PDA

View Full Version : League run in All out attack.

Wellbankhibby
24-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Putting aside the Scottish cup final, I'm amazed there are few post regards our league run in.
I think we should play all out attack against Dumbarton and try to reduce the goal difference Falkirk have over us. There is nothing to lose. Of course the important issue is winning the game so we are equal points but that leaves the Bairns finishing in second place if they match our result on Sunday.
you never know if we were to blitz Dumbarton the pressure would all be on Falkirk. Nothing to lose now I hope Stubbsie goes all out attack. :flag:

djs69
24-04-2016, 08:49 PM
We haven't blitzed a team all season, not going to happen

Wellbankhibby
24-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Nothing to lose now, we have to make a real effort now

Sir David Gray
24-04-2016, 09:04 PM
I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if we win by anything more than two goals on Tuesday night.

For some reason we are unable to create many chances during games and don't have many shots on target either.

Our only chance of getting second spot is by Morton taking something from Falkirk next Sunday. We aren't going to beat them on goal difference.

biotech
24-04-2016, 09:09 PM
We simply don't have the legs to blitz team.

H18 SFR
24-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Putting aside the Scottish cup final, I'm amazed there are few post regards our league run in.
I think we should play all out attack against Dumbarton and try to reduce the goal difference Falkirk have over us. There is nothing to lose. Of course the important issue is winning the game so we are equal points but that leaves the Bairns finishing in second place if they match our result on Sunday.
you never know if we were to blitz Dumbarton the pressure would all be on Falkirk. Nothing to lose now I hope Stubbsie goes all out attack. :flag:

Sadly I'm not even convinced we are capable of winning two games on the bounce let alone overturning a goal difference of so many goals.

Ged
24-04-2016, 09:12 PM

The responses so far are sadly predictable. I wonder if the team have given up too?

erin go bragh
24-04-2016, 09:13 PM
When we last played Alloa at ER . We scored three but could have hit five or six . Boyle and Carmichael ran riot as wing backs .
We need pace to score more goals . So Boyle has to start imo .

GGTTH

Ronniekirk
24-04-2016, 09:15 PM
I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if we win by anything more than two goals on Tuesday night.

For some reason we are unable to create many chances during games and don't have many shots on target either.

Our only chance of getting second spot is by Morton taking something from Falkirk next Sunday. We aren't going to beat them on goal difference.

You are like me Trig Still suffering from the Morton Blues
I predicted we would win that one 4 0 Shows what i know
I think stubbs might just freshen things up v Dumbarton and we could be pleasantly surprised
But tend to agree we now need Morton to do us a favour

Captain Trips
24-04-2016, 09:17 PM
The responses so far are sadly predictable. I wonder if the team have given up too?

You tell me what they (the players) have been doing the last 7/8 games before any mention of fans giving up.

Lago
24-04-2016, 09:35 PM
The results speak for themselves, unfortunately.

flash
24-04-2016, 09:51 PM
You tell me what they (the players) have been doing the last 7/8 games before any mention of fans giving up.

Beating Rangers, winning away at Inverness, getting to the Cup Final.
Hardly the actions of a team that has given up.

J-C
24-04-2016, 10:12 PM
Beating Rangers, winning away at Inverness, getting to the Cup Final.
Hardly the actions of a team that has given up.

At this moment we seem to be a team that only gets up for big games, when we really need to win it's just another lacklustre game, even when Stubbs changes to the 3-5-2 we all wanted, we still couldn't get the job done.

Andy74
24-04-2016, 11:04 PM
What does all out attack entail for us?

Adding Dagnall and Keatings maybe?

Libby Hibby
25-04-2016, 05:20 AM
3-4-3 for me

Ox

Gunner, McGregor, Hanlon (c)

Fyvie (Holding)
Boye, McGinn, Henderson
Keatings, Stokes, Cummings

Hiber-nation
25-04-2016, 06:23 AM
At this moment we seem to be a team that only gets up for big games, when we really need to win it's just another lacklustre game, even when Stubbs changes to the 3-5-2 we all wanted, we still couldn't get the job done.

Rather than "big" games I'd say it was games where the opposition gives us some space to play that we've had some success. It's the games against the stuffy teams that have let us down badly.

A couple of early goals and who knows.... :greengrin

3pm
25-04-2016, 06:27 AM
We're not going to overturn the goal difference, that's me just being realistic.

What's our highest win in this league in the 2 years? A 4-0 v Alloa last season rings a bell. Highest this year? 3-0 on a few occasions. There was a 4-1 as well.

Even if Falkirk win 1-0, you are looking at us winning 5-0 in two consecutive games.

It's not happening. Win the 2 games and hope Falkirk slip is our only realistic chance.

Keith_M
25-04-2016, 06:33 AM
In how many league games this season have we scored more than 2 goals? I can't remember very many.

I don't think our team are designed for all out attack. We couldn't even score one goal on Saturday.

Libby Hibby
25-04-2016, 07:26 AM
We're not going to overturn the goal difference, that's me just being realistic.

What's our highest win in this league in the 2 years? A 4-0 v Alloa last season rings a bell. Highest this year? 3-0 on a few occasions. There was a 4-1 as well.

Even if Falkirk win 1-0, you are looking at us winning 5-0 in two consecutive games.

It's not happening. Win the 2 games and hope Falkirk slip is our only realistic chance.

If you provide the rope, I'll provide the tree.....

Tend to agree with you but we need to believe that one game it will all click into place.

Brightside
25-04-2016, 07:33 AM
2-5-3

McGregor - Hanlon

Boyle Henderson Bartley McGinn Stevenson

Cummings Stokes Shaw.

Shot on sight.

Big_Franck
25-04-2016, 08:50 AM
It will hopefully benefit us that Dumbarton are now safe. They are 8 points clear of Livingston and they both have two games to play. Hopefully the Dumbarton players were out celebrating at the weekend and are still recovering :greengrin

Otherwise we'll probably win 2-1.

erin go bragh
25-04-2016, 09:05 AM
It will hopefully benefit us that Dumbarton are now safe. They are 8 points clear of Livingston and they both have two games to play. Hopefully the Dumbarton players were out celebrating at the weekend and are still recovering :greengrin

Otherwise we'll probably win 2-1.

Hopefully they have a go , now their safe . None of this 10 players behind the ball pisss .

GGTTH

J-C
25-04-2016, 09:42 AM
Rather than "big" games I'd say it was games where the opposition gives us some space to play that we've had some success. It's the games against the stuffy teams that have let us down badly.

A couple of early goals and who knows.... :greengrin

:agree: I'd say a bit of both, listened on saturday and they were saying there seemed little drive from us, all too slow and predictable again until McGinn came on. This has been our problem for 2 seasons now, slow predictable build up, when we've played teams in a higher league the tempo is set as these teams generally start out that way, so makes us play with that high tempo. Rangers and Hearts both played a high tempo fast attacking game and strolled the league, we on the other hand play a nice tippy tappy slow build up game which struggles against 10 men defences, pace and urgency have never been looked at.

Ozyhibby
25-04-2016, 12:58 PM
:agree: I'd say a bit of both, listened on saturday and they were saying there seemed little drive from us, all too slow and predictable again until McGinn came on. This has been our problem for 2 seasons now, slow predictable build up, when we've played teams in a higher league the tempo is set as these teams generally start out that way, so makes us play with that high tempo. Rangers and Hearts both played a high tempo fast attacking game and strolled the league, we on the other hand play a nice tippy tappy slow build up game which struggles against 10 men defences, pace and urgency have never been looked at.

It's not going to happen under this manager. We just have to hope we can get through the play offs by the odd goal in each tie.
Come the summer, we seriously need to change, whether we go up or not.

Big_Franck
25-04-2016, 01:41 PM
It's not going to happen under this manager. We just have to hope we can get through the play offs by the odd goal in each tie.
Come the summer, we seriously need to change, whether we go up or not.

Agree with the first part - can't really see us hammering anyone. I disagree with your second point though. If we go up Stubbs would deserve the chance to manage us in the Premiership and I think he'd do well.

If we don't go up we'd need a manager who knows how to put together a squad and set up our team to break down teams that sit in and defend. Stubbs has shown over two seasons that he has no idea how to do that.

brog
25-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Agree with the first part - can't really see us hammering anyone. I disagree with your second point though. If we go up Stubbs would deserve the chance to manage us in the Premiership and I think he'd do well.

If we don't go up we'd need a manager who knows how to put together a squad and set up our team to break down teams that sit in and defend. Stubbs has shown over two seasons that he has no idea how to do that.

Yep, that's why we've lost 1 home game & won 17 out of 22 all season, because AS has no idea how to beat teams that sit in ( nearly every team that comes to ER ). Apart from the loss to Morton we drew with Falkirk twice, St M & ICT in the cup. There's perceptions & then there's facts.

Smartie
25-04-2016, 02:15 PM

Stubbs has had a poor January transfer window and an iffy second half of this season.

I had no complaints about the first half of this season - we were beating teams consistently and had a great chance to steal a march on Rangers at Christmas that we didn't take. I'm not fussed about us not crushing teams - I'm more bothered that we're not beating teams. Rangers and Hearts haven't crushed teams, they consistently won, sometimes by the odd goal and they've done it consistently away from home as well as at home. That's what we need to do, not getting ridiculous delusions that we should be pumping teams.

Given where we were when Stubbs took over I thought last season was acceptable too.

Stubbs isn't the finished article yet, not by a long shot. But I think his hands are tied currently by the players he has fit and available - I reckon that's whey we've seen the diamond more often than we'd have wanted and even when he went to the 3-5-2 we were all crying out for we still struggled to break down Morton.

I have no doubt that irrespective of what happens between now and the end of the season that if Stubbs stays and takes us into next season he will be under no illusion that we have to introduce more pace, width, urgency and intensity into our play.

Big_Franck
25-04-2016, 02:53 PM
[/B]Yep, that's why we've lost 1 home game & won 17 out of 22 all season, because AS has no idea how to beat teams that sit in ( nearly every team that comes to ER ). Apart from the loss to Morton we drew with Falkirk twice, St M & ICT in the cup. There's perceptions & then there's facts.

True, the results of the home games in the main have been good this season. Having said that in a lot of those games we struggled to break teams down when Rangers, and Hearts last season, romped most of them.

Also, Stubbs' away record this season (7 wins in 18 league games) is poor at this level.

There can be no argument that we struggle more than we should to put teams away at this level. We are where are right now because we consistently struggle to break down defensive teams in the league.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 02:57 PM
2-5-3

McGregor - Hanlon

Boyle Henderson Bartley McGinn Stevenson

Cummings Stokes Shaw.

Shot on sight.

2-3-5

Oxley
Stevenson Hanlon
McGinn Bartley Fyvie
Smith Johnstone Reilly Turnbull Ormond

:aok:

Big_Franck
25-04-2016, 03:06 PM
Stubbs has had a poor January transfer window and an iffy second half of this season.

I had no complaints about the first half of this season - we were beating teams consistently and had a great chance to steal a march on Rangers at Christmas that we didn't take. I'm not fussed about us not crushing teams - I'm more bothered that we're not beating teams. Rangers and Hearts haven't crushed teams, they consistently won, sometimes by the odd goal and they've done it consistently away from home as well as at home. That's what we need to do, not getting ridiculous delusions that we should be pumping teams.

Given where we were when Stubbs took over I thought last season was acceptable too.

Stubbs isn't the finished article yet, not by a long shot. But I think his hands are tied currently by the players he has fit and available - I reckon that's whey we've seen the diamond more often than we'd have wanted and even when he went to the 3-5-2 we were all crying out for we still struggled to break down Morton.

I have no doubt that irrespective of what happens between now and the end of the season that if Stubbs stays and takes us into next season he will be under no illusion that we have to introduce more pace, width, urgency and intensity into our play.

Really? Rangers were almost out of sight before the season had even properly begun. We started the season poorly in my opinion, as we did last season.

Stubbs has had four transfer windows and decent backing to build a squad capable of dealing with these teams and getting us out of this league. The next month will decide his fate IMO.

Colr
25-04-2016, 03:13 PM
We haven't blitzed a team all season, not going to happen

But Rangers have and Hearts did the year before. We need footballing blitzkrieg in this league and we're serving up figure skating.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Really? Rangers were almost out of sight before the season had even properly begun. We started the season poorly in my opinion, as we did last season.

Stubbs has had four transfer windows and decent backing to build a squad capable of dealing with these teams and getting us out of this league. The next month will decide his fate IMO.

Yes! We were level on points at 17 games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35078910

Big_Franck
25-04-2016, 03:17 PM
Yes! We were level on points at 17 games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35078910

I know that, we were level going in to the rangers game on 28th December. But we started poorly (after all the chat of hitting the ground running this time) and caught up with Rangers when we started our good run.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 03:18 PM
I know that, we were level going in to the rangers game on 28th December. But we started poorly (after all the chat of hitting the ground running this time) and caught up with Rangers when we started our good run.

We did, but it was only a few games and the Scott Allan saga had a lot to do with it.

Ozyhibby
25-04-2016, 03:19 PM
Last season we only conceded 6 more goals than Hearts. Our main problem was that we did not score nearly enough goals. We only scored 70 compared to their 96.
We only averaged 1.94 goals per game.
It was clear for everyone to see during the summer that we would need to score more goals per game this season. In fact it has got worse. We have only scored 55 with two games to go. We are now only scoring 1.55 goals per game.
This is a massive failure for the management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
25-04-2016, 03:20 PM
We did, but it was only a few games and the Scott Allan saga had a lot to do with it.

Fine margins when you want to win a league. We needed an great run just to catch up then when you get a blip you've no leeway.

We started badly and we are finishing just as badly.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 03:28 PM
Fine margins when you want to win a league. We needed an great run just to catch up then when you get a blip you've no leeway.

We started badly and we are finishing just as badly.

Finishing really really badly with not so much a blip as a full scale collapse.

I think to stand a chance of winning the league against the new Huns we needed to do what Hearts did last year, put out a shadow side and go out of both cups early.

brog
25-04-2016, 05:02 PM
We've finished above Sevco 3 times in the last 60 years & one of those was last season. We were always long odds on to be seeking promotion through the play offs so I'm not sure how reaching that stage can be described as a massive failure. Let's wait until the season is over before passing judgement on our success or otherwise.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 05:07 PM
We've finished above Sevco 3 times in the last 60 years & one of those was last season. We were always long odds on to be seeking promotion through the play offs so I'm not sure how reaching that stage can be described as a massive failure. Let's wait until the season is over before passing judgement on our success or otherwise.

Promotion is success.
Promotion plus 2 cup finals is roaring success.
Promotion plus a Scottish cup is unprecedented* success.

Failure in the play offs plus 2 cup final losses is abject, unmitigated, irredeemable failure.

Fine lines.. :wink:

*well more or less, apart from the lucky few senior Hibbies blessed with good memories.

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 05:09 PM

They've only been around for 4! And we finished above them for 3 of those. This season is unprecedented failure already. :wink:

Iggy Pope
25-04-2016, 06:55 PM
They've only been around for 4! And we finished above them for 3 of those. This season is unprecedented failure already. :wink:

Maybe if we crammed 50k into the place like they do, we could crow about their relatively new existence. Maybe if half the unbearable whingebags on this site stepped away from their keyboards and sat back in their seats at ER now and again we'd have something ***** like 10k crammed in more often.
And this is not for an uber Hibby or 'blame the fans' response and so on.... That is truly boring. They are a far bigger club than Hibs are. Always have been. Naive to think anything else, although it works great for point scoring when you are unlucky enough to meet one of them. Broq's point is irrefutable in my opinion. And if the ******* Huns were in our position (as they were last year, and without a cup final to come) they'd be keeping their bollox in place where some of us are eagerly losing ours.