PDA

View Full Version : Stokes again

Ozyhibby
26-04-2016, 08:48 PM
I thought he was brilliant tonight. Worked his socks off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FromTheCapital
26-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Absolutely excellent tonight.

Libby Hibby
Outstanding...him and Keatings looked like a proper partnership tonight

Andy74
I thought he was brilliant tonight. Worked his socks off.

He did but we could do with him working less 40 yards from goal and getting in the box to score more goals.

Unseen work
26-04-2016, 08:50 PM
Great performance again and always looking for the ball.

Just wish he would stay a bit higher and not do so much flicks

hibee_girl
He was outstanding tonight, his performance deserved a goal

Off the bar
He was everywhere tonight well deserved his goal. He worked well with Stevenson, few nice flicks to each other

Heisenberg
26-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Best player on the pitch. By a long distance.

Thecat23
26-04-2016, 08:51 PM
He's been superb most of his games. His work rate has been great just seemed to be a myth that if he doesn't score he's played *****. Was getting beyond a joke from some.

SJM
26-04-2016, 08:52 PM
Class cat. Well under appreciated within the support.

Scooter
26-04-2016, 08:53 PM
I've said previously that our best partnership is Keatings and Stokes. Keatings is a better striker than Cummings no where near Cummings goals but as an all round striker Keatings is better brings more to the team. Keatings last start as a striker was the alloa game at home when we one 3-0

Thecat23
26-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Class cat. Well under appreciated within the support.

Big time.

oconnors_strip
Two people behind me were slating him every time he got the ball or even moved! So glad he got that goal to shut them up :greengrin

Think stokes' work rate is getting better and better every week. Hopefully this continues over the next few weeks

Peevemor
Yes he played well, but the sitter he missed was on a par with Jason's a few weeks ago.

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2016, 08:56 PM
Very very good performance. Has real class about him, superb work rate and always looking for the ball.

California-Hibs
26-04-2016, 09:00 PM
The guys simply an outstanding player that we're lucky to have. Some of the stuff thrown about by Hibs fans early on was laughable. He's fairly notching the goals up now. Almost double figures.

Boyle89
26-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Best I've seen from him tonight. Should've been motm. Certainly deserved a goal. His flicks were coming off. How'd he miss that chance at the back post though😩. Still well played stokes!!!

CorrieHibs
26-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Thought he was man of the match tonight.

Andy74
26-04-2016, 09:01 PM
The guys simply an outstanding player that we're lucky to have. Some of the stuff thrown about by Hibs fans early on was laughable. He's fairly notching the goals up now. Almost double figures.

It wasn't laughable. I don't think anyone said he wasn't a good player, just that he hadn't delivered enough. Which was true.

Whilst he got up to speed we lost a league.

dmc1875
26-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Yes he played well, but the sitter he missed was on a par with Jason's a few weeks ago.

No it wasn't not even close!

bingo70
26-04-2016, 09:11 PM
He did but we could do with him working less 40 yards from goal and getting in the box to score more goals.

My take on that was that he was trying to force up the intensity of our play. The midfield were content stroking square balls about so he felt he had to drop back in and force things to happen.

erin-go-bragh87
26-04-2016, 09:31 PM

I agree but I think his frustration and determination to score sees him drop deeper to get on the ball as the game goes on, especially if he's not getting a lot of service.

Tyler Durden
26-04-2016, 09:32 PM
My take on that was that he was trying to force up the intensity of our play. The midfield were content stroking square balls about so he felt he had to drop back in and force things to happen.

He does it nearly every game though.

I agree with Andy that we need him playing on the shoulder of the last defender more. However Stubbs seems happy to let him wander and get on the ball

Hiber-nation
26-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Played very well, worked hard, missed a sitter and has lost any pace he had, which is why he's with us.

andy1875
26-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Stokes is getting better with every passing game.

We keep hearing about "momentum" and how we need it to get promoted.

Well we have a quality striker hitting some really good form at the business end of the season. His goals and contribution could be the difference imo.

Smartie
26-04-2016, 09:43 PM
I'm normally critical of him when he goes wandering but I thought he dropped off to great effect tonight. Some of his turns, touches and flicked transformed our tippy-tappy sideways crap into something potent.

I still think he's at his most dangerous when left to poach around the box but he did well for us from further out tonight.

Libby Hibby
26-04-2016, 09:43 PM
The momentum is certainly beginning to build with us...unbeaten in how many now? 5 or something?

3pm
26-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Two people behind me were slating him every time he got the ball or even moved! So glad he got that goal to shut them up :greengrin

Think stokes' work rate is getting better and better every week. Hopefully this continues over the next few weeks

I had a good few moans about him tonight - but nobody was sitting in front of me!! :o)

Smartie
26-04-2016, 09:46 PM
If that's Stokes lazy and uninterested then I'd love to see him when he's in the mood.

Hibs Class
26-04-2016, 09:48 PM
MOTM for me

Pretty Boy
26-04-2016, 09:49 PM
If that's Stokes lazy and uninterested then I'd love to see him when he's in the mood.

How anyone could describe that performance as lazy and uniterested is beyond me. He worked his socks off tonight and more than deserved hos goal.

Monts
26-04-2016, 09:52 PM
I thought he started slowly, but really came onto a game. Had some great interplay and skills in the second half, and he more than deserved his goal. He should've buried the chance at the back post, but like a quality striker it didn't phase him and he kept going until he put one in.

stoneyburn hibs
26-04-2016, 09:53 PM
Not read the whole thread so don't know if been said. Stokes looks like he is coming on to his game, bubbling up just nicely for the play offs/ final.

Brightside
26-04-2016, 09:54 PM
An excellent performance from him.. worked hard...provided the quality that our midfield couldn't. Super player at times.

monktonharp
26-04-2016, 09:59 PM
Not read the whole thread so don't know if been said. Stokes looks like he is coming on to his game, bubbling up just nicely for the play offs/ final.:agree: second half performance was fantastic. he ran the show, and it's a pity he had to go back at times to drag the ball and his teammates into the action around the oppositions 18 yard line. 2 of our midfield men were anonymous most of the day.

macca70
26-04-2016, 10:00 PM
He was good but let's put this in perspective, he's an internationalist on about 10-15k a week playing against plumbers and Postman that train twice a week.

He was dropping deep and working hard to create opportunities but once we went 2-0 up in 12 mins, we should have been going into get at least 6/7.

Bishop Hibee
26-04-2016, 10:05 PM
Best player on the park tonight. Starting to find the form that shows why Stubbs brought him in. Better late than never!

monktonharp
26-04-2016, 10:10 PM
He was good but let's put this in perspective, he's an internationalist on about 10-15k a week playing against plumbers and Postman that train twice a week.

He was dropping deep and working hard to create opportunities but once we went 2-0 up in 12 mins, we should have been going into get at least 6/7.Agree that we should be beating plumbers, but posties are pretty fit especially if they have a lot of tenements on their run:greengrin However, yes we should have been going for 6 or 7 tonight. the high earner did his job, and looked the part but others around him were off the pace to say the least. disappointed that we did not see a change to go for more.

S.sct
26-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Maybe hitting form when it matters...

Leithenhibby
26-04-2016, 10:40 PM

I thought he looked more dangerous coming at them from a deeper role late on in the game.

Edit - He was my MOTM.

matty_f
26-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Stokes was excellent. Showed his class tonight.

Platinum Scotty
27-04-2016, 07:26 AM
looks like the other team didn't like how well he was playing..........and how was that not a booking or two for them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36079249

check out the pic half way down

Kaiserclem
27-04-2016, 07:31 AM
As said, I also thought Stokes played really well AGAIN tonight. This boy has been working and working his backside off for weeks. Agree also that he would be more dangerous in a central role. Has his time at Celtic playing wide left previously resulted in him naturally drifting / preferring out there? Keating played well also, Boyle started well linking with them both but drifted out the game until the last 15 mins again.

It's a hard one, because I think Cummings would have put away some of the balls that flashed across the box last night but wouldn't do a lot of the hard work that these guys are doing.

McGinn? I think the boy is shattered.

pacoluna
27-04-2016, 07:35 AM
Good win got the job done efficiently how in gods earth we have struggled away from home against them however is beyond belief.. they were murder.

Ozyhibby
27-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Good win got the job done efficiently how in gods earth we have struggled away from home against them however is beyond belief.. they were murder.

That's down to us. We have rarely played with the intensity we played with last night. If we had, we would not be in this situation now.

Phil MaGlass
27-04-2016, 09:18 AM
That's down to us. We have rarely played with the intensity we played with last night. If we had, we would not be in this situation now.

This.

snooky
27-04-2016, 09:49 AM

It looked to me that the tactics were definitely go for goals.
There was a 5 minute spell in the 2nd half when we were pummelling them and hit the woodwork. It was nice to hear the "Oooos" and "Aaahs" and feel some excitement again.
I canny be bothered with this passing back and forth in midfield and along the back four.
There's nae goalposts in the middle of the park.

Dublin07
27-04-2016, 11:19 AM

He was dropping deep and working hard to create opportunities but once we went 2-0 up in 12 mins, we should have been going into get at least 6/7.

We did go after 6/7. Their keeper had a at least 3 great saves. We hit the post and stokes missed an open goal.

Ozyhibby
27-04-2016, 11:25 AM
We did go after 6/7. Their keeper had a at least 3 great saves. We hit the post and stokes missed an open goal.

How can it be an open goal if the goalie saved it?

Eyrie
27-04-2016, 03:20 PM

I'd say the one Henderson put past the post in the first half looked easier than Stokes hitting the keeper from close range. Their keeper did well with the two free kicks though.

greenlex
27-04-2016, 03:31 PM
No questioning his work rate but I thought his passing and shooting (free kicks excepted) wasn't great. Opinions eh?

LaMotta
27-04-2016, 03:36 PM
No questioning his work rate but I thought his passing and shooting (free kicks excepted) wasn't great. Opinions eh?

He had some nice flicks but in general agree with you - have seen him play better this season!

familyman
27-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Seems to me at least A S has far more freedom when Cummings is not on the park, he roamed from left to right and picked up the pace while also picking up the ball from opposition by quick thinking....Keatings too seemed to relish the freedom....a better partnership last night for sure...although it must be said the midfield had more time enablimng a better build up than Falkirk would ever allow us..
Job well done though!

Smartie
27-04-2016, 03:51 PM

He gave the ball away a few times and he missed the odd chance so you have a point.

But when he gave the ball away we were generally trying some fairly intricate stuff against a packed defence so I think it is excusable giving the ball away from time to time. And he didn't really miss any sitters - I thought the goalkeeper did brilliantly from the "open goal".

I thought his flicks and turns about 40 yards or so out were different class - this is where we come unstuck all too often. There were cheeky, quick wee one-twos and turns and changes of pace that turned us from a lethargic, safe sideways-passing team into a far more direct one and for that I think he deserves massive credit.

It was one of the things that really impressed me about Malmo at Easter Road (sorry to bring up bad memories) - their ability to play simple, short, direct passes to feet that cut cut right through the middle of us. Their players had immaculate close control and an understanding of where one another were and we've seen that all too rarely from Hibs teams. I thought Stokes really stood out last night and his performance was what made that a far better team performance. Oh, and I don't think it is a coincidence that he looks better with Fyvie in the team as well - I think Fyvie has the energy, fitness and positivity to drive forward that we have lacked when he's been out the team.

number9dream
27-04-2016, 04:00 PM
An excellent performance from him.. worked hard...provided the quality that our midfield couldn't. Super player at times.

So do we play him deeper and get Cummings on with Keatings? Definitely worth trying against Queens since the whole tip of the diamond, attacking number 10 role has been a problem area all season.

Iggy Pope
27-04-2016, 04:08 PM

Is this an ongoing and perhaps ill informed myth? Trotted out anytime things haven't gone our way. I've seen Hibs in the second tier for exactly four full seasons now, including this one, since 1980, and at no time have we battered the opposition weekly to the figures anticipated by this sort of bollox. Part time club I know, but are the likes of Nade, Darren Barr, Mark Brown and Paul Heffernan really working the sites? Are they ****.

Ged
27-04-2016, 04:14 PM
How anyone could describe that performance as lazy and uniterested is beyond me. He worked his socks off tonight and more than deserved hos goal.

Did I hear the guy behind us last night correctly when he said..... "I don't rate him. He's a brilliant player, but he's shíte".

GreenLake
27-04-2016, 04:23 PM
Stokes was like the Spanish Inquisition last night - nobody expected him. He took the ball off a few defenders when he was a few yards away from them to start with.

Pretty Boy
27-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Did I hear the guy behind us last night correctly when he said..... "I don't rate him. He's a brilliant player, but he's shíte".
Probably. It's about their level.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

emerald green
27-04-2016, 05:29 PM
I would love to see Stokes rip the new club a new one on cup final day.

truehibernian
27-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I would love to see Stokes rip the new club a new one on cup final day.

He's certainly fitter, sharper and looks hungry - hopefully hitting this crucial period at the right time. I like his link up with Keatings I have to say. The only mild irritation is both drop a little deep (and wide) to collect and often we've not got anyone in that 6 yard box to hit.

Like you I'd love to see him bag the winner versus The Rangers.

hibsbollah
27-04-2016, 06:32 PM
I honestly can't think of a game where he WASN'T good, or at least decent. He was good from day one. However, Listening to the crowd there are plenty of loudmouths who don't like him and are desperate to let you know about it.

jacomo
27-04-2016, 06:56 PM
I honestly can't think of a game where he WASN'T good, or at least decent. He was good from day one. However, Listening to the crowd there are plenty of loudmouths who don't like him and are desperate to let you know about it.

Really?

Delighted he's now getting better, but good from day one? Nope.

dp00
27-04-2016, 07:30 PM
To me it's like he is thinking that there is a new Celtic manager on the way and he needs to impress if he wants to go back, and I can live with that