PDA

View Full Version : Memories - 1979 Scottish Cup Final Hibs v Rangers.

DUX
22-04-2016, 09:48 AM
Anyone else still feel a sense of injustice at the Colin Cambell stonewall penalty in the last few minutes of the first match?

If I remember rightly it was Bob Valentine or Brian Mc ginley who denied us a victory in the first match?

Would love us to right that wrong 37 years later.

Moulin Yarns
22-04-2016, 09:56 AM
I was at all 3 games

Go to the back page for a report of the second replay

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19790529&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

DUX
22-04-2016, 10:05 AM
I was at all 3 games

Go to the back page for a report of the second replay

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19790529&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Me too. When Colin Cambell was taken down clean through with a few minutes to go everybody was up on their feet screaming for the stomewall pen.

Cheated. Albeit seeing Arther D score the best flying header seen for an own goal was priceless. Just oor luck. Poor Arthur - Legend.

Super_JMcGinn
22-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I have heard so many stories from my dad and uncles about that game It feels like I was there. Is there any footage of any of the games, I can find footage on you tube of EVERY Scottish cup final bar 1979. :confused:

jeffers
22-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Ref was definitely mcginley. From my memory an absolute stonewall pen which given our penalty taker at the time likely to have been the winning goal for us. To this day still can't believe it wasn't given. Seem to remember a newspaper article just after saying how could mcginley who lived in/around Govan have given a penalty against them and go home afterwards.

My other memory is of the Huns singing constantly F the IRA, as if it was supposed to upset us.

scoopyboy
22-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Me too. When Colin Cambell was taken down clean through with a few minutes to go everybody was up on their feet screaming for the stomewall pen.

Cheated. Albeit seeing Arther D score the best flying header seen for an own goal was priceless. Just oor luck. Poor Arthur - Legend.

If I never see Hibs win the Scottish Cup this will be the one that sticks in the throat the most.

In the other finals I have attended we haven't been at the races.

Peevemor
22-04-2016, 12:11 PM

I've only seen highlights of that goal once or twice - and it was a loooong time ago, but my recollection is that Arthur Duncan was pushed as he jumped when the corner came in - or is it just me?

NAE NOOKIE
22-04-2016, 12:13 PM
I was at all 3 games, my abiding memories are of ( IMO ) Benny Brazil's man of the match performance in the first game. All the smashed bus windows on the way home .. I don't think we saw a single bus without one, our brick of friendship nearly hit a wee boy on the head ... And as I was about to climb the stairs at the 3rd game a wee Hun sitting at the bottom ( no idea why he was at our end ) who might have been about 9 taking a draw on his fag, looking at me and saying .. "**** the Virgin Mary"

Happy days :greengrin

JeMeSouviens
22-04-2016, 12:25 PM

To be fair, on a terracing we didn't have much choice. :wink:

DUX
22-04-2016, 01:13 PM
To be fair, on a terracing we didn't have much choice. :wink:

My Dad and I were in the old South Stand nearest the East Terracing at the first game then the terracing the two replay's.

We did all get to our feet to scream for a penalty in the old upper wooden stand at that time.

I was almost in line with Colin Campbell when he was brought down and it was an absolute stone waller. It was a crime we did'nt get it as we would certainly have won the game with it if scored obviously.

The refs at that time were the most biased ever - Brian Mcginley and Bob Valentine were like panto villains, it was so obvious.

DUX
22-04-2016, 01:16 PM
I was at all 3 games, my abiding memories are of ( IMO ) Benny Brazil's man of the match performance in the first game. All the smashed bus windows on the way home .. I don't think we saw a single bus without one, our brick of friendship nearly hit a wee boy on the head ... And as I was about to climb the stairs at the 3rd game a wee Hun sitting at the bottom ( no idea why he was at our end ) who might have been about 9 taking a draw on his fag, looking at me and saying .. "**** the Virgin Mary"

Happy days :greengrin

Even the waiting bus drivers carried a heavy cosh in case of being attacked while the game was on against the Old Firm in the good old days!

JeMeSouviens
22-04-2016, 01:38 PM
My Dad and I were in the old South Stand nearest the East Terracing at the first game then the terracing the two replay's.

We did all get to our feet to scream for a penalty in the old upper wooden stand at that time.

I was almost in line with Colin Campbell when he was brought down and it was an absolute stone waller. It was a crime we did'nt get it as we would certainly have won the game with it if scored obviously.

The refs at that time were the most biased ever - Brian Mcginley and Bob Valentine were like panto villains, it was so obvious.

I only went to the first game and was in a mixed area where the North stand is now, under the old North stand which was still there at that time.

My abiding memory is of Kings Park station on the way home though. My Dad had the bright idea of leaving the car at my Gran's and getting the train from Motherwell. So the way home we were crammed in with hunners of huns going under an underpass when one of them saw a bit of Hibs top under my jacket. Cue Fenian this, that and the other. I was 9 and scared ****less!

DUX
22-04-2016, 01:45 PM
I only went to the first game and was in a mixed area where the North stand is now, under the old North stand which was still there at that time.

My abiding memory is of Kings Park station on the way home though. My Dad had the bright idea of leaving the car at my Gran's and getting the train from Motherwell. So the way home we were crammed in with hunners of huns going under an underpass when one of them saw a bit of Hibs top under my jacket. Cue Fenian this, that and the other. I was 9 and scared ****less!

Pure nightmare! No wonder you were scared xxxxless!

I was 9 year old too, 1970 probs like yourself.

Hibrandenburg
22-04-2016, 03:35 PM
I was at the first 2 games and have only attended League Cup games there since, so I've never seen Hibs lose a Scottish Cup Final that I've attended.

My lasting memories of 79 are the ones from the journey home. It's still an absolute miracle for me how nobody got killed that day. I hate everything to do with that club.

MKHIBEE
22-04-2016, 03:41 PM
I was at the first game and I cannot remember anything other than it was an awful game of football.

Colr
22-04-2016, 03:48 PM
Was at the first game as well as a wee boy.

Should have edged it that day. Penalty claim and a good shot along the ground at the end (can't recall who) which only a keeper the height of McCloy could have got to.

My mindset changed after that final.

jodjam
22-04-2016, 03:56 PM
I went through on silverknowes golf club bus. Couple lads on bus looked after me til we got to Glasgow. Then I was on my own. I was 11. I remember putting the sticky rosettes from the evening news on my scarf.

Fights everywhere after the match and the colin Campbell save by McCloy late on were my main memories as well as kicking lumps of concrete away from the steps. The ground was a dump

MKHIBEE
22-04-2016, 04:01 PM
I was at the first game and I cannot remember anything other than it was an awful game of football.

Hibbyradge
22-04-2016, 04:06 PM
I was at all 3 games and I can still see the not given penalty clearly in my mind's eye.

The feeling of injustice is as strong as ever.

Denverhibby
22-04-2016, 04:11 PM
I was there to, we need justice for the team of 79. Will never forget the own goal. This will be our year

Waxy
22-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Really strange how the video evidence has vanished. Conspired against? Or daft hibby paranioa?

Spike Mandela
22-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Made a Hibee by my maternal grandfather I nagged my Hearts supporting dad to take me to a match. He fobbed me off with a "I will take you to the cup final if Hibs make it" safe in the knowledge that Hibs were so rubbish we would never make final. Then lo and behold we only went and got there.

If you have ever made a promise to your kid you will know he had to do something so he got two tickets from a drinking buddy and two seats on an Eastern Scottish double decker leaving from the Silver Wing at Sighthill.

Memories that stick in my mind....

- Stopping at a service station on way and a Rangers bus there at same time, riot commenced.
- Bus going so slow in Glasgow guys could jump off for a pee, run and get back on bus
- walking the wrong way round Hampden and getting sectarian abuse and sheer hate thrown at us.
- The game went by in a flash but remember the penalty not given and Colin Campbells near miss.
- After game utter mayhem. Near the buses was actually like a warzone.
- Guy who had got my dad tickets had flares, high waisters and a perm and I remember a Rangers fan running up to him, grabbing his hair and kneeing him in the face, blood and snoughters everywhere.
- Dad had to hide me in his overcoat to protect me from fights and flying bottles.
- Back on bus kids had to go under seats and adults stand in the aisle as every window in the bus was panned in on way out of Glasgow
- Dad swore he would never take me to another football match and he never did.

Great memories, exciting and terrifying at the same time.

I want revenge and I want it now!

Golden Bear
22-04-2016, 04:19 PM
I was at all 3 games as well and unfortunately my lasting memories are of the mayhem of the park rather than what happened on it.

Keith_M
22-04-2016, 04:19 PM
My first ever match was the Q/F that season against Hearts at ER.

I was still at the age where I relied on my Dad taking me... so didn't get to the Final. Having heard the stories about the events around the game, I'm quite happy he didn't take me.

Hiber-nation
22-04-2016, 04:21 PM
I was at the first 2. We knew 100% that the penalty would never be given in the first game. Even at 21 I knew how these things worked against the huns. We didn't wear colours or bring scarves so we were ok on the trains but there was a horrible atmosphere. Met the team in Leeries after the game and Paul McGlinchey got all the players to sign my programme.

I can't remember much about the 2nd game. Went by train again and plenty of delays on way home due that bloody communication cord being repeatedly pulled.

Couldn't get anybody to go to the 3rd so listened on the radio. :boo hoo:

CropleyWasGod
22-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Really strange how the video evidence has vanished. Conspired against? Or daft hibby paranioa?

The BBC ran out of tape. 330 minutes of fitba it was.

HIBERNIAN-0762
22-04-2016, 04:25 PM
Weegie polis stood and watched as our parked bus was pelted with bottles, when some of us got off they made a move to arrest us, I clearly remember a well known older man on our bus grabbing a sergeant and protesting, he too was nicked, an absolute disgrace that day, Hibs club officials wrote a letter of complaint to them and never even got an answer.

**** the huns and the weegie polis.

DUX
22-04-2016, 04:25 PM
I was there to, we need justice for the team of 79. Will never forget the own goal. This will be our year

That is exactly how I feel too Justice for 79.

Denied a stonewall penalty in the final few minutes.

It has alway's pained me as it was a criminal act by the biased barsteward ref that day.

CropleyWasGod
22-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Jackie Mac's MOM in the first game.... and probably for the second as well, although I think they gave it to Bobby Russell.

Benny marking Cooper out of the first and second games.

Ally Macleod and Ralph Callachan not turning up until the third game.

My Dad dancing down the terracing when McArthur saved the penalty in ET of the 3rd game.

**** the IRA.

Stevie Brown.... whatever happened to him?

A guy wandering in late to the 3rd game, asking "any scoring?" The answer was "... come back in January, mate."

Huns singing "we are the champions", even though Celtic had nicked the league off them after being 10 points behind.

Running for the car after the second game, being chased by the mob.

Soaked to the skin after the 3rd game.

stoneyburn hibs
22-04-2016, 04:36 PM
I was 7 at the time, my auld man left me in the house for all three games, git.

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Mayhem from start to finish, riots at Harthill. Fighting as soon as the bus stopped at Hampden, scuffles in the ground. Then what seemed like a war zone at the end.

Buses were parked all over the shop, both teams supporters. I dont think there was a bus with a window left when they all set off.

Never stopped me going to all 3, but if i'm hones i dont really remember much of the games.

Lucius Apuleius
22-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Was at all three too. Unfortunately, I was drunk that year as it was the year I got married and can remember sod all about it. Never thought all these years later I would still be waiting to see us lift any cup (missed the 72 LG Final as I was at sea).

rcarter1
22-04-2016, 05:37 PM
I have heard so many stories from my dad and uncles about that game It feels like I was there. Is there any footage of any of the games, I can find footage on you tube of EVERY Scottish cup final bar 1979. :confused:

So you've seen 1902 on You Tube? :greengrin

Topographic Hibby
22-04-2016, 05:39 PM
Amazingly, I was on a bus that came back with its glass intact, but it was a close run thing. On the way back, a brick from a Neanderthal hit the window next to me and my mate from school, but it held. I could see my old man from further down the bus waving his hand and arm as if to say "move in from the window"

As for the game, it was the last minute miss from Campbell I remember. He done everything right, driving it hard and low away from the Lighthouse. How that lump of lard got down to it I will never know.

All I could hear was a Bonny-M chorus and something about the IRA. Quite what the relevance of that was I have never been able to work out.

Still don't.

greenlex
22-04-2016, 05:43 PM
I remember travelling through midweek in a purple Austin Allegro. Harthill with steam belching out from and overheated engine/radiator with mayhem all around.

Ronniekirk
22-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Went to the first two Left an umbrella on the terracing after first game
Went to rangers end with friends for second Dont have many memories of that one must of been a dour game
Was studying for my Degree and couldn't go to third game Listened intermittently on radio and remember turning it on as Duncan scored Was gutted when i realised it was an own goal to put them 3 2 up in extra time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hart RIP
22-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Didn't they have Rubstic that grand national winner as a pre match entertainment?

Tom Hart RIP
22-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Rangers missed a penalty. Pretty sure it was Alex Miller in the third game.

Shanksaidno
22-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Was at all three . . . Remember standing behind the goal in a big group of hibees with rangers fans on both sides of us and behind us with bottles and stones cascading down on us

Lago
22-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Was at the first game with my father in law and brother in law, we were on Dalkeith Unicorn pub's bus. Stone wall penalty, bus was absolutely blootered on the way home and I swore I would never travel on a suppoerters bus again, never have.

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2016, 06:49 PM

I'm the same. To listen to my old man, you'd think the 1979 final was the first day of The Battle Of The Somme and he was a survivor. He still talks about 'making it home' and 'carnage' :greengrin

Hibernia&Alba
22-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Mayhem from start to finish, riots at Harthill. Fighting as soon as the bus stopped at Hampden, scuffles in the ground. Then what seemed like a war zone at the end.

Buses were parked all over the shop, both teams supporters. I dont think there was a bus with a window left when they all set off.

Never stopped me going to all 3, but if i'm hones i dont really remember much of the games.

Were you on the same bus as my da'? :greengrin

cal-d hibs
22-04-2016, 07:07 PM
This was just before my 9th birthday. I was taken by my big cousin and uncle and only to the 1st game.

Main memories of the day for me were :

Missing my final tennis lesson at Harrison Park.
The film 'boy in a plastic bubble' was on the TV that morning, sitting all scarf and hat upped and watching John bleedin' Travolta!!
Transport was a crew minibus, crates of beer sliding up and down the middle of the bus.
Pouring rain and it was so Scotland, so dreich.
My uncle headed to the old north stand while I was taken to the east terrace. Looked over to the Hibs support which mostly congragated in the middle of the vast vast terrace, it didn't look like much in such a huge space.
My green & white flag bought for me.

norhfc
22-04-2016, 07:33 PM
Was 15 and remember thinking we should have won the first game, but mostly it was the buses after the game. Police standing there watching the Huns brick every bus at will. Wouldnt let the Hibs get at them either and they did try. Hiding under the seat with glass and bricks flying everywhere. Freezing cold on way home as no windows. Praying we do them this time.

WHAM
22-04-2016, 07:43 PM
I'm the same. To listen to my old man, you'd think the 1979 final was the first day of The Battle Of The Somme and he was a survivor. He still talks about 'making it home' and 'carnage' :greengrin

Haha. My old man is the same.

Somehow his flag found its way up the nose of an unfortunate Hun during the bedlam after the game. He was covered in blood when he got back to Tranent...."but it's alright cos it wasn't my blood!" 😉 🇳🇬

Let's do this Hibs.

scm70nyd1973
23-04-2016, 09:55 AM
I was brought up in Glasgow but my dad was a Hibby.

I was 16 when I went to the first of the 3 games. I was in the enclosure in front of the main stand and god knows why but I was in the Huns bit with my dad.

Recollection of the game was as follows:

1. It was overcast.
2. Huns singing a Boney M sound with a delightful change in the lyrics
3. Utter, utter, utter crap game
4. Old man suggesting it was a bad idea to be wearing my Hibs scarf
5. 30 yr old Hun squaring up to me whilst singing the BM song
6. Removed said scarf and looked at the old man who had a told you so look on his face
7. Alec Miller hitting the bar with a header at the Huns end (might be wrong about this)
8. From ten miles away I saw Colin Campbell being hoofed up in the air and thinking it was the mother of all stonewall penalties - was just wondering for what seemed like minutes as to why the game was still going on when a penalty must have been awarded and a Hibs player should have been lining up to shoot - the rest is just history

I missed all the post match soapy bubble as my old man had parked where all the Huns were so no Hibbys about - had my scarf been on display I am certain I would have found trouble alright.

Thought that when CC was upended that I was gonna see the Cabbage lift the old trophy and at my age the fact that we hadn't won it for so long didn't seem that big a deal to me - did not expect to be nearly 40 years on from it and we still haven't been close. Also did not expect relegation the next year.

This time round the circumstances are so much different and the set up better so that winning it would allow us to celebrate like there was no tomorrow - for some of us older dudes if we win it and there was no tomorrow we might no be that bothered !!

DUX
23-04-2016, 09:58 AM
I was brought up in Glasgow but my dad was a Hibby.

I was 16 when I went to the first of the 3 games. I was in the enclosure in front of the main stand and god knows why but I was in the Huns bit with my dad.

Recollection of the game was as follows:

1. It was overcast.
2. Huns singing a Boney M sound with a delightful change in the lyrics
3. Utter, utter, utter crap game
4. Old man suggesting it was a bad idea to be wearing my Hibs scarf
5. 30 yr old Hun squaring up to me whilst singing the BM song
6. Removed said scarf and looked at the old man who had a told you so look on his face
7. Alec Miller hitting the bar with a header at the Huns end (might be wrong about this)
8. From ten miles away I saw Colin Campbell being hoofed up in the air and thinking it was the mother of all stonewall penalties - was just wondering for what seemed like minutes as to why the game was still going on when a penalty must have been awarded and a Hibs player should have been lining up to shoot - the rest is just history

I missed all the post match soapy bubble as my old man had parked where all the Huns were so no Hibbys about - had my scarf been on display I am certain I would have found trouble alright.

Thought that when CC was upended that I was gonna see the Cabbage lift the old trophy and at my age the fact that we hadn't won it for so long didn't seem that big a deal to me - did not expect to be nearly 40 years on from it and we still haven't been close. Also did not expect relegation the next year.

This time round the circumstances are so much different and the set up better so that winning it would allow us to celebrate like there was no tomorrow - for some of us older dudes if we win it and there was no tomorrow we might no be that bothered !!

The Colin Campbell penalty that was'nt given still sticks in my craw today. Biased SFA then with biased refs to boot. Total Barstewards.

Leithenhibby
23-04-2016, 11:46 AM
The Colin Campbell penalty that was'nt given still sticks in my craw today. Biased SFA then with biased refs to boot. Total Barstewards.

Spot kick all day long. McCloy came charging out with his boot at forehead ( :greengrin ) level.........

We were done good and proper that day, but we get a chance to put the record straight.......

DUX
23-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Spot kick all day long. McCloy came charging out with his boot at forehead ( :greengrin ) level.........

We were done good and proper that day, but we get a chance to put the record straight.......

I will be saying a quiet prayer the morning of the Big Day.

May the Good Lord shine on us on May 21st 2016.

lapsedhibee
23-04-2016, 11:58 AM

No we don't. If/when we win in 2016, that doesn't in any way mean that the 1979 result was ok.

Straightening the record would be stripping the the huns of all the titles they won bently.

Leithenhibby
23-04-2016, 11:59 AM
No we don't. If/when we win in 2016, that doesn't in any way mean that the 1979 result was ok.

Straightening the record would be stripping the the huns of all the titles they didn't win by fair means.

I know, but you get my point :wink:

lapsedhibee
23-04-2016, 12:01 PM
I will be saying a quiet prayer the morning of the Big Day.

May the Good Lord shine on us on May 21st 2016.

Couldn't you have said "put sunshine on us" there?

DUX
23-04-2016, 12:05 PM
Couldn't you have said "put sunshine on us" there?

I'm sure there will be plenty of sunshine and tears if the Good Lord shines down on us.

I will as everyone else be crying plenty of tears win or lose.

If we win I will be crying like a wee bairn thinking of family and friends who are no longer with us to see the moment.

If we lose I will also cry like a wee bairn.

:flag:

lapsedhibee
23-04-2016, 12:11 PM
If we win I will be crying like a wee bairn

Aye, you'll not be on your own in doing that. It'll be an emotional time in Edinburgh.

fat freddy
23-04-2016, 12:33 PM
I remember the ever dwindling Hibs support, we took a huge support to the first final, around 200 buses and the football special from Waverley. After the madness and mayhem of that match our support in the first replay wasn't quite as impressive as people were genuinely fearful for their safety, there was less bother after that bore draw but buses were smashed up by rangers vermin. By the time of the third game some bus companies were refusing to allow Hibs supporters to hire coaches for the match, I remember an article in the evening news reporting on the reluctance of fans to attend as it was just too dangerous. I was bricking it personally as I'd had to lie under my seat on the bus after the first game as all the windows were smashed in full view of the cops, they just stood and watched as Hibs fans were battered by thousands of brave Rangers warriors. But being young and stupid I had to go to the third game despite being scared of the inevitable violence that would ensue if we won. To be honest, when Arthur scored with his flying header there was a tiny part of me that thanked him as I knew that the Hibs support would be spared yet another attack from the battle hardened Rangers Brick & Glass Artillery 1st Battalion afterwards...It was no surprise that the following years final turned into a mass pitch battle between the same Rangers support and Celtic's drunk brigade. Our final in 79 was just a warm up for the main bout in 80. The drink ban duly followed and it is these two bastions of the Scottish game that we have to thank for it.

ferry hibby
23-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Obviously in those days the players were numbered straight from 1 to 11 but I seem to remember Hibs tried to confuse Rangers by totally mixing the numbers up with he likes of the right back wearing No 9. Did not half worry us when the teams were read out. Anybody else remember this?

Nakedmanoncrack
23-04-2016, 12:58 PM
I was age 8 and went with my mum (virtually no women went to football in those days) and my 12 year old brother, who never had much interest in football but was a Rangers fan at the time (probably more to annoy me than anything else). We sat in the old North Stand, above where the current North stand is, this was of course terracing at the time. Don't really remember much of the day to be honest, we went on the football special from Waverley to King's Park, I remember someone walking by with a Hearts scarf on when we we were all queuing at Waverley and being abused, also seeing loads of buses with broken windows after the game, but must have missed the worst of the aggro because I've no memory of it.

Hibby Bairn
23-04-2016, 01:10 PM
Went to all 3 matches. Was 11 at the time. My dad (a Hun) took me and a friend in our Hillman Avenger.

Don't recall much tbh. Rangers fans singing F the IRA songs to the tune of a Boney M song sticks for some reason. I also remember it being very wet on one or both replays.

After the game saw a fan sticking a lit cigarette up a police horse's arse.

Amazing what sometimes sticks in your memory!

kaimendhibs
23-04-2016, 01:28 PM
I was 15 and at all 3 games. Absolute robbery in first game, have detested The Rangers ever since

IberianHibernian
23-04-2016, 09:00 PM
Went to all 3 games so share most of the memories already on this thread .
First game . I had a ticket for our end ( terracing ) but on day of game got chance of ticket through sponsor and sat right next to where George Stewart would have lifted cup ( spent 90 minutes wishing I was up at our end though when we dominated last 15 minutes was getting excited about touching cup ) . Both teams were bad ( we`d started our decline which led to relegation and Rangers were possibly thinking about league ) . After the game was terrible and I was glad to get home unharmed .
2nd and 3rd games : back on terrace which seemed vast as we only had about 5000 fans ( about 17,000 at first game which I think was first SC final to be televised live ) after violence at first game and being midweek . Rangers support was also low ( maybe 25,000 at both replays including our 5,000 ? ) as they were devastated after losing league after losing to 10 - man Celtic at Parkhead ( was a season with loads of postponed matches so season dragged on ) between replays after being in pole position . Torrential rain during both replays which wasn`t great on open terracing .
Strangely when second replay finished I don`t think there was a great feeling of tragedy , folk were almost relieved marathon tie was finished . 1902 stuff wasn`t mentioned then ( League Cup was considered just as important as SC and we`d had a good team until just a couple of years before ) .
Strangely we had to play Rangers in a league match at ER after the finals . We won 2v1 in front of about 4,000 fans with a few hundred huns at the Dunbar End . Think it was 31st May which was almost a month after first cup final and more than a month after regular Saturday league finished . Tiny crowd reflected lack of interest of both supports ( in those days a Hibs v Rangers at ER could have had 15,000 Hibs fans and even more Rangers fans ) but if Rangers had won at Parkhead Hibs would have needed to lose to qualfy as runners up for European Cup Winners Cup at a time when we were used to qualifying for Europe every year .

Nakedmanoncrack
24-04-2016, 01:06 AM
First game . I had a ticket for our end ( terracing ) but on day of game got chance of ticket through sponsor and sat right next to where George Stewart would have lifted cup ( spent 90 minutes wishing I was up at our end though when we dominated last 15 minutes was getting excited about touching cup ) . Both teams were bad ( we`d started our decline which led to relegation and Rangers were possibly thinking about league ) . After the game was terrible and I was glad to get home unharmed .
2nd and 3rd games : back on terrace which seemed vast as we only had about 5000 fans ( about 17,000 at first game which I think was first SC final to be televised live ) after violence at first game and being midweek . Rangers support was also low ( maybe 25,000 at both replays including our 5,000 ? ) as they were devastated after losing league after losing to 10 - man Celtic at Parkhead ( was a season with loads of postponed matches so season dragged on ) between replays after being in pole position . Torrential rain during both replays which wasn`t great on open terracing .
Strangely when second replay finished I don`t think there was a great feeling of tragedy , folk were almost relieved marathon tie was finished . 1902 stuff wasn`t mentioned then ( League Cup was considered just as important as SC and we`d had a good team until just a couple of years before ) .
Strangely we had to play Rangers in a league match at ER after the finals . We won 2v1 in front of about 4,000 fans with a few hundred huns at the Dunbar End . Think it was 31st May which was almost a month after first cup final and more than a month after regular Saturday league finished . Tiny crowd reflected lack of interest of both supports ( in those days a Hibs v Rangers at ER could have had 15,000 Hibs fans and even more Rangers fans ) but if Rangers had won at Parkhead Hibs would have needed to lose to qualfy as runners up for European Cup Winners Cup at a time when we were used to qualifying for Europe every year .

I was at that much delayed final league game - centre stand.

Septimus
24-04-2016, 03:57 PM
My friend, who was a dyed in the wool Ramgers supporter got tickets for the two of us in the centre stand. On the day of the match I was having an emergency operation for cancer. When the replay came I was in the Western General having radio therapy and I could not watch it on TV because I was causing so much interference because of the radio active needles. I can remember nothing of the third game.
I suppose in the greater scheme of things the Scottish Cup is insignificant but hopefully I last long enough to know that our name is deservedly inscribed thereon.

baggio70
24-04-2016, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Gail;4657584]I have heard so many stories from my dad and uncles about that game It feels like I was there. Is there any footage of any of the games, I can find footage on you tube of EVERY Scottish cup final bar 1979. :confused:[/QUOTE

im the same, nothing?

Annasam
24-04-2016, 08:35 PM
I remember a giant Tony Higgins standing up against a wee Tommy McLean at kick off. Our No 11 against their No 7. I was only 14 but knew, just knew Hibs had it in the bag!

IberianHibernian
24-04-2016, 08:52 PM
I remember a giant Tony Higgins standing up against a wee Tommy McLean at kick off. Our No 11 against their No 7. I was only 14 but knew, just knew Hibs had it in the bag! Tony always seemed to keep his best performances for games against Rangers . That year I remember he broke his leg 2 or 3 months before the final ( can`t have been a serious break if he was back so soon I suppose ) but he made a surprise substitute appearance in an East of Scotland Shield match against Meadowbank the week before final and then came on in all 3 games in final ( I think - anyone remember ? ) and almost got winner . Hopefully Dylan McGeoch will do a Tony Higgins and reappear at final but to score winning goal .

mca
24-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Was at the first game as well as a wee boy.

Should have edged it that day. Penalty claim and a good shot along the ground at the end (can't recall who) which only a keeper the height of McCloy could have got to.

My mindset changed after that final.

My Father`s Mindset Was Changed as Well.. We Grew up in Biggar.. Some Folks would Think this to be a quiet Little Town - I remember this as an Orange Town as Close to the outskirts of Edinburgh as You can get - and also as far from the Weegie.. But It was Defo a Mason Town...

My Father was More of a Motherwell man as it was kinda the local team and he had a trial for them...

But - After that Final - He Took me and Brother to Easter Road with him.... And - I Will Never Forget How Much He Hated Effing Bob Valentine.. :agree:

Fratelli
24-04-2016, 09:29 PM
I sent a link to this thread to my 'Fratello' who now lives in Serbia (he'll be back again for next months Final as will the youngest brother who lives in Dubai) asking for any recollections of the '79 Final.

He wasn't at the '79 Final but has very vivid memories of the 1972 Semi Final v Rangers which I thought may be of interest. I was 8 at the time and have vague memories of us sitting in the old North Stand above the terracing.

Here are his memories of the '72 Semi Final...

"Defo not at that Final.... but reading the reports reminds me of 2 trips to Glasgow in the early 70s to play the Hun.... a semi final and the replay I think.

Absolute carnage and no windows left in the bus on either journey.

Taking a route through a building site with unlimited ammunition not the best idea....

Saw things on the Saturday game especially that never ever expected to see at a football match and never forgotten.

The age range of total hatred was unbelievable.... from about 5 to 90.... hurling abuse and bricks at the bus, forcing their way on to the bus to give somebody a kicking.

I think you were there for the Sat game but not the replay which we won.

The second game travelling back along M8 without the windows was f.....g freezing but cheered up when we saw the Hibs team coach overtake us!"

JeMeSouviens
25-04-2016, 09:57 AM

It was the 3rd. The 1976 final (when Hearts were a goal down before 3pm) was the last one that wasn't televised live.

Golden Bear
25-04-2016, 12:06 PM
My Father`s Mindset Was Changed as Well.. We Grew up in Biggar.. Some Folks would Think this to be a quiet Little Town - I remember this as an Orange Town as Close to the outskirts of Edinburgh as You can get - and also as far from the Weegie.. But It was Defo a Mason Town...

My Father was More of a Motherwell man as it was kinda the local team and he had a trial for them...

But - After that Final - He Took me and Brother to Easter Road with him.... And - I Will Never Forget How Much He Hated Effing Bob Valentine.. :agree:

I always think that Biggar marks the geographic start of the "wild west". I stay in a town which is 18 miles from Biggar and we are lucky enough to have absolutely no sectarian issues. Hibs, Hearts, Rangers, Celtic, we all get on reasonably well together and can even watch a game in the same pub without a riot or an outbreak of civil disobedience!