PDA

View Full Version : Penalty kick rules

GreenCastle
18-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Having a discussion with a friend last night. 3 questions..

Do they still flip a coin to choose which end the penalties are taken at ? I know this used to be the case but I'm sure I've seen it where they haven't flipped and said its to do with health and safety ( fans behind the goals etc).

Taking a penalty..is there a time limit on how long someone can wait to take a penalty. Whistle goes then pause for a few seconds then take. I know obviously there isn't s stop clock but you rarely see players take 5-10 seconds. We were joking you could run up from the half way line and take it if you wanted to do something different and time allowed.

Final question is if a team has a player sent off - how does that affect the penalties if the scores continue to be level and it works the way through the team? Does someone just not take one ? Once all 10 have taken ?

Any refs or anyone know would be appreciated. Thanks

Moulin Yarns
18-04-2016, 08:46 AM

Do they still flip a coin to choose which end the penalties are taken at ? I know this used to be the case but I'm sure I've seen it where they haven't flipped and said its to do with health and safety ( fans behind the goals etc).

Taking a penalty..is there a time limit on how long someone can wait to take a penalty. Whistle goes then pause for a few seconds then take. I know obviously there isn't s stop clock but you rarely see players take 5-10 seconds. We were joking you could run up from the half way line and take it if you wanted to do something different and time allowed.

Final question is if a team has a player sent off - how does that affect the penalties if the scores continue to be level and it works the way through the team? Does someone just not take one ? Once all 10 have taken ?

The last one, I think I saw somewhere the ref evens things up so only 10 players from each team would take penalties.

Craig_in_Prague
18-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Re. 1st point - I think it's done/decided before the game starts. Could be wrong.

I hate also the stuttering runs, probably nothing illegal but I'd like to see it banned.

Since90+2
18-04-2016, 08:53 AM
Are you allowed to shout to put other players off as big Conrad done on Saturday?

Obviously worked a treat for us but im surprised you are allowed to shout at the penalty taker.

Hibbyradge
18-04-2016, 08:57 AM
Are you allowed to shout to put other players off as big Conrad done on Saturday?

Obviously worked a treat for us but im surprised you are allowed to shout at the penalty taker.

I was surprised the referee allowed that to carry on.

I think it could be classed as ungentlemanly conduct. We used to call it "speech play".

O'Rourke3
18-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Toss up before the game for ends, toss up at the end for who goes first.

Not sure of the time limit. Longer it takes must work for the goalie. Demel picking the ball up and handing it to Cummings I've never seen before so he must have been trying to wind him up a bit. That didn't work.

Sledging. I thinks fine up to the start of the run up. Grobbelaar's bendy legs antics similar.

AltheHibby
18-04-2016, 09:23 AM
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_shoot-out_(association_football)

It is Wikipedia, but it's probably correct. The "procedure" section explains what you need to know.

Mikey09
18-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Re. 1st point - I think it's done/decided before the game starts. Could be wrong.

I hate also the stuttering runs, probably nothing illegal but I'd like to see it banned.

You can bet yer arse it will have already been decided which end a penalty shootout will take place in the final should it come to that... :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
18-04-2016, 09:38 AM
Seems to be a lot of keepers these days massively off their line before the kick is taken. Never seems to be punished.

derekHFC
18-04-2016, 09:42 AM

I think the referee decides at what end they'll be taken and the coin toss decides who goes first or second.

No time limit to taking a penalty, but if it went on too long, a player could be cautioned for ungentlemanly conduct I suppose.

If a player is sent off in normal time or extra time, the team with 11-players should nominate one player to sit out the penalty kicks.

At the moment, if a player is sent off in the penalty shoot out, the team who has a man advantage still have that, but its then seen as being your worst taker against potentially their best if it goes that way. This rule is changing next season I think. I may have it the wrong way round though :greengrin

Diclonius
18-04-2016, 09:44 AM
If your team is down to ten men then an opposition player has to elect not to take any penalties in a shootout.

I remember this because of an incident when Dundee United went to penalties with Hearts in one of the cups, back when R**i S****l was briefly playing for United. Hearts were down to ten men - guess which United player chose not to take any penalties?

Jones28
18-04-2016, 10:15 AM

I'm sure you're not allowed to actually stop, stuttering is allowed.

macca70
18-04-2016, 10:35 AM
Thomson tossed a coin just prior to the penalty kicks yesterday and it was quite clear on the telly that the winner of the coin flip was getting to choose which end the penalties were taken.

mghibs
18-04-2016, 10:35 AM

As far as I know the penalty ends and first kick takers are decided at the beginning of extra time

Ringothedog
18-04-2016, 10:40 AM
I was surprised the referee allowed that to carry on.

I think it could be classed as ungentlemanly conduct. We used to call it "speech play".

Surely it can only be speech play if the ball is "live", Logan was only shouting prior to the kicks being taken.

nellio
18-04-2016, 10:41 AM
99% sure that a coin is tossed then the winner can choose the end the pens are at. Then the loser decides if they want to shoot first or not. Makes sense as pens at Hibs end and Dundee Utd shooting (and missing ) first.

CapitalGreen
18-04-2016, 10:48 AM
Thomson tossed a coin just prior to the penalty kicks yesterday and it was quite clear on the telly that the winner of the coin flip was getting to choose which end the penalties were taken.

The winner (Lee Wallace) chose to go first. He did not choose which end, you think he would have chosen the Celtic end? You could hear the conversation on the TV.

lapsedhibee
18-04-2016, 11:23 AM
The winner (Lee Wallace) chose to go first. He did not choose which end, you think he would have chosen the Celtic end? You could hear the conversation on the TV.

Perhaps you get to choose which end or whether to kick first. Exactly like the toss before a game.

hibbysam
18-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Perhaps you get to choose which end or whether to kick first. Exactly like the toss before a game.

You cannot choose to kick off from the toss before the game. You choose which end and the losing side take kick off.

The toss for which end takes place before the game, so that cameras etc can get set up. I knew on Saturday due to every single cameraman running towards the east end. The coin toss before the shootout is determining who shoots first or second.

StevieT
18-04-2016, 11:30 AM

At the start of a game the winner of the coin toss only get to choose the direction in which they will play, the loser of the coin toss will always kick off.

lapsedhibee
18-04-2016, 03:12 PM
You cannot choose to kick off from the toss before the game. You choose which end and the losing side take kick off.

At the start of a game the winner of the coin toss only get to choose the direction in which they will play, the loser of the coin toss will always kick off.

Ah right, I thought we were discussing Wimbledon finals, tie-breaks and that. :doh:

TRC
18-04-2016, 03:52 PM
Is there not a rule about the stutter pen in that you must take the ball in stride and can't stop dead in your run up?

Scouse Hibee
18-04-2016, 04:26 PM

No they were tossing to see who went first it was very clear on tv,they were not tossing for ends.

SunshineOnLeith
18-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Slight tangent, but my favourite obscure rule of football is that, during a penalty shootout, all players (other than the penalty taker and the two goalies) have to be within the centre circle.

I'm_cabbaged
18-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Am I the only one thinking "ya bass" is missing from the title? 😀

neil7908
18-04-2016, 06:18 PM
I have a question as well - can a keeper or player be sent off in a penalty shoot out? And what would happen if it was the goalkeeper? Could they use a sub if they had one left?

tamig
18-04-2016, 06:27 PM
If your team is down to ten men then an opposition player has to elect not to take any penalties in a shootout.

I remember this because of an incident when Dundee United went to penalties with Hearts in one of the cups, back when R**i S****l was briefly playing for United. Hearts were down to ten men - guess which United player chose not to take any penalties?

How do you know that - did the shoot out last more than 20 kicks?

SunshineOnLeith
18-04-2016, 06:47 PM
I have a question as well - can a keeper or player be sent off in a penalty shoot out? And what would happen if it was the goalkeeper? Could they use a sub if they had one left?

Yes, you can be booked and/or sent off.

No, you can't make a substitution in that case. Someone else would have to go in goals.

The only time you can make a substitution during a penalty shootout is if your goalie gets injured during the shootout, AND you have a substitution left to make (i.e. you only made 2 during normal time and extra time)

SunshineOnLeith
18-04-2016, 06:48 PM
How do you know that - did the shoot out last more than 20 kicks?

The excluded player isn't allowed on the field of play during the shootout.

tamig
18-04-2016, 07:03 PM

Ah right. I just can't recall any mention of it at the time.

GreenCastle
18-04-2016, 08:29 PM

No, you can't make a substitution in that case. Someone else would have to go in goals.

The only time you can make a substitution during a penalty shootout is if your goalie gets injured during the shootout, AND you have a substitution left to make (i.e. you only made 2 during normal time and extra time)

You can make a sub during a penalty shootout :confused: never seen this and didn't even know it was allowed??

Jumbo
18-04-2016, 08:29 PM
You can bet yer arse it will have already been decided which end a penalty shootout will take place in the final should it come to that... :greengrin

It was up their end the last time we beat them on penalties at Hampden 👍

SunshineOnLeith
18-04-2016, 08:31 PM
You can make a sub during a penalty shootout :confused: never seen this and didn't even know it was allowed??

It's pretty niche but it's in the rules. Only in the circumstance where your goalie gets injured and you have a substitution left.

StevieT
18-04-2016, 08:54 PM

The things us referees need to know eh

eezyrider
18-04-2016, 08:57 PM

Interstingly:

- A team may replace a goalkeeper who becomes injured during the shoot-out with a substitute, provided the team has not already used the maximum number of substitutes allowed by the competition.

- If a goalkeeper is sent off during the shoot-out, another player who finished the game must act as goalkeeper.

- If a player, other than the goalkeeper, becomes injured or is sent off during the shoot-out, then the shoot-out will continue with no substitution allowed.

- Any player remaining on the pitch may act as goalkeeper, and it is not required that the same player act as goalkeeper throughout the shoot-out.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/laws_of_the_game_0708_10565.pdf

EZ

neil7908
18-04-2016, 09:22 PM

Cheers!

McD
19-04-2016, 08:43 AM

On a slightly similar note, I remember watching England playing in an U21 championship some years ago, where newcastle's Steven Taylor picked up an injury during extra time.

when the penalties came to be taken, he headed off to the bench, not wanting to take one due to the injury. After several penalties each, he was trying to get out of taking one, but was made to by the officials as he hadn't come off the field (permanently) because of the injury. Commentators were gnashing their teeth, almost accusing the officials of cheating them by forcing him to take one, until someone pointed out that ALL of the finishing 11 players had to take a penalty before someone could take a second one.

Bill Milne
19-04-2016, 09:13 AM
I can't recall in 2004 against the Huns whether the ref tossed a coin or simply decided to go to the Huns end! Can anyone help?