PDA

View Full Version : Diamond and Hampden

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 01:42 PM
I've got a lot more time for Stubbs than most posters have at the moment. However, if we line up in the final against rangers playing the diamond then he should be crucified. Doesn't work well at all on Hampden's wide pitch.

Gray and Lewis would be knackered by half time and Tavernier and Wallace will rip us apart if we give them the amount of space that playing the diamond does.

IMO we shoud play 3-5-2 with gray and lewis pressing their full backs high up the pitch.

Diclonius
17-04-2016, 01:44 PM
3-5-2, play on the counter, kick lumps out of them.

Warburton's team play good football. Let's come at him with something he doesn't expect.

Leith Green
17-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Yip ... 3-5-2 for me too

Northern Hibby
17-04-2016, 01:47 PM
3-5-2 gets my vote

Jdawg
17-04-2016, 01:50 PM
Has to be a 3-5-2 with Bartley the first midfielder selected then McGinn and Henderson/Fyfie.

Also, I don't like McGinn playing on the left of the diamond (or a diamond in general), he is a central midfielder.

1987kev
17-04-2016, 01:52 PM
3/5/2 it gives the full backs better starting positions to get forward

H18S NX
17-04-2016, 01:55 PM
I've got a lot more time for Stubbs than most posters have at the moment. However, if we line up in the final against rangers playing the diamond then he should be crucified. Doesn't work well at all on Hampden's wide pitch.

Gray and Lewis would be knackered by half time and Tavernier and Wallace will rip us apart if we give them the amount of space that playing the diamond does.

IMO we shoud play 3-5-2 with gray and lewis pressing their full backs high up the pitch....that is what i was thinking.

Zazu62
17-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Has to play 3-5-2

hibbysam
17-04-2016, 01:56 PM
I couldn't give a flying one what formation we play as long as we win the trophy! So if he plays the diamond and wins folk will crucify him? Jeez

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-04-2016, 02:02 PM
I couldn't give a flying one what formation we play as long as we win the trophy! So if he plays the diamond and wins folk will crucify him? Jeez

To be fair though that's not what the OP says and the bit about winning and getting "crucified " for the formation has come from your own imagination.

hfc rd
17-04-2016, 02:06 PM
3-5-2 as well for me.

Pete
17-04-2016, 02:08 PM

:agree:

I'll contact Stubbs nearer the time when I've decided what formation is best for him to play.

sleeping giant
17-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Formations :greengrin

Football manager and FIFA have a lot to answer for.

Sioux
17-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Celtic didnae play a diamond and got absolutely horsed in midfield. How come?

PISTOL1875
17-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Celtic didnae play a diamond and got absolutely horsed in midfield. How come?

Beacsue they were far too slow and at least 2 yards off the pace..

Pete
17-04-2016, 02:20 PM

Ach well, I was going to tell you about the tip of my diamond too.

sleeping giant
17-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Ach well, I was going to tell you about the tip of my diamond too.

Bring back the 442 . It's hard to get wrong :greengrin

Sioux
17-04-2016, 02:26 PM

Exactly. It had nowt to do with a diamond or any other shape.

hibbysam
17-04-2016, 02:31 PM
To be fair though that's not what the OP says and the bit about winning and getting "crucified " for the formation has come from your own imagination.

'If we line up in the final playing the diamond, he should be crucified'

That's his exact words, not 'if we lose playing the diamond' which would be far more plausible!

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 02:40 PM
'If we line up in the final playing the diamond, he should be crucified'

That's his exact words, not 'if we lose playing the diamond' which would be far more plausible!

well I'll obviously give him the 90 minutes to change my mind :greengrin

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 02:42 PM

You don't need to play computer games to see a glaring tactical deficiency.

Particularly one that Stubbs seems very set on sticking with.

Winston Ingram
17-04-2016, 03:14 PM

IMO we shoud play 3-5-2 with gray and lewis pressing their full backs high up the pitch.

He should've binned the diamond at the end of last season at the very latest

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2016, 03:17 PM
He should've binned the diamond at the end of last season at the very latest

It was working wonders in September, October, November, December, and January so not sure why you'd say that?

Since Fyvie and McGeough have been injured it's not been as effective but hopefully they'll both be back to full fitness soon.

Glory Lurker
17-04-2016, 03:19 PM
It was working wonders in September, October, November, December, and January so not sure why you'd say that?

Since Fyvie and McGeough have been injured it's not been as effective but hopefully they'll both be back to full fitness soon.

How far away is Dylan from coming back?

Leith Green
17-04-2016, 03:27 PM

What worked for us then doesnt mean we need to play that way forever and Stubbs needs to realise that.

Teams have got us sussed out i reckon and thats why its gone pete tong, teams know that we are easily countered,Changing it to 3-5-2 definitely suits our personnel, and gives our wing backs more freedom to attack and less chance of being countered down the flanks.

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2016, 03:37 PM
What worked for us then doesnt mean we need to play that way forever and Stubbs needs to realise that.

Teams have got us sussed out i reckon and thats why its gone pete tong, teams know that we are easily countered,Changing it to 3-5-2 definitely suits our personnel, and gives our wing backs more freedom to attack and less chance of being countered down the flanks.

I'm not saying we need to persist just disagreeing it should've been binned last season when it's clearly worked for the majority of this season.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2016, 03:38 PM
Will probably be 3-5-2, that is what we played when we beat them at ER.

Leith Green
17-04-2016, 03:48 PM
I'm not saying we need to persist just disagreeing it should've been binned last season when it's clearly worked for the majority of this season.

I agree with what you say, It did serve us well for a good chunk of the season. But its needing changed especially as we have the huns in the final. I also think he needs to suss out who and how he plays his front two as it just doesnt work. Love him or hate him Malonga provided an ideal foil for cummings to play from 12 yards out. Its clear as day that he needs to suss out how to fix that conundrum out. If he changes it then it could make him the most succesful manager in 60 plus years.

Eyrie
17-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Working wonders? It got the job done, but if it had worked wonders then we wouldn't have an inferior goal difference to Falkirk and it would still be effective now instead of being a hindrance.

And to think I posted "Stubbs out, Danderhall Hibs in" :no way:

Leith Green
17-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Working wonders? It got the job done, but if it had worked wonders then we wouldn't have an inferior goal difference to Falkirk and it would still be effective now instead of being a hindrance.

And to think I posted "Stubbs out, Danderhall Hibs in" :no way:

To be fair we were 20 odd games unbeaten before the huns beat us at xmas.. Got to give stubbs the credit for that whilst realising that he needs to change things to reverse our recent slump. Goal difference should never have even mattered

Danderhall Hibs
17-04-2016, 03:53 PM
I agree with what you say, It did serve us well for a good chunk of the season. But its needing changed especially as we have the huns in the final. I also think he needs to suss out who and how he plays his front two as it just doesnt work. Love him or hate him Malonga provided an ideal foil for cummings to play from 12 yards out. Its clear as day that he needs to suss out how to fix that conundrum out. If he changes it then it could make him the most succesful manager in 60 plus years.

I know what you're saying - a wee change could work wonders. Just wanted to point out that we were unbeaten for a long time..

Although I do agree with Eyrie that we didn't score enough goals - I was complaining about that on here.

Tyler Durden
17-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Will probably be 3-5-2, that is what we played when we beat them at ER.

No - we played the diamond that day. Rangers started with a 3-5-2 and changed mid game.

People need to get over this obsession with formations. Our recent problems are about players making bad decisions, errors, trying to score the perfect goal. With the players we have the diamond suits us well. Less so when we're missing Fyvie or Bartley

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2016, 07:17 PM
No - we played the diamond that day. Rangers started with a 3-5-2 and changed mid game.

People need to get over this obsession with formations. Our recent problems are about players making bad decisions, errors, trying to score the perfect goal. With the players we have the diamond suits us well. Less so when we're missing Fyvie or BartleyRight enough.

Formations do make a big difference though, pretty obvious by just watching football IMO but yes, we have players that suit the diamond and have won a lot of games using it.

crash
17-04-2016, 07:20 PM
The diamond system is a joke,definitely unworkable, a bog standard 4-4-2 should deal with it easily.

Paisley Hibby
17-04-2016, 07:26 PM

That could be us you're describing. If we play 3-5-2 with a view to hitting them on the break, who apart from Boyle do we have that could make that work? And Boyle was marked out of the game yesterday so seems to be easily negated. Will be interesting to see What Stubbs (and Bread Man) do in Wednesday's rehearsal.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2016, 07:29 PM
The diamond system is a joke,definitely unworkable, a bog standard 4-4-2 should deal with it easily.No because there is no one in a standard 4-4-2 than deals with either end of the diamond. Base gets to play the ball for free out of the back and tip is always behind the centre mids. Wide players are covered by either side of the diamond and if the centre mids step up or deep to cover then it isn't a standard 4-4-2.

We have won plenty of games against 4-4-2s this season with the diamond, Hearts and St Johnstone being the most obvious examples.

Liam89
17-04-2016, 07:29 PM
3-5-2

Logan

Hanlon
Fonts
Mcgregor

Stevenson
Mcginn
Bartley
Henderson
Gray

Stokes
Cummings

Think that's our best team IMO.

BroxburnHibee
17-04-2016, 08:42 PM
3-5-2

Logan

Hanlon
Fonts
Mcgregor

Stevenson
Mcginn
Bartley
Henderson
Gray

Stokes
Cummings

Think that's our best team IMO.

:agree:

whereswallace?
17-04-2016, 09:22 PM
I'm pretty sure Hampden is only 1 yard wider than the Easter Road pitch. This Hampden big massive pitch thing is somewhat of a myth.

Big L
17-04-2016, 10:00 PM
I noticed Celtic went with a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 I would like to see us play that system with Bartley and McGinn in front of the back 4. Every time we play sevco we play an open expansive game and we generally get humped, this time I would like to see us a wee bit tighter. McGeough Fyvie and Henderson the 3 and JC or Stokes up front.

inglisavhibs
17-04-2016, 10:01 PM

So who would play against Mackay in your formation if Gray is to pay against Wallace? You can't have one of the 3 centre backs playing wide.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2016, 10:02 PM
I noticed Celtic went with a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 I would like to see us play that system with Bartley and McGinn in front of the back 4. Every time we play sevco we play an open expansive game and we generally get humped, this time I would like to see us a wee bit tighter. McGeough Fyvie and Henderson the 3 and JC or Stokes up front.Eh, no we don't. We have sat back and countered in all 3 league games. 1-0 with a joke FK decision and 4-2 with a late goal on the counter certainly isn't humped either.

Big L
17-04-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm just saying I would like to see us a bit tighter! 4-2 is a humping in my book and so is losing 6 to them.

Jones28
17-04-2016, 10:06 PM
I'd like to see either 3-5-2 or 4-5-1.

MWHIBBIES
17-04-2016, 10:08 PM
I'm just saying I would like to see us a bit tighter! 4-2 is a humping in my book and so is losing 6 to them.Take 11 players out of their team and we'd put 6 past them, probably more. 4-2 is a humping if you are 4-0 down, not 1-0 up and then 3-2 down in the 94th minute.

You are right in saying we need to be hard to beat against them, we cant go shot for shot and expect to win.

Unseen work
18-04-2016, 12:34 AM
When was the last time we used 352 from the start? Stubbs seems to of patched it lately.

JimBHibees
18-04-2016, 06:52 AM
I noticed Celtic went with a 4 - 2 - 3 - 1 I would like to see us play that system with Bartley and McGinn in front of the back 4. Every time we play sevco we play an open expansive game and we generally get humped, this time I would like to see us a wee bit tighter. McGeough Fyvie and Henderson the 3 and JC or Stokes up front.

Bartley and Fyvie surely.

Craig_in_Prague
18-04-2016, 07:43 AM
We must defend better, we won't always get away with those 1:1s, sure 1 was offside but they could've scored 3 or more from getting in behind.

I know we have to do more in the final 3rd as well, but solid defending is pivotal to have any chance in the final and play offs. We're not gonna score 2, 3 + to win games.