PDA

View Full Version : Oxley in versus Rangers...

Pages : 1 [2]

SJM
19-04-2016, 09:20 AM
I don't think you hope he ****s up but you'll absolutely revel in it afterwards if he does. You've probably got smug "I knew this would happen" posts are probably at the ready now.

Oxley lovers.....:rolleyes:

See, there you go. Making up wee imaginary scenarios to belittle others opinions. Why would I revel in it? Why? If he ****s up and we lose I'll be ****ing gutted the last thing I would be is "I told you so"
If it does happen, I wouldn't be surprised though.
Yes Oxley lovers, the opposite of the guys with some sort of massive personal agenda against him.

easty
19-04-2016, 09:21 AM
See, there you go. Making up wee imaginary scenarios to belittle others opinions. Why would I revel in it? Why? If he ****s up and we lose I'll be ****ing gutted the last thing I would be is "I told you so"
If it does happen, I wouldn't be surprised though.
Yes Oxley lovers, the opposite of the guys with some sort of massive personal agenda against him.

Just yours.

flash
19-04-2016, 09:22 AM
Step away from the keyboard.

snedzuk
19-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Do you think he is capable of sprinting out his box to clear a through ball over or through our defence?

On Saturdays display he is far better at Reading this situation and does not stay rooted to the line

SJM
19-04-2016, 09:24 AM
You think people have an agenda for Oxley to play?

There's a difference between trying to calm down the level of guff posted about one of our own players, and you're one of the worst for it, and 'having an agenda'.

The "guff" posted is only your personal opinion though. You think it's "guff" because you obviously rate the guy, that's fair enough, your opinion. I think it's guff though.

SJM
19-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Is that what you took from the post you quoted?

You mentioned a couple of stupid made up things about people who don't rate Oxley which is fair enough, I was replying with a couple of made up posts by posters slating those who have this "agenda" against him.

Andy74
19-04-2016, 09:26 AM
In the cold light of day Oxley has been number one for nearly two years and as far as the coaching team are concerned didn't do anything worth being dropped for. So he goes back in when available.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2016, 09:27 AM
The "guff" posted is only your personal opinion though. You think it's "guff" because you obviously rate the guy, that's fair enough, your opinion. I think it's guff though.

It doesn't mean he rates him, it means he thinks some folk talk ***** and make stuff up to back up their point.

easty
19-04-2016, 09:29 AM

I don't think he's anything special, he's not going to leave Hibs and play in the EPL. He's no half as bad a goalkeeper as some posts on .net would claim he is. Nowhere near as bad.

SJM
19-04-2016, 09:29 AM
I don't think he's anything special, he's not going to leave Hibs and play in the EPL. He's no half as bad a goalkeeper as some posts on .net would claim he is. Nowhere near as bad.

👍 Peace.

flash
19-04-2016, 09:31 AM
In the cold light of day Oxley has been number one for nearly two years and as far as the coaching team are concerned didn't do anything worth being dropped for. So he goes back in when available.

As at almost every club on earth. Chances are that if or when Oxley does get dropped it will be for a good while.
That's how it tends to work for keepers, much more so than any other position.

Since90+2
19-04-2016, 09:33 AM
I dont think any Hibs fan would ever revel in a keeper making a mistake that costs us a game , especially a game as vital as this and against Sevco.

However , if Stubbs goes with Oxley and he does make an error that is costly he will be quite rightly questioned as to how he came to the decision to drop Logan after Saturdays performance.

Spike Mandela
19-04-2016, 09:34 AM
Oxley has been an ever present this season and has earned the right to keep his place. Logan had the game of his dreams and deserves to be pushing for the position.

Now Oxley knows there is a clamour for his replacement in goal he can't afford an error or he's dropped. It's a wn/win for Hibs imo.

easty
19-04-2016, 09:35 AM
 Peace.

:aok:

flash
19-04-2016, 09:37 AM
I dont think any Hibs fan would ever revel in a keeper making a mistake that costs us a game , especially a game as vital as this and against Sevco.

However , if Stubbs goes with Oxley and he does make an error that is costly he will be quite rightly questioned as to how he came to the decision to drop Logan after Saturdays performance.

The problem is that if we lose a goal or goals he will get it tight regardless of whether he is at fault.
You only have to read this forum to know that.

easty
19-04-2016, 09:39 AM
The problem is that if we lose a goal or goals he will get it tight regardless of whether he is at fault.

:agree:

Especially if it's the only shot on target the whole game.

Sioux
19-04-2016, 09:42 AM
The amount of hysterical nonsense on this thread needs one of them jambo facepalm things.

On the one hand we've just unearthed the goalkeeping equivalent of Messi, and on the other we have a keeper who has never made a save in his life and is the sole reason we've not won the league.

And now a manager who has no knowledge of football when compared to the experts on here.

So many people, so few brain cells.

worcesterhibby
19-04-2016, 09:55 AM
If I was Stubbs I would ask Hanlon, McGregor and Gray who they would rather have in goals.

Geo_1875
19-04-2016, 10:03 AM
If I was Stubbs I would ask Hanlon, McGregor and Gray who they would rather have in goals.

Oh ****!!! Stubbs isn't playing those 3 against the Huns?

pacoluna
19-04-2016, 10:04 AM
i never knew this place would be so petty.. the whole point in the forum is surely to express opinion and engage in constructive debates. this whole " you have an agenda" and second guessing peoples reaction to losing games is ridiculous.

ps i don't particular rate Oxley and think Logan should be in goals on wed

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 10:09 AM
So let's risk going up this season and not start the best goalie on our books because he's not in the long term plans? Aye okay.

I think I will let the people that see the goalies on a daily basis judge who is the best goalie. They are Stubbs and the coaches including Alan Combe the goalie coach. Based on Saturdays performance they made a cracking call in terms of teh goalies with Logan being preferred to Otso so they should be given the support to make a similar call for tomorrow. The criticism of Oxley and by default Stubbs is tiresome in the extreme. All to play for this season with the potential to be one of our best seasons ever but also a poor one also this isnt the time to criticise but to support.

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2016, 10:14 AM
I have no idea if the defenders have confidence in Oxley but they have an understanding. The one where Hanlon let the ball through he knows that if it was Oxley in goals he would have been on the edge of his 6 yard box and come to collect. Logan was stuck to his line, yes he made the block but the defenders know that Oxley would have been out for that which is why they left it.

I think Logan deserves the final - if he comes in on Wed and has a nightmare then it will be perceived that he had the game of his life in the semi. Lets face it if he hasn't played in 16 months there must be a reason?

He got a bad injury, that's why!!!

GreenPJ
19-04-2016, 10:28 AM
He got a bad injury, that's why!!!

I didn't know that but having now looked at his stats he has played 61 games since 2009, that is either a lot of injuries or the fact that he is viewed as a number 2.

Kaff
19-04-2016, 10:40 AM
I said on the 'poll' thread that it wouldnt surprise me that Oxley will have a minor 'injury' and sit out Wednesdays game with Otso on the bench, still think its a strong possibility as Stubbs' use of the term 'when available' is key.
It gives both Stubbs and Oxley less pressure and if Hulk is indeed average against Rangers then Oxley comes back in recovered from his 'injury' and the pressure on him is drastically reduced.
If i was Stubbs its how i would play the situation, it was great for him after the semi to now know he has 2 keepers he trusts for the busy run in.

Scouse Hibee
19-04-2016, 10:42 AM
I disagreed with Stubbs on Saturday when I heard Logan was playing and I was so wrong. However I really have no idea about wether he is good enough to take over from Oxley and neither does anyone else really. A great debut is just that,not necessarily a sign of things to come as many outfield players have proven at Hibs.

Moulin Yarns
19-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I didn't know that but having now looked at his stats he has played 61 games since 2009, that is either a lot of injuries or the fact that he is viewed as a number 2.

Although not a regular goalkeeper at Leicester, Logan was their longest serving player at the time of his release What does that tell you?

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-Goalkeeper-Conrad-Logan-free-agent/story-27478033-detail/story.html

GreenPJ
19-04-2016, 10:59 AM
What does that tell you?

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Leicester-City-Goalkeeper-Conrad-Logan-free-agent/story-27478033-detail/story.html

It tells me that English football has too much money and that he is seen as a decent back-up.

Radium
19-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Given the statement in the press, I expect Oxley to start. It will then be interesting to see who gets the seat on the bench. Based on Stubbs post match comments that experience swayed the decision on Saturday, there is a reasonable argument to say that Logan should have the bench seat on Wednesday.

jackfreid
19-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Loyal to a player who has done nothing except from make mistakes. Logan has done more for hibs in one game than oxely has done in 2 years. Never once have I walked away from a hibs game in the past 2 years thinking if it wasn't for Oxley we wouldn't have won that game. Utterly ridiculous decision to play him.

Spike Mandela
19-04-2016, 11:24 AM
Loyal to a player who has done nothing except from make mistakes. Logan has done more for hibs in one game than oxely has done in 2 years. Never once have I walked away from a hibs game in the past 2 years thinking if it wasn't for Oxley we wouldn't have won that game. Utterly ridiculous decision to play him.

Welcome to .net Conrad:cb

Spike Mandela
19-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Given the statement in the press, I expect Oxley to start. It will then be interesting to see who gets the seat on the bench. Based on Stubbs post match comments that experience swayed the decision on Saturday, there is a reasonable argument to say that Logan should have the bench seat on Wednesday.

He might need two seats.:greengrin

WeeRussell
19-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Not posted on here for donkeys but just had to come on and say wrong choice .. club continue to try and establish better engagement with fans and this just puts it back. not seen seen such a postive feeling to our MOTM on Saturday on here for an eternity yet it falls on deaf ears. the first cross or corner that Oxley doesnt come for and command his area will prove, in my opinion, he is the wrong choice.

As much as we are in agreement in our opinion that Logan should start in goals tomorrow.. I'd be far more concerned if our Manager started making team selections based on a "positive feeling" on Hibs.Net!!

flash
19-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Deary me.

Sammy7nil
19-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Oxley has been an ever present this season and has earned the right to keep his place. Logan had the game of his dreams and deserves to be pushing for the position.

Now Oxley knows there is a clamour for his replacement in goal he can't afford an error or he's dropped. It's a wn/win for Hibs imo.

Oxley has made a few mistakes when there was no competition for his jersey, he has had his chance. Logan has come in and made more saves than Oxley has in 10 games he is in possession of the gloves and should keep them. Oxley can press Logan to keep him on his toes.

Putting Oxley back in after Logan's performance just cranks up the pressure on Oxley which I think is unfair. Stubbs would be setting Oxley for a fail.

hibeerealist
19-04-2016, 11:58 AM
loyal to a player who has done nothing except from make mistakes. Logan has done more for hibs in one game than oxely has done in 2 years. Never once have i walked away from a hibs game in the past 2 years thinking if it wasn't for oxley we wouldn't have won that game. Utterly ridiculous decision to play him.

this, not once!!!

NAE NOOKIE
19-04-2016, 11:59 AM
If Oxley yet again cost us the match tomorrow the fans need to take control, a rendition of Oxley, Oxley, get to **** at every game he plays before the playoffs and Scottish Cup Final should surely do the trick.

For or the avoidance of any doubt, that's "Oxley, Oxley get to ****" at every game between now and the playoffs. If we have to sing it during the first playoff match vs Raith Rovers then so be it. Stubbs will soon get the message if Oxley doesn't quiver into an emotional wreck I'm front of our eye.

Youve be probably guessed that I don't want Oxley costing us the cup.

In the interest of fairness I went through the 6 pages ( 7 considering this is the 1st post on page 4 ) of posts that followed yours to make sure you hadn't already retracted this pile of *****.

Its one thing fans getting on a players back if he is having a bad game, or has performed poorly over a number of games. To suggest there should be an orchestrated campaign of abuse against a player wearing a Hibs shirt is ****ing well beneath contempt !!!

Perhaps where you go to watch football ( Ibrox? Tynecastle? ) its acceptable to treat one of your players like that, I hope and pray such a thing never happens at Easter Road ........ If you are a Hibby ..... which I seriously doubt ..... you are a disgrace to the name.

marinello59
19-04-2016, 12:03 PM
As much as we are in agreement in our opinion that Logan should start in goals tomorrow.. I'd be far more concerned if our Manager started making team selections based on a "positive feeling" on Hibs.Net!!

Spot on.

ALF TUPPER
19-04-2016, 12:04 PM

That'll be your first post? Welcome to Hibs.net :cb

snooky
19-04-2016, 12:12 PM
:agree: Good idea, but he shouldn't really need to ask.
I suppose you could also do the reverse and ask Ox who he would rather have playing in our defence?

Borderhibbie76
19-04-2016, 01:09 PM
You should hear some of the shouts from the F5 lower. Last week there was a ball across the edge of the box (the 18 yard line) and it was "goalies ball", "he should be coming for that" and "if it's in the box he should be coming for it, he's got to command his area".

I'm not even sure it was his side of the 18yard line.

It'll only be worse tomorrow.
Absolutely these shouts get more ridiculous by the week when Ox is in goals

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

worcesterhibby
19-04-2016, 02:11 PM
I disagreed with Stubbs on Saturday when I heard Logan was playing and I was so wrong. However I really have no idea about wether he is good enough to take over from Oxley and neither does anyone else really. A great debut is just that,not necessarily a sign of things to come as many outfield players have proven at Hibs.

Very sensible Post..I seem to remember that Pa kujabi had a blinder of a debut..look where that ended !

pacoluna
19-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Would anyone on this forum describe Oxley as a reliable solid good goalkeeper? Giving the past two seasons home and away other than his goal against Livingston I feel he has been poor and has no real highlights he didn't contribute much in a season that can only be described as a failure (last season) nor has he contributed much this season. It's time for a change.

Hermit Crab
19-04-2016, 02:54 PM
If Oxley drops another clanger then stubbs will be hounded.

bigwheel
19-04-2016, 02:56 PM
Would anyone on this forum describe Oxley as a reliable solid good goalkeeper? Giving the past two seasons home and away other than his goal against Livingston I feel he has been poor and has no real highlights he didn't contribute much in a season that can only be described as a failure (last season) nor has he contributed much this season. It's time for a change.

I am not an Oxley fan ...but I guess his strengths is his ability with the ball at this feet ...he is very comfortable receiving and distribution is as good as we have seen..and as a defender you will be pleased to have confidence in your keeper to take passes and sweep behind you ....this aspect is not to be underestimated and will be a big plus for Stubbs and co. his save making though lacks ability for me...can't move his feet quick enough of caught out ....

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 03:01 PM
If Oxley drops another clanger then stubbs will be hounded.and if Oxley has a great game I assume they will both be praised?

pacoluna
19-04-2016, 03:01 PM
I am not an Oxley fan ...but I guess his strengths is his ability with the ball at this feet ...he is very comfortable receiving and distribution is as good as we have seen..and as a defender you will be pleased to have confidence in your keeper to take passes and sweep behind you ....this aspect is not to be underestimated and will be a big plus for Stubbs and co. his save making though lacks ability for me...can't move his feet quick enough of caught out ....

I can't recall him catching a ball? he doesn't command his box.. corners are always a danger for us.

Flynn
19-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I seem to remember someone posting stats that 50% of all shots on targets in at least the latter hald of the season have resulted in goals for our opposition. This is an incredible stat and makes Oxley's selection after Logan's fantastic performance on Saturday all the more ridiculous. It's like dropping a striker after scoring four goals in one game.

I'll lose a lot of faith in Stubbs if Oxley starts. He seems incapable of making the big decisions for the good of the team.

That said, I'll get behind anyone who starts for Hibs and I hope Oxley plays a blinder and makes me eat my words.

#$%* the Huns. GGTTH!

Hermit Crab
19-04-2016, 04:04 PM
and if Oxley has a great game I assume they will both be praised?

Chances.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Chances.Probably higher than him throwing one in.

Andy74
19-04-2016, 04:14 PM

I would describe him as a reliable and solid goalkeeper, yes.

Islington Hibs
19-04-2016, 04:21 PM
I think I will let the people that see the goalies on a daily basis judge who is the best goalie. They are Stubbs and the coaches including Alan Combe the goalie coach. Based on Saturdays performance they made a cracking call in terms of teh goalies with Logan being preferred to Otso so they should be given the support to make a similar call for tomorrow. The criticism of Oxley and by default Stubbs is tiresome in the extreme. All to play for this season with the potential to be one of our best seasons ever but also a poor one also this isnt the time to criticise but to support.

:top marks

I do hope the Ox does not read Hibs.net- it would not be good for his confidence. He is becoming a scapegoat. Give the guy a break.

Shrekko
19-04-2016, 04:23 PM

The 'Oxley gets the blame for everything' posts are just as hysterical as the ones criticising him.

I'm going to back whoever is in goals tomorrow night but listening to most fans around me at games- and not all of them are morons, the vast majority are not happy with Oxley for the very reasons commonly given on here. There's no conspiracy or campaign, it's just a feeling that he's not what we need.

We all know that other players makes mistakes that contribute to goals but over the piece I'd say it's very fair to say that Oxley has rarely bailed us out in the way other goalies do. His predecessor Ben Williams wasn't perfect but he made save after save and won us games almost singlehandedly- that just hasn't happened with Oxley.

Hibee Mac
19-04-2016, 04:35 PM
The 'Oxley gets the blame for everything' posts are just as hysterical as the ones criticising him.

I'm going to back whoever is in goals tomorrow night but listening to most fans around me at games- and not all of them are morons, the vast majority are not happy with Oxley for the very reasons commonly given on here. There's no conspiracy or campaign, it's just a feeling that he's not what we need.

We all know that other players makes mistakes that contribute to goals but over the piece I'd say it's very fair to say that Oxley has rarely bailed us out in the way other goalies do. His predecessor Ben Williams wasn't perfect but he made save after save and won us games almost singlehandedly- that just hasn't happened with Oxley.

Agreed. Not everyone that isn't confident in Oxley blames him for every goal we concede. It's his all round play that scares people the most, set pieces, catching, commanding his box, closing attackers down when 1 on 1, the list goes on...

There's a reason why I get nervous when Oxley is called upon to do anything at all and it's not because I don't like him, don't get me wrong he's not the worst in the world but we now know we have better sitting on the bench!

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 04:38 PM

I do hope the Ox does not read Hibs.net- it would not be good for his confidence. He is becoming a scapegoat. Give the guy a break.

Yep and the sad thing is he is hugely better than most of the more recent goalies we have had.

Both Browns, stack, zibi, maka, smith for example

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Agreed. Not everyone that isn't confident in Oxley blames him for every goal we concede. It's his all round play that scares people the most, set pieces, catching, commanding his box, closing attackers down when 1 on 1, the list goes on...

There's a reason why I get nervous when Oxley is called upon to do anything at all and it's not because I don't like him, don't get me wrong he's not the worst in the world but we now know we have better sitting on the bench!We don't know that because Logan has played 1 game. You wouldn't judge a player purely on 1 bad game would you?

HoboHarry
19-04-2016, 04:44 PM

No player in their right mind would read a fans forum. Whilst some of the content is fine there is an awful lot of rambling nonsense.

MyJo
19-04-2016, 05:10 PM
Logan plays:

Dundee United: 7 on target, 0 scored

Oxley plays:

Falkirk: 5 on target, scored 2
Alloa: 2 on target, scored 1
Livi: 1 on target, scored 1
St Mirren: 4 on target, scored 2
Raith: 2 on target, scored 2
Inverness: 2 on target, scored 1
County: 3 on target, scored 2

When it comes to being the last line of defence, the absolute basic job of a goalkeeper, stopping shots getting into our goal then Oxley is not performing. just in these games alone there have been 11 goals from only 19 shots on target, granted not all of them are Oxleys fault but how can our defenders be confident in making challenges or trying to play an offside trap when a mistake or badly timed tackle that lets a player in on goal will result in us conceding a goal more than half the time with Oxley playing.

Working purely on the stats we would have lost 3 goals to dundee united had Oxley been playing and facing those 7 shots on goal.

scooby
19-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Logan plays:

Oxley plays:

When it comes to being the last line of defence, the absolute basic job of a goalkeeper, stopping shots getting into our goal then Oxley is not performing. just in these games alone there have been 11 goals from only 19 shots on target, granted not all of them are Oxleys fault but how can our defenders be confident in making challenges or trying to play an offside trap when a mistake or badly timed tackle that lets a player in on goal will result in us conceding a goal more than half the time with Oxley playing.

Working purely on the stats we would have lost 3 goals to dundee united had Oxley been playing and facing those 7 shots on goal.

Scary stats

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 05:21 PM
Scary statsNo they aren't. How many of those goals was Ox to blame for? I'd say maybe 1. Back 4 are to blame for pretty much all of them, especially Livi, Alloa and Falkirk.

Captain Trips
Oxley has made his mistakes but so have our forwards, we have not won this league for me due to our lack of goals IMO. Oxley is a ok keeper so for me Logan deserves to be played as it is not like dropping Jim Leighton. As I said Oxley is ok but hasn't been the difference often enough for it to actually matter who is in goal.

Logan in again for me.

hibsbollah
No player in their right mind would read a fans forum. Whilst some of the content is fine there is an awful lot of rambling nonsense.

I know for a fact that the players DO read them. Some of them do anyway. Something that should influence the stuff we post.

On the subject of the OP, of course Logan should start. It's mad were even talking about it.

MyJo
19-04-2016, 05:34 PM
No they aren't. How many of those goals was Ox to blame for? I'd say maybe 1. Back 4 are to blame for pretty much all of them, especially Livi, Alloa and Falkirk.

The same back 4 that played on Saturday and managed to keep a clean sheet with Logan behind them?

Or are Alloa and Livingston better than Dundee United and thats why they managed to score 2 out of the 3 shots on target between them?

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 05:35 PM
The same back 4 that played on Saturday and managed to keep a clean sheet with Logan behind them?

Or are Alloa and Livingston better than Dundee United and thats why they managed to score 2 out of the 3 shots on target between them?Yes the same back 4, they played better on Saturday than they did against Alloa and Livi, obviously they did. United finishing was pretty shocking as well. Have you even seen the Livi/Alloa goals? Neither were even close to Oxleys fault.

coldingham hibs
19-04-2016, 05:36 PM
Logan plays:

Oxley plays:

These stats are incredible, I wonder how they compare to other keepers.

banarc7062
19-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Good selection Alan.....I suspected we were trying to throw away any prospect of going up and with this "keeper" between the sticks, nae chance.

Borderhibbie76
19-04-2016, 05:39 PM
The constant criticism of Oxley on here is nothing short of diabolical. He is nowhere near as bad as many insinuate on here. Can someone answer me why Ox gets the blame for every goal conceded (see post above re shots to goals ratio) and the back 4 escape any form of criticism??

Give Ox a break FFS guys - yes he has the ODD clanger (but not that many if memory serves me right) but so does every keeper...even the best in the land.

If he is so s###e why does Stubbs continue to play him?? Is it because the manager wants us to lose??

Give it a rest and get behind ALL our players in what could become our best season in many a year

ekhibee
19-04-2016, 05:41 PM
We don't know that because Logan has played 1 game. You wouldn't judge a player purely on 1 bad game would you?
Well Stubbs certainly doesn't seem to be judging a player on his excellent debut game for us does he? How can there be competition for the goalkeeping position if he just plays Oxley all the time however well the other keepers play? That's not competition, it's favouritism. Oxley certainly isn't the worst keeper we've had, but he isn't the best either. He's just alright. Our priority, above all else, is gaining promotion. If Stubbs believes Oxley is part of our strongest 1st 11, then so be it. I would have picked Logan to play tomorrow, but that's just my opinion, Stubbs is the manager and it's his choice that counts.

JohnM1875
19-04-2016, 05:42 PM
No they aren't. How many of those goals was Ox to blame for? I'd say maybe 1. Back 4 are to blame for pretty much all of them, especially Livi, Alloa and Falkirk.

The point is, if any of the one on ones against Dundee United went it Logan wouldn't have been at fault for them, but he still kept them out! Oxley doesn't seem to do this unfortunately.

Totally agree the defence has been at fault for a good few of our goals. But a good keeper saves the blushes of his defenders, like Logan did on Saturday.

coldingham hibs
19-04-2016, 05:45 PM
The constant criticism of Oxley on here is nothing short of diabolical. He is nowhere near as bad as many insinuate on here. Can someone answer me why Ox gets the blame for every goal conceded (see post above re shots to goals ratio) and the back 4 escape any form of criticism??

Give Ox a break FFS guys - yes he has the ODD clanger (but not that many if memory serves me right) but so does every keeper...even the best in the land.

If he is so s###e why does Stubbs continue to play him?? Is it because the manager wants us to lose??

Give it a rest and get behind ALL our players in what could become our best season in many a year

By all accounts the team as a whole limit the opposition to only a few shots on target so blaming the defence is questionable. Whilst I would love to see the opposition not having a single shot on target I think that is being extremely optimistic, however it does appear that Oxley doesn't save many shots and I don't think that can be denied.

JohnMcM
19-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Hmm - Surely having Oxley and brilliance in the same sentence is what's known as an oxleymoron?

Brilliantly witty.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Yes the same back 4, they played better on Saturday than they did against Alloa and Livi, obviously they did. United finishing was pretty shocking as well. Have you even seen the Livi/Alloa goals? Neither were even close to Oxleys fault.

I disagree, i thought our back 4, well our central defenders gifted them 4 chances, more chances than we'd give to the likes of Alloa or Livi.

Logan saved all of them, and its the first time in a very very long time i have watched a game and thought our keeper won us it.

MyJo
19-04-2016, 05:50 PM
Yes the same back 4, they played better on Saturday than they did against Alloa and Livi, obviously they did. United finishing was pretty shocking as well. Have you even seen the Livi/Alloa goals? Neither were even close to Oxleys fault.

If Dundee United were able to get 7 shots on target that would suggest the back 4 weren't playing particularly well on saturday?

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2016, 05:51 PM
These stats are incredible, I wonder how they compare to other keepers.

Someone done it the other week. They're on a par with other teams and actually better than the Rangers keepers shots/save ratio.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 05:52 PM
The point is, if any of the one on ones against Dundee United went it Logan wouldn't have been at fault for them, but he still kept them out! Oxley doesn't seem to do this unfortunately.

Totally agree the defence has been at fault for a good few of our goals. But a good keeper saves the blushes of his defenders, like Logan did on Saturday.All 3 1v1s were easier to save than the Livi or Alloa goals.

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2016, 05:53 PM

I think the point being made is that where our defence makes mistakes Oxley can't fix it but on Saturday Logan showed that he can. And Logan's distribution was better - some great long balls straight to a Hibs player rather than Oxley's punts up the park straight to the opposition.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 05:55 PM
I disagree, i thought our back 4, well our central defenders gifted them 4 chances, more chances than we'd give to the likes of Alloa or Livi.

Logan saved all of them, and its the first time in a very very long time i have watched a game and thought our keeper won us it.Right enough, they gave 3 very poor chances away, United finishing was utter garbage. Livi and Alloa wasn't. I still don't see how that is Oxleys fault.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 05:56 PM
I think the point being made is that where our defence makes mistakes Oxley can't fix it but on Saturday Logan showed that he can. And Logan's distribution was better - some great long balls straight to a Hibs player rather than Oxley's punts up the park straight to the opposition.I know what the point being made is, it is completely ignoring good finishing and bad finishing from opposition players.

hibsbollah
19-04-2016, 05:58 PM
If Dundee United were able to get 7 shots on target that would suggest the back 4 weren't playing particularly well on saturday?

They weren't. Hanlon and McGregor in particular were hopeless. Without Bartley and Logan's efforts we would have been ootthe cup without a doubt.

JohnMcM
19-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Does it really matter who the goalie is at this point in the season, cup finals or not? The counter-point to the Oxley v Logan choice is, arguably, folks are at each other's throats over this because we haven't scored more goals than the teams we have lost or drawn against.

Maybe it's time to take the heat off the man between the sticks a wee bit and put a focus on the men who we hoped would put the ball in-between the opposing teams' sticks.

Just saying like, to bring a bit of balance.

snooky
19-04-2016, 06:04 PM
Brilliantly witty.
Or just another a Parad-ox. :dunno:
:wink:

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2016, 06:13 PM
Right enough, they gave 3 very poor chances away, United finishing was utter garbage. Livi and Alloa wasn't. I still don't see how that is Oxleys fault.

Ah right, the saves were nothing to do with Logan, and where did i say it was Oxleys fault?

hibs0666
19-04-2016, 06:18 PM

Fans do not know what is going on, and can only ever offer an opinion on Oxley based upon no knowledge whatsover about what's happing in training.

Congratulations to Oxley on his twenty shut-outs so far this season. :flag:

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Ah right, the saves were nothing to do with Logan, and where did i say it was Oxleys fault?Of course the saves were to do with Logan, he deserves a lot of credit but do you really think the United finishing was great? Turn the tables and we'd be cursing Cummings and Stokes for missing those chances. Both Livi and Alloa goals were much more clinical and pretty much unsaveable.

Logans performance being used as a stick to beat Oxley is pathetic. Fair enough if he had come in and played 6/7 games really well but he has played 1. I've said I think he should play tomorrow instead of Oxley but it isn't Oxleys fault if Stubbs decides otherwise and the grief Oxley is no doubt going to get tomorrow (every time a cross comes in) is totally uncalled for.

Libby Hibby
19-04-2016, 06:56 PM

I don't think anyone is blaming Oxley for the goals in the games quoted, just merely pointing out that the saves / shots on target ratio is pretty poor when he is in goals...he doesn't save very much and those stats prove it.

blackpoolhibs
19-04-2016, 07:16 PM
Of course the saves were to do with Logan, he deserves a lot of credit but do you really think the United finishing was great? Turn the tables and we'd be cursing Cummings and Stokes for missing those chances. Both Livi and Alloa goals were much more clinical and pretty much unsaveable.

Logans performance being used as a stick to beat Oxley is pathetic. Fair enough if he had come in and played 6/7 games really well but he has played 1. I've said I think he should play tomorrow instead of Oxley but it isn't Oxleys fault if Stubbs decides otherwise and the grief Oxley is no doubt going to get tomorrow (every time a cross comes in) is totally uncalled for.

Again, where have i used any stick to beat Oxley, and where have i said its Oxleys fault if Stubbs picks him? I think the saves Logan made were terrific saves, and down to the keeper getting out quick to narrow the angles.

In fact i'd go as far as to say his size played a big part in him saving those chances.

Do you have tomorrows lottery numbers?

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2016, 07:29 PM
I know what the point being made is, it is completely ignoring good finishing and bad finishing from opposition players.

Fair enough, apologies for not getting that first time. You have a point. But what about Oxley's distribution? Sure, he has a long kick but more often than not he just gives it back to the other side. Last week's Falkirk game was a good example. On Saturday I remember saying to a mate what a great ball forward from the keeper (Logan) - don't recall ever saying that of Oxley.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 07:31 PM
Again, where have i used any stick to beat Oxley, and where have i said its Oxleys fault if Stubbs picks him? I think the saves Logan made were terrific saves, and down to the keeper getting out quick to narrow the angles.

In fact i'd go as far as to say his size played a big part in him saving those chances.

Do you have tomorrows lottery numbers?
I didn't say you said either if those things but they are basically what the last 12 pages have been.

Andy74
I don't think anyone is blaming Oxley for the goals in the games quoted, just merely pointing out that the saves / shots on target ratio is pretty poor when he is in goals...he doesn't save very much and those stats prove it.

Stats can't show that. They could all have been easy chances gifted by our defence. Which is actually generally what happens.

Danderhall Hibs
Fair enough, apologies for not getting that first time. You have a point. But what about Oxley's distribution? Sure, he has a long kick but more often than not he just gives it back to the other side. Last week's Falkirk game was a good example. On Saturday I remember saying to a mate what a great ball forward from the keeper (Logan) - don't recall ever saying that of Oxley.

Really? That's one thing that folk normally compliment him for.

Maybe you've blanked it from your memory? Do you remember his save v Falkirk last week?

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 07:32 PM
I don't think anyone is blaming Oxley for the goals in the games quoted, just merely pointing out that the saves / shots on target ratio is pretty poor when he is in goals...he doesn't save very much and those stats prove it.Those stats prove absolutely nothing, it is a truly awful way of judging a goalkeeper.

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2016, 07:32 PM

Apart from the time he scored of course :)

Paisley Hibby
19-04-2016, 07:34 PM
Really? That's one thing that folk normally compliment him for.

Maybe you've blanked it from your memory? Do you remember his save v Falkirk last week?

Of course I do. And towards the end I also remember shouting FFS Oxley, you're just kicking the ball straight back to them

Libby Hibby
19-04-2016, 07:41 PM
Those stats prove absolutely nothing, it is a truly awful way of judging a goalkeeper.

I don't think it's a truly awful way to judge a goalkeeper, I've said before and I'll say it again, Mark Oxley, in my opinion does not save very much, I've never left ER thinking, wow, that boy Oxley really won us that game.

Hopefully, seeing what Conrad did for us on Saturday will spur Oxley on to better things but to me, I just don't see a match winning goalie in him, more a solid kicker, doesn't save very much type of keeper.

Out of interest, how would you judge a goalkeeper? If shots on target / goals ratio is truly awful?

hibbysam
19-04-2016, 07:45 PM
I don't think it's a truly awful way to judge a goalkeeper, I've said before and I'll say it again, Mark Oxley, in my opinion does not save very much, I've never left ER thinking, wow, that boy Oxley really won us that game.

Hopefully, seeing what Conrad did for us on Saturday will spur Oxley on to better things but to me, I just don't see a match winning goalie in him, more a solid kicker, doesn't save very much type of keeper.

Out of interest, how would you judge a goalkeeper? If shots on target / goals ratio is truly awful?

I would judge a goalkeeper on his overall performance. I remember 3 Falkirk shots on target last week, 1 Oxley made a very good save, the two goals were unstoppable IMO. So that is 33% save rate however when you can't save the other two, that's a very poor way to judge someone!

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Out of interest, how would you judge a goalkeeper? If shots on target / goals ratio is truly awful?By watching him play, not looking at stats like that with absolutely no context. How many of them should he actually have saved? Very few but he is still being judged on it? Madness.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 07:47 PM
I would judge a goalkeeper on his overall performance. I remember 3 Falkirk shots on target last week, 1 Oxley made a very good save, the two goals were unstoppable IMO. So that is 33% save rate however when you can't save the other two, that's a very poor way to judge someone!Exactly, it is utter madness that people think this is how you determine a good goalkeeper.

Libby Hibby
19-04-2016, 07:49 PM
I would judge a goalkeeper on his overall performance. I remember 3 Falkirk shots on target last week, 1 Oxley made a very good save, the two goals were unstoppable IMO. So that is 33% save rate however when you can't save the other two, that's a very poor way to judge someone!

And that's my point, his overall performances generally do not leave me thinking he is that good a keeper, every time a team, any team have a shot on target I generally think it's going to end up in the back of the net as I don't see enough shot stopping from Oxley.

Ilovehibs
19-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Gutted to read that from Stubbs.

Someone mentioned on here last week that Stubbs weakness may be that he has not managed to move on from having a players mind-set in the dressing room (wanting to get on with everyone) to having a managers mind-set (being able to make big decisions for the benefit of the team regardless of who he may upset).

I really worry that this is whats happening here.

I think this sums it up completely.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2016, 07:57 PM
And that's my point, his overall performances generally do not leave me thinking he is that good a keeper, every time a team, any team have a shot on target I generally think it's going to end up in the back of the net as I don't see enough shot stopping from Oxley.

The stats show he saves more than the Rangers keeper.

Malthibby
19-04-2016, 07:59 PM
I just hope that all will be well & the season ends the way we want it to, but if we keep shipping goals with Oxley back in
I hope Stubbs does something about it.
I remember Mowbray's inability to drop Malky Boy, despite the shortcomings everyone else could see ( & aye, we fans
couldn't see what was happening in training, we just saw what was happening live in games ) & what that cost us, & he
was still backing him even when he left ( without taking him away of course ). I'm not suggesting Oxley's is as bad a s
the Polish Pole, but he instills few people with any confidence. We had a clean sheet on Saturday for the first time in
over 10 games, & it's reasonable to question whether a change in goalkeeper was a factor.

Libby Hibby
19-04-2016, 08:02 PM

And...

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2016, 08:08 PM
And...

I thought the stats lovers would like that one?

Do you not wonder how a goalie that saves less than Oxley can win the league?

Libby Hibby
19-04-2016, 08:16 PM
I thought the stats lovers would like that one?

Do you not wonder how a goalie that saves less than Oxley can win the league?

I do and I've been critical of the Cummings / Stokes partnership not scoring enough and also the way the Rangers attack teams, go for the jugular right from the off compared to us is a factor but this is about Oxley and his inability to convince me that he saves enough.

Until Oxley is in a game where a team has 33 shots, were 10 are on target and only 2 are conceded, I'll reserve judgement on comparing the 2.

Do you think Ox is a good goalie? And if you do, would you mind sharing how you happen to come to this opinion? Genuinely interested in the debate.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2016, 08:25 PM
I do and I've been critical of the Cummings / Stokes partnership not scoring enough and also the way the Rangers attack teams, go for the jugular right from the off compared to us is a factor but this is about Oxley and his inability to convince me that he saves enough.

Until Oxley is in a game where a team has 33 shots, were 10 are on target and only 2 are conceded, I'll reserve judgement on comparing the 2.

Do you think Ox is a good goalie? And if you do, would you mind sharing how you happen to come to this opinion? Genuinely interested in the debate.

I think he's a decent goalie (as shown by the stats someone dug out last week) that is unfairly criticised by his own fans. I accept that at times it feels like he doesn't make many saves, although the ones he does make seem to be dismissed by his own supporters for some reason.

weonlywon6-2
19-04-2016, 08:26 PM
Oxley has never set the Heather on fire and has never given me much confidence.
Along comes Logan and plays brilliant, stunning saves during the game and the penalties, gives us a huge lift as fans, and what happens, we put him back in his box, crazy decision

Libby Hibby
19-04-2016, 08:27 PM
I think he's a decent goalie (as shown by the stats someone dug out last week) that is unfairly criticised by his own fans. I accept that at times it feels like he doesn't make many saves, although the ones he does make seem to be dismissed by his own supporters for some reason.

Fair point and I hope we are both cheering on his saves tomorrow night and a clean sheet...if he's selected

ben johnson
19-04-2016, 08:30 PM
As far as Logan is concerned it could be use him or lose him. I loved the fact the fans were enthused by his display after a dreadful run recently. A trier like Conrad deserves the gloves IMO. The old adage of never change a successful team seems to have been forgotten. He is the better keeper IMO and should play in order to bed himself in for the crucial play offs.

Shrekko
19-04-2016, 08:32 PM
Fans do not know what is going on, and can only ever offer an opinion on Oxley based upon no knowledge whatsover about what's happing in training.

Congratulations to Oxley on his twenty shut-outs so far this season. :flag:
That's right- you can only offer an opinion.

I hardly think how a goalie looks in training is the be all and end all though. I do trust my own opinion based on nearly 2 years of watching Oxley in games.

gaz1875
19-04-2016, 08:51 PM
Fair point and I hope we are both cheering on his saves tomorrow night and a clean sheet...if he's selected

Libby Hibby...you won't win your debate, Oxley could throw the ball in the net and some people will say it's the defence, midfield or strikers fault. The fact that he is never near any attempts or at least very few attempts at our goal, is absolutely nothing to do with his positioning or reflexes. They will throw in the odd what about the save...like Falkirk, they are happy to have him in goals don't waste you time :aok:

PS I hope he gets a standing ovation tomorrow, and I will be first to get off my seat.

Danderhall Hibs
19-04-2016, 08:55 PM
Libby Hibby...you won't win your debate, Oxley could throw the ball in the net and some people will say it's the defence, midfield or strikers fault. The fact that he is never near any attempts or at least very few attempts at our goal, is absolutely nothing to do with his positioning or reflexes. They will throw in the odd what about the save...like Falkirk, they are happy to have him in goals don't waste you time :aok:

PS I hope he gets a standing ovation tomorrow, and I will be first to get off my seat.

We can judge that if he ever throws one in.

Arch Stanton
19-04-2016, 08:55 PM

Fiscal prudence aside he still picks the ball out of the net more often.

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 09:29 PM

PS I hope he gets a standing ovation tomorrow, and I will be first to get off my seat.The few times Ox has been badly at fault (Alloa in the Scottish, Huns in the diddy cup) I have blamed him so I don't really see your argument. People aren't defending Oxley blinding, I actually don't think he is a bad goalie.

Lago
19-04-2016, 09:43 PM
He is not a bad keeper, but he is not a great keeper, there is a reason he was well down the pecking order at Hull.

gaz1875
19-04-2016, 09:57 PM
The few times Ox has been badly at fault (Alloa in the Scottish, Huns in the diddy cup) I have blamed him so I don't really see your argument. People aren't defending Oxley blinding, I actually don't think he is a bad goalie.

He doesn't make many glaring mistakes, he just makes very few saves. I have said this on a number of threads. You can't always say he had no chance when a shot goes in, its all about his positioning, equally we shouldn't be saying he should save every shot, if he did he would be elsewhere. You think he's not bad I think he is not very good. It's all about opinions and what you want to see or don't want to see. On Saturday whether it was a one off or not nobody could say Logan was out of position...but then again some people would say the efforts were poor :rolleyes:

Sammy7nil
19-04-2016, 10:37 PM
He doesn't make many glaring mistakes, he just makes very few saves. I have said this on a number of threads. You can't always say he had no chance when a shot goes in, its all about his positioning, equally we shouldn't be saying he should save every shot, if he did he would be elsewhere. You think he's not bad I think he is not very good. It's all about opinions and what you want to see or don't want to see. On Saturday whether it was a one off or not nobody could say Logan was out of position...but then again some people would say the efforts were poor :rolleyes:

:aok:

MWHIBBIES
19-04-2016, 10:50 PM
He doesn't make many glaring mistakes, he just makes very few saves. I have said this on a number of threads. You can't always say he had no chance when a shot goes in, its all about his positioning, equally we shouldn't be saying he should save every shot, if he did he would be elsewhere. You think he's not bad I think he is not very good. It's all about opinions and what you want to see or don't want to see. On Saturday whether it was a one off or not nobody could say Logan was out of position...but then again some people would say the efforts were poor :rolleyes:A goalkeeper can be in the right position and still lose a goal.

Unseen work
20-04-2016, 08:38 AM
He is going to have the game of his life tonight.

scooby
20-04-2016, 09:05 AM
He is going to have the game of his life tonight.

He's gonna have to, as he's on a hiding to nothing if he doesn't.

Unseen work
20-04-2016, 09:12 AM
He's gonna have to, as he's on a hiding to nothing if he doesn't.

He could save a penalty, 10 1vs1, come and collect every crossed ball but there would still be people moaning his kicking was poor tonight

scooby
20-04-2016, 09:32 AM
He could save a penalty, 10 1vs1, come and collect every crossed ball but there would still be people moaning his kicking was poor tonight

I genuinely hope that if he plays tonight, he plays a blinder. He hasn't had any competition for the jersey since he arrived, so it will be interesting to see if we get a reaction, or if he's already performing to the best of his ability.
I think his distribution and kicking is generally pretty good, but I'd like to see him stop a few which we think are net bound more often. Not too big an ask, as opposition keepers were pulling off great saves from us when we were hitting the target more often earlier in the season.

Shrekko
20-04-2016, 09:32 AM

Doubt it. In all respects.

Like I said earlier- the defence of Oxley is probably getting more hysterical than the criticism now.

bigwheel
20-04-2016, 09:34 AM

I honestly think that is nonsense..if Oxley puts is a strong performance, people will be on here recognising that. As they did at the start of this season, when he got off to a decent start...