PDA

View Full Version : Where would we finish in SPL?

Holmesdale Hibs
17-04-2016, 01:30 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Watching how even the semi's are and the way we've played in the cup competitions, I think we'd be a decent mid table side and we have a better team at the moment than we did for the last few years in the SPL

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 01:44 PM
4th easily.

The way Stubbs has us playing would be far more effective in the SPL than against teams who defend narrow with 11 men behind the ball

DH1875
17-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Reckon we'd be better than mid table.

neil7908
17-04-2016, 01:47 PM
Yes we won yesterday but if that was a league game we would have drawn with the worst team in the league and been lucky not to lose over 90 mins. Before we started on this iffy run I would have said easily challenging for a European spot. Now I'm just not sure

Itsnoteasy
17-04-2016, 01:50 PM
What's everyone's thoughts on this? Watching how even the semi's are and the way we've played in the cup competitions, I think we'd be a decent mid table side and we have a better team at the moment than we did for the last few years in the SPL

Let's worry about where we are the now

heretoday
17-04-2016, 01:50 PM
About fourth bottom.

Steve20
17-04-2016, 01:56 PM
Anywhere between 5th and 11th. All pretty similar in the SPL.

Ringothedog
17-04-2016, 01:57 PM
This "iffy" run we are on is 3 wins, 2 draws and a defeat in our last 6 games, 4 of those games were away from Easter Road. We are not playing well but we are slowly turning the corner.

NORTHERNHIBBY
17-04-2016, 01:59 PM
9th or 10th I would say.

Lancs Harp
17-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Think the present team would do ok in the SPL. Teams would give us more space to play in. I think we'd finish sort of 6th/7th

Thecat23
17-04-2016, 02:01 PM
3rd.

Galahibby
17-04-2016, 02:03 PM
2nd. Or 3rd. Or 12th. Gave up making predictions involving Hibs years ago.

hfc rd
5th

bigwheel
Think some are getting carried away...we don't score enough goals to be particularly high in the top league. My guess is 6th of 7th with current squad ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

California-Hibs
17-04-2016, 02:16 PM
4th.

Keith_M
17-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Bottom half but safe from relegation.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2016, 02:18 PM
4th easily.

The way Stubbs has us playing would be far more effective in the SPL than against teams who defend narrow with 11 men behind the ball

Laughable to suggest 4th easily it really is,do you watch Hibs?

sleeping giant
17-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Really hard to say.

Going by our form against SPL teams this season I would say 2nd/3rd but more than likely 7th :greengrin

Toldo123
17-04-2016, 02:22 PM
Is not relevant.

One of the reasons I believe that we have underperformed in the league this season, is the players thinking they are better than they actually are.

I have heard stubbs say on several occasions "we are a premier league team in the championship". In my mind he should be saying exactly the opposite. We are only a premier league team once we have reached the premier league and not before, and it is up to the players to show that they are a premier league team by being good enough to get promoted.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 02:25 PM
Earlier in the season, we would have been easily in the top half but over the last couple of months, we would struggle to stay above the play off position.

We don't score enough goals.

Keith_M
17-04-2016, 02:25 PM
This "iffy" run we are on is 3 wins, 2 draws and a defeat in our last 6 games, 4 of those games were away from Easter Road. We are not playing well but we are slowly turning the corner.

It's all about perspective.

For instance, if you think our current form includes only the last three games then, after 90 minutes, we've drawn two, and lost one. Scored two and conceded three, with the opposition being a team challenging with us to get promoted, a team already relegated to League One and a team as good as relegated to the Championship.

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 02:45 PM
Laughable to suggest 4th easily it really is,do you watch Hibs?

we've played the teams that are second and third and twice played the team that was 4th at the time.

We were the better team in every game, except maybe Aberdeen which was quite tight.

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 02:47 PM
Earlier in the season, we would have been easily in the top half but over the last couple of months, we would struggle to stay above the play off position.

We don't score enough goals.

We would score far more goals against teams that give us a bit of space, rather than the 11 men behind the ball we play against every week in this league.

have a word if you think that Killie, Partick, Hamilton, Motherwell etc have better players and a better manager than we do.

Forza Fred
17-04-2016, 03:21 PM
Is not relevant.

One of the reasons I believe that we have underperformed in the league this season, is the players thinking they are better than they actually are.

I have heard stubbs say on several occasions "we are a premier league team in the championship". In my mind he should be saying exactly the opposite. We are only a premier league team once we have reached the premier league and not before, and it is up to the players to show that they are a premier league team by being good enough to get promoted.

The league table does not lie.

We are currently third in the lower division, so one can only assume we would be near the very bottom of the Premier League...and judging by yesterday's performance against Dundee United, the current relegation favourites, that would be about right.

When we deserve to be in the premier League, then I'll worry about where we finish there.

LeithMike
17-04-2016, 03:30 PM
I think we would have started well but as teams sussed the way we play and the lack of goals from midfield the points would have dried up and we would have slid down the table. How far I am not so sure but it might not have been unlike our last season in the SPL. I'd be worried how the current team would do in the SPL without a radically different tactical approach.

In saying that, I think, with the addition of a couple of wide midfielders and a flat 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 we have the nucleus of a squad that is more than capable of challenging at the top of the SPL. It would need a different approach from the management though.

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2016, 03:30 PM
2nd. Or 3rd. Or 12th. Gave up making predictions involving Hibs years ago.

This. I have no idea :greengrin

ArmadaleHibs
17-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Seriously. Two weeks ago we got beat by Alloa. Why do we have these threads after a win. Let's just try and get out the league were in before talking about how we would do in the top flight.

Phil MaGlass
17-04-2016, 03:37 PM
As someone above said i would say 4th easily. Our team have difficulty breaking down 11 men behind the ball. Premier league teams play more attacking and thats how we are set up

Franck Stanton
17-04-2016, 04:00 PM
Seriously. Two weeks ago we got beat by Alloa. Why do we have these threads after a win. Let's just try and get out the league were in before talking about how we would do in the top flight.

This. 'Nuff said.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 04:06 PM
We would score far more goals against teams that give us a bit of space, rather than the 11 men behind the ball we play against every week in this league.

have a word if you think that Killie, Partick, Hamilton, Motherwell etc have better players and a better manager than we do.

Eight days ago we lost to a part-time side who will be playing in the third tier of Scottish football next season.

I don't need to have a word.

TheHarpy76
17-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Let's be honest here, we've had two great cup runs but our league form has been far from great. Even during our unbeaten run we were scraping through a lot of games.

Beefster
17-04-2016, 04:22 PM
Folk are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think a team struggling to finish second in the Scottish Championship would finish 3rd or 4th in the Premiership.

Thecat23
17-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Folk are living in cloud cuckoo land if they think a team struggling to finish second in the Scottish Championship would finish 3rd or 4th in the Premiership.

Totally different leagues though. We have proved we can win against any top flight team but sadly can't break down teams who just sit in. I don't think anyone can honestly say where we would be but I don't think we'd struggle in that league.

But I may be living in this cloud cuckoo land you speak of.

Pete
17-04-2016, 04:29 PM

Maybe Falkirk would finish third or fourth. :dunno:

Bit of an unanswerable question to be honest.

chrisski33
17-04-2016, 04:32 PM

yup my thoughts exactly! we cant even beat a part time team like alloa and we had to beat an spl team thats struggling to stay up by penalties. think our current LEAGUE form shows we would struggle.

Thecat23
17-04-2016, 04:36 PM
yup my thoughts exactly! we cant even beat a part time team like alloa and we had to beat an spl team thats struggling to stay up by penalties. think our current LEAGUE form shows we would struggle.

But we can beat Hearts, Dundee Utd twice, Aberdeen who were top, ICT, St Johnstone. We showed we are more adapt to be a good top flight side yet not the best Championship side! Yes the championship is what we must take care of but I see no reason why we can't mix it with the rest. Hearts could get second FFS, who'd have thought that?

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 04:41 PM

I reckon Raith Rovers and Alloa is two defeats in the last six though.

Sir David Gray
17-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Totally different leagues though. We have proved we can win against any top flight team but sadly can't break down teams who just sit in. I don't think anyone can honestly say where we would be but I don't think we'd struggle in that league.

But I may be living in this cloud cuckoo land you speak of.

When we were beating these top flight sides, we were playing a lot better than we are at the moment.

I don't think we would beat Aberdeen, Hearts or St Johnstone right now.

Greenworld
17-04-2016, 05:06 PM
Bottom as we are toiling to get out of the division below the truth hurts

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Thecat23
17-04-2016, 05:15 PM
When we were beating these top flight sides, we were playing a lot better than we are at the moment.

I don't think we would beat Aberdeen, Hearts or St Johnstone right now.

Many didn't think we could even back then on here. I still think we'd beat them! You don't just become crap, and over the course of a season Hibs would more than handle the top flight. In fact they would thrive in it.

Thecat23
17-04-2016, 05:15 PM

Oh dear god!

Smartie
17-04-2016, 05:21 PM

:agree:

We failed to score in 2 hours against far and away the worst team in the Premier League.

Our cup results have been good this season but we've needed a few replays and a penalty shoot out to get through some of the games.

Better teams would have punished our defensive mistakes yesterday and we don't score nearly enough goals to go shouting from the rooftops about how we'd finish third or fourth in the Premier League.

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 05:22 PM

What world is that you're in my green pal?
The current top three in the Championship would be comfortable in the Premier. And the Premier knows it. A good number of them have now been skelped upside down.

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 05:26 PM

We failed to score in 2 hours against far and away the worst team in the Premier League.

Our cup results have been good this season but we've needed a few replays and a penalty shoot out to get through some of the games.

Better teams would have punished our defensive mistakes yesterday and we don't score nearly enough goals to go shouting from the rooftops about how we'd finish third or fourth in the Premier League.

Hardly shouting from the rooftops and I don't think that's the OPs point, but we've disposed of United twice. And a draw is a point in league football. Imagine needing a replay. Noisy wee upstarts that we are. Better teams have punished our mistakes, but they're in our league too.

zolliehibs
17-04-2016, 05:30 PM
I'm sick of the idea that we'd do fine in the Premiership because we'd have more space and not play teams who sit back and counter.

Who's to say that the managers of Partick, Hamilton, Kilmarnock etc. wouldn't just play like that since they've seen it work for Falkirk, Alloa, Raith etc.? They're not going to come to Easter Road and stick 2 up front with 2 advanced wingers and take the game to us just because they're top flight teams - they'll play in the manner most likely to get a win, and we've shown them super-obviously this year that sitting with 10 men behind the ball is how to do that.

Like many above have said let's get promoted first and then predict how we WILL play, not how we WOULD play. :agree:

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 05:33 PM
I'm sick of the idea that we'd do fine in the Premiership because we'd have more space and not play teams who sit back and counter.

Who's to say that the managers of Partick, Hamilton, Kilmarnock etc. wouldn't just play like that since they've seen it work for Falkirk, Alloa, Raith etc.? They're not going to come to Easter Road and stick 2 up front with 2 advanced wingers and take the game to us just because they're top flight teams - they'll play in the manner most likely to get a win, and we've shown them super-obviously this year that sitting with 10 men behind the ball is how to do that.

Like many above have said let's get promoted first and then predict how we WILL play, not how we WOULD play. :agree:

By etc.....Should the managers of Aberdeen, Dundee United, Hertz, St Johnstone and Inverness Caley not have considered this ground breaking theory? Might've made all their clubs a decent (and much needed) wee earner.

Waxy
17-04-2016, 05:41 PM
After this years cup results they might promote Celtic to the Championship.

Andy74
17-04-2016, 05:52 PM
Once we stop losing to the likes of Alloa and Dumbarton we can maybe think about this.

The idea that we are a top league team trapped in this division isn't helpful. We need to set up to get out the league first.

LeithMike
17-04-2016, 05:52 PM
I don't think you can project our league position on the basis of cup runs. We did well in the cups before getting relegated but our league form never quite matched that produced in the cup even then. I am not convinced it would be any different now. With Oxley in goal at the weekend we were looking at a 2 or 3 goal loss to the bottom team (albeit one which has improved on previous form).

Our manager has still to prove he can turn around our fortunes or adapt our style to counteract different teams. I have to say, despite the euphoria of getting to the Cup Final, I thought Saturday was one of our poorest performances of the season.

Since90+2
17-04-2016, 05:57 PM
Probably about 4th or 5th. But if we we win the Scottish nobody will care what league we are in for about a week :greengrin

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Well we have beaten most of the so called SPFL teams this season so 3rd or 4th would be a good first season back up.

ancient hibee
17-04-2016, 06:23 PM
On Saturday we made few chances and their goalie made one save.Our goalie made three excellent ones.I know that's what goalies are for but Saturday's performance-other than determination- was nowhere near the other performances against Premier sides.If we step up-which I expect us to do- we will need to bring in a target man type player,pace out wide and train the defence not to have 15 minute naps in the middle of games.

crash
17-04-2016, 06:34 PM
As someone above said i would say 4th easily. Our team have difficulty breaking down 11 men behind the ball. Premier league teams play more attacking and thats how we are set up

So what went wrong yesterday,we hardly troubled the goal in 120 minutes?

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 06:36 PM

I'm basing that on our performances across the entire season, not yesterdays.

Do any of you honestly think Hearts looked streets ahead of us?

We more than matched Aberdeen who were top of the table at the time and that game was by no means our best performance this season.

Fergus52
17-04-2016, 06:38 PM
So what went wrong yesterday,we hardly troubled the goal in 120 minutes?

First half we were all over them.

After half time the entire midfield looked like it was running on empty. Stubbs needs to change things up more.

Scouse Hibee
17-04-2016, 09:37 PM
we've played the teams that are second and third and twice played the team that was 4th at the time.

We were the better team in every game, except maybe Aberdeen which was quite tight.

And we played Alloa, Dumbarton, Raith, Morton, remember those games?

Ringothedog
17-04-2016, 10:09 PM
I reckon Raith Rovers and Alloa is two defeats in the last six though.

Forgot about Raith Rovers...whoops