PDA

View Full Version : Goal difference of 7

Diclonius
26-04-2016, 10:26 AM
Falkirk are on +26 at the moment, and we are on +19. We have both conceded the same amount of goals. If we win both of our games in the run-in, and they win theirs, we can conceivably still finish second if we deliver total hammerings to both Dumbarton and QOS. I can see QOS being far more defensively robust so we'll need to blow away Dumbarton if we want a good chance of 2nd come Saturday. 5/6-0 minimum.

Unfortunately, I can't see up doing it.

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2016, 10:28 AM
Falkirk are on +26 at the moment, and we are on +19. We have both conceded the same amount of goals. If we win both of our games in the run-in, and they win theirs, we can conceivably still finish second if we deliver total hammerings to both Dumbarton and QOS. I can see QOS being far more defensively robust so we'll need to blow away Dumbarton if we want a good chance of 2nd come Saturday. 5/6-0 minimum.

Neither can I. I don't see us going for broke tonight, and the Dumbarton manager has said he will play a full strength team tonight and set his team up to frustrate us.

Ozyhibby
26-04-2016, 10:30 AM
Stubbs can't set up a team to score goals. It's not going to happen. We need to hope Morton do the business against Falkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lucky
26-04-2016, 10:33 AM
Hibs will hammer Dumbarton by 6 and Queens by 2 to scrape over the line. It's the Hibernian way

Diclonius
26-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Hibs will hammer Dumbarton by 6 and Queens by 2 to scrape over the line. It's the Hibernian way

Hibs will beat Dumbarton 6-0, cutting it to +1.

The final game of the season, Hibs will be 3-0 up on QOS whilst Falkirk are drawing 1-1. We're on +28 and they're still on +26.

In the final minute of both games, Falkirk will score a last minute winner (Lee Miller) and the entire Hibs defense will capitulate, allowing Queens to score to make it 3-1. Both goal differences will be at +27, as will goals scored - leaving us to play a one-off decider at Tynecastle with Falkirk to determine who finishes 2nd and doesn't have to to play Raith Rovers.

I guarantee it.

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Hibs will beat Dumbarton 6-0, cutting it to +1.

The final game of the season, Hibs will be 3-0 up on QOS whilst Falkirk are drawing 1-1. We're on +28 and they're still on +26.

In the final minute of both games, Falkirk will score a last minute winner (Lee Miller) and the entire Hibs defense will capitulate, allowing Queens to score to make it 3-1. Both goal differences will be at +27, as will goals scored - leaving us to play a one-off decider at Tynecastle with Falkirk to determine who finishes 2nd and doesn't have to to play Raith Rovers.

I guarantee it.[/COLOR]

I would assume in your example, they would look at our head to head, in which case we would be 2nd :wink:

Andy74
26-04-2016, 10:42 AM
We are unlikely to start now but you never know.

Moulin Yarns
26-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Stubbs can't set up a team to score goals. It's not going to happen. We need to hope Morton do the business against Falkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Morton have still to beat Falkirk this season, 1 draw an 2 defeats :rolleyes:

lapsedhibee
26-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Morton have still to beat Falkirk this season, 1 draw an 2 defeats :rolleyes:

There you go then, a precedent's been set.

:flag:

GreenCastle
26-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Dumbarton have also beat Hibs twice this season.

The windy weather isn't going to help tonight.

A goal rout would definitely add to confidence but can't see it happening.

GreenLake
26-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Instead of constantly trying to break down 10 men behind the ball we could cleverly lose possession and catch them on the break when we get it back.

Moulin Yarns
26-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Instead of constantly trying to break down 10 men behind the ball we could cleverly lose possession and catch them on the break when we get it back.

I thought about that tactic too, but it will be like this, Hibs sit back and let Dumbarton have possession with the aim to hit on the counter, while Dumbarton sit with 10 men behind the ball and it gets punted back and forward like a hot potato.

Diclonius
26-04-2016, 11:11 AM
I would assume in your example, they would look at our head to head, in which case we would be 2nd :wink:

Didn't think of that - are those the rules?

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2016, 11:16 AM

Not sure to be honest. It would seem the sensible option seeing as the first play off game is 3 days later, but you'll probably find our governing body don't even have that written in the rulebook just in case.

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2016, 11:22 AM

Just had a look. It seems it is the rules :agree:

If any two or more Clubs are equal in points
in any Division at the end of the Season
or, as the case may be, after 33 League Matches for each Club in the Premiership
the higher placed Club shall be the Club with the larger or largest positive goal
difference (or the lower or lowest negative goal dif
ference where appropriate).
Goal difference shall be determined by deducting the goals conceded from the
goals scored in all League Matches played during the Season or, as the case may be,
after 33 League Matches for each Club in the Premiership. In the
event of the goal
difference being equal, the higher placed Club shall be the Club, which has scored
the most goals in League Matches during the Season
or, as the case may be,
in the
first 33 League Matches for each Club in
the Premiership
. In the event of
each of the
Clubs having the scored the same number of goals in League Matches during the
Season or, as the case may be,
in the first 33 League Matches for each Club in the
Premiership, the higher placed Club shall be the Club, having the greater number o
f
points in League Matches between the relevant Clubs in the Season in question or,
as the case may be,
after 33 League Matches for each Club in the Premiership and
in the event of the number of such points being equal the higher placed Club shall
be the C
lub with the larger or largest positive goal difference (or the lower or
lowest negative goal difference where appropriate) in League Matches between
the relevant Clubs in the Season
or, as the case may be,
in the first 33 League
Matches for each Club in
t
he Premiership
. Goal difference shall be determined by
deducting the goals conceded from the goals scored in League Matches played
during the Season or, as the case may be,
in the first 33 League Matches for each
Club in
the Premiership
between the Clubs
concerned.

Col2
26-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Dumbarton have also beat Hibs twice this season.

The windy weather isn't going to help tonight.

A goal rout would definitely add to confidence but can't see it happening.

Wind tails off before kick off so light breeze.

Captain Trips
26-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Remember if Falkirk win you need to add on their goals or goal to their goal difference.

AndyB_70
26-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Hibs goal rout. Oh my sides....... :greengrin :greengrin :greengrin :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
26-04-2016, 02:45 PM

hahahah... that was the very first thing I thought

JimBHibees
26-04-2016, 02:47 PM

Remember when we went months on end of not scoring years ago and then horsed Kilmarnock 8-1. Can remember getting on a bus after the game and the driver asking me the score and he just burst out laughing thinking I was lying to him? :greengrin

monktonharp
26-04-2016, 02:58 PM
Remember when we went months on end of not scoring years ago and then horsed Kilmarnock 8-1. Can remember getting on a bus after the game and the driver asking me the score and he just burst out laughing thinking I was lying to him? :greengrinyup, I took my youngest, I think to that. told him we always win like this:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Spike Mandela
26-04-2016, 03:03 PM
On current form we'll be lucky if goal difference isn't 8 by the end of the night.:cb

Pete
26-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Eight goals will be too much to overhaul so I think it's just about the three points tonight and seeing if morton can help us out.

Part of me actually wishes we were even further behind Falkirk so we could give everyone a much needed rest for the raith tie. If we go full pelt in the next two games and still end up third I fear we'll fall short in the long run.

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Are you sure about that? I read on here that Houston was a tactical genius and had the upper hand on Stubbs?

greenlex
26-04-2016, 04:45 PM
We should just get about it gun Ho. If we do that we so t get beats tonight eve if we dose finish third no after what as I can't see Falkirk not getting three points at the weekend. Nothing to lose IMO we should be trying to overhaul that difference tonight. No question. Same again on Saturday.0

Andy74
26-04-2016, 05:17 PM
Are you sure about that? I read on here that Houston was a tactical genius and had the upper hand on Stubbs?

Well one of them is up for manager of the year.

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2016, 05:20 PM
Well one of them is up for manager of the year.

No denying that. It'll look ridiculous if we get promoted and win the cup.

SJM
26-04-2016, 05:21 PM
No denying that. It'll look ridiculous if we get promoted and win the cup.

There will be more chance of Falkirk going up unless they blow it against Morton at the weekend.

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2016, 05:23 PM
There will be more chance of Falkirk going up unless they blow it against Morton at the weekend.

The bookies odds will be lower anyway.

Danderhall Hibs
26-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Anyway hopefully we can get a few goals tonight to put them under pressure. We could pay for being lacklustre earlier in the season if we don't.

Where are all the "if we win 1-0 every week..." guys now? :greengrin

SJM
26-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Anyway hopefully we can get a few goals tonight to put them under pressure. We could pay for being lacklustre earlier in the season if we don't.

Where are all the "if we win 1-0 every week..." guys now? :greengrin

That should be the plan. Get a few goals the night, promise we go for it on Sunday and the there might even be a good few more fans in support.

Diclonius
26-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Down to 3 now!

Captain Trips
26-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Down to 3 now!

Indeed, our best bet is Falkirk dont win because if its down to goal difference it means Falkirk won last match as well so they will have scored at least one themselves.

Diclonius
26-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Indeed, our best bet is Falkirk dont win because if its down to goal difference it means Falkirk won last match as well so they will have scored at least one themselves.

Yup - if we win by three goals more than they win (i.e. 4-0 to 1-0) we're second. It's remote, but possible.

Biggie
26-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Just shows what a catastrophe losing that 2 goal lead was to Falkirk...anyway we've given ourselves a chance.

Nicho87
26-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Falkirk 1-0 Morton
Hibs 4-0 qots

Same goals for, against and goal difference

danhibees1875
26-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Falkirk 1-0 Morton
Hibs 4-0 qots

Same goals for, against and goal difference

Yep.

Head to head? Hibs go 2nd thanks to a 1-0 win in October?

Nicho87
26-04-2016, 09:28 PM
I believe so

NYHibby
26-04-2016, 09:54 PM
Just shows what a catastrophe losing that 2 goal lead was to Falkirk...anyway we've given ourselves a chance.

I don't think you can single out just that game. We have won two more games than Falkirk this season. They just drew 6 more games than us. Most of the games we lost we only lost by 1 goal. A one goal difference in any one of those losses or in one of Falkirk's 6 draws would have put us in control of our own destiny.

Andy74
26-04-2016, 09:57 PM
I don't think you can single out just that game. We have won two more games than Falkirk this season. They just drew 6 more games than us. Most of the games we lost we only lost by 1 goal. A one goal difference in any one of those losses or in one of Falkirk's 6 draws would have put us in control of our own destiny.

Put another way we've lost twice as many games in this league than Falkirk. That's why we are currently third.

Spike Mandela
26-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Just have a feeling that we haven't done quite enough to snatch 2nd place. plenty of opportunities over the season but carelessness has cost us.

Still, you never know.

CallumLaidlaw
26-04-2016, 10:01 PM

I would single that game out. 2 goals up with 4 minutes left against ten men. We'd now be 3pts ahead if we could have cleared our lines or kept hold of the ball

surreyhibbie
27-04-2016, 06:40 AM
Goal difference is 3. Surely if we win 2-0 and they lose 2-0 we are second?

Pete
27-04-2016, 06:41 AM

Goal difference won't come into it if our results are different.

ACLeith
27-04-2016, 06:42 AM

Level on points so whoever gets the better result in Sunday is 2nd

surreyhibbie
27-04-2016, 06:44 AM
Goal difference won't come into it if our results are different.

Yeah, of course. Stupid me!
:greengrin

DH1875
27-04-2016, 07:05 AM
Falkirk will win by at least 2 goals so your realistically looking at us needing 5 or more, just can't see it.

Keith_M
27-04-2016, 07:13 AM
Falkirk will win by at least 2 goals so your realistically looking at us needing 5 or more, just can't see it.

TBF, a lot of us said we had little chance of scoring more than two tonight... including me :greengrin

Anyway, let's start with Keatings and Stokes up front & Logan in goals against QOtS and see what happens.

IberianHibernian
27-04-2016, 08:52 AM
So Hibs 4 QOS 0 and Falkirk 1 Morton 0 we finish second ( head to head ) but Hibs 4 QOS 0 and Falkirk 2 Morton 1 Falkirk finish second ( same goal difference but they`d have scored more ) .