PDA

View Full Version : Oxley

Pages : 1 [2]

Hibee_Craig7062
21-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Should have saved the second in my opinion. People comparing Mckays goal last night to his one on Sunday as an attempt to defend Oxley. First of all his one on Sunday was from closer in and across the goal keeper STRAIGHT IN to the top corner. Last night he is at a wider angle on the pitch and beats Oxley at the closest post to where he strikes the ball from. Oxley fails to move fast enough yet still gets a finger tip to it. If he anticipates that shot better he saves it easily. It was not a comparable strike to his one against the soapies

superfurryhibby
21-04-2016, 07:24 AM
Waist height? Jeezo.

In my opinion, if Oxley had taken a step to his left, the ball would have been past him before he'd had a chance to dive at all.

It was a rocket of a shot and it swerved away from the keeper.

https://youtu.be/dKOWQ60TeoM

Aye, sometimes the opposition score and that's that. It was a fantastic shot, saveable? Maybe if your'e a first class keeper, but you don't tend to find them in the second tier of Scottish football really.

The first goal was shoddy and Ox didn't do well enough, generally steady game though, with a couple of good saves thrown in.

I reckon it's time people calmed themselves, the levels of vitriol on some of these comments are preposterous. Our resident undercover Yams must be creaming themselves when they read them. Gie it a rest chaps, FFS.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Very true mate but that Cross at the death was caused by him when he tried to catch the ball when it was clearly going past the post.

That's true. Better safe than sorry after the first goal though!

Hibbyradge
21-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Should have saved the second in my opinion. People comparing Mckays goal last night to his one on Sunday as an attempt to defend Oxley. First of all his one on Sunday was from closer in and across the goal keeper STRAIGHT IN to the top corner. Last night he is at a wider angle on the pitch and beats Oxley at the closest post to where he strikes the ball from. Oxley fails to move fast enough yet still gets a finger tip to it. If he anticipates that shot better he saves it easily. It was not a comparable strike to his one against the soapies

Look at the clip above again. Oxley doesn't get near it before it's past him.

marinello59
21-04-2016, 07:30 AM

Not picking on you on particular but people are twisting go themselves in knots to blame Oxley for the second goal. Play it back in real time and Oxley had no chance.

mcfly
21-04-2016, 07:31 AM
look after being at the game and watching the highlights back I don't see how oxley can be forgiven here.

The 1st goal is shocking - a nothing ball into the box just deal with it.

2nd goal was a great strike but he looked slow. He could be forgiven for that.

However I'm concerned by his judgement and positional sense. He punches rather than catches, people say he made a great save at the end but he caused it!! If he had left the ball it was out for a goal kick but he gifted them a corner and you could see gray was raging at him.

He doesn't inspire confidence and now he has real competition I'm concerned he can't deal with it.

He's not undroppable

Walter
21-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Does anyone think a 9 page thread slating our keeper us the way to go? Jeezo. He's on OUR team! If I got slated at my work as often as he did I'd be in bits and it would not be be helping me!

My fellow fans make me despair.

Hibee_Craig7062
21-04-2016, 07:33 AM
I played it back a few times last night on the sky plus with a clear head and he didn't give himself the chance with poor anticipation/movement. I'm not twisting myself in knots to blame him for it. my post states it's my opinion he could have saved it and to compare the hun boys strike from Sunday to his one last night is comparing apples and oranges

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 07:34 AM
Aye, sometimes the opposition score and that's that. It was a fantastic shot, saveable? Maybe if your'e a first class keeper, but you don't tend to find them in the second tier of Scottish football really.

The first goal was shoddy and Ox didn't do well enough, generally steady game though, with a couple of good saves thrown in.

I reckon it's time people calmed themselves, the levels of vitriol on some of these comments are preposterous. Our resident undercover Yams must be creaming themselves when they read them. Gie it a rest chaps, FFS.

What is this persistent obsession with supposed yams being on this forum .. People have the rite to be critical regardless of who is looking at the post. and in this case people are quite rite to be critical of the goalkeeper and before you say this will " inspire confidence in the lad" sarcastically.. it won't have any effect as it is a forum and has no effect what so ever on the players. What does have an effect is supporters on match day who seemed to come unanimously to the same conclusion of oxley yesterday as the majority on this forum. Booing a player however is unacceptable I admit.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 07:45 AM
This is my last post on the subject because it's boring me now, if a conversation like this dragged on as long in the pub some radge in the corner would tell us all to shut it in a menacing growl.

To my memory Oxley has had 5 mistakes this season that have resulted in goals against:

V Dumbarton opening day. Poor wall set up for a free kick and poor positioning. Everyone in the ground could see where the ball was going. I remember looking to the bench and Alan Combe was just about having a fit.

V Falkirk at ER. Easy shot he spilled at the feet of a striker.

V Morton at ER. Palmed a low cross straight to a striker.

V Dumbarton away. Came for a cross. Didn't get near it.

And of course the 1st last night.

That's not saying no one else played any part in the goals or whatever, such is the life of a keeper that if the final error is theres it gets remembered. That's been the case long before social media, which gets the blame for everything nowadays, was around.

Oxley is clearly struggling with his confidence imo. That's when keepers start coming out for balls that aren't theres or not coming for ones that are. People booing him isn't going to help this btw. Bearing those mistakes in mind and the potential confidence issues maybe it's time to take him out the firing line. Stubbs obviously rates Oxley, I don't believe he picks anyone based on sentiment. His distribution will be a big factor I'd wager and I also reckon he likes the fact you know what you'll get with Oxley to an extent, he's not the type to go all maverick out of the blue.

There needs to be a balance where people need to accept Oxley has made errors and with goalkeepers they stick, likewise others need to accept he's not all bad and stop trying to blame him for every goal we concede, the 1st at Raith a few weeks ago and the 2nd last night being prime examples. A wee break for Oxley to go away and work hard in training whilst we bring in a guy who is by all accounts a huge personality to shoulder the Hibs goalkeeping burden for the next few weeks until we take another look at things seems the sensible way to go imo.

Ronniekirk
21-04-2016, 07:50 AM
He couldn't of predicted the swerve on that ball Which took it away from him or it would of been saved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springbank
21-04-2016, 07:52 AM
look after being at the game and watching the highlights back I don't see how oxley can be forgiven here.

The 1st goal is shocking - a nothing ball into the box just deal with it.

2nd goal was a great strike but he looked slow. He could be forgiven for that.

However I'm concerned by his judgement and positional sense. He punches rather than catches, people say he made a great save at the end but he caused it!! If he had left the ball it was out for a goal kick but he gifted them a corner and you could see gray was raging at him.

He doesn't inspire confidence and now he has real competition I'm concerned he can't deal with it.

He's not undroppable

absolutely this
i haven't booed Oxley yet
i will from now on. He cannot play in this cup final. It's too big for a lazy goalie who was shockingly embarrassing at the first goal.
he needs dropped, full stop.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2016, 07:53 AM
This is my last post on the subject because it's boring me now, if a conversation like this dragged on as long in the pub some radge in the corner would tell us all to shut it in a menacing growl.

To my memory Oxley has had 5 mistakes this season that have resulted in goals against:

V Dumbarton opening day. Poor wall set up for a free kick and poor positioning. Everyone in the ground could see where the ball was going. I remember looking to the bench and Alan Combe was just about having a fit.

That's not saying no one else played any part in the goals or whatever, such is the life of a keeper that if the final error is theres it gets remembered. That's been the case long before social media, which gets the blame for everything nowadays, was around.

Oxley is clearly struggling with his confidence imo. That's when keepers start coming out for balls that aren't theres or not coming for ones that are. People booing him isn't going to help this btw. Bearing those mistakes in mind and the potential confidence issues maybe it's time to take him out the firing line. Stubbs obviously rates Oxley, I don't believe he picks anyone based on sentiment. His distribution will be a big factor I'd wager and I also reckon he likes the fact you know what you'll get with Oxley to an extent, he's not the type to go all maverick out of the blue.

There needs to be a balance where people need to accept Oxley has made errors and with goalkeepers they stick, likewise others need to accept he's not all bad and stop trying to blame him for every goal we concede, the 1st at Raith a few weeks ago and the 2nd last night being prime examples. A wee break for Oxley to go away and work hard in training whilst we bring in a guy who is by all accounts a huge personality to shoulder the Hibs goalkeeping burden for the next few weeks until we take another look at things seems the sensible way to go imo.

Really good post.

Let's get behind the team and hope our reserve keeper is as good as he was on Saturday.

Springbank
21-04-2016, 07:54 AM
What is this persistent obsession with supposed yams being on this forum .. People have the rite to be critical regardless of who is looking at the post. and in this case people are quite rite to be critical of the goalkeeper and before you say this will " inspire confidence in the lad" sarcastically.. it won't have any effect as it is a forum and has no effect what so ever on the players. What does have an effect is supporters on match day who seemed to come unanimously to the same conclusion of oxley yesterday as the majority on this forum. Booing a player however is unacceptable I admit.
Re your last sentence. when the manager is as stubborn as ours is, what is the alternative way to show your displeasure?

marinello59
21-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Re your last sentence. when the manager is as stubborn as ours is, what is the alternative way to show your displeasure?

Booing a player during a match certainly isn't the way to go. That's doing the opposition fans job for them. Utter stupidity.

HibbyScott
21-04-2016, 08:07 AM
absolutely this
i haven't booed Oxley yet
i will from now on. He cannot play in this cup final. It's too big for a lazy goalie who was shockingly embarrassing at the first goal.
he needs dropped, full stop.

Will you then boo Logan if he comes in and drops a clanger? We've seen an excellent debut be forgotten pretty damn quick from outfield players before... bound to be forgotten even quicker if it's a goalkeeping blunder that costs us a game.

Yes, Logan had an excellent debut, but he's unlikely to be a world class keeper, and may be just as prone to mistakes as the rest of them. We've not had a lot of luck with keepers in the time that I've been watching Hibs, so I can understand the desire to have one who looks solid to come in, but what happens if/when Logan makes a mistake too? What if it costs us a game? Do we start booing him? Do we boo Stubbs for wilting to the desires of the fans? Do we boo Oxley because if he wasn't on the bench then Logan would have saved it?

Logan had a good debut, an excellent debut. However, we can't assume based on that one game that he's the goalkeeping Messiah we've been waiting for.

I agree with the previous posters stating that Oxley needs a break, for his good as much as anyone else's. Unfortunately it's now getting to the very very pointy end of our season... Maybe Stubbs will also think that Oxley needs a break? Maybe he talks it through with Alan Combe and the rest of the coaching staff and based off what they see in training every day they think that Oxley is still our best bet and number 1 keeper. Whatever happens, we have to get behind the team that our management team pick to play our remaining important fixtures. Booing won't help anyone at this point when we need some confidence!

supermcginn
21-04-2016, 08:10 AM
I think, and it's a weird thing to say about a goalkeeper but to me he looks lazy.

That attempt for the first was cringey.

The second goal I thought he could of done better, it was his side of the goal and he got a hand to it. Maybe after seeing it again I would change my mind but I doubt it.

I used to like him but now it just seems like it takes him an eternity to move or get down to low shots.

His save at the end was OK, one I would expect my keeper to make.
I agree, he seems to lack heart and braveness which is vital for any goalie!

Hibbyradge
21-04-2016, 08:12 AM

If you can't control your emotions and you are hopelessly compelled to let someone know you're not pleased, you could write an angry note.

Maybe make a phone call.

Or send a letter. Try an email. Even a text or use Twitter.

Booing our goalkeeper will make your ego feel better though so go for it. Even if it hurts our team.

Your displeasure can not be denied. It must be demonstrated.

Loud as you can, now.

green day
21-04-2016, 08:13 AM
What is this persistent obsession with supposed yams being on this forum .. .

Because they exist and are sometimes fairly obvious ?

--------
21-04-2016, 08:15 AM

I'm not sure I would say he 'should' have saved it, but when I saw it as it happened my first thought was that he was slow. He seems to spend a lot of his time 'on his heels' so to speak, not up on his toes anticipating trouble. I agree with JimB - he was slow, he was back on his heels, his balance was wrong, and an alert keeper WOULD have done better than he did. His whole stance and body movement (and his handling errors) tell the opposition that he's there for the taking...

The FIRST Rangers' goal? Don't get me started...

Not picking on you on particular but people are twisting go themselves in knots to blame Oxley for the second goal. Play it back in real time and Oxley had no chance.

My problem right now is that Stubbs has more or less said that failing injury or abduction (now THERE'S an idea! :devil:), Oxley WILL PLAY, regardless of his form or the form of the other keepers, and normally I would have expected a keeper who produced the form that Logan produced on Saturday to retain his place. Especially when the other is clearly struggling for form.

Unless the manager had a policy of 'one keeper for the league and one for the cups' - which Stubbs doesn't have - usually a keeper plays until he has a howler, then he's replaced by his oppo, who plays until HE has a howler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the loss of a two-goal lead to Falkirk a week or so ago wasn't entirely unconnected to a goalkeeping error? Oxley didn't look terribly convincing even before the loss of the two late goals? Wasn't THAT what was in people's minds last night?

Does anyone REALLY believe that we would be IN the Cup Final if Oxley hadn't got himself booked at Inverness and suspended for the semi?

PS - can someone please clarify - right at the end Oxley took a high ball close by his right-hand post. It looked to me as if the ball was going out for a goal-kick until Oxley took it high above his head and carried it over for a Rangers corner? Then stuck his arms out and tried to claim he hadn't carried it behind the line? I was distracted at the moment (spilled my coffee over myself - auld age) and didn't quite see what happened.

PPS - Watching last night, the thought occurred to me more than once that I'd rather have big Maka than this guy right now.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 08:20 AM

Booing is just as selfish as Cummings penalty.

J-C
21-04-2016, 08:22 AM
I'm not sure I would say he 'should' have saved it, but when I saw it as it happened my first thought was that he was slow. He seems to spend a lot of his time 'on his heels' so to speak, not up on his toes anticipating trouble. I agree with JimB - he was slow, he was back on his heels, his balance was wrong, and an alert keeper WOULD have done better than he did. His whole stance and body movement (and his handling errors) tell the opposition that he's there for the taking...

The FIRST Rangers' goal? Don't get me started...

My problem right now is that Stubbs has more or less said that failing injury or abduction (now THERE'S an idea! :devil:), Oxley WILL PLAY, regardless of his form or the form of the other keepers, and normally I would have expected a keeper who produced the form that Logan produced on Saturday to retain his place. Especially when the other is clearly struggling for form.

Unless the manager had a policy of 'one keeper for the league and one for the cups' - which Stubbs doesn't have - usually a keeper plays until he has a howler, then he's replaced by his oppo, who plays until HE has a howler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the loss of a two-goal lead to Falkirk a week or so ago wasn't entirely unconnected to a goalkeeping error? Oxley didn't look terribly convincing even before the loss of the two late goals? Wasn't THAT what was in people's minds last night?

Does anyone REALLY believe that we would be IN the Cup Final if Oxley hadn't got himself booked at Inverness and suspended for the semi?

PS - can someone please clarify - right at the end Oxley took a high ball close by his right-hand post. It looked to me as if the ball was going out for a goal-kick until Oxley took it high above his head and carried it over for a Rangers corner? Then stuck his arms out and tried to claim he hadn't carried it behind the line? I was distracted at the moment (spilled my coffee over myself - auld age) and didn't quite see what happened.

PPS - Watching last night, the thought occurred to me more than once that I'd rather have big Maka than this guy right now.

The ball was indeed going out by at least 1 yard, he should've left it but instead put the defence under more pressure, poor judgement again.

HibbyScott
21-04-2016, 08:26 AM
The ball was indeed going out by at least 1 yard, he should've left it but instead put the defence under more pressure, poor judgement again.

Poor judgement yes, and a mistake. However, if I were Mark Oxley and I knew I had already misjudged the flight of one ball and lost a goal from it and I knew that the fans were already on my back and had been for weeks, I also would have taken it to make sure. Yes it put us under a bit of pressure, but imagine if it had been misjudged the other way, and he did a "Simon Brown" with the last piece of action in the game. I know which route I would have gone down if I were a goalkeeper!

Libby Hibby
21-04-2016, 08:26 AM

Here, Here

J-C
21-04-2016, 08:30 AM
Poor judgement yes, and a mistake. However, if I were Mark Oxley and I knew I had already misjudged the flight of one ball and lost a goal from it and I knew that the fans were already on my back and had been for weeks, I also would have taken it to make sure. Yes it put us under a bit of pressure, but imagine if it had been misjudged the other way, and he did a "Simon Brown" with the last piece of action in the game. I know which route I would have gone down if I were a goalkeeper!

But it was a yard past the post, what goalkeeper doesn't know where his post is when he's right beside it, very poor indeed, another mistake from a catalogue of season long mistakes.

HibbyScott
21-04-2016, 08:37 AM
But it was a yard past the post, what goalkeeper doesn't know where his post is when he's right beside it, very poor indeed, another mistake from a catalogue of season long mistakes.

It's not like he was completely unchallenged and running it out. He was having to collect the ball with Sevco players and our defenders all in and around the box. A yard isn't that much in the grand scheme of things! I think that people are being overly harsh with this incident in particular and are actively looking for something to beat him with.

Their first goal - awful mistake
Second goal - good strike - could he have got it, maybe, but I don't think he deserves the amount of stick that he's getting for it
This one - minor - very very minor, and then took an excellent catch from the corner to make up for it too!

He's not the perfect goalie, and I'm sure no-one is trying to pretend that he is. However, I don't think he's as bad as people make out! Pretty Boy's assessment of the mistakes that he's made is pretty spot on I think - I can't think of many more than that - and would be interested to see you produce your "catalogue of season long mistakes" in the same format!

JimBHibees
21-04-2016, 08:45 AM

Some no doubt adding to the hysteria. This is a crucial time of the season the last thing that needs to happen is fans thinking they know better than the manager and coaches who pick the team. They see these guys on a daily basis and are in the best position to judge. Oxley has been a reasonable goalie for Hibs and if the manager continues to choose him he needs the fans support and certainly not any negativity at games as big as our next ones are..

Stevie Reid
21-04-2016, 08:50 AM

I am a defender of Oxley, but I also remember him letting in a very soft goal from Waghorn in the 6-2 game at ER - think it was their third, just after half time.

I think your post is excellent though. Oxley is in a difficult position right now, as so many of the support are ready to turn - or have already turned - on him. Last night he was unquestionably at fault for the first goal, I haven't had another look at the second yet to make up my mind, but he also made two good saves at crucial times - the Lee Wallace one on one when we were winning 1-0 in the first half, and the save at the end at 3-2. He also made a great take from their last corner after he had carried the ball over the line to give it away in the first place.

It is understandable that people focus on the mistakes, especially if they lead to a goal - however, there was a moment last night when Rangers played a free kick into the box and Oxley made an excellent punch, which arced away from danger at a good height, and easily went at least 30 yards from goal towards the touchline; in short, it was very good goalkeeping, yet he got absolute pelters from much of the crowd for it. That is very unfortunate.

He was always going to be under real scrutiny after the weekend, and his mistake for the first goal hasn't helped his case - but I still don't think he warrants what he gets from many of the Hibs support. I've always said, and still maintain that I don't believe for one second that our last two seasons would have been any better with a different goalkeeper.

JimBHibees
21-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Disagree - want and expect better from Hibs. He is becoming the weakest link and you cannot afford to play a keeper low in confidence and obvious skills in the run up to a very important season. Ask yourself one question: 'has Oxley ever saved the Hibs from a defeat?'

Has he ever saved a penalty?

Sometimes you have to do what's best for the whole team and the club and the Hipster needs dropped.

wtf

JimBHibees
21-04-2016, 08:54 AM
I am a defender of Oxley, but I also remember him letting in a very soft goal from Waghorn in the 6-2 game at ER - think it was their third, just after half time.

I think your post is excellent though. Oxley is in a difficult position right now, as so many of the support are ready to turn - or have already turned - on him. Last night he was unquestionably at fault for the first goal, I haven't had another look at the second yet to make up my mind, but he also made two good saves at crucial times - the Lee Wallace one on one when we were winning 1-0 in the first half, and the save at the end at 3-2. He also made a great take from their last corner after he had carried the ball over the line to give it away in the first place.

It is understandable that people focus on the mistakes, especially if they lead to a goal - however, there was a moment last night when Rangers played a free kick into the box and Oxley made an excellent punch, which arced away from danger at a good height, and easily went at least 30 yards from goal towards the touchline; in short, it was very good goalkeeping, yet he got absolute pelters from much of the crowd for it. That is very unfortunate.

He was always going to be under real scrutiny after the weekend, and his mistake for the first goal hasn't helped his case - but I still don't think he warrants what he gets from many of the Hibs support. I've always said, and still maintain that I don't believe for one second that our last two seasons would have been any better with a different goalkeeper.

Good post the Mournhos in the crowd need to STFU.

JimBHibees
21-04-2016, 09:00 AM
Look at the clip above again. Oxley doesn't get near it before it's past him.

Thought at the game he may have saved it as was watching from FF upper and the shot seemed to be from further out. On second viewing McKay hits it from behind Lewis and it swerves away high into the net. Dont think at all the keeper can be blamed for that. Great strike.

Libby Hibby
21-04-2016, 09:05 AM
Thought at the game he may have saved it as was watching from FF upper and the shot seemed to be from further out. On second viewing McKay hits it from behind Lewis and it swerves away high into the net. Dont think at all the keeper can be blamed for that. Great strike.

Great strike agreed, positioning suspect

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 09:07 AM
Some no doubt adding to the hysteria. This is a crucial time of the season the last thing that needs to happen is fans thinking they know better than the manager and coaches who pick the team. They see these guys on a daily basis and are in the best position to judge. Oxley has been a reasonable goalie for Hibs and if the manager continues to choose him he needs the fans support and certainly not any negativity at games as big as our next ones are..

More chance of you pair being under cover yams.. you seem to like to mention them a lot. Double agents ;)

--------
21-04-2016, 09:13 AM

That's what I thought. The ball was well past and he misjudged it badly and gave them an unnecessary corner right at the end of t.he game

First thing a keeper has to know us where he is in relation to his posts. It's about angles and judgement and if a keeper doesn't have it he's a liability.

What was almost worse was the pathetic way he tried to convince the referee that he hadn't carried it over.

I hate saying this, but as things stand, if he plays in the Final, we have no chance at all. If Logan plays, we have a chance - not a big one, maybe, but a chance.

I cannot understand why Stubbs dropped Logan last night. Fair enough if the first choice is Cech or De Gea or Buffon (or Goram or Leighton or Burridge) but Oxley's form has been so poor for so long ....:dunno:

PercyHibs
21-04-2016, 09:16 AM
And a bunch of Hibs fans (along with no doubt a fair number of Jambo trolls) are contributing to his lack of confidence.

Tonight proves the cup is there for the winning - are we going to help the team do it or pick them off one by one?

I completely agree, fans forget the influence the have on players. Im not saying fans should be happy with Oxleys performances but he was on a hiding to nothing before the game kicked off yesterday. Some people will never change their mind no matter what happens.

Drop him and take him out the spotlight. I would like to know why we've went most of the season with a goalie on the bench who isn't ready for 1st team football.

My_Wife_Camille
21-04-2016, 09:41 AM
Having seein it again, people are clutching at straws massively with that second one. The guy makes plenty errors as it is without having make up new ones.

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 09:42 AM
I completely agree, fans forget the influence the have on players. Im not saying fans should be happy with Oxleys performances but he was on a hiding to nothing before the game kicked off yesterday. Some people will never change their mind no matter what happens.

Drop him and take him out the spotlight. I would like to know why we've went most of the season with a goalie on the bench who isn't ready for 1st team football.

The hibs forum contributes nothing to a players performance! Supporters at games can.. unless you are suggesting there were hearts fans at the game yesterday

Hiber-nation
21-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Really - how then was he horizontal and in mid air when the ball wnet past him?

Did he have a pogo stick.

You're right pish isn't valid - bucket of ***** is.

Thanks for that bizarre retort.

Diclonius
21-04-2016, 10:08 AM
No one would have saved McKay's shot - it was an excellent goal.

Oxley is clearly under pressure and it has affected his game - Logan is the obvious choice in goal. But all this gnashing of teeth, vitriolic personal abuse - is it really needed? Deary me.

bigwheel
21-04-2016, 10:12 AM

Oxley is clearly under pressure and it has affected his game - Logan is the obvious choice in goal. But all this gnashing of teeth, vitriolic personal abuse - is it really needed? Deary me.

i think the bigger cause on their second goal we (Stevenson?) should have been quicker to close down the space...

easty
21-04-2016, 10:15 AM

It was a good strike by McKay. Maybe a Lloris, De Gea or Cech would have got it, but only maybe.

I reckon, if it had been Logan in goals last night, it still would have gone in, but nobody would be questioning why he didn't save it. Says a lot really. Oxley made a big mistake for the first goal, no doubt about that, but he's on a hiding to nothing now anyway, fault is found in Oxley whether he's at fault or not. When he's no really at fault you'll still find plenty saying it's his positioning, or his speed, or his lack of presence, or he's looking lazy. I'm not convinced he'll win those folk round, regardless of what he does now.

Stevie Reid
21-04-2016, 10:17 AM
i think the bigger cause on their second goal we (Stevenson?) should have been quicker to close down the space...

To be fair, you have to sacrifice territory somewhere when you are defending against a team that is good in possession like Rangers - if we restricted every team we play to shots from that range, we'd be doing ok.

FWIW, having seen the second goal again, I don't blame Oxley at all - as others have pointed out, the shot has been bent round Stevenson, and is simultaneously swerving further away from Oxley, and picking up speed, as it flies into the corner. It was an excellent goal.

PercyHibs
21-04-2016, 10:24 AM
The hibs forum contributes nothing to a players performance! Supporters at games can.. unless you are suggesting there were hearts fans at the game yesterday

I was meaning the supporters at games. Ironic cheers, booing and abuse. All leads to the downfall of a players performance and confidence. I dont understand your reference to the hearts fans.

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 11:04 AM
And a bunch of Hibs fans (along with no doubt a fair number of Jambo trolls) are contributing to his lack of confidence.

Tonight proves the cup is there for the winning - are we going to help the team do it or pick them off one by one?

I was meaning the supporters at games. Ironic cheers, booing and abuse. All leads to the downfall of a players
performance and confidence. I dont understand your reference to the hearts fans.

You agreed that a fair number of jambo trolls are contributing to Oxleys lack of confidence which is not the case unless yam supporters where their yesterday when fans voiced their disappointment. As i said before this forum contrubutes nothing to a players performance

HappyHanlon
21-04-2016, 11:12 AM
The second Sevco goal was a good strike but Oxley tried to save from a standing position whereas if he had taken a couple of steps he would have got to the ball with ease. Two goals completely his fault. Alan Stubborn can't defend him any longer.

And there it is....the sappy manager name calling.

J-C
21-04-2016, 11:56 AM
And there it is....the sappy manager name calling.

Compared to other recent manager name calling this one isn't too bad, we all know he is stubborn.

Bad Martini
21-04-2016, 12:13 PM
He's been unfairly blamed at times this season and I've defended him but that was an absolute shocker.

Not sure if he misjudged the flight and thought it was going over or what but he showed zero conviction going for that ball, heart of a mouse and you could have got a pink news under his feet.

:agree:

That's where I am on it too.

I'd have left the winning team on the pitch unless injury, fatigue or genius strategical movement was required.

None of these apply to Logan and Oxley AFAIK.

PercyHibs
21-04-2016, 01:35 PM

You agreed that a fair number of jambo trolls are contributing to Oxleys lack of confidence which is not the case unless yam supporters where their yesterday when fans voiced their disappointment. As i said before this forum contrubutes nothing to a players performance

I didn't mean the hearts supporters at all. Purely meant the hibs ones. Sorry will be more specific in future. Can see why you thought that.

Do you agree though that fans (hibs fans at games) can play a part in affecting a players confidence (good or bad) ?

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 01:49 PM
I didn't mean the hearts supporters at all. Purely meant the hibs ones. Sorry will be more specific in future. Can see why you thought that.

Do you agree though that fans (hibs fans at games) can play a part in affecting a players confidence (good or bad) ?

No reason to apologies :wink: Of course fans can have an impact on a players performance its the same at every club though.. Booing is wrong i admit that but it will never stop its part and parcel of football. Many people at the game yesterday believed Logan should have been in goals yest based on the fact that oxley hasn't exactly been inspiring this season so were always going to vent their frustration at any opportunity.

PercyHibs
21-04-2016, 02:00 PM
No reason to apologies :wink: Of course fans can have an impact on a players performance its the same at every club though.. Booing is wrong i admit that but it will never stop its part and parcel of football. Many people at the game yesterday believed Logan should have been in goals yest based on the fact that oxley hasn't exactly been inspiring this season so were always going to vent their frustration at any opportunity.

Agreed, I just think people are too quick to vent their anger whether its because of whats happened in the past few years at the club or whatever, I dont know. Abusing a player (Ive not seen anything like the abuse he got at Dumbarton away before) is only gonna have one result. I agree Oxley has been hopeless of late but last night I seen a young goalie there completely void of confidence. Im not completely blaming the fans but they've contributed to that.

I know most people wanted logan in last night (including me) but Logan might not work out. He's not match fit so who knows what could happen. We might then need Oxley back, in the final play off game or something.

Its small margins in football and I dont want to think we, the fans, are having a negative impact on something which could affect our chances of going up.

KeithTheHibby
21-04-2016, 02:05 PM
That's what I thought. The ball was well past and he misjudged it badly and gave them an unnecessary corner right at the end of t.he game

First thing a keeper has to know us where he is in relation to his posts. It's about angles and judgement and if a keeper doesn't have it he's a liability.

What was almost worse was the pathetic way he tried to convince the referee that he hadn't carried it over.

I hate saying this, but as things stand, if he plays in the Final, we have no chance at all. If Logan plays, we have a chance - not a big one, maybe, but a chance.

I cannot understand why Stubbs dropped Logan last night. Fair enough if the first choice is Cech or De Gea or Buffon (or Goram or Leighton or Burridge) but Oxley's form has been so poor for so long ....:dunno:

Even though, we just beat the team we shall play in the cup final with Oxley in goal? I am no Oxley fan either however your point is utter rubbish.

pacoluna
21-04-2016, 02:06 PM
Agreed, I just think people are too quick to vent their anger whether its because of whats happened in the past few years at the club or whatever, I dont know. Abusing a player (Ive not seen anything like the abuse he got at Dumbarton away before) is only gonna have one result. I agree Oxley has been hopeless of late but last night I seen a young goalie there completely void of confidence. Im not completely blaming the fans but they've contributed to that.

I know most people wanted logan in last night (including me) but Logan might not work out. He's not match fit so who knows what could happen. We might then need Oxley back, in the final play off game or something.

Its small margins in football and I dont want to think we, the fans, are having a negative impact on something which could affect our chances of going up.

What has effected our chances of going up is one of the worst runs I have ever seen watching hibs considering the opposition. Small margins or not if we fail to go up it will not been down to the supporters.

PercyHibs
21-04-2016, 02:10 PM
What has effected our chances of going up is one of the worst runs I have ever seen watching hibs considering the opposition. Small margins or not if we fail to go up it will not been down to the supporters.

Not completely. Absolutely not. Its a combination of alot of thing. I dont want to be part of anything thats prevented us from going up though. I just think the abuse of Oxley is OTT. I know its football/sport and we're not all going to stand clapping and cheering when things dont go our way but theres being frustrated and then theres just down right over the top abuse.

hibee-boys
21-04-2016, 02:16 PM
The way he claimed that last corner and got surrounded by the players you'd think he'd just made a world class save, it was a decent take, nothing more. If we'd drawn or lost that game thanks to his errors last night people on here would've been a lot less forgiving. His fumble just about caused us 2nd place, will it cause us to lose the cup?

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 02:59 PM
The way he claimed that last corner and got surrounded by the players you'd think he'd just made a world class save, it was a decent take, nothing more. If we'd drawn or lost that game thanks to his errors last night people on here would've been a lot less forgiving. His fumble just about caused us 2nd place, will it cause us to lose the cup?
Yep, what would pro footballers know? Everyone knows we should be listening to moaning barstewards on football forums instead.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Compared to other recent manager name calling this one isn't too bad, we all know he is stubborn.Have you met the guy? To be quite honest you haven't a ****ing clue if he is Stubborn or not.

marinello59
21-04-2016, 04:16 PM

So no matter what he does you and others will give him no credit. This has all moved beyond reasonable criticism to people just being vindictive. Sad stuff.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 04:31 PM

Unlike you the players are in this together.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 04:34 PM

Maybe the players like the guy and knew he would be hurting from his error? Maybe they were delighted he had played a part in securing a huge 3 points?

From my own experience every footballer in the dressing room isn't friends with everyone else, that's true of every workplace, but most have an affinity and wouldn't like to see a team mate struggle or be subjected to what Oxley was at times last night.

banarc7062
21-04-2016, 04:40 PM
Can't help but feel sorry for him .

Has your nose stopped growing? :greengrin

SJM
21-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Yep, what would pro footballers know? Everyone knows we should be listening to moaning barstewards on football forums instead.

You really do like to berate everyone with a difference of opinion to you don't you?

Wee Effen Bee
21-04-2016, 05:28 PM
...If we'd drawn or lost that game thanks to his errors last night people on here would've been a lot less forgiving. His fumble just about caused us 2nd place, will it cause us to lose the cup?

You see, this is what happens: despite a whole rake of fans arguing that Oxley was not at fault for the second goal, some decide that he definitely was. This type of myopic reasoning has gone on for months. Now the 'facts' are that our goalie is: dire; crap; rubbish....etc! How on Earth did he 'just about' cost us second place? 'IF' is such a small word but one that casts a large shadow.

eastterrace
21-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Rubbish. A well struck goal, Credit to the striker, no blame for the keeper on that one. see you still sticking up for him give you credit for that but he is pish tho

sleeping giant
21-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Has your nose stopped growing? :greengrin

I did feel sorry for him. Yes I wanted Logan to start but I felt Oxleys pain after the goal.
I certainly wasn't glad.

hibs0666
21-04-2016, 06:39 PM
see you still sticking up for him give you credit for that but he is pish tho

Enjoy life. Our lads just pumped the Huns yet you still want to have a pop?

Try getting in the trenches with then rather than being against them?

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 06:40 PM
You really do like to berate everyone with a difference of opinion to you don't you?

:blah:

Ironic.

marinello59
21-04-2016, 06:43 PM
see you still sticking up for him give you credit for that but he is pish tho

Nobody is defending him for the first goal. He will be beating himself up over that and won't need all the Billy the Fish like keepers on here to point that out. He wasn't to blame for the second goal, some of the contrived ways that people are trying to prove that he was is remarkable.

Danderhall Hibs
21-04-2016, 06:45 PM
Nobody is defending him for the first goal. He will be beating himself up over that and won't need all the Billy the Fish like keepers on here to point that out. He wasn't to blame for the second goal, some of the contrived ways that people are trying to prove that he was is remarkable.

:agree:

marinello59
21-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Enjoy life. Our lads just pumped the Huns yet you still want to have a pop?

Try getting in the trenches with then rather than being against them?

Well said. People outside of our club will take great delight if we mess up the end of the season. Time for us all, players, fans and management to pull up the draw bridge and stick together.

J-C
21-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Have you met the guy? To be quite honest you haven't a ****ing clue if he is Stubborn or not.

Yes I have met him a few times and a very nice bloke he is too,maybe have ago at the guy who called him a name and where did I say I agreed with him, I just said there have been worse names used, so wind yer neck in a bit. Oh and he is quite stubborn when it comes to tactics, picking players off form and his substitution, been mentioned by loads of posters on here.

oneone73
21-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Well said. People outside of our club will take great delight of we mess up the end of the season. Time for us all, players, fans and management to pull up the draw bridge and stick together.

Agree 100 per cent.

eastterrace
21-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Enjoy life. Our lads just pumped the Huns yet you still want to have a pop? Try getting in the trenches with then rather than being against them? I'm not against them I just made a comment that he is pish my opinion you probably think he good , your opinion

Joe Baker2
21-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Full time. Hibs 3-2 Oxley.

brilliant!

Shrekko
21-04-2016, 07:09 PM
I think he's been awful and it's not on the basis of a dislike for him which is why I was horrified at the booing of him last night. This is just FAR too important a time in the clubs history for that kind of detrimental stuff.

It's clear now that he's our number 1 come hell of high water so therefore we all need to get behind him at games and help his confidence.

I thought the final act of the game was a terrific bit of goalkeeping - it was probably a bit of desperation on his part but he proved it was possible for him to make that kind of intervention. Let's not make him more nervous than he needs to be.

SJM
21-04-2016, 07:14 PM
:blah:

Ironic.

Typical response from you I suppose :agree:

Hibrandenburg
21-04-2016, 07:21 PM
This thread has it all, it's completely nuts.

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 07:50 PM
Typical response from you I suppose :agree:

Put it this way.

I don't know who you are and from what I've seen I can see you've got an opinion about something and I respect that you've got an opinion. That doesn't mean that I have to respect your actual opinion nor does it mean that I can't point out how misguided it is, nor does it stop me from pointing out that I'd rather trust the opinion of our professional football players and manager who see players day in, day out over the opinion of some jumped up loudmouths with a personal vendetta against one of our own.

Feel free to find out what a typical response is to stupidity but I'll run rings around you, son.

MWHIBBIES
21-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Yes I have met him a few times and a very nice bloke he is too,maybe have ago at the guy who called him a name and where did I say I agreed with him, I just said there have been worse names used, so wind yer neck in a bit. Oh and he is quite stubborn when it comes to tactics, picking players off form and his substitution, been mentioned by loads of posters on here.:faf: aye that makes it true right enough.

Maybe, just maybe, he thinks those things are the best option?

Bronson
21-04-2016, 07:53 PM
He's Zibi Malkowski level, ****ing dreadful.

eastterrace
21-04-2016, 08:03 PM
He's Zibi Malkowski level, ****ing dreadful. na he will never be as bad as that clown

SJM
21-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Put it this way.

I don't know who you are and from what I've seen I can see you've got an opinion about something and I respect that you've got an opinion. That doesn't mean that I have to respect your actual opinion nor does it mean that I can't point out how misguided it is, nor does it stop me from pointing out that I'd rather trust the opinion of our professional football players and manager who see players day in, day out over the opinion of some jumped up loudmouths with a personal vendetta against one of our own.

Feel free to find out what a typical response is to stupidity but I'll run rings around you, son.

Ooft, check her out :greengrin

What professional footballers or managers judgement are you trusting exactly? The manager for sticking by him? This time two weeks ago when you where shouting your mouth off about alternatives and people slating the keeper for no reason where talking nonsense and he was decent etc etc, he's getting found out more and more and still you come out with the vendetta push. The only vendetta is to have a good winning side and if that means pointing out our keeper week after week is weak link then fair enough. Your the one being a jumped up loudmouth against others you don't share the same opinion with and that's your issue. My issue is Hibernian fc getting promoted this season and I'm inclined to share my frustrations through this message board why you seem to take it all so personally just because you you judged the keeper to be good when he's anything but is your issue. Nobody wanted oxley to throw one in before half time last night but many weren't surprised either. He's an accident waiting to happen and inspires no confidence along the way. You rate him fair dos I won't berate you for that regardless.

gorgie greens
21-04-2016, 08:06 PM
He's Zibi Malkowski level, ****ing dreadful.

I wish I could put a defence for what you said but I can't ,
When you think what Fergie did to Leighton at the FA cup final and he was not chucking them in the net but the defence lost confidence in him and I feel the same has happened at Hibs.
But I have never booed or verbally abused any guy while playing for Hibs

Sudds_1
21-04-2016, 08:07 PM
Maybe Stubbs played a clever card here.........want to show loyalty to his first choice so brings him back in knowing that if he has a bad one there's a good reason to drop him for Conrad. He win both ways.....showed loyalty in giving the gloves back to his No. 1......but now has the reason to make the change he knows needs to be made.

Will b interesting to see who is between the sticks next game.................................

Big L
21-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Any keeper pulling of the saves that Big Logan did in the semi final on top of which he also saves 2 penalties to get us in to the final, would have been in the team for the next game. The fact that he wasn't tells me Stubbs is just being totally stubborn! No manager would have put Oxley in after Logans display.

stantonhibby
21-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Any keeper pulling of the saves that Big Logan did in the semi final on top of which he also saves 2 penalties to get us in to the final, would have been in the team for the next game. The fact that he wasn't tells me Stubbs is just being totally stubborn! No manager would have put Oxley in after Logans display.

Maybe Logan isn't fit enough for 2 games in 5 days.

flash
21-04-2016, 08:21 PM
Football is littered with stand in goalies performing heroics. Almost without exception the recognised number one returns when available regardless.
In other words yer talking mince.

Northernhibee
21-04-2016, 08:34 PM
Ooft, check her out :greengrin

What professional footballers or managers judgement are you trusting exactly? The manager for sticking by him? This time two weeks ago when you where shouting your mouth off about alternatives and people slating the keeper for no reason where talking nonsense and he was decent etc etc, he's getting found out more and more and still you come out with the vendetta push. The only vendetta is to have a good winning side and if that means pointing out our keeper week after week is weak link then fair enough. Your the one being a jumped up loudmouth against others you don't share the same opinion with and that's your issue. My issue is Hibernian fc getting promoted this season and I'm inclined to share my frustrations through this message board why you seem to take it all so personally just because you you judged the keeper to be good when he's anything but is your issue. Nobody wanted oxley to throw one in before half time last night but many weren't surprised either. He's an accident waiting to happen and inspires no confidence along the way. You rate him fair dos I won't berate you for that regardless.

He made one error in the Rangers game (whilst under immense pressure from the stands) yet was solid the rest of it and made some vital saves (which he apparently never makes). Maybe if he received support then the mistake would be eliminated.

There are too many people on here - far too many people - who value their (largely, with the exception of a few posters itk) unqualified opinions over that of professional coaching staff, footballers, scouts, managers, players and the vast majority of arguments against Oxley have been debunked on here yet the same posters keep mouthing on and on and on - even after a victory against the league leaders where we should be celebrating and backing the team.

I gain my opinions either from personal experience or from experts on any given subject who are most qualified and experienced. One person on here mentioned something about Oxley's footwork for the second goal and you get several posters parroting the same thing, even though it's quite frankly bollocks.

You do not have to respect someones opinion, merely that they may have a different opinion. If their opinion is clearly bollocks then I'm quite entitled to say so. There is a horrible namby pamby idea nowadays that everyone's opinion is to be respected and listened to and left unchallenged - if you're not prepared to listen to a counter argument then don't put up an argument in the first place.

That last paragraph isn't directed at you btw, it's a general gripe of mine.

Pretty Boy
21-04-2016, 09:01 PM
Guys and girls I think this thread has gone on quite long enough.

Everyone has had their say and it's clear a lot of people are never going to agree. It's not really even a thread about Mark Oxley anymore so I'm going to close it.

If anyone disagrees with the decision please PM me and I'll be happy to give my reasons why but I'm sure reading through the last few pages it is fairly obvious.