016, 09:44 PM
I was a young lad when this game and the 4 all game were played and I wasn't allowed to go because it was against Smellic...need less to say I sat at my bedroom window down near Bernard St and listened to the Crowds roars in both games.....Then I became a Fan forever..
Hibee's Hibee's Hibee's

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Seekyit
27-04-2016, 09:51 PM
That was fab.

Cheers for that.

:flag:

Killiehibbie
28-04-2016, 07:33 AM
Brilliant footage :thumbsup:

How amazing did the terracing in the corner look, and the East terrace in general.:hibees

But on the other hand, how crap was the bench seating in the cowshed - never really popular that part of the ground. Why were bench seats installed there? :confused:Seats put in there to stop hooliganism.

scm70nyd1973
28-04-2016, 09:38 AM

Massive big thank you for this discovery :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: what a game that was - for some reason we were standing closer to the great unwashed than normal - the Glasgow Hibbys were usually under the TV gantry about half way up the terracing. I had a great view - well not so great as it was as soft as they come - of the soap dodger's joke of a penalty ! I was going mental but not as mental as I went just a few minutes later. I had forgotten about the stramash at the death.

I managed to get a copy of the video tape at the time and mine was utterly pants quality - lilac in colour and uber distorted - mine must have been a copy of a copy of a copy.

I also remember that I got a copy of David Francy's commentary of the game and his classic immediate post goal (the 7th and final one) statement of "55 seconds to go".

1986 was a good year for mental just mental ER celebrations - I was at the last game of the season ( v DUFC) and the first of the following (v the now defunct Glasgow team). Happy days.

Kato
28-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I bought that video (sadly long since lost) I don't think it was official and it was poor quality.

The quality of the one I has wasn't too bad, certainly better than the youtube one there (which isn't hard). Still great to see though. Kenny Waugh had a camera put above the old tunnel to film that game but this practice was stopped soon afterwards by the authorities.

In the original full-length video you can see white-hankies going up in the old enclosure to attract the medics after Hibs fourth goal as my mate Archie (Evil-Ertch, R.I.P.) broke his ankle celebrating Eddie May's winner.

Steve-O
28-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Have never seen that game. Why is it in black and white?! Also seems weird the cowshed is empty but rest of the ground is packed?!

Dan Sarf
28-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Have never seen that game. Why is it in black and white?! Also seems weird the cowshed is empty but rest of the ground is packed?!

For those of you watching in black and white, Hibs are wearing green. :greengrin

brog
28-04-2016, 11:16 AM
I was watching reports of game on TV in London, think 1980's very primitive Jeff Stelling, & they said Hibs have won it now, 3-2 with a minute or so to go. Couple of minutes later they said, confirmed now Hibs win 4-3 & I was WTF? My fav bit of that clip is the clown Roy Aitken protesting about being booked for a rugby tackle. 50 + caps for Scotland, unreal!

pennyhibee
28-04-2016, 12:56 PM
Have never seen that game. Why is it in black and white?! Also seems weird the cowshed is empty but rest of the ground is packed?!Think the cowshed was Hibskids that day

Famous_Fifer
28-04-2016, 01:29 PM
Wonderful memories of a great game. Travelled up from Portsmouth for the match and was still buzzing on the train back down on the Sunday. Hard to believe it was 30 years ago ☺

LaMotta
28-04-2016, 02:14 PM
Seats put in there to stop hooliganism.

How did it do that?! :confused: :greengrin

Keith_M
28-04-2016, 04:49 PM
How did it do that?! :confused: :greengrin

Apparently, in the days before segregation, that end of the ground was notorious for trouble. It was temporarily closed then seating put in (1974?).

Segregation was introduced a short time after but they never took the bench seats back out.

Although this is all passed on from my Dad, as my first game was '79.

Waxy
28-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Guess the cowshed was the place to be before it was benched. I can only remember it seated however i do remember the celtic 4-4 match. They were in the process of building the east shed so the cowshed was packed out along with the enclosure.Great atmosphere. Reckon Peirce Oleary was scared to score.

HibeeMassive
28-04-2016, 05:10 PM
I was mascot that day! :greengrin

I feel ancient seeing the footage though ...

LaMotta
28-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Apparently, in the days before segregation, that end of the ground was notorious for trouble. It was temporarily closed then seating put in (1974?).

Segregation was introduced a short time after but they never took the bench seats back out.

Although this is all passed on from my Dad, as my first game was '79.

Ah ok, cheers. My first game was 83 so only ever knew the benches. Would have loved to have seen a packed terraced cowshed back in the day!

Waxy
20-05-2016, 12:34 PM
Thought i'd bump this for anyone who missed it a few weeks ago.Classic Scottish cup tie and one of my personal favorite matches.