PDA

View Full Version : Tavernier, Wallace and 3,5,2

h18eeynick
20-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Been saying for months that 3,5,2 suits us to score goals and nulify teams . In the November win against The Rangers their full backs did nothing . Exactly the same tonight other than Oxleys error from Taverniers cross with Wallace and Tavernier hardly in the game . I didnt think we played well tonight and Fyfie , who i like , had a poor passing ratio ( but stuck in hence choice of words) and once again I have no nails left having thought we would see it out with 2 goal lead

truehibernian
20-04-2016, 09:13 PM
The Rangers cannot defend balls into their box - whether it's set pieces or corners - fatal weakness which I hope we exploit in the final. Celtic won nearly every header in the box at the weekend and tonight was no different.

Has to be 3-5-2 for the rest of the season if injuries don't interfere.

h18eeynick
20-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Noticed tonight that despite them getting a good few corners that they took them short instead of putting in box

Wee Effen Bee
20-04-2016, 09:17 PM
Been saying for months that 3,5,2 suits us to score goals and nulify teams . In the November win against The Rangers their full backs did nothing . Exactly the same tonight other than Oxleys error from Taverniers cross with Wallace and Tavernier hardly in the game . I didnt think we played well tonight and Fyfie , who i like , had a poor passing ratio ( but stuck in hence choice of words) and once again I have no nails left having thought we would see it out with 2 goal lead
Opinions eh? Fyvie has a thread dedicated to him and suggesting he had a great game...which I agree with. :greengrin

h18eeynick
20-04-2016, 09:20 PM
Opinions eh? Fyvie has a thread dedicated to him and suggesting he had a great game...which I agree with. :greengrin
Not saying he had a bad game but you surely have to agree that his passing was poor . Made his contribution in getting stuck in

Brightside
20-04-2016, 09:26 PM
It works very well against teams that come forward....but Stubbs is right not to use it for most games...the majority of teams play with 10 behind the ball.

500miles
20-04-2016, 09:27 PM
Not saying he had a bad game but you surely have to agree that his passing was poor . Made his contribution in getting stuck in

Fyvie is always looking for a pass to split the defence, or create problems. His pass completion rate will always suffer a bit.

mcfly
20-04-2016, 09:28 PM
Formation was spot on tonight.

Bartley again was outstanding and I thought stokes worked very hard.

Good win but 1st goal we lost was horrific and oxley cannot justify his place. He is very very shaky

h18eeynick
20-04-2016, 09:30 PM
It works very well against teams that come forward....but Stubbs is right not to use it for most games...the majority of teams play with 10 behind the ball.

But that is also my argument ! Why play 4 at the back when you are better playing 3 and pushing players up. 4 4 2 doesnt work and havent seen 4 3 3 having success and i think most goals have been 3 5 2

Brightside
20-04-2016, 09:32 PM
But that is also my argument ! Why play 4 at the back when you are better playing 3 and pushing players up. 4 4 2 doesnt work and havent seen 4 3 3 having success and i think most goals have been 3 5 2

But the 442 is actually 244 in attack. You;d never play 3 CHs against a team that will only put 1 striker up....

Wee Effen Bee
20-04-2016, 09:38 PM

Sorry, I can't agree. Think we need to look at what types of passes he is capable of producing and then see if others' similar passes reached their target. I also think he is a passing midfielder - compared to, say, McGinn, who will run with the ball more. He can also take a pass in and hold it till space opens up. Thought he was immense tonight and you are nit-picking a bit:greengrin.

SunshineOnLeith
20-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Regardless of formation, the 'Rangers' game plan needs to be very different from any other league game simply because they will actually attack us. Both 442 and 352 can be attacking or defensive, it's not as simple as just choosing one over the other.

h18eeynick
20-04-2016, 09:40 PM
But the 442 is actually 244 in attack. You;d never play 3 CHs against a team that will only put 1 striker up....

Not from what i watch every week though as our defence dont get forward in open play and just pass the ball back and forwards . How often do we see a centre half in attack during normal play but Wallace And Tavernier have probably scored more other than Jason than the rest of our players put together

Fergus52
20-04-2016, 09:41 PM

when we played the back three at home to Alloa we destroyed them and they had everyman defending behing the ball, it can be very attacking when the wide centre backs start joining the attacks

Borderhibbie76
20-04-2016, 10:31 PM
Formation was spot on tonight.

Bartley again was outstanding and I thought stokes worked very hard.

Good win but 1st goal we lost was horrific and oxley cannot justify his place. He is very very shaky

Ru going to slag Oxley on every single thread 2nite...totally boring now

Sir David Gray
20-04-2016, 10:32 PM
I thought Tavernier in particular was totally ineffective tonight.

The tactics were spot on.

LaMotta
20-04-2016, 10:37 PM
I thought Tavernier in particular was totally ineffective tonight.

The tactics were spot on.

He has met his match in Super John McGinn.

Sir David Gray
20-04-2016, 10:39 PM
He has met his match in Super John McGinn.

:agree::not worth

I personally think the guy is extremely average (Tavernier not McGinn! :greengrin) bar the odd good free kick.

jonny
20-04-2016, 10:40 PM
when we played the back three at home to Alloa we destroyed them and they had everyman defending behing the ball, it can be very attacking when the wide centre backs start joining the attacks

I agree and think the 352 provides us with our best options in attack and defence. If it were up to me I'd say play like this every week and let other teams worry about how to deal with how we play as opposed to vice-versa.
As far as I'm concerned we've got the best players in the league, we should be dictating games, not accommodating them.

gaz1875
20-04-2016, 10:49 PM
There were a few top performances and no one much better than Lewis Stevenson, both wingers had a go at him tonight, and I thought he came out on top...:top marks

GreenOnions
20-04-2016, 11:27 PM

I agree that it worked well tonight and I would consider it for the final. However, in that November win at ER we played 4-4-2. It was The Rangers who tried a 3-5-2 against us that day and it backfired on them.

Onion
20-04-2016, 11:35 PM
Noticed tonight that despite them getting a good few corners that they took them short instead of putting in box

Noticed that, yet everyone knows one of Hibs biggest weaknesses is dealing with any high balls into the box ?? Oxley had already shown how innept he is at dealing with even innocuous crosses. Weird.

If we didn't know better, you'd think Sevco were going easy on us tonight :confused: Hibs worked their socks off but Sevco hardly got out of 2nd gear. Will be very different in the SCF.