PDA

View Full Version : Crest on the West - how can we be hit with this heraldic tinkering again?

Viva_Palmeiras
15-04-2016, 04:23 PM
I really like our badge/crest. Strikes a great balance - genius.

But you'd think that since we already had to change our badge for Lord Lyon we'd be wary of falling foul again?

Presumably it's the castle this time - FFS! What does this Lord Lyon do all day - look at heraldic standards and all kinds of iconography inbetween sleeping and dribbling in the House of Lords getting his minions to slap folks down?

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/threat-to-spfl-club-badges-could-become-widespread-1-4101651

Pretty Boy
15-04-2016, 04:32 PM
Not one upsmamship but a genuine query; how are Hibs potentially falling foul of this and not Hearts? It mentions in that article both a saltire and brickwork, both of which feature prominently on Hearts badge.

The whole thing is a nonsense.

Jack
15-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Link doesn't work [for me] so I can't see the detail.

But I'm sure, no, there is in reception a fancy certificate thing from the Lord Lyon saying our crest is hunky dory.

If the Scotsman is suggesting we might be in trouble I'd suggest they didn't take the trouble to phone the club and ask.

Jack
15-04-2016, 04:37 PM
I've read it, typically crap journalism.

HIBERNIAN-0762
15-04-2016, 04:38 PM
Already a deluded yam fud makes a silly comment.

Of course the yam connections to underhand political and masonic ties will make sure they are exempt from any changes.

Fannies.

Pete
15-04-2016, 04:39 PM
Already a deluded yam fud makes a silly comment.

Of course the yam connections to underhand political and masonic ties will make sure they are exempt from any changes.

Fannies.

They have absolutely nothing better to do right now.

NAE NOOKIE
15-04-2016, 04:48 PM
I'm 99.9% sure the current crest was run past the Lord Lyon's minions before the final design was settled upon, so I would say it would be unlikely Hibs will be dragged into this .... even though the report mentions 'towns coats of arms' which could be applied to the castle and the ship.

This story was doing the rounds a few months back ... The biggest outrage for me was the possibility that clubs using the saltire in their badges could be told to remove it, which looks like the case with Ayr Utd who appear to be in the process of changing their badge. As far as I'm concerned that flag belongs to the ordinary people of Scotland who have fought and died under it for centuries and its ours to use as we wish .... it should not be in the gift of the Lord Lyon to say who can and cannot use it .............. If it is, then its time Scotland had a new flag.

Two points here:

1 ....... Hearts have the saltire in their badge, will they be told to remove it?

2 ....... If Hibs are made to remove the castle ( Edinburgh ) and the ship ( Leith ) would we then just return to a simple harp badge? In such circumstances I would be for it personally.

15-04-2016, 04:53 PM
This is an old story that's been redone!

As Jack said think we're actually ok with this. This was the reason the Club changed from the old beer bottle label to the current crest which is registered with the Lord Lyon according to the Club tour I went on a couple of years ago. Looks like more lazy journalism.

Mind you just shows that instead of living in 21st century some things are still dealt with as if we're in the dark ages.

Smartie
15-04-2016, 05:08 PM
Interesting to see Rangers on the list of clubs who might be affected.

I'm sure their follow-followers would be delighted to see them have their badge taken off them.

Seriously though - there will be a huge number of fans of clubs who could be affected by this, who collectively could have a fairly loud voice. This Lord Lyon character can probably pick on the likes of ourselves and Airdrie in isolation once every 20 years or so without anyone getting too angry.

Whilst this little court is quite a quaint idea, surely trying to flex its muscles against a number of clubs of this size could lead to its downfall?

What to stop the clubs just telling him to sod off?

Could the power of the people lead to an end of this nonsensical little court?

mca
15-04-2016, 08:25 PM
This is an old story that's been redone!

As Jack said think we're actually ok with this. This was the reason the Club changed from the old beer bottle label to the current crest which is registered with the Lord Lyon according to the Club tour I went on a couple of years ago. Looks like more lazy journalism.

Mind you just shows that instead of living in 21st century some things are still dealt with as if we're in the dark ages.

Never have i heard of it like that but it made me laugh..

Have also recently found a few kids items with the old badge on.. Heavy jacket and an 80`s style Boot bag.. :wink:

15-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Never have i heard of it like that but it made me laugh..

Have also recently found a few kids items with the old badge on.. Heavy jacket and an 80`s style Boot bag.. :wink:

Of course that should read - "this was the reason the Club changed the crown crest from the 70's to the old beer bottle label".
I know my mates started calling it that after UEFA Cup trip to Belgium when I thing we drunk every type of bottled beer until we eventually found one that looked like the Hibs Crest.

Thought the beer bottle label was a poor crest - Although the beer in Belgium was excellent. 70's crest and current crest are far superior.

Viva_Palmeiras
15-04-2016, 09:39 PM
The boy in position is actually from Dundee (if he's still in position).
looks like he's got his fingers in a number of pies (and scoffed a few of them too by the look of him)

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/former-dundee-councillor-joe-morrow-made-lord-lyon-king-of-arms-1.178550

Peevemor
15-04-2016, 09:45 PM
The current crest was definitely run past the Lord Lyon at the time of it's conception. The original proposal was for a crest split into four parts instead of the three we have (ship, harp & castle). I remember reading at the time that the Lord Lyon (or his office) advised against a 'quartered' design as these were normally used to signify marriages or mergers, which would not have been appropriate for Hibs.

I'd put money on us being in the clear on this one.

Pete
15-04-2016, 09:45 PM
The boy in position is actually from Dundee (if he's still in position).
looks like he's got his fingers in a number of pies (and scoffed a few of them too by the look of him)

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/former-dundee-councillor-joe-morrow-made-lord-lyon-king-of-arms-1.178550

"Lord Lyon King of arms".

Honestly, have a think about that. What the **** is going on in our society when we still have this sort of nonsense.

Is this 1016 or 2016?

Jonnyboy
15-04-2016, 09:46 PM

Honestly, have a think about that. What the **** is going on in our society when we still have this sort of nonsense.

Is this 1016 or 2016?

In certain parts of Scotland, it's still 1690

mca
15-04-2016, 10:26 PM
In certain parts of Scotland, it's still 1690

Buckfast Abbey.. :wink:

Scorrie
15-04-2016, 10:42 PM

Is this 1016 or 2016?

That's exactly what I was thinking. Lord Lyons? What a load of pish in the 21st century. Surely we should be moving on from this garbage

NAE NOOKIE
15-04-2016, 11:24 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. Lord Lyons? What a load of pish in the 21st century. Surely we should be moving on from this garbage

Bang on mate.

These days heraldry should be seen as a bit of fun and something nice to look at. Its hundreds of years down the line from the days when a lion in a triangle or a unicorn standing on a wavy line was important because it enabled the 'high born' to identify each other from the **** or the **** to tell which band of murderous cutthroats disguised as 'nobility' it was stealing their land or hanging them for killing a rabbit.

Football aside ............ Its high time the question of the Saltire was brought to a head. That is the flag of the people of Scotland and Scotland's parliament should decide what can and cannot be done with it, not some archaic bunch of powdered wig wearers. It should be tested in court and if that court decides the Saltire does not belong to the people, then its time for the people to come up with a new flag that does.