PDA

View Full Version : New Club Same Old Songs & SFA Complicit Encouragement

Leith Mo
17-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Just watched BBC ONE Scottish News. First item the Rangers are in the funal. Followed by scenes of a post match celebration at the National Stadium with the dj playing "Penny Arcade" which refers in their bigoted eyes to a murder in a Belfast amusement arcade of an innocent Catholic civilian. Not what I pay my licence fee for and not what Scottish Football authorities should encourage. We have Sunshine on Leith played when we win these big games but non-sectarian. Sums up why I hate the new Club and the same old Scottish Establishment

Ayrshire Hibbie
17-04-2016, 11:02 PM
Enjoyed singing on Saturday at Hamden. Glory glory, super John McGinn,etc. Watching game today had to endure the sash, no surrender and the Billy boys. Will this ever end SFA?

Keyser Sauzee
17-04-2016, 11:05 PM
Just watched BBC ONE Scottish News. First item the Rangers are in the funal. Followed by scenes of a post match celebration at the National Stadium with the dj playing "Penny Arcade" which refers in their bigoted eyes to a murder in a Belfast amusement arcade of an innocent Catholic civilian. Not what I pay my licence fee for and not what Scottish Football authorities should encourage. We have Sunshine on Leith played when we win these big games but non-sectarian. Sums up why I hate the new Club and the same old Scottish Establishment

I hate The Rangers as much as I do Hearts but of all the songs they sing to be offended by Penny Arcade, a Roy Orbison song is baffling

linlithgowhibbie
18-04-2016, 06:26 AM
I hate The Rangers as much as I do Hearts but of all the songs they sing to be offended by Penny Arcade, a Roy Orbison song is baffling

Its the history and reason they sing it that many find offensive, not the actual song:agree:

Ever wonder why they sing it?

marinello59
18-04-2016, 07:26 AM

That's a myth. They were singing it for a while before Celtic fans contrived a way of being offended by it. We really shouldn't get sucked in to their stupid games.

Nakedmanoncrack
18-04-2016, 07:28 AM
That's a myth. They were singing it for a while before Celtic fans contrived a way of being offended by it. We really shouldn't get sucked in to their stupid games.

Agreed.

Golden Bear
18-04-2016, 07:39 AM
I really think that some of us are becoming over sensitive these days!

Siralbertkidd
18-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Clear pictures on BBC website of smoke bombs being let off though, and not a word about fines or sanctions.

Billychaotic182
18-04-2016, 08:57 AM

Have to agree with you.

Since90+2
18-04-2016, 08:59 AM
Clear as day on the TV yesterday Rangers fans signing "We are Rangers , super Rangers we hate Celtic F***** B*******" .

There were only 9 arrests at the ground yesterday some for sectarian signing. Those 9 must have very loud voices.

Leith Mo
18-04-2016, 09:54 AM
In any situation involving Sevco the song is clearly sectarian and they know it as I suspect do many others who continue to deny the fact.

DH1875
18-04-2016, 09:57 AM
I really think that some of us are becoming over sensitive these days!

If folk think what was heard on the telly was bad, wait until we play them in the final.

Stokesy's on fire
18-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Shocking again Hibs win on Saturday and we sing Sunshine on Leith...Rangers celebrate by singing about being up to their knees in fenian blood disgusting! SFA should be pulled over the coals for allowing Penny Arcade to be played encouraging bigotry once again.

LustForLeith
18-04-2016, 10:11 AM
I might be wrong but I heard Penny Arcade was the song that was played when Roy Orbinson was christened? Or is it a confirmation service?!

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2016, 10:19 AM
I might be wrong but I heard Penny Arcade was the song that was played when Roy Orbinson was christened? Or is it a confirmation service?!

Was written by an English guy in 1969, so no.

As for the reason why it's sung, the closest I can get to a reasonable explanation is that Ibrox was built on the site of a penny arcade.

There doesn't need to be any reason for these songs, though. They often just happen..... Paper Roses at Killie, for example.

Frazerbob
18-04-2016, 10:27 AM
There's been very little said about the big Celtic banners which read "Hun **** Forever". After the messages sent out about offensive banners before the semis, surely that constitutes offensive, even if we do agree with the sentiment!

JeMeSouviens
18-04-2016, 10:38 AM

According to NewHunMedia, it was part of the repertoire of a band called Platoon that play in loyalist/orange clubs in Belfast and it caught on from there.

JimBHibees
18-04-2016, 10:48 AM

Tend to agree. The OF whataboutery is a joke.

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2016, 10:52 AM
I've heard some folk saying they sing it to celebrate the killing of a couple of IRA sympathizers in an amusement arcade in Belfast, I've no idea of the validity of such claims though.

snooky
18-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Knowing the well-defined mindset of their support, I find it very hard to believe that the reason they sing Penny Arcade is that it is a nice song and/or they are all Roy Orbison fans. :rolleyes:

Moulin Yarns
18-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Knowing the well-defined mindset of their support, I find it very hard to believe that the reason they sing Penny Arcade is that it is a nice song and/or they are all Roy Orbison fans. :rolleyes:

Not sure if this helps or not

http://www.thecoplandroad.org/2013/06/rangers-exposed.html

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2016, 11:34 AM

Love it :greengrin

DH1875
18-04-2016, 11:39 AM
Notice that both sets of fans had smoke bombs and flares as well.

My_Wife_Camille
18-04-2016, 11:50 AM
:agree: Made up Celtic *****.

Colr
18-04-2016, 11:58 AM
Was written by an English guy in 1969, so no.

As for the reason why it's sung, the closest I can get to a reasonable explanation is that Ibrox was built on the site of a penny arcade.

There doesn't need to be any reason for these songs, though. They often just happen..... Paper Roses at Killie, for example.

"I'm forever Blowing Bubbles" is a slight by West Ham on Fulham supporting Michael Jackson. Clearly. .... and I'm offended.

JimBHibees
18-04-2016, 12:02 PM
"I'm forever Blowing Bubbles" is a slight by West Ham on Fulham supporting Michael Jackson. Clearly. .... and I'm offended.

Brilliant. :not worth

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2016, 12:14 PM

:greengrin

I actually deleted the Bubble bit from my post when I read the actual reason.....

"I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" was introduced to the club by former manager Charlie Paynter in the late twenties. A player, Billy J. "Bubbles" Murray who played for the local Park School had a resemblance to the boy in the "Bubbles" painting by Millais used in a Pears soap commercial of the time. Headmaster Cornelius Beal began singing the tune "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" with amended lyrics when Park players played well.[4]

Cough...Headmaster... boy in soap advert..... the MJ connection might not be too far away.

:cb

snooky
18-04-2016, 12:14 PM
:faf: :top marks

18-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Everything about them, everything they do revolves around hatred and bigotry. An institution truly rank rotten to its very core. Vile, poisonous and utterly toxic club.

Scotland's almighty embarrassment yet nobody in authority has the balls to do anything about it - god forbid upset the old firm!

snooky
18-04-2016, 12:30 PM
Everything about them, everything they do revolves around hatred and bigotry. An institution truly rank rotten to its very core. Vile, poisonous and utterly toxic club.

Scotland's almighty embarrassment yet nobody in authority has the balls to do anything about it - god forbid upset the old firm!

The authorities in the Scottish game are all part of the same clique - there lies the problem.

18-04-2016, 12:37 PM

very interesting and simply confirms what we already knew, that bigotry and hatred is ingrained and runs right through the club.

Shrekko
18-04-2016, 12:50 PM
very interesting and simply confirms what we already knew, that bigotry and hatred is ingrained and runs right through the club.

You do realise it's a spoof article written by a Rangers fan?

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2016, 01:05 PM

Whoosh :)

hibs0666
18-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Awww man :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
18-04-2016, 01:42 PM

Dearie me!

MKHIBEE
18-04-2016, 02:17 PM

I read the same article this morning, the comments section is illuminating, to be honest I have difficulty believing they would sing that song because they like the tune.

CropleyWasGod
18-04-2016, 02:27 PM
I read the same article this morning, the comments section is illuminating, to be honest I have difficulty believing they would sing that song because they like the tune.

Yeah it is... it illuminates the fact that the article is a wind-up.

When I was lad my uncle deliberately ran over and killed my pet cat when he discovered it was a Catholic.

I think we should sue Roy Orbson's estate for singing our beloved song Penny Arcade in the 1960s

Sorry i must also confess that my Catholic hating dad only named me Bob as it reminded him of the way his boat bobbed along merrily whilst dredging all the dead Catholics that were shamefully drowned in the blue sea of Ibrox.

18-04-2016, 03:42 PM
Dearie me!

Awww man :thumbsup:

Whoosh :)

You do realise it's a spoof article written by a Rangers fan?

Its been a long day :embarrass

Nevertheless its still true, bigotry is deep routed in The Rangers and sectarian bile runs through the fabric of the club.

JIm
18-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Perhaps I am missing something here guys but yet again we seem to be skipping over the fact that the SFA do not have the ability/powers to do anything.

It was made clear over the December/January period when Sevco were belting out their full repertoire against us that nothing would be done. Mike Mulraney (Alloa chairman) then came out and confirmed CLUBS will not support strict liability leaving the SFA/SPFL with no clout on this matter.

Please correct if I'm wrong but it appears that until clubs in this country grow some backbone it will be an on-going problem and there is nothing that the authorities can do.

18-04-2016, 04:04 PM
Perhaps I am missing something here guys but yet again we seem to be skipping over the fact that the SFA do not have the ability/powers to do anything.

It was made clear over the December/January period when Sevco were belting out their full repertoire against us that nothing would be done. Mike Mulraney (Alloa chairman) then came out and confirmed CLUBS will not support strict liability leaving the SFA/SPFL with no clout on this matter.

Please correct if I'm wrong but it appears that until clubs in this country grow some backbone it will be an on-going problem and there is nothing that the authorities can do.

If this myth that its "just a minority" that is regularly peddled out was true it wouldn't be particularly difficult to stop as fans could more easily indentify culprits to police/stewards. The problem is however that it is far from a minority. 20-30k of rangers fans yesterday belting out their usual "up to our knees in fenian blood" etc etc, all very audible on TV. they come to ER every season and the whole stand loudly and proudly belt out their bile.

This "oh its just a minority" nonsense is utter pish and fine well they know it.

Viva_Palmeiras
18-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Under carpet swept...

In other news I heard (I have the "fortune" to work in the weege) that ONeils in the Merchant city was the focus of attention from the Chelsea headhunters... The bloke I heard it off is management and doesn't support the OF so I believe there may be some mileage in it...

SJM
18-04-2016, 04:09 PM
Penny arcade was sang by a loyalist band at fundraisers in the 80s and 90s something to do with the the line "spend your last penny" or some **** like that my old man informs me. It caught on from there. Bigoted roots you could say but not a bigoted song.

JIm
18-04-2016, 04:25 PM
If this myth that its "just a minority" that is regularly peddled out was true it wouldn't be particularly difficult to stop as fans could more easily indentify culprits to police/stewards. The problem is however that it is far from a minority. 20-30k of rangers fans yesterday belting out their usual "up to our knees in fenian blood" etc etc, all very audible on TV. they come to ER every season and the whole stand loudly and proudly belt out their bile.

This "oh its just a minority" nonsense is utter pish and fine well they know it.

You seem to completely have missed the point I'm making. I'm not disputing whether its a majority or a minority. Facts are until strict liability is backed, voted in and supported by the clubs then the SFA/SPFL cannot do anything about it. Whether its one person or thirty thousand people.

greenlex
18-04-2016, 04:47 PM
The fact that the song even remotely associated with sectarian roots should be enough for the SFA not to play it at Hamoden full stop never mind after a Rangers v Celtic match.

SJM
18-04-2016, 04:55 PM
The fact that the song even remotely associated with sectarian roots should be enough for the SFA not to play it at Hamoden full stop never mind after a Rangers v Celtic match.

They take the ignorance route though.

18-04-2016, 05:14 PM
They take the ignorance route though.

Yep, turn a blind eye, pretend nothings wrong.

davidw
18-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Back to the original subject, I turned on in extra time just as The Rangers went 2-1 up. To a man/moron, they were belting out The Billy Boys song. I don't think there's any debate about the meaning of that one, nor that the SFA will do nothing about it.

(((Fergus)))
18-04-2016, 05:48 PM
There's been very little said about the big Celtic banners which read "Hun **** Forever". After the messages sent out about offensive banners before the semis, surely that constitutes offensive, even if we do agree with the sentiment!

At least they give their pishy sheets an airing from time to time – look at the toxic vapour coming off them.