PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not able to make the final?

muzzando
17-04-2016, 03:44 PM
I fly away on holiday that afternoon (booked back in January before we had even played our first game against Raith and didn't even think to check when the final was) and land 10 mins after kick off so will be scrambling to find somewhere to see it though not hopeful :boo hoo:

As in the thread title, who else can't make it to the final and for what reason?

SteveHFC
17-04-2016, 03:50 PM
Cancel the holiday. You can go on holiday any other time. :agree:

fat freddy
17-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I have a different conundrum. I have tickets for The Manic Street Preachers at The SECC in Glasgow on the evening of the final, that's no problem if we lose... I just go to the gig, but if we win? Do I really want to be in Glasgow watching a band while Edinburgh is having the party to end all parties? should I stay or should I go?

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 04:16 PM
It's the one weekend of the year I absolutely HAVE to be working in London. Unbelievable. I'll be desperately trying to work out how to watch it.

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Boltonhibs. :faf:

HoboHarry
17-04-2016, 04:19 PM
I have a different conundrum. I have tickets for The Manic Street Preachers at The SECC in Glasgow on the evening of the final, that's no problem if we lose... I just go to the gig, but if we win? Do I really want to be in Glasgow watching a band while Edinburgh is having the party to end all parties? should I stay or should I go?

Bit of a "Clash" there........ 😜

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 04:19 PM

You would be able to sell them on the day without too much trouble, I would have thought.

G B Young
17-04-2016, 04:20 PM

Definitely go to the gig. If you're at Hampden and we win you can go mental in the stadium and it will be unforgettable. You would then have a great night at the gig, where you can continue to drink and celebrate. You'll also be able to attend the cup parade the next day. The party in Edinburgh might turn out to be overrated, especially if any bitter yams were to be looking for bother in the city centre.

And as you say, in the more likely event of defeat, the gig will be a good way to cheer you up!

Ayrshire Hibee
17-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Same here just means no colours ;-) but defo going to gig after it no matter the result.....btw Editors supporting are good too

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Bit of a "Clash" there........ 

Should never have made a 2nd Album. I'd skip it and get back for the party.

Spike Mandela
17-04-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm nightshift the Friday, Saturday and Sunday.:rolleyes:

Will try to get Saturday off but need to get cover and will be competing with The Rangers fans on shift trying to get off.:fuming:

LancsHibs
17-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Boltonhibs. :faf:

What's the story there?:hmmm:

LancsHibs
17-04-2016, 04:32 PM
I'm also away on holiday, will watch in a bar. I hope this change of routine brings a change of luck!!!

Future17
17-04-2016, 04:33 PM
Definitely go to the gig. If you're at Hampden and we win you can go mental in the stadium and it will be unforgettable. You would then have a great night at the gig, where you can continue to drink and celebrate. You'll also be able to attend the cup parade the next day. The party in Edinburgh might turn out to be overrated, especially if any bitter yams were to be looking for bother in the city centre.

And as you say, in the more likely event of defeat, the gig will be a good way to cheer you up!

And the award for the stereotypical Hibs mentality post of the day goes to...

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2016, 04:37 PM

Dont know, just got a text earlier saying he was away?

LancsHibs
17-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Dont know, just got a text earlier saying he was away?

Yeh me to Pal, ah well at least I made the semi:wink:

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2016, 04:41 PM
Yeh me to Pal, ah well at least I made the semi:wink:

:greengrin

Mango Man
17-04-2016, 04:44 PM

That's exactly what I did for the league cup final, had a gig at the art school later that night, it was a nice distraction for a couple of hours and avoided the mad dash back to Edinburgh with all the other poor souls. This one is different though, Glasgow will be a nightmare if they win it, would not want to stay there longer than is nessicary.

SteveHFC
17-04-2016, 04:46 PM
That's exactly what I did for the league cup final, had a gig at the art school later that night, it was a nice distraction for a couple of hours and avoided the mad dash back to Edinburgh with all the other poor souls. This one is different though, Glasgow will be a nightmare if they win it, would not want to stay there longer than is nessicary.

The trains will be carnage that day.

Pete
17-04-2016, 04:50 PM
I suspect this thread will get quite big. All the poor souls who are finished with Hampden because of all the trauma and heartache they have witnessed will log on eventually.

Mango Man
17-04-2016, 04:54 PM
😀
I still won't be going.

Jonny1875
17-04-2016, 04:55 PM
If anyone is a St holder and has enough points etc but can't attend please pm me I will purchase their tickets.... When available... Irish hibby with flights and accommodation booked but not many points...

dmc1875
17-04-2016, 04:56 PM
First time im going to miss a semi or final. Gutted.

In Orlando anyone know of any bar that will show it?

Bristolhibby
17-04-2016, 04:58 PM
I'm missing it.

My lads birthday for the League Cup Final, fair dos. Watched it with my eldest and Dad. Glad I didn't go.

This one, it's one of our oldest friends wedding that day in Sussex. No getting out of that.

My theory about being a Jinx doesn't add up as I tested it at the LC Final.

Never been to a final v the Huns, wouldn't say I'd look forward to it anyway.
That said, win and I'll be over the moon, but gutted not being there.

2 Finals in one season and I can't make either!

I'll be wearing my Hibs tie to the wedding.

J

hibs69
17-04-2016, 05:03 PM
Anyone going on holiday, I'd say cancel that....... And shift workers, I'd be asking for a swap? Can this not be done? Lifting the Holy Grail, and NOT being there??

overdrive
17-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Going to a wedding.

fat freddy
17-04-2016, 05:34 PM
Should never have made a 2nd Album. I'd skip it and get back for the party.

Fnaar Fnaar....it's actually the 4th album 20th anniversary tour, they probably won't be playing anything from the second album despite it being a masterpiece. I only have trouble listening to the difficult 9th album and a good chunk of the first album.

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Fnaar Fnaar....it's actually the 4th album 20th anniversary tour, they probably won't be playing anything from the second album despite it being a masterpiece. I only have trouble listening to the difficult 9th album and a good chunk of the first album.

Can't listen to anything except Motown Junk. Or Motorcycle Emptiness when I'm in that melancholic mood for some Seger / Springsteen cock rock. 20th Anniversary tour of the 4th album? Jeez, that's contrived.
Enjoy it though. It will be a funny day, no matter what. Thread hijack over!

KWJ
17-04-2016, 05:47 PM
Finally got some work, this comes bang in the middle of the whole reason I'm in the job :(

If flights get silly cheap then it could be a thing for the weekend but it's highly unlikely.

Gutted. Would probably be home in time for Europe!

BoltonHibee
17-04-2016, 05:52 PM

Golf trip in Wales!!

Canon Hannan
17-04-2016, 05:55 PM
My reasons are different.
I am exhausted after the game yesterday and don't drink.
Not sure I can handle the final.
I am guaranteed a ticket as well.
TV at home maybe.

fat freddy
17-04-2016, 06:00 PM
Can't listen to anything except Motown Junk. Or Motorcycle Emptiness when I'm in that melancholic mood for some Seger / Springsteen cock rock. 20th Anniversary tour of the 4th album? Jeez, that's contrived.
Enjoy it though. It will be a funny day, no matter what. Thread hijack over!
A lot of bands are doing this album anniversary lark, last year I saw The Manics do The Holy Bible 20th anniversary tour at The Usher Hall, strangely brilliant venue for such a band despite my reservations. The Damned recently done a Machine Gun Etiiquete 35 year anniversary tour, it makes the gigs a little less like greatest hits shows.

familyman
17-04-2016, 06:03 PM
I fly away on holiday that afternoon (booked back in January before we had even played our first game against Raith and didn't even think to check when the final was) and land 10 mins after kick off so will be scrambling to find somewhere to see it though not hopeful :boo hoo:

As in the thread title, who else can't make it to the final and for what reason?

I always buy the Wee Red Book and ink in the final date, must say I missed out on a possible cruise but hey I am a Hibs fan.Imagine if we win after all that time and I missed it!

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 06:12 PM
The only thing that would keep me away from a Scottish Cup final would be a death in the family.

Libby Hibby
17-04-2016, 06:17 PM
My wife is due baby #2 on the 16th of May, dilemma? Nah, I've booked the bus already for the boys and I'm hoping everything else goes to plan...just don't tell the wife.

If we win the cup and we end up having a girl, welcome Rebecca Hanlon big Marv Conrad Smith to the world

Alfred E Newman
17-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Unbelievable.
A few hours after we know who our opponents are and we get a thread for giving all the reasons for not going.
It would make you weep.

Stewboy
17-04-2016, 06:30 PM
Unbelievable.
A few hours after we know who our opponents are and we get a thread for giving all the reasons for not going.
It would make you weep.

Pretty sure most who can't make it want to!

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 06:32 PM
Unbelievable.
It would make you weep.

That's not really what it is, though, is it?

blackpoolhibs
17-04-2016, 06:43 PM
Golf trip in Wales!!

I have a twin room booked in a premier inn for the friday, get yer erse there.

HUTCHYHIBBY
17-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Any rugger on for you that day?

scott7_0(Prague)
17-04-2016, 06:57 PM
Decided not to attend. Am in Germany Fri/Sat the weekend of the final, then I fly to Malaysia the Friday after the final, had loads of things on since the League Cup final, been away a lot and back in Scotland in July with family. So between finances and time it's Prague for the final

Also I believe am the jinx.

So will watch it from the comfort of my garden with a few lads.

muzzando
17-04-2016, 06:59 PM
Unbelievable.
It would make you weep.
Nothing to do with not wanting to be there. Believe me, I'm gutted that I won't be there

LancsHibs
17-04-2016, 07:02 PM
Golf trip in Wales!!

Sorry mate, excuse just not good enough:slipper:

Spudster
17-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Madrid for a stag do. Already located the closest Irish bar to the hotel and will e-mail nearer the time to make sure it's on!

Alex Trager
17-04-2016, 07:25 PM

Keep a hold of the tickets but go to the gig if we win?!
No danger man

LustForLeith
17-04-2016, 08:12 PM
Bit of a debate as my sisters in law are having a BBQ for their 30th. Been told there's a telly to which I've replied that good, keep an eye on us at Hampden!

killie-hibby
17-04-2016, 08:31 PM
I suspect this thread will get quite big. All the poor souls who are finished with Hampden because of all the trauma and heartache they have witnessed will log on eventually.

Perhaps some may never log on again if they find The White Feather Club more soothing and relaxing than the trauma and heartache that most of us seem to cope with.
~:flag:

mutley
17-04-2016, 08:48 PM
I'm going to be in Estonia for the next 4 month, so I'll miss the final

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Irish_Steve
17-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Damn, i`m going to our Anarchist Club AGM, we`re voting in a new CEO

alexhibs
17-04-2016, 09:02 PM
Wedding :confused:

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Damn, i`m going to our Anarchist Club AGM, we`re voting in a new CEO

:faf:

Craig_in_Prague
17-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Madrid for a stag do. Already located the closest Irish bar to the hotel and will e-mail nearer the time to make sure it's on!

You should be fine. The Irish bars in Madrid have Sky, watched games before usually no issue at all.
If its on BBC then I guess everyone will see it, question of how/where.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2016, 09:30 PM
The only thing that would keep me away from a Scottish Cup final would be a death in the family.

Or you already had a holiday booked ;-)

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Or you already had a holiday booked ;-)

That was the League Cup final. :na na:

If I had booked a holiday that ended up clashing with a Scottish Cup final (whilst we are trying to end "the wait"), the holiday would either be getting moved or cancelled.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2016, 09:38 PM

If I had booked a holiday that ended up clashing with a Scottish Cup final (whilst we are trying to end "the wait"), the holiday would either be getting moved or cancelled.

Thought that would wake you up :-)

PatHead
17-04-2016, 09:39 PM

Gloryhunter :greengrin

Sean1875
18-04-2016, 02:45 AM
I'm in quite the dilemma.. final happens right in the middle of me travelling Asia, one month before I'm due to move back to Edinburgh for the first time in almost two years. Have absolutely no idea whether to risk the flight back and spending probably £600+ for a weekend to see the game and then fly back to Asia or just miss it and watch it from a far..

DH1875
18-04-2016, 08:15 AM
I'm in quite the dilemma.. final happens right in the middle of me travelling Asia, one month before I'm due to move back to Edinburgh for the first time in almost two years. Have absolutely no idea whether to risk the flight back and spending probably £600+ for a weekend to see the game and then fly back to Asia or just miss it and watch it from a far..

Or just move home a month earlier.

lyonhibs
18-04-2016, 08:16 AM
Up in the air for me. After the expense and disappointment of last month, coupled with the fact I've literally just got married (and all the lovely expense that brings) it's liable to be tough to fork out all over again.

Will probably end up doing it right enough...

Dalianwanda
18-04-2016, 08:35 AM
Just realised Im teaching meditation/mindset to a bunch of surfers...Would have cancelled but its a charity event and my names on the poster!? Trying not to be too gutted which is kinda ironic..

Deano_70
18-04-2016, 08:58 AM
I stupidly booked my Miami holiday at Christmas time not thinking for one second that this is what would happen. The previous two Scottish cup finals I booked and flew back the morning of the final.

The misses has shot me down and told me to find somewhere else to live if I fly back for 48 hours...... She's being a bit harsh I think

Green Diet
18-04-2016, 09:00 AM
18,800 kms of reasons why unfortunately.

I'm_cabbaged
18-04-2016, 09:15 AM
Going to a wedding.

Me too, the wife's now going on her jacks

offshorehibby
18-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Offshore for final, gutted. Will miss all the play-off games apart from the 25th if e get that far.

Sean1875
18-04-2016, 09:25 AM
Or just move home a month earlier.

already got flights booked from Bangkok to Paris to meet the family on June 17th though, and would mean missing out on travelling to Laos, Myanmar and Thailand.. heartbreaking but think it's going to be one i have to miss!

Hibrandenburg
18-04-2016, 02:39 PM
I'm in London renewing my license, it's due to run out end of May so if I don't do it then I won't be able to work :hmmm:

Dunedin Hibs
18-04-2016, 02:58 PM
I have just booked my airfare from New Zealand. Not Cheap, and 38 hours travel...with my Hibs shirt on all the way to, and from, Scotland.

Hibee87
18-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Booked a family holiday to Ibiza about a year ago without even thinking of the cup.

I looked at flying back but its not really feasible and I cant leave my son with his nanna in spain for 2 days.

So on the basis that me and the mrs are raging we cant be at the game, and even more raging we could miss out the biggest party Leith has ever seen I am going to categorically state now we will WIN the thing, such is my luck :agree:

Bristolhibby
18-04-2016, 03:44 PM
I have just booked my airfare from New Zealand. Not Cheap, and 38 hours travel...with my Hibs shirt on all the way to, and from, Scotland.

My cap, Sir, is doffed.

Is that via LA?

J

Dunedin Hibs
19-04-2016, 07:50 AM
My cap, Sir, is doffed.

Is that via LA?

J

No Sir. 6 hour bus trip to Christchurch. Christchurch to Sydney. Sydney to London, via Singapore. London to Glasgow. Surprising my Hibee dad, just before his 80th birthday...turning up with tickets to the final (have to arrange through Hibs, as obviously I don't have loyalty points being so far away, apart from Hibs TV off course). I would watch it here (New Zealand), but feel history is in the making. We have a great team, great manager, and with a rub of the green....we can smash the 'mighty' bluenose ****ers off their self proclaimed pedestal. Happy to report I will be among the green and white army. I have supported Hibs for 45 years, through thick and thin. Let's get into the thick stuff in May. Can't wait. A wee bonus is The Proclaimers are playing in Christchurch this Saturday, and my wonderful youngest daughter got me tickets for my birthday. Needless to say I will be down the front with my Hibs top on, giving it heaps (NZ term). I ****ing love the mighty HIBERNIAN FC.

Forza Fred
19-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Simply not match fit.

Nothing to do with dosh and retired now,so time off work not an issue, but 24 hour flights, albeit business class and change to normal routine makes me feel uneasy at this point.

There is always next year to see us defend it in the final.

In the meantime maybe a one hour flight somewhere to see it live on the telly.

It will mean just as much to me if I am there or watch it from Oz.....just as long as we win.

Long suffering
19-04-2016, 09:43 AM

That is similar to me mate I am teaching in Beijing for a year and don't know if its worth the risk of us losing and vast amount of money. Very tempted though!

Spudster
19-04-2016, 09:46 AM
You should be fine. The Irish bars in Madrid have Sky, watched games before usually no issue at all.
If its on BBC then I guess everyone will see it, question of how/where.

:aok:
Was thinking Finnegan's on Plaza de las Salesas. Any knowledge of the place?

Craig_in_Prague
19-04-2016, 10:47 AM
:aok:
Was thinking Finnegan's on Plaza de las Salesas. Any knowledge of the place?

Yep been there. Theres two bars very close to each other (if memory doesn't fail me) - Both ok.

crewetollhibee
19-04-2016, 11:07 AM
Booked a family holiday to Ibiza about a year ago without even thinking of the cup.

I looked at flying back but its not really feasible and I cant leave my son with his nanna in spain for 2 days.

So on the basis that me and the mrs are raging we cant be at the game, and even more raging we could miss out the biggest party Leith has ever seen I am going to categorically state now we will WIN the thing, such is my luck :agree: Ibiza too mate, also booked a year ago. Just knew this was gonna happen !!!!

Jamesie
19-04-2016, 11:32 AM
Got burnt big time in 2012 after moving an African safari that spanned the Cup Final date, however for work reasons I often need to take a holiday in May so when booking this year back in January I had one eye on the dates.

Hence I now land into Edinburgh Airport shortly before noon on Cup Final Saturday having been travelling since mid afternoon on the Friday - a good few hours between each leg of the journey which should avoid being caught out by delays, touch wood. A few tins of Red Bull and I'll be all set!

JimBHibees
19-04-2016, 11:48 AM
No Sir. 6 hour bus trip to Christchurch. Christchurch to Sydney. Sydney to London, via Singapore. London to Glasgow. Surprising my Hibee dad, just before his 80th birthday...turning up with tickets to the final (have to arrange through Hibs, as obviously I don't have loyalty points being so far away, apart from Hibs TV off course). I would watch it here (New Zealand), but feel history is in the making. We have a great team, great manager, and with a rub of the green....we can smash the 'mighty' bluenose ****ers off their self proclaimed pedestal. Happy to report I will be among the green and white army. I have supported Hibs for 45 years, through thick and thin. Let's get into the thick stuff in May. Can't wait. A wee bonus is The Proclaimers are playing in Christchurch this Saturday, and my wonderful youngest daughter got me tickets for my birthday. Needless to say I will be down the front with my Hibs top on, giving it heaps (NZ term). I ****ing love the mighty HIBERNIAN FC.

What a great story that is. Thanks for sharing.:flag:

Jamesie
19-04-2016, 11:53 AM

Did you post on the old hibs-list once upon a time mate?

Jamesie
19-04-2016, 11:55 AM
already got flights booked from Bangkok to Paris to meet the family on June 17th though, and would mean missing out on travelling to Laos, Myanmar and Thailand.. heartbreaking but think it's going to be one i have to miss!

Came close to coming back from working in Oz as part of my year out in 2004 for the League Cup Final v Livingston - very glad I chose not to in the end. Then you'll see my disastrous story re the 2012 Final in this thread! Your trip sounds great and if there is anyone in the world that could compare being at Hampden to see us lifting the cup then Myanmar is right up there - make sure you get yourself to Bagan - the temples are amazing!

Dunedin Hibs
19-04-2016, 12:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgS-W2HGT64

GreenLake
19-04-2016, 12:08 PM

Air New Zealand from LA to London is double what I paid last September but it's still comparatively good value.

Dunedin Hibs
19-04-2016, 12:14 PM
This is our year mate...the stars are aligning, the Hibs will build and smash the blue team in front of us. I predicted the Semi final results right, maybe not the penalties, but the winners I got right. And the winners of the Scottish Cup WILL be Hibernian FC, let me rephrase that...."Yes..."

Dunedin Hibs
19-04-2016, 12:17 PM
Air New Zealand from LA to London is double what I paid last September but it's still comparatively good value.
I am travelling British Airways, apart from to and from New Zealand to Australia and return.

Sean1875
20-04-2016, 03:50 AM
Came close to coming back from working in Oz as part of my year out in 2004 for the League Cup Final v Livingston - very glad I chose not to in the end. Then you'll see my disastrous story re the 2012 Final in this thread! Your trip sounds great and if there is anyone in the world that could compare being at Hampden to see us lifting the cup then Myanmar is right up there - make sure you get yourself to Bagan - the temples are amazing!

sounds like you've had a fair few dilemmas as well mate haha absolute nightmare. I've just got this gut feeling that we're actually going to do it this year.. as you say though I'm in a fairly decent place to miss it! cheers for the top on Bagan, I'll definitely check it out!

Sean1875
20-04-2016, 03:51 AM
That is similar to me mate I am teaching in Beijing for a year and don't know if its worth the risk of us losing and vast amount of money. Very tempted though!

I feel for you man, anyone other than a Hibs fan would think we're crazy for considering flying back. just that thought of missing us finally lifting it..

Onion
20-04-2016, 04:19 AM
On holiday but have never missed a SC final since 72. Not any more confident about this one than the previous attempts, but just know if I don't make this one fate dictates we'll probably go and win the bloody thing after 114 years and I'll not be there to witness it. Could watch it all unfold on TV, and would be thrilled for every single, long-suffering Hibby at Hampden, the players the club and every one who could not make it. But I'd be devastated at the same time missing the party to end all parties. So, no option but to figure out how the hell I get to Glasgow on the 21st. The prize is just too compelling.

GreenLake
20-04-2016, 05:02 AM

Luang Prabang was my favorite place in Laos.

Yorkshire HFC
20-04-2016, 05:42 AM
It's my dads 80th birthday - he's having a big lunch on the day, so I won't be going. I'm not too fussed though - will watch it on tv along with him, brother, wife and nephews - and hopefully get to see a celebration parade.

Martymck
20-04-2016, 06:21 AM
my wife is booked in for a operation the day before the final , Typical timing :grr:so I'll be looking after a 2 and 5 year olds , trying to get some sort of peace to watch it on the box , could be worse though.:flag:

Smartie
20-04-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm at a course at Celtic Manor that Thurs - Sat and just managed to get out of the Saturday.

I'm now weighing up whether to fly up from either Cardiff or Bristol first thing (between 7am and 8am) and get the full pre-match experience or get the 13:20 flight from Bristol to Glasgow - it gets in at 14.35. Tight for ko, but if I'm paying £550 per day plus vat to go on the course I want to get as much out of it as possible.