PDA

View Full Version : NHC Interesting article about football fans and expectations

The Green Goblin
24-04-2016, 10:09 AM
There's a lot of debate on here every day about whether criticising the coach/team/club is justified or counter-productive etc. Some very interesting points and situations described here in this article. It is NHC, but you can relate much of the content to us right now, for good or bad. Imho, it also shows that this perception many people somehow have of us as the only group of fans who moan about stuff and turn on our own with little reason to do so is way off.

http://gu.com/p/4tt68?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Hibernia&Alba
24-04-2016, 10:22 AM
I agree with you, regarding the perception of Hibs fans as impatient. Look what we've endured in the past decade: relegation, numerous Hampden defeats, and now the possibility of a third season in the Championship, yet there hasn't been a mutiny within the support. At many clubs comparable to Hibs there would have been protests and a far more unpleasant atmosphere at games. I think we've demonstrated forbearance in the past few years.

emerald green
24-04-2016, 11:27 AM
I've been saying for ages that Hibs supporters are no different from supporters of any other club. If anything, it seems to me anyway, Hibs fans are more tolerant of failure than many others. Possibly because they now have much lower expectations?

Imagine Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Martin O'neill all getting abuse, given their records in the game! Hibs on the other hand have had, in recent years, the likes of Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher.

DUX
24-04-2016, 11:34 AM
I've been saying for ages that Hibs supporters are no different from supporters of any other club. If anything, it seems to me anyway, Hibs fans are more tolerant of failure than many others. Possibly because they now have much lower expectations?

Imagine Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Martin O'neill all getting abuse, given their records in the game! Hibs on the other hand have had, in recent years, the likes of Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher.

I can't remeber Colin Calderwood's background of management before ER and felt he was like a fish out of water, however Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher both had relative success before ER and in Pat's case think he was more pishing against the wind and feel sorry for him while there's not any real defence to be made for TB.

KeithTheHibby
24-04-2016, 11:36 AM
I can't remeber Colin Calderwood's background of management before ER and felt he was like a fish out of water, however Pat Fenlon and Terry Butcher both had relative success before ER and in Pat's case think he was more pishing against the wind and feel sorry for him while there's not any real defence to be made for TB.

Calderwood as a manager in his own right won promotion with Northampton and Forest. His track record is arguably the best of the most recent appointments.

Pretty Boy
24-04-2016, 11:38 AM
The paragraph about Wenger reads, in many ways, like it could have been written about Alan Stubbs.

On the whole it's an interesting read.

DUX
24-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Calderwood as a manager in his own right won promotion with Northampton and Forest. His track record is arguably the best of the most recent appointments.

I could'nt remember much of CC's record and with that background should surely have done much better at ER than he did.

I still think Pat had a bit of a raw deal slightly but others may have a different viewpoint.

nickwhibs
24-04-2016, 11:50 AM
There's a lot of debate on here every day about whether criticising the coach/team/club is justified or counter-productive etc. Some very interesting points and situations described here in this article. It is NHC, but you can relate much of the content to us right now, for good or bad. Imho, it also shows that this perception many people somehow have of us as the only group of fans who moan about stuff and turn on our own with little reason to do so is way off.

http://gu.com/p/4tt68?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Yep, interesting read, and not at all surprising. Football has been, and always will be, a sport where emotions run high due to it's intensity and feeling of attachment. Fans are totally irrational and it's like a pantomime a lot of the time, but that's why I love it. The stuff that I can't stand however, is the personal abuse that some fans dish out - that goes way beyond 'banter'. And to your point about hibs, we are certainly no worse than other fan bases. In fact I think we have great fans, who still turn up in great numbers, despite numerous kicks in the baws. That's why I love football and Hibs - the irrational emotion and unpredictability of it all.

The Green Goblin
24-04-2016, 11:51 AM
The paragraph about Wenger reads, in many ways, like it could have been written about Alan Stubbs.

On the whole it's an interesting read.

That comparison occured to me too, yes. :agree:

Deansy
24-04-2016, 12:51 PM
I agree with you, regarding the perception of Hibs fans as impatient. Look what we've endured in the past decade: relegation, numerous Hampden defeats, and now the possibility of a third season in the Championship, yet there hasn't been a mutiny within the support. At many clubs comparable to Hibs there would have been protests and a far more unpleasant atmosphere at games. I think we've demonstrated forbearance in the past few years.

Agree 100% - however you forgot on top of all that, being treated like the 'Great Unwashed' by a board more obsessed with balancing the books than putting a decent team on the field !!. Partly our own fault by being so loyal despite getting almost nothing back in return !!