PDA

View Full Version : Rest key players for next 2 games?

Lee Marvin
23-04-2016, 06:10 PM
I think we should now that 2nd looks very unlikely. This extra playoff tie makes things so much harder with no rest before.

Thoughts?

RoYO!
23-04-2016, 06:12 PM
When do the loan players season end?

Can they play in the last few games for us? Eg playoff and SC final?

hibbydog
23-04-2016, 06:16 PM
I think we should now that 2nd looks very unlikely. This extra playoff tie makes things so much harder with no rest before.

Thoughts?

Was saying exactly this to someone today. Play an u20 team for the next couple of games and gie the first team a well earned rest.

Realistic chances of finishing second are gone.

Lee Marvin
23-04-2016, 06:16 PM

End of May, so yes.

bob12345
23-04-2016, 06:17 PM
Think we should be going for it against Dumbarton with the most attacking line up possible. Even though we've not shown it this season, hammering Dumbarton (who are now safe and have nothing to play for) isn't an impossible task.

lucky
23-04-2016, 06:17 PM
No lets go for it 2 home games. Let's hammer Dumbarton, we are due them a doing

Smartie
23-04-2016, 06:18 PM
No chance.

Best team to win every game please.

If it means the players don't train much between games then so be it.

Morton may take something from Falkirk so we need to be ready to capitalise.

Players should be able to cope with 2 games every week.

HibsNutter
23-04-2016, 06:18 PM
The players look exhausted as it is. With the backlog coming up, we will not go up without allowing some sort of rest period. We either win our next two games and hope Falkirk fail to win against Morton, giving us two less games or we accept third, rest players in the next two games and get prepared for the play-offs.

That being said, if the players go for it for 90 minutes against Dumbarton - a part-time side with nothing to play for - we could attempt to take a shed load off them and maybe catch Falkirk over the last two games on goal difference, although it's a long shot.

seanshow
23-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Was saying exactly this to someone today. Play an u20 team for the next couple of games and gie the first team a well earned rest.

Realistic chances of finishing second are gone.

I wouldn't say Falkirk are certain to beat Morton, could easily end up as a draw.

.......we still need to win our games though, it's not over.

Dobosz83
23-04-2016, 06:20 PM
We absolutely should rest as many key players as possible on Tuesday and next weekend against QOTS.

I'm not overly upset about the result today, It's a hard place to go and I'm more frustrated about results over the past 2 months than today in isolation. Cappielow is a horrible place to need to get all 3 points, I was never confident and it proved that way.

IMO, we have to accept we are away to Rovers in the first round of Play off fixtures and doing it the hard way. I'd have Boyle, Shaw, Keatings, and Handling etc. getting game time this week. We are about to enter one of the most crucial months in our history and need fresh legs and minds.

Remember folks, we have played 11 or 12 games more than the scheduled season, that's 1/3 more fixtures due to cup runs and we've suffered a fair few injuries to a small squad in that time....

Lee Marvin
23-04-2016, 06:23 PM
We absolutely should rest as many key players as possible on Tuesday and next weekend against QOTS.

I'm not overly upset about the result today, It's a hard place to go and I'm more frustrated about results over the past 2 months than today in isolation. Cappielow is a horrible place to need to get all 3 points, I was never confident and it proved that way.

IMO, we have to accept we are away to Rovers in the first round of Play off fixtures and doing it the hard way. I'd have Boyle, Shaw, Keatings, and Handling etc. getting game time this week. We are about to enter one of the most crucial months in our history and need fresh legs and minds.

Remember folks, we have played 11 or 12 games more than the scheduled season, that's 1/3 more fixtures due to cup runs and we've suffered a fair few injuries to a small squad in that time....

Precisely. Whose to say we can't take 6 points from those games with a 'weaker' team anyway. Our 'best' team are not exactly setting the heather alight just now.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
23-04-2016, 06:26 PM

:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
23-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Full team against Dumbarton ...... win that and its all down to the 1st of May, we still have a chance so keep going, simple as that.

Dobosz83
23-04-2016, 06:31 PM
Precisely. Whose to say we can't take 6 points from those games with a 'weaker' team anyway. Our 'best' team are not exactly setting the heather alight just now.

I genuinely believe the first team are out on their feet. I've felt that way since the game at Easter Road against Hearts when it appeared we were out on our feet after 45 minutes. Think of the fixtures since then in such a short space of time, we have had replays and rescheduled midweek games galore on top of Fyvie, McGeouch and Hanlon having injuries.

It doesn't help that Henderson, McGinn and Cummings are our key men, they are all young lads expected to have a dip in form, never mind with the games they've been asked to play.

Honestly, for me, it's the development squad for the next two games and sporadic time for 'first team' players. I don't mean to play real life footie manager but we've had some schedule in 2016.

Tyler Durden
23-04-2016, 06:31 PM

The loan players won't be eligible to play when they return

Shrekko
23-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Instead of resting players for the sake of it why don't we put out a more attacking team?

If we play 3-5-2 lets have attacking midfielders playing as wing-backs and just go for it. We're trying to open up teams by using steady full-backs for width and our central guys aren't really that creative.

CallumHibs07
23-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Must rest players. Naive to think everyone can just play 10 games in 5 weeks or whatever it is. Big chance to spare ourselves a couple of games today and we've blown it.

Spike Mandela
23-04-2016, 07:00 PM
Beat Dumbarton then beat QotS. It's not impossible that Morton can get a result at Falkirk.

Full strength team untill 2nd is gone.

stantonhibby
23-04-2016, 07:07 PM
Beat Dumbarton then beat QotS. It's not impossible that Morton can get a result at Falkirk.

Full strength team untill 2nd is gone.

Exactly.....it's not rocket science.

neil7908
23-04-2016, 07:15 PM
Our 2nd team should be good enough to beat Dumbarton

Kaiserclem
23-04-2016, 07:21 PM
I would rest:

Mcginn, McGregor, Gray (if possible with resting McGregor), Cummings, and rest Bartley for 1 game only and Stokes 1 game. Get some game time into Blyle, Dagnall (who I honestly think is a good player, just needs a goal) and Thomson. Lot of big games coming up and legs need rested.

Hermit Crab
23-04-2016, 07:21 PM
Our 2nd team should be good enough to beat Dumbarton

If our first team lose to them twice in one season what makes you think our 2nd string will be good enough. Don't write off Dumbarton getting a draw on Tuesday.

Lee Marvin
23-04-2016, 07:23 PM
If our first team lose to them twice in one season what makes you think our 2nd string will be good enough. Don't write off Dumbarton getting a draw on Tuesday.

Or write off a team with 5/6 hungry squad players getting a result where the first team have failed twice already

Hermit Crab
23-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Or write off a team with 5/6 hungry squad players getting a result where the first team have failed twice already

While second is still (barely) possible you can't just thrown in a load of young lads who will be under pressure to get a result.

Lee Marvin
23-04-2016, 07:27 PM
I'm not talking about young lads. I'm talking about Boyle, dagnall, handling, thomson and maybe crane

Hermit Crab
23-04-2016, 07:30 PM
I'm not talking about young lads. I'm talking about Boyle, dagnall, handling, thomson and maybe crane

Boyle done nothing when he came on today and Thomson should not be near the team. Handling is nowhere near match fit and Dagnall just can't score, Crane is unknown to most at first team level.

Lee Marvin
23-04-2016, 07:33 PM
So you are saying we have 14 players who should be allowed to play between now and the end of the season (assuming you would play Fontaine, carmichael and Dylan).

I reckon me may struggle in may if that is the case

Hibby Bairn
23-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Instead of resting players for the sake of it why don't we put out a more attacking team?

If we play 3-5-2 lets have attacking midfielders playing as wing-backs and just go for it. We're trying to open up teams by using steady full-backs for width and our central guys aren't really that creative.

Exactly. We don't score enough goals because we don't have enough players getting into the box. Goals scored from midfield have been poor.

Get attacking players on and tell them to get themselves involved in every attack. Too much phannying about outside the box pretending we are Barcelona.

stirling_hibee
23-04-2016, 07:41 PM
If our first team aren't performing/winning now, what makes you think they will do better in the next two games? Bring in Boyle, keatings etc who are hungry to prove themselves, might give us a better chance of winning the next two games while giving the others a rest

IberianHibernian
23-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Results all season suggest we`ll struggle to win both games let alone threaten to close difference in GD with Falkirk but we`ve got to go for a big win ( at least 4 goals difference ) on Tuesday to put some pressure on Falkirk . That means playing as strong a team as possible since the back up players are simply not good enough or haven`t had enough match time to make a difference A big noisy crowd on Tuesday might make a difference - too late to offer tickets for 5 pounds for adults 1 pound for kids ? Maybe offer season ticket holders free ticket for friend . Problem may be fans of both clubs who have already bought tickets at full prices but I doubt many have and again free ticket for friend or pay for Dumbarton bus might help . Obviously some sort of incentive involving cup final tickets might make a difference to crowd and in 2012 and 2013 I think several hundred cup final tickets were sold to people who attended league gamses at end of the season .
Anyway ticket stuff is probably better on other threads but main thing is that fans know that we haven`t given up on 2nd place , something which would certainly be in doubt if we fielded a weak team against Dumbarton .

Nicho87
23-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Id just rest all first team players now for the next two games. No point risking injuries etc. Cant see falkirk slipping up. Very tricky if we get past rovers to have falkirk away in second leg, both rovers and falkirk will do the usual against hibs sit in and look to hit us on the break

DH1875
23-04-2016, 08:30 PM
I think we should just say duck it, get as many attackers on the field as possible to start with against Dumbarton and go for it. 2-3-5 formation and go for goals :thumbsup:

IberianHibernian
23-04-2016, 10:04 PM
Id just rest all first team players now for the next two games. No point risking injuries etc. Cant see falkirk slipping up. Very tricky if we get past rovers to have falkirk away in second leg, both rovers and falkirk will do the usual against hibs sit in and look to hit us on the breakApart from goalkeeper , in what position could we change the team ? Have we got enough players to change team ?

Nicho87
23-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Apart from goalkeeper , in what position could we change the team ? Have we got enough players to change team ?

In sure a few of the under 20s can fill in a few positions in defence certainly. Then if you take fringe players into things, handling, dagnall, boyle, thomson, logan, carmichael (if fit), left back we signed from rovers,

Ultimately Cummings, mcginn, bartley, stevenson, gray, need a breather.

ben johnson
23-04-2016, 11:21 PM
Id just rest all first team players now for the next two games. No point risking injuries etc. Cant see falkirk slipping up. Very tricky if we get past rovers to have falkirk away in second leg, both rovers and falkirk will do the usual against hibs sit in and look to hit us on the break

Perhaps we should start with a more defensive line up especially if the first leg is in Kirkcaldy. Let's see what they have to offer. Plenty time to play football back at ER. It's two games so be in it at the business end of the games. Happier with Logan in goal if we attempt it.

makaveli1875
24-04-2016, 06:48 AM
catching falkirk is now a longshot . mcginn and bartley need a rest as does stokes , boyle , thomson and keatings could probably do with a game or 2 . maybe a good time to give the big man another shot in goals and hopefully we get mcgeouch , farid and fontaine soon too

hibee-boys
24-04-2016, 07:21 AM
Even if we wanted to rest a large proportion of the team in the last game of the season, if 2nd is lost, who on earth is there to bring in? Stubbs would rather be short of numbers on the subs bench rather than call up one of the under 20's, I find incredible that he does not have faith in one single under 20 player. If it's down to them simply not being good enough then it really does question what on earth we're producing from East Mains. Numerous clubs playing at a higher level than us are able to produce teenagers that can can compete for first team positions, I can't remember our last one!!

lucky
24-04-2016, 07:26 AM
In the last two games Hibs have not had enough players to have 7 subs, so who are we going to drop and bring in?

Septimus
24-04-2016, 07:58 AM
I would certainly give Logan a chance in one of these games to show of Hampden was a fluke or not.

jacomo
24-04-2016, 08:06 AM
Even if we wanted to rest a large proportion of the team in the last game of the season, if 2nd is lost, who on earth is there to bring in? Stubbs would rather be short of numbers on the subs bench rather than call up one of the under 20's, I find incredible that he does not have faith in one single under 20 player. If it's down to them simply not being good enough then it really does question what on earth we're producing from East Mains. Numerous clubs playing at a higher level than us are able to produce teenagers that can can compete for first team positions, I can't remember our last one!!

Does seem to send a bad message to the younger players.

Spike Mandela
24-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Dumbarton are safe in the league. Hopefully their players' minds are on their holidays and future contract negotiations

Hibs have to go for the jugular from the start and get as many goals as we can. We beat them 4-2 earlier in the season at ER so cut out the defensive errors and we could get a decent result.

If we show the same lacklustre attitude as we have in recent away games we are in trouble.

GreenCastle
24-04-2016, 09:12 AM
Can someone post the remaining fixtures on here. Including the playoffs assuming we finish 3rd.

Thanks

greenlex
24-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Did Hamilton not take 10 goals of some team late on the year we went down? Did that make a difference to them finishing second? It can be done.

Northernhibee
24-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Did Hamilton not take 10 goals of some team late on the year we went down? Did that make a difference to them finishing second? It can be done.

IMO not when our players are as knackered as they are.

greenlex
24-04-2016, 12:11 PM
IMO not when our players are as knackered as they are.

I agree but I'm living in hope.

number9dream
24-04-2016, 12:26 PM

Agree... Although we are not exactly blessed with pacy wingers. Boyle & Henderson out wide. Three centre backs. Fyvie & Bartley in the middle, Stokes in behind Keatings & Cummings. Set them a target of a goal every 15 mins or they lose £100 from their wages for each 1/6 of the match that doesn't yield a goal!

High-On-Hibs
24-04-2016, 01:27 PM
We've been resting our key players for most of the season. Surely the players we haven't been playing couldn't fair any worse than what we've been playing?

Andy74
24-04-2016, 04:10 PM
Hibs settling for third in the second tier? Behave.

Onceinawhile
24-04-2016, 04:55 PM
If it comes to it, just batter Raith I'm the first leg and rest players for the 2nd leg. Do the same with Falkirk.

Captain Trips
24-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Indeed to finish 2nd in the league to Rangers was bad enough, to settle for 3rd is pretty disgraceful for me.