PDA

View Full Version : James Fowler sacked.

greenlex
19-04-2016, 03:27 PM
QoS have biulleted James Fowler. Harsh? He lost a lot of decent players from his squad last year.

Billychaotic182
19-04-2016, 03:29 PM
Very very harsh

J-C
19-04-2016, 03:32 PM
Very harsh, think they have to remember just who they are and where they belong, lost a good few decent players and never replaced them, they are where they probably belong mid table.

Sir David Gray
19-04-2016, 03:39 PM
They have gone backwards though since they obviously qualified for the play offs last season and it looks like they may finish around 20 points away from a play off place this season and that's despite one of the "big 3" not being in the league this year.

I can probably understand this decision if i'm honest.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Very harsh, think they have to remember just who they are and where they belong, lost a good few decent players and never replaced them, they are where they probably belong mid table.

They belong some way above Ross County and Inverness Caley Thistle in the grand scheme of things.

J-C
19-04-2016, 03:53 PM
They belong some way above Ross County and Inverness Caley Thistle in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe so but not at this moment in time, they're a half decent team who did well last season.

Hibs Class
19-04-2016, 03:53 PM

Who are they and where do they belong?

J-C
19-04-2016, 03:54 PM
Who are they and where do they belong?

Erm QOS, we're discussing the sacking of Fowler they're ex manager.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Maybe so but not at this moment in time, they're a half decent team who did well last season.

At this moment in time and putting them 'where they belong' strikes me as a wee bit misguided though. As I said. They belong above both those teams. Not doing well, but at that rate, we belong alongside Dumbarton and we should remember it? **** that!

Hibs Class
19-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Erm QOS, we're discussing the sacking of Fowler they're ex manager.

:confused: I'm up to speed with the thread thanks! Your previous post suggested that QoS should remember who they are and where they belong, that suggested you have a view on who they are and where they belong, that's all I asked you to share.

J-C
19-04-2016, 04:05 PM
:confused: I'm up to speed with the thread thanks! Your previous post suggested that QoS should remember who they are and where they belong, that suggested you have a view on who they are and where they belong, that's all I asked you to share.

Their history shows they came from the national/regional leagues, they've had some limited success in minor competitions and reached the cup final in 2008 against Rangers, mid table championship is about where they are with the occasional cup run now and then.

nairn hibee
19-04-2016, 04:05 PM
Can't see where you get that from ,they have done more in the short time they have been in the Scottish league,than queens have done in 90 ,

SunshineOnLeith
19-04-2016, 04:44 PM
they have to remember just who they are and where they belong

Quite right, how dare they have any ambition.

J-C
19-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Quite right, how dare they have any ambition.

If they had ambition they wouldn't have sold their best players, mid table championship team with a decent young manager,feel sorry for Fowler.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 05:12 PM
Can't see where you get that from ,they have done more in the short time they have been in the Scottish league,than queens have done in 90 ,

All a question of belonging then I suppose. One trip to Palmerston would suggest they belong in a better place than those. Just my opinion mind. Based on belonging.

Michael
19-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Really surprised that they didn't give him at least the first half of next season.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2016, 05:46 PM
All a question of belonging then I suppose. One trip to Palmerston would suggest they belong in a better place than those. Just my opinion mind. Based on belonging.

All about money, McGregor has pumped a lot into Ross County. My opinion, but don't think 2 teams in the premiership is good for the commercial activities of the league! But at the end of the day, it's all about football

oneone73
19-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Indeed. A proper old football club, unlike the unloveable entity that is the Inverness Caley takeover of Inverness Thistle.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 06:33 PM
Their history shows they came from the national/regional leagues, they've had some limited success in minor competitions and reached the cup final in 2008 against Rangers, mid table championship is about where they are with the occasional cup run now and then.

Where has this come from? History shows nothing of the sort. History shows them to be an established Scottish League side for longer than you or anyone else alive can remember.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 06:37 PM
All about money, McGregor has pumped a lot into Ross County. My opinion, but don't think 2 teams in the premiership is good for the commercial activities of the league! But at the end of the day, it's all about football

I'm not certain what you're getting at there Billy, but it's always and only ever been about football.

J-C
19-04-2016, 06:49 PM
Where has this come from? History shows nothing of the sort. History shows them to be an established Scottish League side for longer than you or anyone else alive can remember.

National leagues 2/3 etc and a couple of wins in regional cups ( Scottish League South and West (Wartime League) – Runners Up 1939–40, Western League – Champions 1922–23, Southern Counties League – Winners 1996–97 )

Yes they are an established Scottish team but please don't try and make them out to be something they just are not, Apart form a couple of decent Scottish cup runs, they've knocked around league 2 ( championship ) and league 3 for most of their 90 year history. Fowler did an ok job with the team he had, sitting around 4-7 th in this league is about where they should be.

ancient hibee
19-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Queens came into the top division at the beginning of the 1930s and pretty much stayed there for 30 years.They were always a middle of the division team and are usually quoted as one of the teams suitable for a place in an expanded Premiership which many on here seem to crave.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 07:06 PM
National leagues 2/3 etc and a couple of wins in regional cups ( Scottish League South and West (Wartime League) – Runners Up 1939–40, Western League – Champions 1922–23, Southern Counties League – Winners 1996–97 )

Yes they are an established Scottish team but please don't try and make them out to be something they just are not, Apart form a couple of decent Scottish cup runs, they've knocked around league 2 ( championship ) and league 3 for most of their 90 year history. Fowler did an ok job with the team he had, sitting around 4-7 th in this league is about where they should be.

You're getting your wires crossed and only seeing the things you want to when you're looking things up. They finished fourth in the top division in 1933 (more than we did) and are an established Scottish LEAGUE side. I'm not making them out to be anything other than that. I know what they are but I couldn't say exactly where they 'belong' other than historically, it's way above Ross County and ICT to name two.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 07:11 PM

And by the way, that's a stoatir of a cut and paste....were they really only bouncing about the Southern Counties League as recently as 1996? :cb

Hibs Class
19-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Queens came into the top division at the beginning of the 1930s and pretty much stayed there for 30 years.They were always a middle of the division team and are usually quoted as one of the teams suitable for a place in an expanded Premiership which many on here seem to crave.

:agree: My dad grew up watching Queens, saw all the top league teams, including the famous five. Whilst they fell away before the formation of the premier league, I still regard Queens as one of the casualties of the premier league - they may not be in the top ten clubs in Scotland but I think they could hold their own in a larger top league.

ACLeith
19-04-2016, 07:24 PM

Spot on. I have an emotional connection to them for family reasons so maybe a wee bit biased but they are part of the lifeblood of the Scottish game. A club rooted in their local community.

They lost players under freedom of contract (Danny C for one) so success this season would have been the playoffs. Very surprised at what they have done unless there is more to it than we know.

Good luck Queens, except when they play us of course!

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 07:29 PM
:agree: My dad grew up watching Queens, saw all the top league teams, including the famous five. Whilst they fell away before the formation of the premier league, I still regard Queens as one of the casualties of the premier league - they may not be in the top ten clubs in Scotland but I think they could hold their own in a larger top league.

:agree: Dunno if these will work, but your old boy may have seen a couple of these.

J-C
19-04-2016, 07:56 PM
You're getting your wires crossed and only seeing the things you want to when you're looking things up. They finished fourth in the top division in 1933 (more than we did) and are an established Scottish LEAGUE side. I'm not making them out to be anything other than that. I know what they are but I couldn't say exactly where they 'belong' other than historically, it's way above Ross County and ICT to name two.

And by the way, that's a stoatir of a cut and paste....were they really only bouncing about the Southern Counties League as recently as 1996? :cb

I never said they were not an established Scottish club but merely felt that sacking Fowler was a bit ott considering where they are as a club. The stoatir of a cut and paste was from wiki and I honestly haven't got a clue if it was a reserve team trophy or what as I've never heard of Southern Counties league :greengrin

Anyway I still think sacking Fowler was out of order.

Billy Whizz
19-04-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm not certain what you're getting at there Billy, but it's always and only ever been about football.

I agree, but the Ross County chairman has plenty of money, hence the fact that they are punching above their weight. Queens are a good little clubt though, but could do with some investment

Hibs Class
19-04-2016, 07:59 PM
:agree: Dunno if these will work, but your old boy may have seen a couple of these.

Cheers. I don't think he really travelled to away games. He used to have to spend Saturday mornings helping my grandad with his fruit and veg van, and he only got to home games if the round was finished. If he asked for a saturday off to go to an away match he would have got a thick ear!

DH1875
19-04-2016, 08:04 PM
I can understand the decision, what I don't get is the timing of it. Why not wait until the end of the season.

Iggy Pope
19-04-2016, 08:05 PM
Cheers. I don't think he really travelled to away games. He used to have to spend Saturday mornings helping my grandad with his fruit and veg van, and he only got to home games if the round was finished. If he asked for a saturday off to go to an away match he would have got a thick ear!

::greengrin
Stories like your Dad's are what the game we all love is all about. Or should be.

schinkenotto
19-04-2016, 08:08 PM
Until relatively recently,Queens were a top league team.The first time I saw Hibs was against Queens in 1958.Hibs team:-

Leslie,Grant,McLelland,Turnbull,Paterson,Baxter,Fr aser,Aitken,Baker,Preston and Ormond.Score 4-0 Hibs!

Queens had a legendary long serving goalie-Roy Henderson and a top scoring centre forward-Jim Paterson.

J-C
19-04-2016, 08:08 PM
::greengrin
Stories like your Dad's are what the game we all love is all about. Or should be.

True, I love hearing old stories about football from times past, they were better days to be a supporter.

eastmainsmsh
19-04-2016, 08:37 PM
Gary Locke applied ?

killie-hibby
19-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Until relatively recently,Queens were a top league team.The first time I saw Hibs was against Queens in 1958.Hibs team:-

Leslie,Grant,McLelland,Turnbull,Paterson,Baxter,Fr aser,Aitken,Baker,Preston and Ormond.Score 4-0 Hibs!

Queens had a legendary long serving goalie-Roy Henderson and a top scoring centre forward-Jim Paterson.

During that era at ER I remember watching a reserve game at Easter Road against QOS. George Farm ex Hibs was in goal for them. Crowd was 8000. The usual crowd for a reserve game at that time averaged 2000.

h18eeynick
19-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Not sacked but no contract offer so walked with 2 games to go

Joe's ice cream
20-04-2016, 07:55 AM
I live in Dumfries and so know a fair few QOS fans- I would suggest reaction to Fowler leaving is mixed- plenty of recognition that his hands were tied with players he had to let go, but a few less then impressed with the style he's introduced.
Last season was always going to be hard to follow- getting into the playoffs ahead of Falkirk was a good achievement- and one for what it's worth I don't believe Falkirk got challenged by the media- probably because they made the cup final

DH1875
20-04-2016, 08:02 AM
Not sacked but no contract offer so walked with 2 games to go

That makes more sense :agree: