PDA

View Full Version : Would you take (young) children to a cup final v The Rangers?

G B Young
18-04-2016, 11:42 AM
Having been involved in an unpleasant incident involving drunken Celtic fans a few years ago when our group had several kids in tow I made a decision not to attend games against Celtic or The Rangers with young children. I would also extend that to games at Tynecastle but I never go to them anyway. I find the atmosphere vile.

I like to think things have moved on from the 70s when a visit to Easter Road from Rangers really was a hideous experience on the terraces (even though we often beat them on the pitch!) but judging by some of the neanderthals shown celebrating the win over Celtic on the Scottish news last night it was as though these people had emerged from a land that time forgot. Anyone from outwith Scotland tuning in to that really would have had their eyes opened to an aspect of this country that undermines the SNP's attempts to portray it as somehow 'better' than England.

I have known and worked alongside a number of very decent fans of Celtic and The Rangers, but the bigger the club the bigger the proportion of idiots and I suspect next month's final may not be a pleasant place for young children in and around the stadium.

mim
18-04-2016, 11:46 AM
Having been involved in an unpleasant incident involving drunken Celtic fans a few years ago when our group had several kids in tow I made a decision not to attend games against Celtic or The Rangers with young children. I would also extend that to games at Tynecastle but I never go to them anyway. I find the atmosphere vile.

I like to think things have moved on from the 70s when a visit to Easter Road from Rangers really was a hideous experience on the terraces (even though we often beat them on the pitch!) but judging by some of the neanderthals shown celebrating the win over Celtic on the Scottish news last night it was as though these people had emerged from a land that time forgot. Anyone from outwith Scotland tuning in to that really would have had their eyes opened to an aspect of this country that undermines the SNP's attempts to portray it as somehow 'better' than England.

I have known and worked alongside a number of very decent fans of Celtic and The Rangers, but the bigger the club the bigger the proportion of idiots and I suspect next month's final may not be a pleasant place for young children in and around the stadium.

You've got to keep youngsters away from our very own assholes as well, remember.

Since90+2
18-04-2016, 11:47 AM
Think it depends how you are going through.

If you are on a supporters bus you will be parked at the Hibs end of the ground so should be able to get in and out relatively easily. I woudn't be taking young children and getting the train or driving through.

Lets be honest , both sets of fans dont exactly like each other and its a 3pm kickoff on a Saturday so plenty time for a pre match bevvy. I woudn't be surprised if there are pockets of trouble before and after the game.

EH54
18-04-2016, 11:47 AM
I don't think it will be a very nice atmosphere, but I think everyone should be safe enough if your sensible its shocking that people have to make decisions like this though everyone should be able to just turn up without worrying about what is around you and what could happen

Hi Heid Yin
18-04-2016, 11:48 AM
I for one would not take young children to any old firm game - in particular one against The Rangers. Nothing but intimidation, threatening behaviour, likely to spill over into violence at any second. Their vile songs and neanderthal behaviour are a disgrace. They engender fear in adults, never mind young children.
Keep the children Safe!

Gatecrasher
18-04-2016, 11:50 AM
I don't think it will be a very nice atmosphere, but I think everyone should be safe enough if your sensible its shocking that people have to make decisions like this though everyone should be able to just turn up without worrying about what is around you and what could happenI think it could be a bit tense.

Allant1981
18-04-2016, 11:51 AM
I personally wouldnt be taking my laddie to the game, i hate that club and everything they stand for but each to their own i suppose

Colr
18-04-2016, 11:52 AM

No I wouldn't!!

scooby
18-04-2016, 11:57 AM
My 3 kids 7 & 9 are ST holders and will all be attending the final, their choice. They are already fully aware how vile the majority of the Orcs are, and despise The Rangers as much as the rest of us.

If anything I think it makes them even more proud to be hibby's!

Bring it on, can't wait.

:gwa:

Seekyit
18-04-2016, 12:03 PM
I was thinking about this yesterday. I've watched Hibs at Hampden 10 times in the last 10 years and always driven through and parked in the same spot then walked to the ground. There's always been a few of us including children, colours visible, no problems.

Might take a different approach this time.

Smartie
18-04-2016, 12:07 PM
My mate's Dad always used to get tickets to cup finals when we were kids so I've been to a few not involving Hibs.

There is always a different atmosphere when Rangers are involved, and it's not just us that brings it out in them. I was in the family section (mixed fans although predominantly Rangers) at the 3-3 League Cup final between Rangers and Aberdeen and I reckon it would have been just before my 10th birthday. TBH I thought much of what went on was hilarious although we were quite close to scrapping with some fairly unpleasant young Rangers fans. It was funny looking back when we had to ask my mate's Dad (who is a lawyer) what all this f*** the pope and the IRA stuff was all about. I don't think I turned out to bad after being exposed to it all - you know it's unacceptable, that it isn't the way you should behave and being subjected to it reinforces the fact that you don't like it rather than draw you in.

I suppose it depends on what you're prepared to expose your kids to and at what age - people are definitely more protective and less likely to take risks than they were 30 years or so ago. And tbh for all I thought it was quite funny and never really felt threatened, when I have kids I won't be taking them near games involving Rangers or Celtic until they're well into their teens.

18-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Vile club with the worst set of supporters possible. Horrible to be around.

sleeping giant
18-04-2016, 12:25 PM
I won't be taking my youngest (6) or my daughter (14).
Sorry state of affairs but there you go.

LithgaeHibby
18-04-2016, 12:27 PM
I was looking forward to a day out with my 8 year old son (we are both ST holders) at the final, but he's already decided that he doesn't want to go because it's The Rangers we are playing. His argument is that I wouldn't take him to a Hibs v The Rangers game at ER, so why Hampden? I explained about segregation, and supporters buses parking at the right end of the stadium. I also told him that he could be witnessing history in the making and he could be one of only 22,000 living people on this planet who have seen Hibs win the Scottish Cup in the flesh, but he's made up his mind. His choice and I know he'll be fine with that!

BroxburnHibee
18-04-2016, 12:28 PM
I won't be taking my youngest (6) or my daughter (14).
Sorry state of affairs but there you go.

Surprised your 14 yr old accepted that. :greengrin

Mine has already got his day planned...

green day
18-04-2016, 12:31 PM
The problem with that lot comes when both sets of fans 'mingle'.

If you are driving, park at Kings Park ave area and you shouldn't have too many issues on way to the game - IMO its not as difficult to avoid them at Hampden as it is at Ibrox.

Post game on the 21st - whatever the result - one set of fans will be long gone before the other heads out.

I really don't like them, but at least you can spot them a mile away - spotting Celtic fans can be more tricky !

DH1875
18-04-2016, 12:35 PM
I think it could be a bit tense.

Tense, I reckon it could get a bit nasty, especially if we win.

Unless your on a supporters bus that is going straight to Hampden then I wouldn't even think about taking kids to the game.

snooky
18-04-2016, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't take Chuck Norris to the game.

CallumLaidlaw
18-04-2016, 12:39 PM
No way could I keep my 11yr old away, and that's WITH the trouble he experienced with Rangers fans earlier in the season. I'm comfortable that I won't encounter any of their fans except for inside the stadium.

Brightside
18-04-2016, 12:40 PM
I will still be taking my 11yo girl...but she knows it will be disgusting even in our end.

pacoluna
18-04-2016, 12:47 PM
It's always the minority who spoil it for the rest.. as a previous poster said the 3:00 KO will give plenty of time for people to get sozzled. At the match on sat some Muppet beside me in f3 row bbb was having to be restrained by his drunken mates for the whole first half because he took offense to someone criticizing his language, the guy he was berating had a 5/6 year old child beside him who was obviously scared.. Thankfully he calmed sown the the second half.

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2016, 12:51 PM
Tense, I reckon it could get a bit nasty, especially if we win.

Unless your on a supporters bus that is going straight to Hampden then I wouldn't even think about taking kids to the game.

In 79 most of the trouble involved the supporters busses. Weren't many that day that returned home with their glazing intact.

HibsNutter
18-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Take them, don't live your life differently in fear of them.

When they start singing their bigoted *****, we should drown it out with one of our songs about football.

green day
18-04-2016, 12:53 PM
I will still be taking my 11yo girl...but she knows it will be disgusting even in our end.

Yep, forgot to say that in earlier post.

I took my (then) 9YO to the Falkirk game, was in the "family" section and the behaviour and state (drunk and drugged) of some of our fans was beyond belief.

So, while the Huns are and can be horrible, its possible the worst bit of the day might be inside the ground !!!

Mr White
18-04-2016, 12:56 PM
I'll be taking my 5 year old son. There's no way I'd let the fact that a lot of their supporters are animals get in the way of our chance to see Hibs win the cup side by side. Plus the way we'll be travelling through means i doubt we'll come into contact with any of them.

hibee
18-04-2016, 01:00 PM
I'm taking mine but to be honest not looking forward to it. After them witnessing our own fans fighting each other due to getting so drunk they can't control themselves it's always been a worry taking them back there and can only be worse considering our opponents but I do not believe my kids should miss out because of this or we let these idiots win.

Hoping that kids are allowed in all stands like the last time as if there's a cheaper family section that would be a disaster like the Hearts game was.

I don't know any of their songs as its never interested me so I don't get worked up about what they sing since I don't understand them anyway and the kids are the same.

Diclonius
18-04-2016, 01:16 PM
We'll be heading in early for lunch and turning up to the stadium early. Will try and avoid the Huns at all costs.

Doubt I'll be wearing any club colours other than my "cup final" t-shirt, which'll be safely concealed under my jumper until we get to the stadium. Sad state of affairs but when that club's behavour is condoned via the inaction of the governing body, police and stewards then we can do **** all about it.

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2016, 01:31 PM
There's no right or wrong answer to this, as a parent it's a decision only you can make.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Should be a 18 rated match, mair chance of getting a ticket that way! :-)

paddy1875
18-04-2016, 01:42 PM
My 6 year old boy will not be coming with to this one, only because his mum won't allow it.

He doesn't know yet, all he's spoke about since leaving hampden on Saturday is the final. I'll buy him his ticket tho and try and convince his mother to change her mind.

Thecat23
18-04-2016, 01:44 PM
My son is 6 and I was worried about taking him. But he'd be distraught to miss it. He has already asked when the tickets will be on sale. I can't stop him from seeing what could be history in the making because of a bunch of idiots.

midfield_maestro
18-04-2016, 01:51 PM
At least you know where you are with the Huns when you are in the street. It's in the lap of the Gods who you end up sitting beside inside the ground.

Sir David Gray
18-04-2016, 01:53 PM
I would.

Imagine the feeling if we win.

You cannot beat that at all!

Bostonhibby
18-04-2016, 01:53 PM
Regrettably they have to understand how backward looking quite a bit of the forward looking image of modern Scotland as currently projected is so I would do.
Really down to the government to start walking the walk on sectarianism in Scotland. The current party have been in power for long enough to do something about it and certainly have a big enough mandate, so what's the problem?

jdships
18-04-2016, 01:57 PM
I for one would not take young children to any old firm game - in particular one against The Rangers. Nothing but intimidation, threatening behaviour, likely to spill over into violence at any second. Their vile songs and neanderthal behaviour are a disgrace. They engender fear in adults, never mind young children.
Keep the children Safe!

Based on my own experiences with my son many years ago where there were two days which ended up with violence around us I would totally agree !!

StevieC
18-04-2016, 02:00 PM
I'll be taking my 10 year old.

When I was 13 I asked my dad to take me to the '79 final. He had no interest in football, but agreed to drive me through to Hampden.
Turns out he also had no idea about segregation and dropped me off at the Rangers end with instructions to meet back at the same place after the match was finished!

Anyway, I made it there and back in one piece (and I saw lots of Hibs fans attacked that day) and it's a memory that I wouldn't want to deprive my son of. In fact, I still have my match ticket from the game .. it cost £1.50!!

G B Young
18-04-2016, 02:13 PM
There's no right or wrong answer to this, as a parent it's a decision only you can make.

I think that's correct. Personally, there's enough doubt in my mind that the experience would be relatively safe one so I don't think it's one for the younger kids no matter how much you might like them to witness history first hand.

hibee
18-04-2016, 02:18 PM
At least you know where you are with the Huns when you are in the street. It's in the lap of the Gods who you end up sitting beside inside the ground.

Too true, always a nervous wait sitting with the kids to see who's behind you, if the seats are empty until kick off its inevitable that it's the guy who's the most drunk in the pub just having one more for the road!

RoYO!
18-04-2016, 02:23 PM
There's a lot of posts saying 'their support are animals' etc. While true(!) tensions will be high, supporters will be drunk and there will be square ups/ punch ups in our own end if it's not going to plan. And maybe even if it is. Lots of guys enjoy playing the hard man in front of their mates.

You may well see some nasty stuff without even getting within a 100 yards of the gers.

Mr White
18-04-2016, 02:29 PM
There's a lot of posts saying 'their support are animals' etc. While true(!) tensions will be high, supporters will be drunk and there will be square ups/ punch ups in our own end if it's not going to plan. And maybe even if it is. Lots of guys enjoy playing the hard man in front of their mates.

You may well see some nasty stuff without even getting within a 100 yards of the gers.

That's true but it's usually fairly acute flashpoints between willing participants. The worst of the hun support would lash out at anyone in green regardless of age. As shown by the much publicised incident on Easter road earlier this season when the son of a well respected .netter was spat on. While i realise you can't rule out that could happen in the hibs end but it's pretty unlikely.

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2016, 02:33 PM
I'll be taking my 10 year old.

When I was 13 I asked my dad to take me to the '79 final. He had no interest in football, but agreed to drive me through to Hampden.
Turns out he also had no idea about segregation and dropped me off at the Rangers end with instructions to meet back at the same place after the match was finished!

Anyway, I made it there and back in one piece (and I saw lots of Hibs fans attacked that day) and it's a memory that I wouldn't want to deprive my son of. In fact, I still have my match ticket from the game .. it cost £1.50!!

That final was my first Rangers game. Up to that point I had been discouraged from going.... and I was 21 :greengrin

Naive wee me couldn't get my ahead round the fact that they were singing "F*** the IRA" all game long. :rolleyes:

Craig_in_Prague
18-04-2016, 02:35 PM
Got spat on from a Rangers fan on Easter Road when a young boy, off to do my ball boy duties.
Not even sure the 'man' was drunk, they are just vile cretins!

Yuillsy
18-04-2016, 03:09 PM
My 2 daughters are 6 and 3 both season ticket holders and love going to the games. There's no way I'm taking them to this game though. I remember the atmosphere at the 93 league cup final being poisonous and I really don't want to expose them to that.

18-04-2016, 03:45 PM
My son is 6 and I was worried about taking him. But he'd be distraught to miss it. He has already asked when the tickets will be on sale. I can't stop him from seeing what could be history in the making because of a bunch of idiots.

Thats my thinking as well. We have loads of kids in our group, every single one of them absolutely hyper about going to another cup final, be unfair to tell them they're not going just because of those ****bags. As much as I hate exposing them to the vile, toxic support of rangers, they would be devastated if they weren't allowed to go.

mondacabbage
18-04-2016, 04:03 PM
My 11 year old daughter can't go and is gutted but her 5 year old brother is already hyper about the final. Fortunately for him his mum doesn't understand the vile nature of the Hun support so he will be going.

Renfrew_Hibby
18-04-2016, 04:18 PM
I will have to navigate Paisley town center and the train station in full Hibs colours on the day. The journey home will be even more scarey... U think I'm joking?

18-04-2016, 04:36 PM

I agree, hampden days out bring out the idiot element in our support. Like you say, drunken idiots tryna act the hard man. I actually noticed no bother yesterday at all, likely due to it being an early kick off so less time for folk to get absolutely wasted. Some folk seem to think its impossible to go to a game unless your completely out your face. By all means enjoy a good bevy if you wish but don't come into the ground and act like a prick and make it unpleasant for everyone else.

StevieC
18-04-2016, 05:00 PM
That final was my first Rangers game. Up to that point I had been discouraged from going.... and I was 21 :greengrin

Naive wee me couldn't get my ahead round the fact that they were singing "F*** the IRA" all game long. :rolleyes:

I remember being confused by the IRA chants as well, but honestly can't remember if it was them shouting "f*** the 'ra" or us shouting "up the 'ra". The chants were coming from where both sets of fans met in the north terracing (I was up the back of the east) so might even have been a bit of both.

I certainly remember the walk back, through the huns, being a scary one for a 13 year old. My dad was in the army, so I guess he based his actions on "what doesn't kill him will make him stronger". :greengrin

Hibee_Craig7062
18-04-2016, 05:01 PM
During my childhood we didn't get to a SC final. I was 8 at the time of the 1993 LC final against the huns.

From the age of 6 till I was old enough to go alone my dad took me home and away including many trips to ibrox and parkhead As a laddie you don't think about other stuff your only there to see the hibs. It never done me any harm and I thank him for it. I think it provided me with valuable life skills on how not to conduct myself given some of the things I witnessed at the football across the country.

Thinking back I would never have forgiven my dad if we had made it to a Scottish Cup Final and he hadn't taken me on the basis that there was a chance there may be fighting or daft songs sung etc.

Take your kids and share as a family what might be one of the greatest days in the history of our club.

SJM
18-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Young kids don't know what the ***** they sing about is about. Keep away from their end and you will be fine. They will be long gone into the night when we get on our coaches home. Would never go by train mind!

surreyhibbie
18-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Nope. I wouldn't. Hard enough trying to avoid trouble on my own without worrying about bairns..

Luckily my "bairns" are 30 and 34 and both bigger than me!

:wink:

emerald green
18-04-2016, 06:29 PM
It's up to parents to decide and take responsibility for taking any young children to this match, or any other match for that matter.

FWIW, these days, there is pretty much strict segregation of supporters both in the stadium and its approaches for buses and cars.

If anyone wants trouble though (applies to both sets of fans) they will find it. One potential trouble spot might be at train stations.

BroxburnHibee
18-04-2016, 06:41 PM
I know we've been lucky with final appearances lately but you never know when our next one will be.

I've always regretted not taking my laddie to the 07 final.

Killiehibbie
18-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Should be a 18 rated match, mair chance of getting a ticket that way! :-)Better to make it over 35's.

gorgie greens
18-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Think it should have an 18 certificate as it's going to be a hostile game , but how can you not take your kid to a Scottish cup final

Del Boy
18-04-2016, 06:58 PM
I won't take my 6 year old daughter. Any other opponent apart from them or Celtic and I would. Don't think I would take her to a game against either until she's at High School.

Albion Hibs
18-04-2016, 07:05 PM
My daughter is still too young (2) so it is thankfully a choice I don't have to make. I did decide after the league cup final that if in the future she was to go we would be driving through. Sadly some of our own support are bad enough.

HTD1875
18-04-2016, 07:07 PM
What a horrible thread, just shows you the damage that the two ugly sisters (especially Rangers IMO) do to the Scottish game. If the atmosphere at ibrox earlier this season is anything to go by then it's certainly no place for kids. Would certainly suggest getting a supporters bus straight there and back if you are making the trip with kids.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2016, 07:10 PM
Better to make it over 35's.

Aye, thats fine, or wait until after my birthday on Wed and make it 45 or over. :-)

Betty Boop
18-04-2016, 07:33 PM
We have a fair amount of wallopers in our own support.

http://stv.tv/news/east-central/1350539-more-than-30-arrested-over-football-related-disorder/

hibby_1875
18-04-2016, 07:47 PM
My son is 9 and a season ticket holder...this will be his 4th final! After the tears and upset of the past 3, I couldn't stop him going to this one just incase🙈!!

ronaldo7
18-04-2016, 07:52 PM
My 7yr old Grandson will not be stopped from going to see his team playing in a Scottish Cup Final by anyone. We'll be in a Celtc club prior to being segregated from the Orcs at the match,and they'll have left early while we celebrate in style.

GGTTH.

wookie70
18-04-2016, 08:19 PM
I'll be taking three kids aged 7, 10 and 13. Probably go by supporter's bus but may drive. If I take the bus I will have 3 or 4 pints and have something to eat. I will also most likely be with trusted friends and their kids so we will look out for each other.

The only issues I have seen at Hampden in the time I have taken kids have all involved Hibs "fans". Fighting in the stands, drunk to the point of not being able to stand, smoking in the toilets and peeing in the sinks. This has included a final with Hearts and Celtic. I draw the line at attending Ibrox where there is no choice but to come in contact with the The Rangers fans and where we are massively outnumbered.

There will be plenty police about and assuming we are in the east I would imagine it will be relatively easy to get back to your bus or car without coming into contact with the blue bigots. My kids have been going to football for around 5 years and have had season tickets for the last 3. Pretty much every game my daughter will whisper "that man is swearing" but I have never heard either of my kids swear. They haven't heard me swear at the football either. At the end of the day you have to way up the risks and make your own mind up. I hope my two end up as big Hibbies like me and I know they would never forgive me if they missed us winning the Scottish Cup.

Green Fish
18-04-2016, 08:45 PM
My laddie who is 10 can't wait, I'm purposefully gonna get tickets behind the goals rather than the north/south to be as far away as possible from them.

Having said that on Saturday in F3 two almost came to blows with a terrified wee boy of about 6 years stuck in the middle.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

wookie70
18-04-2016, 09:29 PM
My laddie who is 10 can't wait, I'm purposefully gonna get tickets behind the goals rather than the north/south to be as far away as possible from them.

I'll try to get tickets for the south with my kids. The last two games have been a joy with good hibees all around and next to no drunken twats. My experience of the easy has been less joyful. Fights, drunkenness, kids struggling to see and a mile walk to get to the cesspit toilets.

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 06:17 AM
It is a big call to make given how big the game is as I would have been heartbroken as a kid to be told I couldn't go to such a potentially historic game just because of who we were playing.

Nakedmanoncrack
19-04-2016, 02:11 PM
What an utter nonsense of a thread, all the problems I've ever seen at cup finals have been amongst our own support, the Hearts final was the same on here, people predicting WW3, yet it passed off relatively peacefully, this game with much less potential for disorder will be same.

Dashing Bob S
19-04-2016, 02:16 PM
What an utter nonsense of a thread, all the problems I've ever seen at cup finals have been amongst our own support, the Hearts final was the same on here, people predicting WW3, yet it passed off relatively peacefully, this game with much less potential for disorder will be same.

I think with segregation and security, there is much less potential to witness or get caught up serious trouble than in the past.

I'd agree therefore, that kids are now more likely to witness bad behaviour among their own supporters.

But I also think our expectations have, rightly, changed about what we expect from attending a sporting occasion. Now people are less inclined to tolerate sectarian and bigoted behaviour, and put up with it and have kids subjected to it.

bigwheel
19-04-2016, 02:50 PM

This 100 percent. Get a grip everyone - get your kids and your colours and go and support the boys ! Could be an amazing day ....

SeanWilson
19-04-2016, 03:03 PM
This 100 percent. Get a grip everyone - get your kids and your colours and go and support the boys ! Could be an amazing day ....

not a chance in hell my lads go to this game. I'd consider Celtic but not them. When you read stuff like a Celtic fan being stabbed in the face, chest and legs for wearing his celtic top, it brings it home. This is another football match for us, a great day out and a chance to win the bloody cup. For them, its about getting drunk, expecting the victory and getting some vile horrible digs in on the way. My kids will be nowhere near Glasgow on the 21st.

G B Young
19-04-2016, 03:15 PM
not a chance in hell my lads go to this game. I'd consider Celtic but not them. When you read stuff like a Celtic fan being stabbed in the face, chest and legs for wearing his celtic top, it brings it home. This is another football match for us, a great day out and a chance to win the bloody cup. For them, its about getting drunk, expecting the victory and getting some vile horrible digs in on the way. My kids will be nowhere near Glasgow on the 21st.

We've also made the decision not to take kids to this game. I'd be interested to know how many of those scoffing at such caution have kids of their own.

Main reason I'm adopting this approach is because we'll be travelling by train and Glasgow city centre and the trains themselves are not the sort of places I'd be keen to taking a young child on a Saturday evening with both sets of fans likely to be in close proximity. As I've said I've known many decent Old Firm fans but we're talking a very different breed of 'football' fan when it comes to the the 'Hun' at his worst.

ALF TUPPER
19-04-2016, 03:44 PM
No I wouldn't. Or take them on Weds.
Time enough to subject them to that filthy venous bile

TAHibby
19-04-2016, 04:30 PM
We'll be heading in early for lunch and turning up to the stadium early. Will try and avoid the Huns at all costs.

Doubt I'll be wearing any club colours other than my "cup final" t-shirt, which'll be safely concealed under my jumper until we get to the stadium. Sad state of affairs but when that club's behavour is condoned via the inaction of the governing body, police and stewards then we can do **** all about it.

They're the only team I would ever think about not wearing club colours to a game but the thought of not having my scarf should we win is unthinkable

Keith_M
19-04-2016, 04:43 PM
My feeling is that if you head in on a Supporters Bus or Car and park on the East Side of the stadium, you should be just fine. The vast majority of Fans around you will be Hibbies and it would take a very brave, or very stupid, Rangers Fan to start anything.

Anyway, it's changed days since the kind of scenes at the '79 and '80 Cup Finals.

BH Hibs
19-04-2016, 04:54 PM
Probably need to run the gauntlet in my hometown never mind Hampden. :take that:tin hat:

lugz
19-04-2016, 04:57 PM
The biggest and probably best thing about this situation is its a final....who ever wins will be in the stadium a lot longer than the other fans meaning any potential clashes will be kept to a minimum.

If they win we'll be long gone and on our buses/trains back home.

When we win they'll be far too embarrassed that they are the side we've finally done it against and the odd brave idiot who sticks around will be dealt with by police or the 22k of our fans.

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 05:00 PM
My feeling is that if you head in on a Supporters Bus or Car and park on the East Side of the stadium, you should be just fine. The vast majority of Fans around you will be Hibbies and it would take a very brave, or very stupid, Rangers Fan to start anything.

Anyway, it's changed days since the kind of scenes at the '79 and '80 Cup Finals.

Segregation will be much better so I think you would need to be unlucky to see any given there will be thousands of Hibs fans in the vicinity of the ground however there will no doubt be trouble if we win probably on trains or in the centre of Weedg

Keith_M
19-04-2016, 06:19 PM
Segregation will be much better so I think you would need to be unlucky to see any given there will be thousands of Hibs fans in the vicinity of the ground however there will no doubt be trouble if we win probably on trains or in the centre of Weedg

I'd imagine there will be Rangers Fans on the East Side of the Stadium before the game, as a lot of them actually live there and will have to pass that side of the ground on their way to the match... for instance the ones coming from Rutherglen and Toryglen, not to mention the ones that actually live in Mount Florida itself.

nonshinyfinish
19-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Trains from Central will be segregated – this happened very efficiently at the Hearts final. I think if you're on a supporters bus or get the train to the right end of the ground, the chance of any problem is minimal.

I can understand why folk would have doubts about taking young kids though.

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 09:00 PM
I'd imagine there will be Rangers Fans on the East Side of the Stadium before the game, as a lot of them actually live there and will have to pass that side of the ground on their way to the match... for instance the ones coming from Rutherglen and Toryglen, not to mention the ones that actually live in Mount Florida itself.

I'm sure there will be however they will be hugely outnumbered by Hibees.

BH Hibs
19-04-2016, 09:15 PM
Trains from Central will be segregated – this happened very efficiently at the Hearts final. I think if you're on a supporters bus or get the train to the right end of the ground, the chance of any problem is minimal.

I can understand why folk would have doubts about taking young kids though.

No to sure about the trains being segregated this time as there are less trains running due to the work at Queen Street. Imagine there will be a police presence on trains and at stations. I noticed this when Hertz went to Parkhead recently that there were police on the the platforms from Airdrie onwards.

Steve-O
19-04-2016, 11:57 PM
I went to the 1993 League Cup final at 12 years old and would have no qualms about taking a child to such a game. I really don't think it's as hard to avoid 'bother' as some are making out. At that age I really had little idea about the hate and bile they were singing about either, so I don't think 'exposure' to such things is much of a problem either.

Hibee_Craig7062
20-04-2016, 07:22 AM
I went to the 1993 League Cup final at 12 years old and would have no qualms about taking a child to such a game. I really don't think it's as hard to avoid 'bother' as some are making out. At that age I really had little idea about the hate and bile they were singing about either, so I don't think 'exposure' to such things is much of a problem either.

I said much the same thing earlier in the thread

marinello59
20-04-2016, 08:06 AM

Half the time it's impossible to make out what they are actually singing and despite claims to the contrary the songs with the offensive lines are sporadic rather than constant. That's still unacceptable I know but beat them and they won't be singing anything.
If we win then their songs will get barely a mention. Win and it will be a twenty pager about them on here.

JimBHibees
20-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Half the time it's impossible to make out what they are actually singing and despite claims to the contrary the songs with the offensive lines are sporadic rather than constant. That's still unacceptable I know but beat them and they won't be singing anything.
If we win then their songs will get barely a mention. Win and it will be a twenty pager about them on here.

The really odd thing is that there appears to be no songs they sing which have no sectarian reference. In a country where those attending church regularly is probably less than 10 per cent the obsession with religion is incredible to be honest. Absolutely nothing to do with the best sport in the world. Weird.

bigwheel
20-04-2016, 08:51 AM

As a parent you need to make your own call. I've taken kids to many big games, without issue..including Ibrox etc. Travelling by car or supporter bus in and out of the game has very little risk. Although actually, I used the train to and from Ibrox on many occasions...If this was a thread about what drunken Hibs bam will get into a fight with another Hibs fan in the ground, then I'd understand it...to me that's much more likely than any incident outside the ground.

Mikey09
20-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Really is a horrible experience playing them at Hampden. Compare it to the 2007 final against Killie. Apart from the obvious result, we were on the train to Hampden with loads of Killie fans having good natured banter and drinking a bottle of single malt being handed round. Not a bit of trouble. However I have to say it's a lottery who can be sitting round about you and have had some real twats spoil our day out.

FromTheCapital
20-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Without sounding arrogant or ignorant, it's the Scottish Cup final.

I'm sure you child will want to grow up and say "I was there" when we won the cup after 114 years?

My 11 year brother will be there, he wouldn't miss it for the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frazeHFC
20-04-2016, 10:27 AM
I can't wait for this game but it is inevitable that there will be fighting in and around the stadium, either with those manky Rangers lot or idiots in our own support. Can fully understand why people wouldn't take kids through, sorry state of affairs when it comes to having to make that decision though. :rolleyes:

eastcoasthibby
20-04-2016, 12:48 PM
I can't wait for this game but it is inevitable that there will be fighting in and around the stadium, either with those manky Rangers lot or idiots in our own support. Can fully understand why people wouldn't take kids through, sorry state of affairs when it comes to having to make that decision though. :rolleyes:

What a sad sorry indictment of what is the reality of what that club "the Rangers"a new club !! Brings to Scottish football ...this conversation would not exist with any other club....the problem is that they have continued from where they left off and to an extent worse, because they have been supported and unchallenged in their behaviours as both a club and their fans by the governing bodies....they think they are untouchable again!!
We should all be looking forward to this final with no concerns about taking our kids and or even as adults, but there obviously is and its downright wrong and out of order, we wonder about Scottish football ! Here is another reason ..because that club still exists having reformed with all its previous antics, attitudes and behaviours still sustaining it ...
SFL/SFA are a disgrace ...our kids are the fans of the future, does that matter anymore ??

SeanWilson
20-04-2016, 01:33 PM
As a parent you need to make your own call. I've taken kids to many big games, without issue..including Ibrox etc. Travelling by car or supporter bus in and out of the game has very little risk. Although actually, I used the train to and from Ibrox on many occasions...If this was a thread about what drunken Hibs bam will get into a fight with another Hibs fan in the ground, then I'd understand it...to me that's much more likely than any incident outside the ground.

Yeah, each to their own. My kids are still pretty young (6 and 4), while my eldest does take an interest now and is V keen to go, the twins are not fussed. I'd rather enjoy my day out with my wife, dad and brother, safe in the knowledge that my kids are cheering us on at home and i can enjoy the day, without having to worry.

leggeto
20-04-2016, 01:36 PM
I'll be taking my 3,7 and 12 year olds,don't let them scare you anyway they will all be gone as we will still be in the stadium at the end ;)

Keith_M
20-04-2016, 04:34 PM
I'm sure there will be however they will be hugely outnumbered by Hibees.

:agree:

Nothing to worry about, really

DH1875
20-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Think it only really becomes an issue after the game and if your using public transport. Not only will their 22k fans at the game be back in the city centre but also the thousands who couldn't get a ticket and are out in town watching it. They'll have a good 30 min start on us after the game as well so the train stations and city centre pubs will be dodgy.

Scouse Hibee
20-04-2016, 04:55 PM
I'll be taking my 22 year old so he can look after me!

cloudy
21-04-2016, 05:24 PM
Does Hampden have a family section? Seen a few people mention sitting in the family section at previous games but can't recall an option when buying tickets for previous visits

Onceinawhile
21-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Does Hampden have a family section? Seen a few people mention sitting in the family section at previous games but can't recall an option when buying tickets for previous visits

Behind the goals so the east or west is nominally the family section, though it's usually cheaper it isn't advertised as a family section for the final usually.

G B Young
22-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Behind the goals so the east or west is nominally the family section, though it's usually cheaper it isn't advertised as a family section for the final usually.

When you say a 'family section' do you mean just for Hibs fans or a mixed area? I'm not sure a family section shared with Rangers fans, no matter their age, would be a particularly relaxing experience. While I'd actually be interested to see how football would respond to doing away with segregation at matches there's always been more of a sense of danger with Rangers fans than any others IMHO. Just look at the thread about memories of the 79 final!

hibee
22-04-2016, 06:15 PM
When you say a 'family section' do you mean just for Hibs fans or a mixed area?

It's never mixed, there's usually enough fighting between the Hibs fans without introducing the other teams support!

Pete
22-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Behind the goals is sometimes cheaper so it's kind of suggested that it's a section for families.

There's nothing to stop a group of adults going there though which results in a lot of tanked up erses being mixed in with families.

They could solve this easily but time and time again they choose not to.

DH1875
22-04-2016, 06:18 PM
When you say a 'family section' do you mean just for Hibs fans or a mixed area? I'm not sure a family section shared with Rangers fans, no matter their age, would be a particularly relaxing experience. While I'd actually be interested to see how football would respond to doing away with segregation at matches there's always been more of a sense of danger with Rangers fans than any others IMHO. Just look at the thread about memories of the 79 final!

It's just Hibs fans and to be honest, wouldn't even really call it a family section. It's just the section you can buy reduced priced tickets for the kids.

07BigD
22-04-2016, 09:47 PM

My initial inclination was not to take my two boys because I am worried about the Zombie Orcs causing trouble but then I thought "**** that" why should they miss out because of the behaviour of others? You can't wrap them in cotton wool forever

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

MickeyEdwards
23-04-2016, 08:35 PM
I remember when my boys were at primary school, we took them to Ibrox and the joys of the Broomloan Lower.

The "pies and bovril" arriving at half time from the Upper Tier was bad enough but a couple of 50 to 60 year old "thugs" covered in tattoos body piercings and wearing only short sleeved Hun tops on a cold Winter's day upset my boys with visual signs and threats that they "would be outside" after the final whistle. It was so bad that my youngest, then around 10 years old, insisted that we all took our Hibs scarfs off so that the walk back to the car might be a bit safer.

Never been back to Ibrox for league games since but have been back for Cup games where we get the entire Broomloan and more reliable policing to ensure a safer exit. the 3-0 in Feb 2006 game was a special one it has to be said! Gaz, Ivan and Chris Killen got the goals, all the goals right in front of us too!

Hampden might be different as long as you enter and leave the stadium from the East (Torryglen/Asda) side and leave the West (Mount Florida/Queens Park) to the Huns as they believe that it is theirs!

hibeesjoe
23-04-2016, 08:40 PM
You've got to keep youngsters away from our very own assholes as well, remember.

There was a few assholes at the Dundee Utd semi. Totally scunners you about going

IberianHibernian
23-04-2016, 09:47 PM
Amazingly this will be our 7th cup final of the century and the first against new or old Rangers . Because of opposition the 3 LC finals have been great for families with loads of tickets available and friendly atmosphere except for odd incident among our own support ( I`m saying this as long - time fan who has not gone to any LC final with kids and would probably enjoy a more intense atmosphere with other long - term Hibbies ) and the SC finals haven`t been complicated either with 2 against Celtic which are never as complicated as big games against Rangers and 1 against Hearts when policing in Glasgow was easy before and after ( sadly in all three SC finals heavy defeats probably made after match policing easier ) .
So should fans take kids ? Any Hibs fan old enough to have kids will know about desire to win SC whether invented by press or not so would understandably be delighted to share experience of seeing us win cup with their kids but would probably have an even better time celebrating with other Hibbies who have followed the club for many years and without worrying about safety issues .

buktapurple79
23-04-2016, 10:42 PM
Get a grip this is our final and my bairns will be there. Do you think they are asking the same? Growth mindset please - stop this worrying about the other mob. We smashed them this week and will shut them up in the final. Let the youngsters be there and love it.

Canon Hannan
24-04-2016, 02:39 AM
Think the answer is arrive from the East side of the stadium and you will not meet many SEVCO supporters at all. After the game one support will be home before the other leaves and this will help too. We will fill half the stadium and match them for numbers. Kids will be fine.

SeanWilson
24-04-2016, 08:39 AM
It's just Hibs fans and to be honest, wouldn't even really call it a family section. It's just the section you can buy reduced priced tickets for the kids.

Which tends to attract the dregs of our own support....

Alfred E Newman
24-04-2016, 11:32 AM
I never contemplated taking my then 9 year old son to the 1979 final . Thankfully times have changed and I would not really have any qualms about it now though it is all about making sure you stick to the designated Hibs areas pre and post match where there is safety in numbers.

Hibernia&Alba
24-04-2016, 11:42 AM
I'd be very wary and wouldn't consider putting children in sections near segregation lines. They're going to be drunk, angry, vindictive. We already know that many in their support hate everyone and everything, but remember their hatred for Hibs is particularly fierce. Everyone needs to be careful around the stadium on the day: don't allow yourself to become isolated, and walk away from provocation.

DUX
24-04-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd be very wary and wouldn't consider putting children in sections near segregation lines. They're going to be drunk, angry, vindictive. We already know that many in their support hate everyone and everything, but remember their hatred for Hibs is particularly fierce. Everyone needs to be careful around the stadium on the day: don't allow yourself to become isolated, and walk away from provocation.

Attack is the best form of defence! If any them come near me and want a bit aggro my inclination would be to steam in.

Hibernia&Alba
24-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Attack is the best form of defence! If any them come near me and want a bit aggro my inclination would be to steam in.

But what good would that do? Behaving like them isn't the answer, particularly when there are children around. You'd be playing into the hands of the worst elements of the Rangers support.

DUX
24-04-2016, 11:51 AM
But what good would that do? Behaving like them isn't the answer, particularly when there are children around. You'd be playing into the hands of the worst elements of the Rangers support.

I can guarantee you I will be there not looking for any bother whatsoever!

However if any of them come near me looking for bother I will not be standing around waiting to be set upon.

I have respiratory problems and can't run which limits my alternatives somewhat so I will very probably steam in.

DUX
24-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Of course I am talking about defending myself and other hibbies if set upon. I hope there is no trouble and therefore no need to defend ourselves against unprovoked troublemakers.

:aok:

SaulGoodman
24-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Should be the bairns choice. Imagine if we win it and those poor bairns don't get to see it cause of their paranoid parents.

Meanwhile all the bairns pals at school are talking about the game.

It's not THAT hard to avoid trouble, stay within the Hibs fans and don't go mouthing off. If you see trouble starting stay away from it.

It's Glasgow, no the Gaza Strip.

DUX
24-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Should be the bairns choice. Imagine if we win it and those poor bairns don't get to see it cause of their paranoid parents.

Meanwhile all the bairns pals at school are talking about the game.

It's not THAT hard to avoid trouble, stay within the Hibs fans and don't go mouthing off. If you see trouble starting stay away from it.

It's Glasgow, no the Gaza Strip.

Thank Goodness Gaza's not going to strip, his moobs would frighten anyone never mind the children!

:greengrin

G B Young
16-05-2016, 06:11 PM
Just bumping this one up again in the light of the thread about keeping safe in Glasgow. Out of interest, did anyone on here decide NOT to take their kids in the end?

Lang Toun Hibs
16-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Whole family going this time...5, 9 and 12 with me and the Mrs. Against Hearts it was just Mrs DH and me, against Celtic the two eldest(?) came along too. This time all of us - don't want any of them to miss out!🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

JFK-1
16-05-2016, 07:10 PM
I'm a Rangers fan and I can assure you that the vast majority are just typical fans who want to watch the match just like you do then go home peacefully. I expect we're all aware that every club has an element of 100% morons following it and with that in mind the best you can do is take steps to remain in a large crowd because the freaks out there are like predators trying to isolate a target from the herd.

If I were going to take young kids to a match as big as this I would be making a detailed plan ahead of time regarding how I intended to get in and out of there. On the day the streets for a mile around Hampden will be flooded with police. Stay in the safe zones where they are.