PDA

View Full Version : Aston Villa

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2016, 08:32 PM
I feel for them just now. Big club, terrific stadium, large support, prestigious history, but it's bad times for them. They'll need to sort themselves out during the summer, for the Championship is a very competitive league that is hard to escape from. If they aren't well prepared when it starts, they might find themselves struggling again: there are a lot of big clubs in that division who could potentially hurt them.

chrisski33
16-04-2016, 08:49 PM
Hahahahaha im glad theyve been relegated!

Pretty Boy
16-04-2016, 08:51 PM
**** them.

Took more delight than anyone other than Sunderland when Newcastle were relegated. No sympathy whatsoever.

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2016, 08:54 PM
Bit of anti-Villa sentiment here :greengrin

What did they ever do to us?

SJM
16-04-2016, 08:56 PM

They play in maroon.

But did give us £2m for dlc.

Hibernia&Alba
16-04-2016, 08:58 PM
They play in maroon.

But did give us £2m for dlc.

Claret - different.

I have nothing against Villa. They're one of the great names in English football.

ekhibee
16-04-2016, 09:08 PM
**** them.

Took more delight than anyone other than Sunderland when Newcastle were relegated. No sympathy whatsoever.
They have a strong association with Scotland. Their emblem, the lion rampant, was chosen by one of their directors, William McGregor, a Scotsman who founded the English League. One of the first household names in English football was Archie Hunter, a Scotsman and captain of Aston Villa when they first won the FA cup in 1887. They have always had a Scotsman either in the team or in the backroom staff. So even though they are a poor team just now, I take no delight in it at all.

Hibby Bairn
16-04-2016, 09:09 PM
Cropley and Bremner historical relationship.

And I was there in Euro 96 for the Switzerland game. Braw stadium.

Hibs Class
16-04-2016, 09:20 PM
It's a shame to see Villa go down, but it's been coming for a while. Will be interesting to see if they bounce straight back or go from bad to worse.

Scott Allan Key
16-04-2016, 09:54 PM
David Cameron's team. Delighted at news.

marleyhib
16-04-2016, 10:08 PM
They must have got bought by the wrong billionaire

Northernhibee
16-04-2016, 10:11 PM
I genuinely think they'll be relegated next season too. Happened to other teams and they're in a right state.

Hermit Crab
16-04-2016, 10:12 PM
I feel for them just now. Big club, terrific stadium, large support, prestigious history, but it's bad times for them. They'll need to sort themselves out during the summer, for the Championship is a very competitive league that is hard to escape from. If they aren't well prepared when it starts, they might find themselves struggling again: there are a lot of big clubs in that division who could potentially hurt them.

They've been pish all season and deserve to go down. Badly run club with players who don't care. Like us a few years ago under butcher.

HUTCHYHIBBY
16-04-2016, 11:55 PM
What difference does a teams history make compared to others? Didnae do us much good. Villa are a basket case of a club. Quite enjoyed myself at the Scotland v Switzerland game at Euro 96 there tho.

NORTHERNHIBBY
16-04-2016, 11:57 PM
David Cameron's team. Delighted at news.

Sure that's no West Ham?

O'Rourke3
17-04-2016, 12:10 AM

Gave us Joe Ward in part return for Des Bremner.

DH1875
17-04-2016, 12:14 AM
Ive been following football for 30+ years and grow up down south and have never considered Aston Villa to be a big club.

linxall
17-04-2016, 12:22 AM

Villa are my favorites in England. A number of my buddies support them and I've been to Villa Park many times. There are some great pubs in Aston and the banter is truly fantastic. Doug Ellis needed an exit and Randy Lerner didn't see the TV money coming to the EPL so despite trying a few managers his ownership style has failed.

Consider Middlesbrough's extended plight; my buddies know they don't deserve any sympathy.

BTW, I'd celebrate for a month if Newcastle are relegated too.

EdinMike
17-04-2016, 02:18 AM
Sure that's no West Ham?

I know its Prince Williams team, even so that's good enough for me to say "Cheery Bye" And down another league while you're at it..

linxall
17-04-2016, 03:55 AM

I'd add a couple of points about Villa.

Their roots in the community are not dissimilar to Hibs'.

The main stand at Ibrox was a crib of Villa's.

Pete
17-04-2016, 05:00 AM
Ive been following football for 30+ years and grow up down south and have never considered Aston Villa to be a big club.

They've done absolutely nothing for 30 plus years. That's why.

The OP talks about them being a big club with a great history but they haven't been a big club for years and history is just that.

They've been asking for it for years so it should come as no surprise to anyone and I'm not sure why they deserve any recognition or sympathy.

Down the pan until you can get your act together. :bye:

Hibernia&Alba
17-04-2016, 07:35 AM
I consider Villa a big club; Wolves, too. They are amongst the great historical names in the English game. I just looked on Wiki, and Villa have seven English league titles, seven FA Cups, five League Cups and, of course, have been European champions. Twenty major trophies in addition to a stadium that holds over 40,000 must qualify as a big club.

Point taken re David Cameron and baldy William :greengrin

AltheHibby
17-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Point taken re David Cameron and baldy William :greengrin[/QUOTE]

Nigel Kennedy's a supporter too. And a decent musician.

Ps, h&a, 40,000isnt big. 400,000 is apparently!

emerald green
17-04-2016, 11:08 AM
I watched some of the highlights from the English Championship last night. There are several decent sides in what is an absolutely cut throat league.

AV may well struggle to get out of it in one season, given the shambles that club currently finds itself in. It has been badly mis-managed for years, and the inevitable has happened. Sound familiar?

Iggy Pope
17-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Villa dropping down gives us the return of an extremely antagonistic derby to watch out for next season.

And of course they are a big club. Daft to suggest otherwise.