PDA

View Full Version : Tiredness

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Looking around the pitch yesterday as the game wore on it was obvious how we were running out of steam while Utd werent. Reaching both cup finals is a great achievement but because of it we will have played a historically high number of games this season, with a young squad playing in poor lower league pitches through a wetter than normal Scottish winter.

We still have 5 league games to play over the next month, all vital. One Scottish Cup Final in May. And as things stand, 6 playoff ties to overcome if we want to get promoted. It's a bit frightening that we have potentially 12 more games to go before the end.

The only way I can see us doing it is resting key players NOW. Fontaine in, Gunnarson in, Thomson in, Dagnall/Keatings in, Boyle definitely in to the mix over the next few weeks. No one likes dropping key players but Stubbs can't ignore the evidence of his own eyes. Too many knackered legs yesterday.

Thoughts?

Sammy7nil
17-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Looking around the pitch yesterday as the game wore on it was obvious how we were running out of steam while Utd werent. Reaching both cup finals is a great achievement but because of it we will have played a historically high number of games this season, with a young squad playing in poor lower league pitches through a wetter than normal Scottish winter.

We still have 5 league games to play over the next month, all vital. One Scottish Cup Final in May. And as things stand, 6 playoff ties to overcome if we want to get promoted. It's a bit frightening that we have potentially 12 more games to go before the end.

The only way I can see us doing it is resting key players NOW. Fontaine in, Gunnarson in, Thomson in, Dagnall/Keatings in, Boyle definitely in to the mix over the next few weeks. No one likes dropping key players but Stubbs can't ignore the evidence of his own eyes. Too many knackered legs yesterday.

Thoughts?

I agree we are dead on our feet a better team would have taken advantage yesterday. Some players need rested now. I thought we only had 4 league games but even so 11 games in just over a month is a HUGE ask.

Nicho87
17-04-2016, 08:22 AM
What does stubbs do. Give up the ghost on second? Play a rotated 11 to give first team players like mcginn and cummings a much needed breather so they can be 100% for play offs. Over to you stubbs

17-04-2016, 08:26 AM
Many of them looked knackered after around 60 minutes. Fyvie in particular looked dead on his feet and it reflected in many of his passes.

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2016, 08:26 AM
The players were walking through treacle from the second half on. If players are to be rested, now is the time, ahead of the cup final and the play offs. It's a delicate balance which requires game time management: we don't want the top players losing match sharpness. The play offs are guaranteed, so it might be an idea to rest the key players in the remaining league games, using them intermittently, in order to maintain peak fitness. What we don't want is the team running on empty going into the cup final and play offs.

Sammy7nil
17-04-2016, 08:31 AM
Training needs to be very lightweight just working on formations and set plays, 11games will ensure fitness LOL. I am sure Stubbs andDoolan have this bit covered.

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 08:40 AM
What does stubbs do. Give up the ghost on second? Play a rotated 11 to give first team players like mcginn and cummings a much needed breather so they can be 100% for play offs. Over to you stubbs

11 games, not 12, sorry. Still a massive ask. It's not 'giving up on second' but managing probability. If we lose, Stubbs will get criticised by some whatever he does but I'd make wholesale changes for the The Rangers game; Fontaine for Hanlon, Dagnall for Cummings, Thomson for Fyvie, Gunnarsson for Gray, Boyle for McGinn and maybe Handling for Henderson.

Forza Fred
17-04-2016, 08:44 AM
Looking at it unemotionally, it perhaps suggests that we still have a wee it to go in the 'professional stakes'

At season start, the possibility of longish cup runs together with us being involved in the play offs, was not really too hard to predict as a possibility.

Yet we let players go on loan, and left us a bit vulnerable should injuries/ suspensions strike, or reoccur with some players where there was a distinct possibility of that happening.

Easy to be wise after the event I know, but not that hard to factor into the planning either.

Maybe a lesson learned for next season.

Pretty Boy
17-04-2016, 08:46 AM
We have been repeatedly told how good our squad is so time to prove it.

We have 3 options in goals to choose from

2 at right back

4 at centre back when Fontaine is fit

Only 1 at LB although Gunnarson can play there

Hopefully McGeough can get himself fit and we can also get Handling some game time to allow us to protect Fyvie, Henderson and McGinn. Boyle will have a big role to play as well.

We have 3 or 4 options up front as well.

There's options there to rest and rotate. Up to Stubbs to get the balance right and make it work.

greenlex
17-04-2016, 09:00 AM

Thoughts?
There for all to see. It has to happen as soon as second place is either lost or won. Whether we are home or away in the play offs first is neither here nor there IMO but two games less is crucial I think.

GreenCastle
17-04-2016, 09:04 AM
That was the most tired I've seen us all season.

Several running on empty.

This is where the depth of the squad needs to be used - would be good for Dagnall to get a goal soon to boost his confidence.

I started a thread on the loan players - would happily take any of them back to boost numbers as Farid and Handling aren't ready to play.

hibsbollah
17-04-2016, 09:05 AM

This is where the depth of the squad needs to be used - would be good for Dagnall to get a goal soon to boost his confidence.

I started a thread on the loan players - would happily take any of them back to boost numbers as Farid and Handling aren't ready to play.

What's the problem with Handling?

Forza Fred
17-04-2016, 09:07 AM

If Handling isn't ready to play why do we keep naming him on the bench?

GreenCastle
17-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Not much fit yet - watched him in 20s and great to have him back but not ready yet. Would be good to get him more game time though.

Phil MaGlass
17-04-2016, 09:23 AM
Our loan players could be recalled if the clubs have nothing of importance to play for

adhibs
17-04-2016, 09:26 AM
Id give up on second now and make major changes. Would fancy our chances over 7 important games with a fresh squad rather than a knackerd one playing 5

JJP
17-04-2016, 09:29 AM
Does our formation require too much running from the players and is this why we are appearing to tire when other teams don't?

overdrive
17-04-2016, 09:31 AM
Our loan players could be recalled if the clubs have nothing of importance to play for

Pretty sure you can't do that due to the transfer window rules.

JimBHibees
17-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Pretty sure you can't do that due to the transfer window rules.

Pretty sure you are right though maybe can play if the season is ended with their loan club.

inglisavhibs
17-04-2016, 10:32 AM

2nd half against Hearts at Easter Road was similar. No easy answer to this i'm afraid.

inglisavhibs
17-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Does our formation require too much running from the players and is this why we are appearing to tire when other teams don't?
Other teams have not played the number of midweek games we have. Our formation asks too much of our full backs, otherwise no.