PDA

View Full Version : Fatigue and Squad Rotation

Fergus52
16-04-2016, 09:51 PM
During the first half of the game today I thought we played excellent and everyone looked really sharp.

After half time though just about everyone on the pitch for us, particularly in midfield looked completely knackered. Stubbs can't keep using the same players twice a week as they will easily burn out, as shown with Henderson and McGinn.

If we don't come second theres no way we'll make it through the playoffs playing the same XI in every game without some rotation.

Would be great to get Cairmichael and McGeoch consistently fit as I don't have too much confidence in Thomson, but Fyvie McGinn and Henderson look really tired just now. Anyone know if we're able to recall Stanton or Martin?

davidw
16-04-2016, 10:05 PM
During the first half of the game today I thought we played excellent and everyone looked really sharp.

After half time though just about everyone on the pitch for us, particularly in midfield looked completely knackered. Stubbs can't keep using the same players twice a week as they will easily burn out, as shown with Henderson and McGinn.

If we don't come second theres no way we'll make it through the playoffs playing the same XI in every game without some rotation.

Would be great to get Cairmichael and McGeoch consistently fit as I don't have too much confidence in Thomson, but Fyvie McGinn and Henderson look really tired just now. Anyone know if we're able to recall Stanton or Martin?

I couldn't go today (justifiable reasons- don't shout at me) but on the telly, Pat Nevin was saying he thinks the recent collapse is all about tiredness in later part of games - and that if it's going to be a happy end of season, we need to sort that out (however that can be done), Presumably that involves exactly what you are talking about i.e. sensible rotation.

ps but surely no reason for Fyvie to be tired....

Penicuik Hibee
16-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Bit unfair on Ffyvie. He was out for a long time and it is going to take games for him to get back to full fitness. He definitely did tire today as did all the team but hopefully today will have helped him.

J-C
16-04-2016, 10:13 PM

We knew McGeouch was injury prone when he signed, as is Fyvie and Carmichael, we should've got cover in the january window instead we let Stanton go on loan and allowed Martin to stay on loan. McGinn and Henderson have ran their legs into the ground and are struggling to get past 60 mins these days, poor squad management by Stubbs.

mjhibby
17-04-2016, 03:18 AM
What about putting Hanlon in midfield or putting Three at the back. If it is tiredness we need to take our chances early on then hold on in the last 20mins or so. It's been so obvious that the team has tired after 70 MINS. Ideally we need mcgeoch fit and start using Dagnall and Keatings. It's going to be tough to get second now so we must be prepared to rest the likes of gray mcgregor mcginn henderson and Cummings. How we recover from each game is vital to this being a successful season.