PDA

View Full Version : STUBBS - "When you critisize one player it affects the whole team"

spike220
21-04-2016, 09:18 AM
STUBBS - "When you critisize one player it affects the whole team"

Says it all peeps, I think the fans need to back whoever is on the field, we don't see what Stubbs sees or know what he knows.

If we want to have a chance of getting out this League and/or lifting a cup, the fans need to play their part to!

GGTTH

Wilson
21-04-2016, 09:22 AM
He talks some guff. Where is this quote from?

andrew70
21-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Precisely the booing of Oxley (in sporadic amounts) after his error was appalling.

We all need to be pulling in one direction.

I think we all forget how young Oxley is and the good saves, one on one stops he has made etc.

SlickShoes
21-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Booing is out of order in my opinion but when you make a howler like that the crowd is not going to sound positive about it, I don't know what the players expect? 100% applause all of the time?

I fully back hibs when I see them live, forums like this are a different medium and many of us use them to simply vent, if places like this are causing issues then players shouldn't be reading them. If we include social media like twitter then it's again a platform for knee jerk reactions not prolonged discussions and level headed opinions.

This place is the equivalent of a player walking in to a pub in the 80's or 90's having had a bad game and then taking what everyone says to heart. These discussions always happened, people were always idiots, some people knew more than others, some people were depressing about everything and some were 100% positive. The difference is all of these opinions are now public and last longer than the few minutes they are spoken.

I have posted loads of times out of sheer frustration on a match day that two days later I read it back and know my opinion was stupid and clouded by emotion.

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Lets blame the supporters for failing to gain promotion last season and currently sitting 3rd in the championship this year.

DUX
21-04-2016, 09:29 AM
STUBBS - "When you critisize one player it affects the whole team"

Says it all peeps, I think the fans need to back whoever is on the field, we don't see what Stubbs sees or know what he knows.

If we want to have a chance of getting out this League and/or lifting a cup, the fans need to play their part to!

GGTTH

Stubbsy is 100% correct. The critics have every right to intelligently make their point but please do not boo or similar to hibs players.

:gwa2:

Thecat23
21-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Lets blame the supporters for failing to gain promotion last season and currently sitting 3rd in the championship this year.

Where does it say that?

Unseen work
21-04-2016, 09:36 AM

Hibs tv

Wilson
21-04-2016, 09:36 AM
I remember Nish having a go at the boo boys. It was the start of a slippery slope for him. I don't see what Stubbs gains with these comments. Whatever it is he will get it thrown back at him ten fold the next time we go on a poor run. Clumsy and ill advised comments.

Steve20
21-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Nobody should be booing at the match but if people have an opinion (yes, even negative), then I don't see why they can't express it on a forum that people seem to get upset about.

JimBHibees
21-04-2016, 09:51 AM
I remember Nish having a go at the boo boys. It was the start of a slippery slope for him. I don't see what Stubbs gains with these comments. Whatever it is he will get it thrown back at him ten fold the next time we go on a poor run. Clumsy and ill advised comments.

No he is spot on and anyone having a pop at any player during the game needs to have their head looked at. Totally counter productive. Nothing wrong with having opinions however the place to share nonsensical guff is on places like this. :greengrin

Steve-O
21-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Stubbs put Oxley in that completely unnecessary position so he should look at himself first.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 09:56 AM
Stubbs put Oxley in that completely unnecessary position so he should look at himself first.

Stubbs picked a winning team. There's nothing to look at.

Fergus52

he scored 5 goals in 2 games to get us into europe straight after the interview.

Fergus52
Nobody should be booing at the match but if people have an opinion (yes, even negative), then I don't see why they can't express it on a forum that people seem to get upset about.

I'm pretty sure Stubbs meant at the game not online

mjhibby
21-04-2016, 09:57 AM

All about opinions. I think he has every right to say that as we need everybody pulling in the same direction. Booing never helps anybody. Two vital wins is all he should be focusing on,not answering questions about booing. By all means vent your frustration at the end of the game bundling during the game just helps the opposition by unsettling our team.
Ggtth.

spike220
21-04-2016, 10:01 AM

we don't see what Stubbs sees or know what he knows.

steakbake
21-04-2016, 10:01 AM
He's quite right, in my opinion. Fine for people to have opinions. However, the stick Oxley has got and the pure dreamery of people who think that Logan is the answer on the basis of one, albeit very good, performance is a nonsense. Other players also regularly get the treatment from a section of the support. Again, that happens but we have a bad habit at Hibs of going mental about players in a very destructive way.

If folk want to boo, get tickets for the pantomime.

spike220
21-04-2016, 10:04 AM

Point missed totally......it was not an attack on anyone, he is telling us how it is: http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/tv/latest

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 10:08 AM
How many people need to say that before people take notice and end the "fans fault" pish that stops any sensible debate?

We can ALL make a difference.

jacomo
21-04-2016, 10:14 AM
How many people need to say that before people take notice and end the "fans fault" pish that stops any sensible debate?

:agree:

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 10:15 AM

Where does he say anything even close to that?

CentreLine
21-04-2016, 10:17 AM
What was noticable last night was that when The Rangers went behind their fans got right behind them with huge vocal support. When their keeper made a clown of himself for our second their fans were not baying for him to be hooked they simply got behind their team all the more. This is true of the fans of most teams and I remember fondly when it was very much the case with our fans at ER too. I cannot understand where we went wrong with this and decided that vicious criticism of our own players is somehow helpful to gaining results. I sincerely wish that a significant number of our fans were not the "sing when we're winning" variety and realised how important the 12th man can be when the team is struggling.

If we must have it, intimidation should be directed at the opposition and maybe even the referee, that has potential to gain advantage. I don't get why our fans do the opposition fans job for them. However, the opposition sure as hell do and play on it every week.

If you are a boo boy then, fair enough, you pay to get in but don't pretend for one minute you are supporting the team on the park.

Kato
21-04-2016, 10:19 AM

Any Hibs fan booing our players last night were doing the The Rangers fans job for them.

Monts
21-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Stubbs is spot on, booing any player is detrimental to the whole team. It shouldn't happen.

However, it was a completely predictable scenario, and one Stubbs chose to instigate. There was only ever going to be one reaction from the fans after Logan's heroics. I know we can't tell from one game if Logan is actually better consistently, but putting oxley back in was only going to draw more attention to him when he was already a little low on confidence.

Fergus52
21-04-2016, 10:23 AM
What was noticable last night was that when The Rangers went behind their fans got right behind them with huge vocal support. When their keeper made a clown of himself for our second their fans were not baying for him to be hooked they simply got behind their team all the more. This is true of the fans of most teams and I remember fondly when it was very much the case with our fans at ER too. I cannot understand where we went wrong with this and decided that vicious criticism of our own players is somehow helpful to gaining results. I sincerely wish that a significant number of our fans were not the "sing when we're winning" variety and realised how important the 12th man can be when the team is struggling.

If we must have it, intimidation should be directed at the opposition and maybe even the referee, that has potential to gain advantage. I don't get why our fans do the opposition fans job for them. However, the opposition sure as hell do and play on it every week.

If you are a boo boy then, fair enough, you pay to get in but don't pretend for one minute you are supporting the team on the park.

Been going to Easter Road regularly for around 12 years now and the only time I remember it being like this was for the brief spell under Fenlon when we were high up the league and section 43 were noisy every game, especially when whenever we went behind. Made a massive difference IMO, really helped confidence players like Wotherspoon, Doyle and Cairney.

lucky
21-04-2016, 10:27 AM
The treatment of Oxley does effect the team. When he came for the cross from the corner at the end and held it the all went to him. For me that was a sign of unity. That being said most fans just don't have confidence in him. But I don't think he got booed more groan at

NAE NOOKIE
21-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Since time immemorial players have been subjected to criticism by fans and that's not going to change any time soon. I don't agree with booing individual players under any circumstances, but they cant and never will be immune from getting panned if they play badly.

However, a player will always keep the fans onside when poor form is accompanied by 100% effort. I can think of a few who fall / fell into that category.

Gareth Evans ..... for a striker he was hardly prolific, but he gave everything in a Hibs jersey.

Ivan Sproul ...... when he was bad he was really bad, but his will to keep going was beyond question .. though frustration sometimes got him in bother :greengrin

Lewis Stevenson .... is Lewis Stevenson ...... nuff said.

And the latest on the list ( for me at least ) Fraser Fyvie ...... He is prone to the odd bad mistake, he has games where his passing just doesn't come off, but he never ever hides and always looks for the ball ..... I for one am really warming to him.

Which brings us to the obvious subject of Stubbsy's comment:

Up until now Mark Oxley has been ok as our keeper, but no more than that, he ( that I can recall ) has never had a memorable performance, nor has he had an utter Zibbiesque calamity. The corner at the end last night was his best moment in the game .... following the first goal, the fact that he carried the ball over to concede the corner and the clamour to have Logan replace him (which he must have been aware of) he obviously had determined that come what may he was going to claim that corner, no matter what it took. The upshot of all that was that he made the best catch of a ball into his box he has probably made all season.

But there's the problem in a nutshell ...... A professional keeper should be showing that determination to command his area at all times and its hard to make a good case to prove that Oxley does that. Too often he either lacks conviction when he goes for the ball, or he is indecisive about leaving his line and it all adds up to a keeper who gives the impression of being half hearted at times.

If the Mark Oxley who caught that corner last night was the Mark Oxley we see every week there wouldn't be a discussion to be had as to our number one keeper. As it is he now has competition from a keeper who in his one game for Hibs looked like he would be happy to rip off his own leg and chuck it at the ball if it would prevent a goal.

That gives Mark Oxley a problem and Alan Stubbs a selection dilemma ........ no amount of side swipes at the fans will change that, fans who by the way were brilliant last night.

CentreLine
21-04-2016, 10:38 AM
Been going to Easter Road regularly for around 12 years now and the only time I remember it being like this was for the brief spell under Fenlon when we were high up the league and section 43 were noisy every game, especially when whenever we went behind. Made a massive difference IMO, really helped confidence players like Wotherspoon, Doyle and Cairney.

Sadly I am going back a little further than that, this is my 51st year attending ER. For me the rot started as we progressed through the 80's when, to be fair, we had some poor teams compaired to the heady days of the Tornadoes. The introduction of over inflated pay to players generally seemed to herald an era when fans, who could only dream of some of the salaries going to players, felt they were owed something. With some justification too, if only it was our players at ER getting those huge wages. The problem is we are berating players trying their best and who do not earn a whole lot more than the average wage.

SaulGoodman
21-04-2016, 10:43 AM

I agree with what Stubbs said but don't agree with your point, The Rangers fans have already seen their team win the title and beat their biggest rivals in the cup the past few weeks. Of course they'll get behind the team.

Did you hear them last season?

SlickShoes
21-04-2016, 10:43 AM

I am sure the fact that Rangers beat Celtc on Sunday and won the league at a canter has something to do with this as well. Transplant that goalkeeping howler to last year when they were behind us in the league and I bet their fans would have reacted differently.

Hibs fans get called on time and time again to get behind the team and they do this and turn out in large numbers, a very small amount of people may have boo'd when oxley made that howler last night, calling out all "fans" for this is pointless, if anyone was to blame it was Alan Stubbs. He created the scenario where he has dropped the player that got us to the cup final and within 45 minutes that players replacement had cost us a goal.

What went wrong with hibs was we became an awful team, badly run and eventually got relegated after a myriad of terrible signings and managers.

Since90+2
21-04-2016, 10:45 AM
IMO Oxley is poor and not the standard we require but booing any Hibs player never makes the situation any better. The team are obviously quite a tight unit and have a cracking team spirit , see the reaction of the players at FT yesterday when they all jumped on Oxley.

We run the risk of creating a wedge between the supporters and the team if some fans continue to abuse one of the first team players. This is the warning Stubbs is trying to send out with his comments.

Kato
21-04-2016, 10:48 AM
IMO Oxley is poor and not the standard we require but booing any Hibs player never makes the situation any better. The team are obviously quite a tight unit and have a cracking team spirit , see the reaction of the players at FT yesterday when they all jumped on Oxley.

We run the risk of creating a wedge between the supporters and the team if some fans continue to abuse one of the first team players. This is the warning Stubbs is trying to send out with his comments.

True, sadly some people value their own opinion so much they'll be reluctant to let this go.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 10:49 AM
No Hibs player should be booed. Just should not happen. It's idiotic behaviour and helps no one.

Stubbs has to shoulder some of the blame for the situation, not the booing, with his team selection though. I can see his reasoning but he put a hell of a lot of pressure on a player who already had a section of the support on his back.

brog
21-04-2016, 10:50 AM

Excellent post! It was noticeable the way the players ran to Mark Oxley at the end of the game when he took the corner cleanly. They're obviously fully aware of the pressure he's under from the crowd & even IMO from comments on here. When I logged on last night after a great victory, the #1 thread didn't read, Well Done Hibs, it read Mark Oxley!! Big Conrad had an outstanding game on Saturday but we have to trust AS to pick the right team, his formation last night was spot on!

midfield_maestro
21-04-2016, 10:53 AM

Excellent post

matty_f
21-04-2016, 11:10 AM
Stubbs is right. Folk need to wake up to the fact that booing a player doesn't help. Make excuses all you want, regardless of your opinion on who is playing and whether it's right or wrong, you have the mental capacity and control of yourself to understand that booing is detrimental to the team and therefore doesn't help.

If you choose to boo knowing that, then, IMHO, you're an ersehole.

Libby Hibby
21-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Stubbs is right but where does he say this?

Kato
21-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Stubbs has to shoulder some of the blame for the situation, not the booing, with his team selection though. I can see his reasoning but he put a hell of a lot of pressure on a player who already had a section of the support on his back.

Totally disagree with that. It's a professional standard for the regular goalie to go back in after suspension. To drop him would dent any fragile confidence further. Oxley has been guilty of a few errors but if that was to lead to being dropped in itself our strikers would all have been dropped in the same period as they have been profligate in front of goal during the same to say the least.

Still I'm in no doubt that those who want Oxley dropped will get their way in the next few weeks as they will barrack him until his confidence has dropped further.

Winston Ingram
21-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Booing your own players is pathetic. I don't care how ***** they are, it's only going to make things worse.

Waxy
21-04-2016, 11:34 AM
Should we have sn amnesty on booing and give everyone a clean slate going into the run in?(not that i once booed anyone)..(this season)

Waxy
21-04-2016, 11:37 AM
Anyone caught booing puts a pound in the boo box?

Libby Hibby
21-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Anyone caught booing puts a pound in the boo box?

No need for HSL if that gets implemented haha

Alfred E Newman
21-04-2016, 11:40 AM
I know I am a bit hard of hearing but I never heard any booing last night from the west lower.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Totally disagree with that. It's a professional standard for the regular goalie to go back in after suspension. To drop him would dent any fragile confidence further. Oxley has been guilty of a few errors but if that was to lead to being dropped in itself our strikers would all have been dropped in the same period as they have been profligate in front of goal during the same to say the least.

Still I'm in no doubt that those who want Oxley dropped will get their way in the next few weeks as they will barrack him until his confidence has dropped further.

I actually said before the game that Stubbs made the right call, with the usual 20/20 hindsight I think I was maybe wrong.

We had a chance to give Oxley a wee break from the flak and play a keeper who had shown something at the weekend, albeit in 1 game only, for a couple of weeks to see what happened. Stubbs could have managed it smartly with a quiet word in Oxleys ear, he's still young and his chance would come again.

In no way is any of that meant as a defence of the booing or abuse the guy takes btw. If he plays the next game he'll get my backing same as every Hibs player does when they step on the park.

marinello59
21-04-2016, 11:45 AM
I know I am a bit hard of hearing but I never heard any booing last night from the west lower.

I'm in the West Lower and it happened.

Peevemor
21-04-2016, 11:47 AM
i know i am a bit hard of hearing but i never heard any booing last night from the west lower.

i'm in the west lower and it happened.

He said that he's in the West lower and it happened.

southern hibby
21-04-2016, 11:50 AM
I'm all against Booing at players. However we celebrate when we score and cheer if something good happens. If a player is booed then it's because of a reason.

Obviously if the booing is loud enough to be heard then it's been done by an amount of fans who have made their disappointment known.

Maybe ( as some have said) if mister Stubborn hadn't played Oxley and left a goalkeeper in that hadn't played a game for 16 months that had an amazing game and didn't deserve to be dropped there wouldn't have been any booing.

I'll take it one stage further and say to AS you pick the team you manage and our leader. You allowed a player not playing to good at present to be put out there on the pitch. You take the responsibility of allowing a player to be set up for the fall.

Rant Over

GGTTH

J-C
21-04-2016, 11:52 AM
I've never understood booing individual players when they make a mistake, serves no purpose, yes we can all have a right old moan in the stands at the time but never boo, serves no purpose but I still reserve the right to boo if we get beat by a crap team at ER like we did against Morton.

steakbake
21-04-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm all against Booing at players. However we celebrate when we score and cheer if something good happens. If a player is booed then it's because of a reason.

Obviously if the booing is loud enough to be heard then it's been done by an amount of fans who have made their disappointment known.

Maybe ( as some have said) if mister Stubborn hadn't played Oxley and left a goalkeeper in that hadn't played a game for 16 months that had an amazing game and didn't deserve to be dropped there wouldn't have been any booing.

I'll take it one stage further and say to AS you pick the team you manage and our leader. You allowed a player not playing to good at present to be put out there on the pitch. You take the responsibility of allowing a player to be set up for the fall.

Rant Over

GGTTH

If Logan had played and he'd had a howler, I can absolutely guarantee that there'd have been threads on here berating Stubbs for picking him on the strength of only one good performance and wondering why we didn't go with our more experienced first keeper.

southern hibby
21-04-2016, 12:02 PM
If Logan had played and he'd had a howler, I can absolutely guarantee that there'd have been threads on here berating Stubbs for picking him on the strength of only one good performance and wondering why we didn't go with our more experienced first keeper.

Probably would have been. However you can only hope it would serve to rest Oxley and let him know he had / has competition for his place.
The big man deserved to keep his place fit/ unfit he did an outstanding job for us and what does it show other players on the fringes. If I come in play outstanding then I'm dropped straight away for AS favourite?

Fans are fickle of that I can't deny but if AS is coming out and blasting the fans because of their disappointment, then that makes him either blind/ stubborn or stupid

GGTTH

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 12:11 PM

Of course there would have been. Same as on Saturday the same people questioning Stubbs team selection at 12 were labelling Logan a hero 3 hours later. Football fans are fickle, it's been that way as long as I remember and probably a long time before that as well.

Oh and in terms of experience there isn't much between Logan, Oxley and Virtanen when it comes to games played.

leggeto
21-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Never bood a hibs player in my life but he needs dropped

ALF TUPPER
21-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Surprised, I didnt hear anyone boo Oxley last night . :confused:

jodjam
21-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Oxley and his team mates are 90 minutes away from being club legends. If we win next month then in 20 years time people will easily rattle off the names of the starting 11. Let's back them all

dangermouse
21-04-2016, 12:22 PM
Does booing or abuse to players affect the team? Of course it does. I've already mentioned the opening game against Dumbarton both here and on the PM board and, IMHO, the crowd cost us the game that day.

lapsedhibee
21-04-2016, 12:42 PM
I've never understood booing individual players when they make a mistake, serves no purpose, yes we can all have a right old moan in the stands at the time but never boo, serves no purpose but I still reserve the right to boo if we get beat by a crap team at ER like we did against Morton.

Agree. When I start booing I'm going to target specific areas of the team, such as the midfield.

steakbake
21-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Of course there would have been. Same as on Saturday the same people questioning Stubbs team selection at 12 were labelling Logan a hero 3 hours later. Football fans are fickle, it's been that way as long as I remember and probably a long time before that as well.

Oh and in terms of experience there isn't much between Logan, Oxley and Virtanen when it comes to games played.

Agreed - but one guy has had over 70 appearances in the past 2 years and the other has been doing little for the past 16 months and has 120 minutes game-time.

Also agree with the post later on - back the team. We're 90 minutes away from history and if that goes the right way, we'll know the name of the team for a long time to come.

Sioux
21-04-2016, 01:19 PM
However, it was a completely predictable scenario, and one Stubbs chose to instigate. There was only ever going to be one reaction from the fans after Logan's heroics. I know we can't tell from one game if Logan is actually better consistently, but putting oxley back in was only going to draw more attention to him when he was already a little low on confidence.

What a complete and utter pile of nonsense.

The fact that Stubbs made his own decision, probably with input from other coaches, means he was responsible for fans getting on Oxley's back because he should have predicted that and played someone else?

The whole thrust of this ‘Oxleygate’ is that certain fans don’t want him in the team coz he's the only keeper in the world that makes mistakes. So, Alan Stubbs should have listened to the fans before he picked his team, and should have acted on the fans’ recommendations, or else!

In a nutshell (or is that nuthoose), Logan should have played because the fans said so. We don’t need a manager.

Wait until HSL becomes a body of fan owners. We’ll have a ballot of the owners every week to decide what team goes on the park for each game. We won’t need a manager or coaching staff to decide and coach formations, tactics etc because the fans know best. They can pop along to East Mains and coach the team on a daily basis.

Everyone knows that in the real world the amateurs are far more knowledgeable than the professionals.

How can this new model possibly fail?

This week, month, season it's Oxley. When he goes who will be next? There is no doubt that there will be a 'next'.

The fans ken whits gawnoan.

marinello59
21-04-2016, 01:22 PM
He said that he's in the West lower and it happened.

:greengrin

Alfred E Newman
21-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Surprised, I didnt hear anyone boo Oxley last night . :confused:

Certainly none in the south end of the west lower.

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 01:53 PM
I am sure the fact that Rangers beat Celtc on Sunday and won the league at a canter has something to do with this as well. Transplant that goalkeeping howler to last year when they were behind us in the league and I bet their fans would have reacted differently.

Hibs fans get called on time and time again to get behind the team and they do this and turn out in large numbers, a very small amount of people may have boo'd when oxley made that howler last night, calling out all "fans" for this is pointless, if anyone was to blame it was Alan Stubbs. He created the scenario where he has dropped the player that got us to the cup final and within 45 minutes that players replacement had cost us a goal.

What went wrong with hibs was we became an awful team, badly run and eventually got relegated after a myriad of terrible signings and managers.
:agree:

Pete
21-04-2016, 01:58 PM

What the **** are you on about?

Stirring it again what a surprise.

hibee-boys
21-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Yeah Alan....and when you pick a crap goalkeeper it affects the whole team as well!!

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2016, 03:03 PM
He is absolutely right, the folk who were heckling ox are ********s

Mikey09
21-04-2016, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=hibee-boys;4656843]Yeah Alan....and when you pick a crap goalkeeper it affects the whole team as well!![/QUOTE

the reaction of his team mates last night when he came and claimed that corner in stoppage time showed everyone what they think of him. They're right behind Oxley... So should everyone else be!!

HFC 0-7
21-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Where i I agree it's most of your post I would add though that it's easy not to moan at your players when they have just wrapped up the league, on to the top league and just papped out your biggest rivals. Hibs on the other hand have been struggling and the keeper situation is a sore point for hibs.

that said the booing during the game is it of order as is singling that player out. I don't have a problem with folk booing the entire team after a bad performance at the end of the match as I think they have the right to.

As as to the booing effecting all the players, I find it a bit weak that the players were that bothered. Where I was it wasn't a lot of fans doing it and if I had been any one of the players I would have shrugged it off knowing it was the ******** fans that will always find something to boo about.

Ray_
21-04-2016, 03:23 PM

I'm afraid that I've always known it to have gone wrong. From Mervyn Jones to John Hazel, we have needed a fall guy throughout and this was undoubtedly the one big negative about going to ER (defeats weren't too good either).

givescotlandfreedom
21-04-2016, 03:26 PM
I didn't boo anyway and it needs to be remembered Oxley didn't pick himself. Stubbs deserves criticism though for picking a poor goalkeeper though IMO.

snooky
21-04-2016, 03:44 PM
Yeah Alan....and when you pick a crap goalkeeper it affects the whole team as well!!

Not intending this to be specifically about Oxley, more about Stubbs' statement in general and to broaden HB's post above.

One bad apple in a barrel turns the others rotten. Never seen the reverse happening - at least, fruitwise.

southern hibby
21-04-2016, 03:56 PM
[QUOTE=hibee-boys;4656843]Yeah Alan....and when you pick a crap goalkeeper it affects the whole team as well!![/QUOTE

the reaction of his team mates last night when he came and claimed that corner in stoppage time showed everyone what they think of him. They're right behind Oxley... So should everyone else be!!

Are they??? Take it you never seen David Gray rip him a new one for taking the ball out for a corner. Players will appreciate other players at certain times of the game of that their is no doubt. However this does not mean they are right behind him.
Also I have no proof they are not behind him, however I'm trying to be totally flexible in my view point over Oxley.

GGTTH

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 03:57 PM
I didn't boo anyway and it needs to be remembered Oxley didn't pick himself. Stubbs deserves criticism though for picking a poor goalkeeper though IMO.

Stubbs deserves credit because we won.

Keith_M
21-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Getting stick from your own Fans is hardly something new. Ask Jackie Mac senior about his early experiences at ER and the abuse he initially got from the (in)famous North Stand* end of the ground.

It took him quite a while to win them over but he had the bottle to do it.

* It was actually the North Wing of the Main Stand but it was always referred to as the North Stand in them days.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 04:29 PM

So he should be criticised for picking a winning team?

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 04:37 PM
So he should be criticised for picking a winning team?

Does this argument really stand up?

Football fans express opinions all the time about how a team can be improved, even a winning one. Just because we win a game surely doesn't mean the managers selection can't be debated. If everyone just accepted the manager always knows best then following football would be a whole lot duller.

That's a more general point as opposed to based on last night btw.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 04:41 PM
For me, if the team wins, then the manager was right. He can't do any more. And it's rich for the boo boys to criticise since they do not even see the players in training.

21-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Very few boos for Oxley but there were some (even before he made his mistake). Whoever did should be ashamed of themselves. Like it or not, he was picked and you should have been supporting him.

RIP
21-04-2016, 04:51 PM
One of the inherent weakness in our club starts with a small element in the stands. How many rival managers have we heard say "score early and their fans will get on their players back.

Our Hampden appearances echo this experience. When we concede our fans go deathly quiet and the team feel that slump on the park.

It may be an inappropriate comparison but it always amazed me how our fans were so feared on the streets yet so many are soft in the stands. How do we expect our team to be brave when a section of the support get on players backs?

"Cue the 'he's bad mouthing his own' bleatings.

givescotlandfreedom
21-04-2016, 05:13 PM

Football fans express opinions all the time about how a team can be improved, even a winning one. Just because we win a game surely doesn't mean the managers selection can't be debated. If everyone just accepted the manager always knows best then following football would be a whole lot duller.

Yeah we won in spite of the poor goalkeeper who cost gifted the opposition a goal to the surprise of nobody. We can't count on scoring 2 or 3 every week to keep a passenger who's not up to the job in a role he can't do. I don't blame Oxley, he can't help it if he's not good enough, that decision was Stubbs'.

The_Horde
21-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Can we please just get behind the team and manager FFS?

Particularly at the games.

euro Hibby
21-04-2016, 06:11 PM
there has always been some good hecklers at Easter road and some bad ones ! I prefer to support the team and think you win with 11 and lose with 11 and that is what Stubbs is saying. Being a hibee is a long road, with a lot of grief and some nice moments made good by all the grief. If you want to win cups and the league you would be best following one of the old firm but that can't be too much fun these days. As for Oxley, I think he could do better. The problem is we don't concede many shots and recently those few we do, seem to creep in. Hopefully, this argument will be all settled before the cup final and we will win something at last.

emerald green
21-04-2016, 06:13 PM
What was noticable last night was that when The Rangers went behind their fans got right behind them with huge vocal support. When their keeper made a clown of himself for our second their fans were not baying for him to be hooked they simply got behind their team all the more. This is true of the fans of most teams and I remember fondly when it was very much the case with our fans at ER too.

This is not "true of the fans of most teams".

My experience of Rangers (now The Rangers) and Celtic supporters, and Hearts supporters too for that matter, is that when they are losing a match at ER what you get from them usually is total silence, interspersed with angry shouts at their own players.

bingo70
21-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Can we please just get behind the team and manager FFS?

Particularly at the games.

We do.

The fans have been terrific the last couple of years and extremely patient with Stubbs who has had terrific backing throughout. Even during our bad run very little grief was directed at Stubbs at the games, on here it was a lot more hostile but this is the place to vent, good and bad.

Of course Oxley shouldn't get booed and I quite believe it would effect the team, wouldn't happen if we had a better keeper though so its an easy fix for Stubbs.

rcarter1
21-04-2016, 06:50 PM
Stubbs is spot on, booing any player is detrimental to the whole team. It shouldn't happen.

Agree with both parts. Stubbs is dead right, and booing players (particularly during games) can't help the team. Poor show from the booers. But Stubbs may realise in hindsight that sometimes you need to decisively act in the clubs interests by rewarding an outstanding contribution, and dropping someone from the team. its then up to the player so dropped to work back in. Its not that complicated really.

Still, if OX is in goals, then we need to back him and there rest of the lads all the way.

hibeerealist
21-04-2016, 07:07 PM

Wish he did that more often Mikey and this thread would not be here!

Sammy7nil
21-04-2016, 07:17 PM
Stubbs picked a winning team. There's nothing to look at.

Well why is Stubbs complaining the team won just get on with it he can't have it both ways.

Sammy7nil
21-04-2016, 07:22 PM
One of the inherent weakness in our club starts with a small element in the stands. How many rival managers have we heard say "score early and their fans will get on their players back.

Our Hampden appearances echo this experience. When we concede our fans go deathly quiet and the team feel that slump on the park.

It may be an inappropriate comparison but it always amazed me how our fans were so feared on the streets yet so many are soft in the stands. How do we expect our team to be brave when a section of the support get on players backs?

"Cue the 'he's bad mouthing his own' bleatings.

Hibs players can solve that score first it is not the fans fault.

eastterrace
21-04-2016, 07:24 PM
I'm afraid that I've always known it to have gone wrong. From Mervyn Jones to John Hazel, we have needed a fall guy throughout and this was undoubtedly the one big negative about going to ER (defeats weren't too good either). you missed out Lindsey Muir

Big L
21-04-2016, 07:51 PM
I'm afraid that I've always known it to have gone wrong. From Mervyn Jones to John Hazel, we have needed a fall guy throughout and this was undoubtedly the one big negative about going to ER (defeats weren't too good either).

Sevco fans wouldn't put up with Oxley errors for 2 minutes never mind 2 seasons, he's not good enough! 2 goals down to him last night, the Falkirk game, McGregor kneed it back to him, you would have thought it was a lump of white hot metal, it looked like he tried to knee it back to him. Alan Stubborn should have kicked his are last year!

CentreLine
21-04-2016, 08:35 PM
This is not "true of the fans of most teams".

My experience of Rangers (now The Rangers) and Celtic supporters, and Hearts supporters too for that matter, is that when they are losing a match at ER what you get from them usually is total silence, interspersed with angry shouts at their own players.

If that view helps people justify abusing our players then so be it. But saying its not true does not make it untrue.

McKenzie
21-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Sevco fans wouldn't put up with Oxley errors for 2 minutes never mind 2 seasons, he's not good enough! 2 goals down to him last night, the Falkirk game, McGregor kneed it back to him, you would have thought it was a lump of white hot metal, it looked like he tried to knee it back to him. Alan Stubborn should have kicked his are last year!
I wouldn't put up with their goaly either. We won chill out

gaz1875
21-04-2016, 09:19 PM
Since time immemorial players have been subjected to criticism by fans and that's not going to change any time soon. I don't agree with booing individual players under any circumstances, but they cant and never will be immune from getting panned if they play badly.

However, a player will always keep the fans onside when poor form is accompanied by 100% effort. I can think of a few who fall / fell into that category.

Gareth Evans ..... for a striker he was hardly prolific, but he gave everything in a Hibs jersey.

Ivan Sproul ...... when he was bad he was really bad, but his will to keep going was beyond question .. though frustration sometimes got him in bother :greengrin

And the latest on the list ( for me at least ) Fraser Fyvie ...... He is prone to the odd bad mistake, he has games where his passing just doesn't come off, but he never ever hides and always looks for the ball ..... I for one am really warming to him.

Up until now Mark Oxley has been ok as our keeper, but no more than that, he ( that I can recall ) has never had a memorable performance, nor has he had an utter Zibbiesque calamity. The corner at the end last night was his best moment in the game .... following the first goal, the fact that he carried the ball over to concede the corner and the clamour to have Logan replace him (which he must have been aware of) he obviously had determined that come what may he was going to claim that corner, no matter what it took. The upshot of all that was that he made the best catch of a ball into his box he has probably made all season.

But there's the problem in a nutshell ...... A professional keeper should be showing that determination to command his area at all times and its hard to make a good case to prove that Oxley does that. Too often he either lacks conviction when he goes for the ball, or he is indecisive about leaving his line and it all adds up to a keeper who gives the impression of being half hearted at times.

If the Mark Oxley who caught that corner last night was the Mark Oxley we see every week there wouldn't be a discussion to be had as to our number one keeper. As it is he now has competition from a keeper who in his one game for Hibs looked like he would be happy to rip off his own leg and chuck it at the ball if it would prevent a goal.

That gives Mark Oxley a problem and Alan Stubbs a selection dilemma ........ no amount of side swipes at the fans will change that, fans who by the way were brilliant last night.

Absolutely nailed it...You could see him bouncing on his toes for that corner from the FFU, I actually thought he's coming no matter what for that corner and waited for the inevitable....I was wrong perfect run magnificent catch and held the ball...where the **** has that been for the last couple of seasons...just maybe this could be a turning point for him.

Viva_Palmeiras
21-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Yogi raised it re Nish and Stubbs has now raised it yet folks persist.
Maybe the venters should meet with the manager for a pictorial illustration to get the point across?

matty_f
21-04-2016, 11:29 PM

Did you see our second goal? Their keeper took no flak for it.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 11:37 PM
Yeah we won in spite of the poor goalkeeper who cost gifted the opposition a goal to the surprise of nobody. We can't count on scoring 2 or 3 every week to keep a passenger who's not up to the job in a role he can't do. I don't blame Oxley, he can't help it if he's not good enough, that decision was Stubbs'.

You sound gutted we won.

Onion
21-04-2016, 11:44 PM
[QUOTE=NAE NOOKIE;4656594]Since time immemorial players have been subjected to criticism by fans and that's not going to change any time soon. I don't agree with booing individual players under any circumstances, but they cant and never will be immune from getting panned if they play badly.

:agree: Agree 100% with this. Remember the same thing with Nish. He was getting hammered by Hibs fans, reacted to it in the media, and then low and behold played his best game for Hibs scoring a hat trick in that 6-6 horror show against Well. Nish always had it in him but was lazy and chose to play the fall guy most of his career.

givescotlandfreedom
21-04-2016, 11:54 PM
You sound gutted we won.

Hardly, I was delighted we won but we won't get results we need giving away howlers.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 11:58 PM
Hardly, I was delighted we won but we won't get results we need giving away howlers.

Why are you not picking out the numerous mistakes made by the other players during the game?

Brightside
22-04-2016, 12:06 AM
I wouldn't put up with their goaly either. We won chill out

i agree their goalie is pish...but they think he should be an england goalie.....thats the difference. Im not an oxley fan but i would never ever boo a player.

Captain Trips
22-04-2016, 06:58 AM

Indeed however we haven't got results from our play in the final 3rd and that for me is why we fell away in league,

bingo70
22-04-2016, 07:04 AM

That's because he's been good for them this season. Nobody grudges a good player having an off day. When a pretty unpopular player that many feel shouldn't be playing in the first place has yet another bad game of course people will complain.

HFC 0-7
22-04-2016, 07:25 AM

They have won the league easily and just papped out there biggest rivals from the cup so it's a very different scenarios. Still no place for booing a player during the game though!!

CentreLine
22-04-2016, 07:40 AM
They have won the league easily and just papped out there biggest rivals from the cup so it's a very different scenarios. Still no place for booing a player during the game though!!

Added to which we had just papped our third premiership team to reach the cup final and are still in the hunt for promotion. Not a whole lot different from the Huns so far. Absolutely agree, no place for booing our own players

hibs0666
22-04-2016, 07:44 AM
That's because he's been good for them this season. Nobody grudges a good player having an off day. When a pretty unpopular player that many feel shouldn't be playing in the first place has yet another bad game of course people will complain.

Give me a bad player that already has 20 shut-outs this season. Hibs supporters relish having a player to hate, it seems to make the hatred even better when it is entirely irrational.

Danderhall Hibs
22-04-2016, 07:50 AM

:agree: apart from on Wednesday obviously.

dangermouse
22-04-2016, 07:57 AM

What a load of tosh. Going by a number of threads there is more support for Oxley than dissenters. Why not do something different the next time you are at a game and shout a bit of encouragement to the players even if they make a stray pass or fail to catch a cross.

I always work better when I'm encouraged rather than being told I'm crap I'm sure it will be the same for you. Footballers are no different.

HFC 0-7
22-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Added to which we had just papped our third premiership team to reach the cup final and are still in the hunt for promotion. Not a whole lot different from the Huns so far. Absolutely agree, no place for booing our own players

Big difference though, papping out that team was arguably down to the player that didnt get a game because of oxley. Hibs are going to struggle to change the mindset of these fans or rid the stands of them. At the game on Wednesday there were a couple of guys shouting at mcginn because he made 1 misplaced pass. Shouting at him asking how he is still getting a game! Crazy stuff!

GreenLake
22-04-2016, 08:51 AM

Even Ferguson picked Cleverly instead of Pogba. :greengrin

SJM
22-04-2016, 09:10 AM

Not a whole lot different from the Huns? Are you kidding me? They pissed the league with games to spare and have met their objective of promotion. Weds meant nothing to them whilst it meant everything to us fighting to go up. If it was this time last year their keeper bawsed up guaranteed he would have got abuse.

Theres always some some that portray our fans as ones that get on the back of players and managers for no reason, stay away apart from finals and don't do enough. It's all ****, we have the most patient brilliant fans looking back at the last ten years. We are still waiting on the benefits of selling our best players to build training grounds and stands to be years ahead of our rivals. We where told to be patent and back the club, we have time and time again and even after relegation we have came out again backing the club and manager and players on the park. Pardon me if someone of us are apprehensive bordering on ****ting it about not going up this season and if a couple of players aren't good enough people are worried about it. It's not less supporting the team. Oxley booing I'm going to guess was more at Stubbs for playing him more than the guy himself but whoever booed is not on. It's frustration tho as we have seen it time and again over the years.

Captain Trips
22-04-2016, 09:25 AM
I wouldnt expect a manager to say anything else of course they will say not to boo, however my take is Oxley has made some mistakes that have led to goals and that is purely on him, its his fault he has misjudged shots nobody but him, Cummings, Stokes and everyone else in the final 3rd you have missed very good chances throughout the campaign we should have had a lot more goals that is down to the players not making right choice when it counts and somehow missing when it seems easier to score.

Players make mistakes midfielders make the wrong passes, defenders make the wrong call it happens all the time it has nothing to do with the support at ER for anything that has gone on during the match. Look at hampden 25-30k supports vs 4/5 k full backing and we lose due to errors and thats the way it is.

Oxley is simply not the best goalie it is his own fault pure and simple, Cummings needs to grow up a bit thats on him. All our players could do different things but there is far to much focus on what the fans at Hibs are like and how it affects us, we are no different from other clubs. We are 3rd due to the players and manager 100% and if they dont like booing then try and judge things better.

givescotlandfreedom
22-04-2016, 09:54 AM
Why are you not picking out the numerous mistakes made by the other players during the game?

Nobody else cost us a goal.

SunshineOnLeith
22-04-2016, 09:57 AM
Heckling our own goalie while we win a massive game is the most 'Hibs fans' thing that's happened all season.

Fergus52
22-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Heckling our own goalie while we win a massive game is the most 'Hibs fans' thing that's happened all season.

nah, hibs fans NEVER abuse the players or manager "its all ****"

Ilovehibs
22-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Well why is Stubbs complaining the team won just get on with it he can't have it both ways.

Spot on. I think Stubbs should think twice about commenting negatively about the fans- surely him criticising the fans creates the same negative effect as the fans criticising players, the whole point of his complaint! A tad ironic.

I agree that booing is completely unhelpful and does nothing other than generate negativity. I never boo the team.
However, to come out after a crucial victory at this massively important time for our club and comment negatively on something to do with a minority of fans shows that he takes things too personally.
It has been noticeable for a while now that he hasn't acknowledged the fans at the end of games and I think that's a real shame. Come on Stubbsy, you know the majority of us back the team all the way. You have said repeatedly that the fans have been great since you came to the club. That hasn't changed. Fans will always express their opinions. As a manager you have to deal with that.

Now is is a time for everyone to pull together to back our beloved club and end this season on an all time high. We can do it together.

GreenArmyyy!
22-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Anybody that booed or boos our own players whilst in our strip shouldn't bother coming back. I don't particularly rate Oxley but he's not making errors on purpose for christ sake!

SJM
22-04-2016, 01:49 PM
Anybody that booed or boos our own players whilst in our strip shouldn't bother coming back. I don't particularly rate Oxley but he's not making errors on purpose for christ sake!

Perhaps it was the decision to play him that was jeered? Again uncalled for but I don't think it's that personal.

blackpoolhibs
22-04-2016, 02:04 PM
I wouldnt expect a manager to say anything else of course they will say not to boo, however my take is Oxley has made some mistakes that have led to goals and that is purely on him, its his fault he has misjudged shots nobody but him, Cummings, Stokes and everyone else in the final 3rd you have missed very good chances throughout the campaign we should have had a lot more goals that is down to the players not making right choice when it counts and somehow missing when it seems easier to score.

Players make mistakes midfielders make the wrong passes, defenders make the wrong call it happens all the time it has nothing to do with the support at ER for anything that has gone on during the match. Look at hampden 25-30k supports vs 4/5 k full backing and we lose due to errors and thats the way it is.

Oxley is simply not the best goalie it is his own fault pure and simple, Cummings needs to grow up a bit thats on him. All our players could do different things but there is far to much focus on what the fans at Hibs are like and how it affects us, we are no different from other clubs. We are 3rd due to the players and manager 100% and if they dont like booing then try and judge things better.

Abso****inlutely. :top marks

makaveli1875
22-04-2016, 02:19 PM
i didnt boo him myself and i dont agree with it but everyone could see what was going to happen if stubbs played oxley after conrads heroics , everyone except stubbs apparently
for the 1st time in a long while we were watching a keeper that we had confidence in , performing the sort of heroics that we so often watch our opponents keepers do to our forwards . earning our 1st clean sheet in 2 months and turning in the best individual performance iv seen from a hibs player in a long time as well as picking up the MOTM - when was the last time a hibs keeper left the stadium with the champagne ? i cant even remember
stubbs dismisses all of that to put the guy in who has not kept a clean sheet for 2 months and wonders why folk are annoyed when he makes a horrendous blunder :confused:

emerald green
22-04-2016, 05:37 PM
If that view helps people justify abusing our players then so be it. But saying its not true does not make it untrue.

As I indicated in my previous post, it's my experience of attending matches at ER, and at other grounds elsewhere in the UK and abroad for many years, that when the home team is winning inevitably the away fans are by and large silenced.

The likes of The Rangers, Celtic & Hearts supporters are definitely not so loud in their support of their team when they are losing. That's simply a fact.

It's not a "view" to help people justify "abusing our players". I'm not trying to justify any such thing.

brianmc
22-04-2016, 07:48 PM
Haven't read the whole thread so apologies if this has already been mentioned. Before this turned into a multi pager about the rights and/or wrongs of Hibs fans booing their own team , we started with a quote from Stubbs. Who was clearly making the point that he and his coaching staff never single out individuals for criticism after a game because it effects their confidence - in other words "we win as a team and lose as a team" - his comments had hee haw to do with any real or perceived abuse from the stands.
Just thought I should mention it as it seems to have been lost in translation somewhat.