PDA

View Full Version : championship players

cloudy
13-04-2016, 11:58 AM
What championship players (take out the rangers) could get a game for us? Who would they replace?

Hibernian Verse
13-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Nade for all our striking options.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Toldo123
13-04-2016, 11:59 AM
What championship players (take out the rangers) could get a game for us? Who would they replace?

Practically every team's number 1 would get a game for us.

WeeRussell
13-04-2016, 12:01 PM
Clangers?

Can't find the wee smiley of the guy dodging the apple (?) getting launched at his heid.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Danny Rogers in goal

Will Vaulks

John Baird

Andy Webster

Hippolyte

Stephen Mallan

Luke Leahey

Steven Sibblad

Blair Alston

I do think there's something to be said for having 'Championship' players in your team. Players who know the league, have been successful in it, etc. The complete opposite of Jim Duffy's signing policy at Hibs.

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 12:25 PM
With the exception of Sauzee, Latapy & maybe Mixu, that's exactly what McLeish did. Remember the likes of Paul Lovering, Derek Collins, Derek Anderson, Alex Marinkov and others? All lower league players used to battling. All of whom were successful to their own degree in the first div but all punted within one season of promotion. You build a team to get up and then start worrying about playing ideals / styles. No point in beating PL teams in the cup and then getting beaten by PT teams regularly.

banarc7062
13-04-2016, 12:32 PM
A Goalkeeper please. Our current first choice leaves a lot to be desired.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2016, 12:36 PM
With the exception of Sauzee, Latapy & maybe Mixu, that's exactly what McLeish did. Remember the likes of Paul Lovering, Derek Collins, Derek Anderson, Alex Marinkov and others? All lower league players used to battling. All of whom were successful to their own degree in the first div but all punted within one season of promotion. You build a team to get up and then start worrying about playing ideals / styles. No point in beating PL teams in the cup and then getting beaten by PT teams regularly.

That's exactly it, bud. Part of me worries that Stubbs' ego has a lot to do with this - doing things his "way" rather than the right way, despite it resulting in our club looking like missing promotion twice. It's as if he wanted the plaudits for his philosophy rather than wanting what's best for the club (promotion). He'd rather be revered for his style of play than actually do the sole job he's meant to do. A bit like Wenger.

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Pace and power is what's required. Pace and width up front, a battering ram of a centre forward and a couple of kick arse centre halves. The patient possession game works against teams prepared to come out and create space, but not against 10 men behind the ball, which is clearly what all of our opponents have learned.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Pace and power is what's required. Pace and width up front, a battering ram of a centre forward and a couple of kick arse centre halves. The patient possession game works against teams prepared to come out and create space, but not against 10 men behind the ball, which is clearly what all of our opponents have learned.

It's not even something anyone learns, mate. It's something glaringly obvious to everyone from early on. That's what worries me about Stubbs.

Cod Boy
13-04-2016, 01:38 PM
It's been done before players coming in who were good at other teams and seem to go downhill when they join Hibs.

CraigHibee
13-04-2016, 03:32 PM
It's been done before players coming in who were good at other teams and seem to go downhill when they join Hibs.

there is a phrase for that, it's called "the hibs effect" :wink:

SJM
13-04-2016, 03:36 PM
Lewis Vaughan next summer.

fulshie
13-04-2016, 03:42 PM
I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with the squad with the exception of our keeper. Its confidence we lack and lots of it. The question is how do we get that back. We were 2-0 up and you could see even then there was a confidence problem. I personally don't know how to rectify this as I'm no manager / coach etc etc.

PiemanP
we need a big centre forward. A replacement for Farid. I think the boy at Livingston, Jordan White, could do a good job, big physical guy but with a decent scoring record in a very poor team.

Diclonius
John Baird knows where the back of the net is.

PiemanP
13-04-2016, 03:44 PM

He's also very similar to all our other strikers. You could argue that keatings, Cummings and Stokes all know where the back of the net is.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 03:47 PM

He's a niggly we b*****d who gets right up my nose and reminds me of Dougie Arnott.

I'd sign him just so there was no chance we had to play against the wee scrote.

I bet defenders hate playing against him.

HibsNutter
13-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Best eleven on paper for me is:

Rogers, Tavernier, Vaulks, Hanlon, Wallace, McGinn, Mcgeouch, Holt, Sibbald(/Henderson), Stokes, O'Hallaron.

minus Rangers lot:

Rogers, Gray, Vaulks, Hanlon, Leahy, McGinn, McGeouch, Sibbald, Henderson, Stokes, Cummings. That is the best team ON PAPER imo. You have to remember that just because someone is good against us, it doesn't mean they are good enough for us. People can perform well for smaller clubs with lower expectation and come to us and underperform, see Liam Craig, Brian Kerr, Alan Gow etc.

Unseen work
13-04-2016, 03:59 PM
I think that sibbald is hugely overrated.

Never seen him play well and there is a the lack of bids for him off better teams.

Vaulks is a brilliant player though.

cloudy
13-04-2016, 06:15 PM
Ok so 90% of our squad are better than any other squad in this league? My next question would be how many of our squad could walk into any spl side (not celtic)?

Badge
13-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Lewis Vaughan next summer.

Who does he play for and what position?

SJM
13-04-2016, 06:20 PM
Who does he play for and what position?

Striker, Raith. Been out all season Hibee and will be back for the playoffs.

Badge
13-04-2016, 06:23 PM
Striker, Raith. Been out all season Hibee and will be back for the playoffs.

Cheers. Is he a big strong striker or similar to what we have?

Jones28
13-04-2016, 06:29 PM
Ok so 90% of our squad are better than any other squad in this league? My next question would be how many of our squad could walk into any spl side (not celtic)?

IMO McGinn, Henderson, stokes, Cummings and Fyvie when fit would get into every SPL side other than Celtic, Henderson and possibly McGinn could still get into the Celtic team.

The rest of our team would get into any side in the bottom 6.

Michael
13-04-2016, 06:34 PM

Hanlon, McGeouch and McGinn would improve anyone outside Celtic.

Famous Fiver
13-04-2016, 06:41 PM
To add to this on a slightly different theme, which Championship managers would we take at Easter Road?

Aitken, McKinnon, Ross, Hopkin, Fowler, Rae?

I'll leave out Duffy, Houston and the Bread man.

All of the first six have put out teams that have thwarted us (in fact all nine have) but just thought I'd throw this question into the mix.

SJM
13-04-2016, 06:52 PM
Cheers. Is he a big strong striker or similar to what we have?

He's getting there yeah.
Where's Michael Higdon these days?

SJM
13-04-2016, 06:54 PM
Hanlon, McGeouch and McGinn would improve anyone outside Celtic.

Hanlon wouldn't get anywhere near the Aberdeen first team.

portyhibernian
13-04-2016, 06:56 PM
To add to this on a slightly different theme, which Championship managers would we take at Easter Road?

All of the first six have put out teams that have thwarted us (in fact all nine have) but just thought I'd throw this question into the mix.

I like McKinnon, think he's done a good job at Raith and Brechin before that. No idea how well he'd do here though.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 07:00 PM
I like McKinnon, think he's done a good job at Raith and Brechin before that. No idea how well he'd do here though.

I think he's quite "pragmatic".

When they play against bigger teams they'll sit in for about 70 minutes then go hell for leather for the win.

My mate supports Brechin (and has a soft spot for Raith) and he really likes him.

It would be a very different challenge for him at Hibs though - being expected to attack and beat teams every week.

My mate was talking about Raith's players and their season in general last week. He said that they started the season slowly but have picked up the longer it has gone on as McKinnon has exerted his influence and they've got used to how he wants them to play. He mentioned that they have a really solid core of players who are probably close to their peak and who have Premier League experience. They could be a tough team to face in the playoffs.

Oh, and seemingly they've lined up that boy Bobby Barr for next season - the Morton winger who gave David Gray a tough time a few weeks ago. I wouldn't have minded him coming to Easter Road tbh, the pace and energy that he showed that night would have been very welcome.

hibees 7062
13-04-2016, 07:04 PM

I'd take him now

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 07:11 PM
I'd take him now

Why?

SJM
13-04-2016, 07:14 PM
Why?

Turned around a club and has them kicking above their weight? Easier to win against Raith in the playoffs? He will end up away to some other side and do a job there too.