PDA

View Full Version : We can't just keep calling for a new manager every time things go wrong

G B Young
13-04-2016, 10:40 AM
Infuriating and depressing as our recent run of form has been, I'm not sure Alan Stubbs deserves all the flak he's now receiving.

He was cut a lot of slack after being brought in as a rookie manager and tasked with clearing up the mess left by the disastrous Butcher regime. Overall, I'd suggest he did pretty well to finish second last season and was unlucky not to lead us to the Scottish Cup final. This season he's taken us to one final and we're in with a chance of reaching another (don't think the club has ever reached both domestic cup finals in one season?). He also looked to be doing a very solid job in maintaining a title challenge to Rangers for the bulk of the season until the wheels came off so spectacularly.

I think most would agree he carries a bit of clout in the transfer market and on paper he has made some excellent signings. Scott Allan was superb for us, while I'm pretty sure his presence as manager was a key factor in enticing young players like Fyvie, McGinn, Henderson and McGeouch to the club.

He has been unlucky with injuries to several of those players as well as El Alagui, who I personally think could have been a great striker for us. He has also made a wrong call, in my view, in letting Malonga go to help facilitate the Stokes loan deal. Here, though, I don't think you can blame him. Any manager in this league would have been ecstatic to sign Stokes and he's a player I think most thought could actually help us pip Rangers to the title.

Overall, a fair report card for a guy in his first job. However, it doesn't mask the fact he has seemed unable to arrest the sudden decline on the pitch and the likely failure to finish second is a major blot on his card. The question is, though, does he deserve to be sacked for this or do we stick with him through what might ultimately prove to be an invaluable learning experience? Would changing manager yet again REALLY make a difference? Most on here felt landing Butcher was an exciting coup and we were proved horribly wrong. Does Stubbs not deserve more time to prove he can learn from his mistakes and get this team playing the way they should be capable of? It seems to me he has worked very hard, along with Leanne Dempster, to lay down some exciting foundations for the club and I'm not yet convinced he deserves the boot.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 10:45 AM
It's the Chairman who should go but he appears to be Teflon on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
13-04-2016, 10:51 AM
I agree and have already stated that he should be here next year as he would have learned from his errors over the past two seasons.

There has to be an acceptance when appointing a rookie manager that their appointment DOES involve a learning curve.

His apprenticeship will be well and truly served though by the end of this season, and results will be expected.

However, it is unrealistic to expect a rookie manager to get everything right first time.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 10:52 AM
I agree and have already stated that he should be here next year as he would have learned from his errors over the past two seasons.

There has to be an acceptance when appointing a rookie manager that their appointment DOES involve a learning curve.

His apprenticeship will be well and truly served though by the end of this season, and results will be expected.

However, it is unrealistic to expect a rookie manager to get everything right first time.

Nielsen did.

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 11:03 AM
Why would be suddenly learn from his mistakes next season? Why not learn now and make changes now? He seems incapable of changing our playing style / formation to turn us around and lacks the pragmatism to be successful in this league. We have actually regressed from last season and that to me is a sackable offence.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 11:05 AM
How can you tell midway through a season that we have regressed? I understand the rage, it's the logic I don't get.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2016, 11:06 AM
I'd given him my patience last season when he made baffling choices as I wanted him to learn but he obviously hasn't. Too busy becoming cocky and complacent. Not good enough for Hibernian Football Club.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 11:08 AM
How can you tell midway through a season that we have regressed? I understand the rage, it's the logic I don't get.

We need 3 wins and a draw from our last 4 games to match last seasons points total. It's not looking good.

chinaman
13-04-2016, 11:08 AM
Nielsen did.

And you also believe in the loch Ness monster, santa the tooth fairy

greenpaper55
13-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Why would be suddenly learn from his mistakes next season? Why not learn now and make changes now? He seems incapable of changing our playing style / formation to turn us around and lacks the pragmatism to be successful in this league. We have actually regressed from last season and that to me is a sackable offence.

Spot on, if he is able to change things why not do it at the start of this dismal run, as i keep on saying why should anything change ? If we finish 3rd then we are going backwards and is just not good enough .

coldingham hibs
13-04-2016, 11:10 AM
If it takes 10 managers to find the right man then it takes 10 managers. Carry on with the current scenario and we won't need any managers because the club will be finished.

Stewboy
13-04-2016, 11:10 AM
How long before you stop being classed as a Rookie?

Is that the only excuse we have left? We have rebuilt the team. We have invested budgetwise. Etc

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 11:11 AM

He didn't win the championship by 20 clear points in his first season and lead them into Europe in his second season? I'm confused, although I suspect not as much as you.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 11:12 AM
How long before you stop being classed as a Rookie?

Is that the only excuse we have left? We have rebuilt the team. We have invested budgetwise. Etc

Next season I expect it will be 'Dundee Utd have had a year to prepare for this league'.

Mango Man
13-04-2016, 11:19 AM
I agree, even though we will end this season empty handed, we need continuity, I think his signings have been really good, especially with being in the Championship, he appears to be a good man manager and the players respect him, and he has certainly brought back a wee bit of faith in the Hibs for myself.

However, this run has been one of the worst ever, and if we get off to a bad start in the Championship again next season, then he's got to go, that certainly didn't help our cause the last 2 seasons.

I have no idea who we could get that would do better, it's a bit of a poisoned chalice nowadays, so god knows who would want to come in.

G B Young
13-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Nielsen did.

Nobody seriously believes Neilson calls all the shots at Hearts. That erse Potter has a big say in signings and tactics (obvious when you see the way they're set up to play, with the emphasis on height and power). He may have been the worst Scotland boss of all time, but he has a lot more experience than Stubbs as a manager at club level. He also had a dire set of players to work with for Scotland, whereas at Hearts he can bring in foreign players capable of playing his 'style'.

Don't forget too that Stubbs has the better of Neilson in derbies and that only a few weeks ago there were Hearts fans calling for their manager's head.

Another factor to bear in mind with Stubbs is that he will be determined not to fail at Hibs as it will impact seriously on his chances of a big move further down the line. Now I'm not saying that's a reason to hold on to him, but if he DOES have any genuine talent as a manager now is the time for him to prove it. If he can do so we can hopefully look back on the last few weeks as a harsh learning curve for him. I'm not exactly confident that will prove to be the case but at present I think it's worth hoping for.

Waxy
13-04-2016, 11:27 AM
If it takes 10 managers to find the right man then it takes 10 managers. Carry on with the current scenario and we won't need any managers because the club will be finished.

Bit dramatic.

Mathias Jack
13-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Because the money involved in sacking him/paying him off is better utilised in other areas this summer, such as the playing staff. I'm not accepting his failures of this season by any means. Should we not get promoted, we have no big games in the league next season that will be televised or will draw a bigger crowd than 10,000.

He's got another year left on his contract, so let's ride it out. No Rangers, no Hearts, no excuses; if we don't get promoted next season, ta ta Stubbs.

ballengeich
13-04-2016, 11:31 AM

He changed the formation last night which refutes your points. He should be given credit for that, even though it's been forgotten because of the late defensive lapses.

Ryan69
13-04-2016, 11:32 AM

Is Santa also the tooth fairy? 🤓

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 11:33 AM
Bit dramatic.

It's not that dramatic. Our cost base is far too high to sustain the club with the crowds we are currently getting. Petrie was quoted previously as saying we need 11k average to break even and that was in the premiership with TV money etc.
Next season we are looking at crowds around the 7k mark. We can cut our player budget back, sell our two valuable players, cut the coaching staff and youth set up but after that it gets a lot more serious.
We have no borrowing facility and no more money from STF. If we stay down then the above will start to happen.

Stewboy
13-04-2016, 11:35 AM
Nobody seriously believes Neilson calls all the shots at Hearts. That erse Potter has a big say in signings and tactics (obvious when you see the way they're set up to play, with the emphasis on height and power). He may have been the worst Scotland boss of all time, but he has a lot more experience than Stubbs as a manager at club level. He also had a dire set of players to work with for Scotland, whereas at Hearts he can bring in foreign players capable of playing his 'style'.

Don't forget too that Stubbs has the better of Neilson in derbies and that only a few weeks ago there were Hearts fans calling for their manager's head.

Another factor to bear in mind with Stubbs is that he will be determined not to fail at Hibs as it will impact seriously on his chances of a big move further down the line. Now I'm not saying that's a reason to hold on to him, but if he DOES have any genuine talent as a manager now is the time for him to prove it. If he can do so we can hopefully look back on the last few weeks as a harsh learning curve for him. I'm not exactly confident that will prove to be the case but at present I think it's worth hoping for.

To be fair, I can't really think of many manager who would actually want to fail?

lucky
13-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Because the money involved in sacking him/paying him off is better utilised in other areas this summer, such as the playing staff. I'm not accepting his failures of this season by any means. Should we not get promoted, we have no big games in the league next season that will be televised or will draw a bigger crowd than 10,000.

He's got another year left on his contract, so let's ride it out. No Rangers, no Hearts, no excuses; if we don't get promoted next season, ta ta Stubbs.

I agree with this. Let's stop wasting money on paying managers/coaching staff off. We are still very much in this but too many fans have chucked it already.

mcfly
13-04-2016, 11:50 AM
Are we just going to accept what's going on??

Crowds are falling - people are fed up with hibs blowing it all the time. Whether that be at Hampden or just in the league.

Fans chucked it?? Quite an insult when it's the players who can't see out a game v 10 men.

Blame the fans???? I think there has been real restraint from the are used to the hibs slump - happens every year

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 12:12 PM
He changed the formation last night which refutes your points. He should be given credit for that, even though it's been forgotten because of the late defensive lapses.

Changed to a flat 442 which then became disjointed and disorganised and ultimately not changed successfully. We were 2-0 up but that masks a poor overall second half again where we were unable to retain meaningful possession and invited pressure onto us. I like Stubbs, I do. However, we now cannot better our points tally from last year in a weaker league and that is underachieving. I hope we go up, and I'll gladly accept I'm wrong if we do......but I don't see any evidence of us improving sufficiently to achieve this.

euro Hibby
13-04-2016, 12:23 PM
10 weeks ago people were bed wetting worrying that he would be off to bigger things. Sure the last weeks have been bad but I think you need to make full judgement come end of season.
Hibs should be playing at a higher level but they have to earn the right. You really have to ask the players how we lost that in the last 5 minutes ? For me , Stubbs is still on pass marks
because the team is better than previous years but still maybe not good enough to get promotion from the league. Remember when we were winning games 1-0 , people were complaining that we should be winning 3-0
or more each time.

Borderhibbie76
13-04-2016, 12:25 PM
Willing to give him till end for season but am sorry of we don't go up (or win the Cup which I feel is highly unlikely ) he has to go - we have gone backwards in last few months and it's simply not good enough in this league with the players at his disposal. My patience is wearing thin...I've renewed for next season and can't contemplate watch this sideways tippy tappy stuff against packed defences for another year should we stay down. IMO he has till May to turn this around...but that's it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

chinaman
13-04-2016, 12:37 PM
He didn't win the championship by 20 clear points in his first season and lead them into Europe in his second season? I'm confused, although I suspect not as much as you.
Yep ! You're confused.
potter tells ugly pus what the team is.
even confused radges no this.

KeithTheHibby
13-04-2016, 12:37 PM

In the cold light of day I am inclined to agree with this.

Lago
13-04-2016, 12:38 PM

Why is it unrealistic, is he now going to have revelation, like St. Paul , and see the diamond is not working. It shouldn't take 2 seasons, last season was his apprenticeship.

Heisenberg
13-04-2016, 12:42 PM
Why would anyone give him another year to **** it up all over again if he can't manage to get us up this year? We've been struggling against teams over the last 10 games who will be in this league next year. We even managed to lose to a mob who are already relegated and hadn't won at home all season.

I'm sorry but if we don't go up this year we need to look elsewhere. Sevco brought in a competent manager who figured out how to win this league rather quickly.

TheFamous1875
13-04-2016, 12:48 PM
Why would anyone give him another year to **** it up all over again if he can't manage to get us up this year? We've been struggling against teams over the last 10 games who will be in this league next year. We even managed to lose to a mob who are already relegated and hadn't won at home all season.

I'm sorry but if we don't go up this year we need to look elsewhere. Sevco brought in a competent manager who figured out how to win this league rather quickly.

Agreed. Our recruitment so far has been very good. Maybe Stubbs is surplus to requirements? We need someone who will take us up. We have the players to do that, there's no question. The only thing holding us back from where we want to be is the management team.

Like Dempster said, it's the club that keeps the recruitment, philosophy, approach to fitness as a constant - not the manager. I'm sure she could readily find someone who would adhere to that much like Stubbs has.

G B Young
13-04-2016, 01:10 PM

Sevco also muddled along with McCoist until it was too late and bringing in McCall did little to help them in the play-offs. Warburton is a proven lower league manager down south and would only have come north to a club the size of sevco. I agree Stubbs' recent record is lamentable, but I'm simply suggesting he may yet have the ability to turn things around if he can learn the error of his ways.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 01:16 PM

Who care, his team won this league at a canter, his team are now in Europe next season after a very good campaign in the top league.

If they were sheite he'd have got his jotters, we are sheite but there's always an excuse. :rolleyes:

monarch
13-04-2016, 01:24 PM
It's the Chairman who should go but he appears to be Teflon on here.

You mean the chairman of the board that's backed the manager to the hilt this season ?

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 01:41 PM
Are we just going to accept what's going on??

Crowds are falling - people are fed up with hibs blowing it all the time. Whether that be at Hampden or just in the league.

Fans chucked it?? Quite an insult when it's the players who can't see out a game v 10 men.

Blame the fans???? I think there has been real restraint from the are used to the hibs slump - happens every year

Why moan on here when you clearly feel so strongly? Have you asked for a meeting with Stubbs/Dempster/Petrie to demand action??

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Who care, his team won this league at a canter, his team are now in Europe next season after a very good campaign in the top league.

If they were sheite he'd have got his jotters, we are sheite but there's always an excuse. :rolleyes:

So what do you want done this time?

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 01:50 PM
So what do you want done this time?

He can go for me.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 01:56 PM
He can go for me.

So we sack a manager just before a semi final and a difficult set of play-off matches. Madness, utter madness.

Mind you, it's an approach that has worked well for us over the last decade. :rolleyes:

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 01:58 PM
So we sack a manager just before a semi final and a difficult set of play-off matches. Madness, utter madness.

So theres no chance of that working then? I'm not sure it's any worse than continuing to make the same mistakes every week. This isn't a blip but a sustained disaster.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 02:00 PM
So theres no chance of that working then? I'm not sure it's any worse than continuing to make the same mistakes every week. This isn't a blip but a sustained disaster.

No, there is no chance of it working whatsoever as we've proven for years and years.

carnoustiehibee

Mind you, it's an approach that has worked well for us over the last decade. :rolleyes:
Would you keep him next season if we don't go up?

Steve20

There's a case to be made that we leave managers too long. Terry Butcher should have been sacked before the playoffs in 2014, as he wasn't winning football matches.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 02:01 PM

Well we can just wait until we are out of everything and sack him at the end of the season i suppose?

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 02:04 PM
No, there is no chance of it working whatsoever as we've proven for years and years.

Except we've not proven that. We wait a la Butcher, Calderwood and others until it's too late to make a difference. If at least an attempt had been made to get rid of Butcher prior to us going into the play offs, we may have at least stood a chance. It's the inaction and hoping for the best based on zero evidence of any imminent upturn that is out problem. A good leader would seek to change a losing mentality.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 02:15 PM
Except we've not proven that. We wait a la Butcher, Calderwood and others until it's too late to make a difference. If at least an attempt had been made to get rid of Butcher prior to us going into the play offs, we may have at least stood a chance. It's the inaction and hoping for the best based on zero evidence of any imminent upturn that is out problem. A good leader would seek to change a losing mentality.

Two months ago the self-same panic merchants were kacking it that Stubbs would be off to Celtic. Were you one of them?

Hibs cannot be run on the basis of blind panic.

HFC 0-7
13-04-2016, 02:21 PM
Can't believe people are saying that we give Stubbs another season if we don't win promotion or the cup!! Too much damage will have been done! If we can't get out this league with 2 attempts why have a third with the same manager. All Stubbs seems to have managed here is to create a solid championship side in 2 seasons. Another season in this league will leave a manager with another rebuilding job - signing players to address the weaknesses, try and re sign the loan players or replace them and try and hold on to any of the talents we currently have like McGinn and Cummings.

It wouldn't be a good idea career wise for Cummings and McGinn to stay another season in the championship IMO. With rangers in the top league there won't be much spotlight on the championship, these players, especially McGinn will want to showcase what they can do as they can go on to much bigger things.

Even if we got promotion, Stubbs coat will still be on a shoogly peg IMO. He hasn't done enough in 2 season in a crap league to convince me he is the right man.

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 02:23 PM
Two months ago the self-same panic merchants were kacking it that Stubbs would be off to Celtic. Were you one of them?

Hibs cannot be run on the basis of blind panic.

If Stubbs was Celtc bound I would be ok with that as it would mean hed been successful with us.

I don't think there is anything blind about panicking about our predicament. I hope to be proven wrong; I (and others who have the same fears) want success for Hibs regardless of who the manager is. If we obtain it with Stubbs I'll be delighted. However, based on the evidence of almost 2 full reasons, I don't see the evidence of us winning the crunch matches that count at the business end.

Ronniekirk
13-04-2016, 02:24 PM
We need 3 wins and a draw from our last 4 games to match last seasons points total. It's not looking good.

We might get the draw but three wins is not likely on current form and i think we now need to start resting some players after the Cup Final ,the way he rested henderson last night to keep them fresh for play offs
Second place is now gone unless Falkirk implode , so give some young players a chance in some of the final games to see if there is anyone good enough to be looking for inclusion in next years squad or who could maybe offer something different in the play offs

Waxy
13-04-2016, 02:32 PM
He might yet get us promoted and win the scottish cup however unlikely it seems just now.We're still in a position to do this snd Stubbs has put us here. Can't sack him now.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 02:34 PM
If Stubbs was Celtc bound I would be ok with that as it would mean hed been successful with us.

I don't think there is anything blind about panicking about our predicament. I hope to be proven wrong; I (and others who have the same fears) want success for Hibs regardless of who the manager is. If we obtain it with Stubbs I'll be delighted. However, based on the evidence of almost 2 full reasons, I don't see the evidence of us winning the crunch matches that count at the business end.

So what do you propose that Hibs do about it?

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 02:40 PM
So what do you propose that Hibs do about it?

Find a better manager who can organise a defence and construct an effective formation which produces goals. Jim McIntyre? Stuart McCall

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Find a better manager who can organise a defence and construct an effective formation which produces goals. Jim McIntyre? Stuart McCall

And sack Stubbs this afternoon? Does his backroom staff go at the same time? Is it OK to rip up existing preparations for the up-coming semi?

Will McIntyre or McCall want to work in this division? Are McIntyre or McCall guaranteed to get us up?

I'll say one thing for you, you could never be accused of being risk-averse. I just hope you're not in charge of my pension.:wink:

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 03:00 PM
And sack Stubbs this afternoon? Does his backroom staff go at the same time? Is it OK to rip up existing preparations for the up-coming semi?

Will McIntyre or McCall want to work in this division? Are McIntyre or McCall guaranteed to get us up?

I'll say one thing for you, you could never be accused of being risk-averse. I just hope you're not in charge of my pension.:wink:

Haha, I know mate!

I just feel the risk is bigger by persisting with the status quo that shows no sign of upturn.

My thought process 're McIntyre is similar to McLeish who left a team safe in the PL for relegation bound Hibs as he recognised our potential.

McCall would clearly be the cheaper option but managed to organise a shambolic Sevco into significant improvement before they collapsed v Well (I recognise the irony given my contention to fire Stubbs!).

Nothing is guaranteed but for once I'd like decisive action to arrest the slump and give us a fighting chance. Just my view though, and I respect you and others contrary opinions. As I've said already, if Stubbs remains and is successful in getting us promoted, I'll be delighted 👍

mcfly
13-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Why moan on here when you clearly feel so strongly? Have you asked for a meeting with Stubbs/Dempster/Petrie to demand action??

Eh get a grip mate.

People on here are fans, season ticket holders who all have an opinion.

You don't agree and are obviously happy with recent form.

the board will know fans are unhappy with season ticket sales etc. Hibs are losing money.

Hibs will always have a hard core fan base but that's not the problem - the issue they have is to win back the 20000 extra that were at Hampden.

Losing late goals like at Hampden and last night will not win them back

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Haha, I know mate!

I just feel the risk is bigger by persisting with the status quo that shows no sign of upturn.

My thought process 're McIntyre is similar to McLeish who left a team safe in the PL for relegation bound Hibs as he recognised our potential.

McCall would clearly be the cheaper option but managed to organise a shambolic Sevco into significant improvement before they collapsed v Well (I recognise the irony given my contention to fire Stubbs!).

Nothing is guaranteed but for once I'd like decisive action to arrest the slump and give us a fighting chance. Just my view though, and I respect you and others contrary opinions. As I've said already, if Stubbs remains and is successful in getting us promoted, I'll be delighted 

I'm all for decisive action too. However I would contend that the action lies with the players - they have ability, they are being prepared and looked after well but lack in self-belief at the moment. They are the only ones to blame for the current slump, and are the only ones that can pull us out of this nose-dive.

SJM
13-04-2016, 03:14 PM
Depending on the manner on Saturday if we lose I would hope he would do the dignified thing and hand it over to someone else.

SJM
13-04-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm all for decisive action too. However I would contend that the action lies with the players - they have ability, they are being prepared and looked after well but lack in self-belief at the moment. They are the only ones to blame for the current slump, and are the only ones that can pull us out of this nose-dive.
It's the managers job to get the best out of the players. Do you think he's succeeding?

FromTheCapital
13-04-2016, 03:17 PM

Hahahahaha :rofl

What a silly, silly post this is.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 03:21 PM
It's the managers job to get the best out of the players. Do you think he's succeeding?

I'll tell you at the end of the season, and only then, if he has succeeded in his objectives. If you want to descend into panic then crack on.

However, if you want something done about the current, I would suggest that you get in touch with Stubbs and Dempster. That would be far more constructive than simply venting your spleen on here don't you think?

SJM
13-04-2016, 03:24 PM
I'll tell you at the end of the season, and only then, if he has succeeded in his objectives. If you want to descend into panic then crack on.

However, if you want something done about the current, I would suggest that you get in touch with Stubbs and Dempster. That would be far more constructive than simply venting your spleen on here don't you think?

So I'm to get in touch with the club about current free fall aye?

Currently, is Stubbs getting the best out the players? That's his job, to get the best out the players and get us out this *****y league. He's not succeeding and the "wait until the end of the season" comment reminds me of the butcher situation when it was blind faith for many.

Lang Toun hibby
13-04-2016, 03:39 PM

I think this response is spot on. The Hertz rookie manager had an experienced "go to who new the Scottish scene inside out and knew the type of player required for the Championship. We do not have that in Stubbs assistants. However they should have learned from last year and I wonder what influence they have on Stubbs selection and tactics? If they have then they are not vey good and if they have none then they should be binned and a Scottish manager with experience of the championship brought in. So we need a few journeymen Championship players to get us out of this league (we should have had e.g. Mark Kerr after we beat Dunfermline a few years ago) and a Scottish assistant to fully have a say next year or it's Stubbs out for next season as it is highly unlikely we will go up.

Michael
13-04-2016, 03:47 PM
Regardless of what happens this year I think Stubbs should be in charge next season. I think/hope he can learn and improve.

We're on a really bad run, but many "greater" managers have had similar problems in the past. Remember Klopp's last season at Dortmund?

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 03:49 PM
So I'm to get in touch with the club about current free fall aye?

Currently, is Stubbs getting the best out the players? That's his job, to get the best out the players and get us out this *****y league. He's not succeeding and the "wait until the end of the season" comment reminds me of the butcher situation when it was blind faith for many.

Yup, speak to the club and demand action rather than just spouting off on here. Why not?

SJM
13-04-2016, 03:54 PM
Yup, speak to the club and demand action rather than just spouting off on here. Why not?

That might just be the radgest idea ever. You got Dempsters phone number there? I'll give her bell see what she says 👍

You didn't answer my question either mate.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 03:55 PM

Because this is a fans message board for good and bad. :confused:

Wilson
13-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Regardless of what happens this year I think Stubbs should be in charge next season. I think/hope he can learn and improve.

We're on a really bad run, but many "greater" managers have had similar problems in the past. Remember Klopp's last season at Dortmund?

My worry is that Stubbs continues to make just short of par. We give him until Xmas next season and we'll still be in contention and still be in the cups. When it comes to the crunch we wont have 'it'. Just as we haven't at any point in his tenure. It will be too late in the day before we realise we're stuck in the same loop.

Results aren't good enough now. If we can salvage this season with decisive action we should do it. If he gets a shot at the play-offs and we fail he should go.

Ozyhibby
13-04-2016, 04:12 PM
Stubbs just got a vote of confidence from Leeann on the Radio so he should be safe now.

kj79
13-04-2016, 04:16 PM

I've read some rubbish on here since last night (on both sides of the debate) but someone with over 8,000 posts on a forum basically telling someone that no point giving their opinion on that very same forum might be the worst!.:confused::confused::confused:..seriously get a grip we are all Hibs fans here!!!

SJM
13-04-2016, 04:17 PM
I've read some rubbish on here since last night (on both sides of the debate) but someone with over 8,000 posts on a forum basically telling someone that no point giving their opinion on that very same forum might be the worst!.:confused::confused::confused:..seriously get a grip we are all Hibs fans here!!!

👍

Expecting Rain
13-04-2016, 04:18 PM
Alan Stubbs is definitely the man to take Hibs forwards, of course he has made mistakes who doesn't, he is trying to cultivate a footballing philosophy that will give the club a platform to consistency and I think the job is hard enough without much of the unreasonable criticism which has been hurled towards him.

Jones28
13-04-2016, 04:25 PM

Jim Mcintrye manages in the league above and beat us in the league cup final. Stuart McCall couldn't get rangers up via the play-offs.

Not a chance would we find a new manager in time to come in and revitalise the team in the space of 6 weeks.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 04:30 PM
That might just be the radgest idea ever. You got Dempsters phone number there? I'll give her bell see what she says 

You didn't answer my question either mate.

I don't have her number I'm afraid but her e-mail address is ldempster@hibernianfc.co.uk. I'd be interested in what she has to say when you speak with her as we are clearly not in the best place at the moment.

I saw your question, but to be honest I think you are asking the wrong thing. Stubbs is not there to get the best out of the players week in, week out as that is clearly impossible for any manager to achieve.

Stubbs is there to get us promoted, end of story. Is he on course to achieve that? Yes - if we were to go up, we expected to do that via the play-offs and nothing has changed in that regard. If anything we have been too successful this season, and the long cup runs in both competitions is not helping our league campaign. In saying that, I was delighted to get to the league cup final and will be gutted if we lose on Saturday.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 04:33 PM

Not what I said at all. The guy is screaming for instant change, and so the best way to get something done is to go to Dempster. What's the problem with that?

Wheat Hound
13-04-2016, 04:35 PM
Jim Mcintrye manages in the league above and beat us in the league cup final. Stuart McCall couldn't get rangers up via the play-offs.

Not a chance would we find a new manager in time to come in and revitalise the team in the space of 6 weeks.

I think McIntyre would see Hibs as a step up still. He won't better winning the cup and getting top 6 with County and so might see now as a good time for a new challenge? McLeish was in a similar position with Motherwell before joining us.

LALthehibeeGAL
13-04-2016, 04:44 PM
Alan Stubbs is definitely the man to take Hibs forwards, of course he has made mistakes who doesn't, he is trying to cultivate a footballing philosophy that will give the club a platform to consistency and I think the job is hard enough without much of the unreasonable criticism which has been hurled towards him.

:agree::top marks

Lal:wink:

DH1875
13-04-2016, 04:47 PM
Stubbs should be allowed to see out the season and then we take it from there. If we win promotion then he stays, if we don't he goes it's as simple as that.
It's not ideal to keep changing managers but then, you can't keep a manager just for the sake of it. Failure is failure and failure = the sack.

SJM
13-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Not what I said at all. The guy is screaming for instant change, and so the best way to get something done is to go to Dempster. What's the problem with that?

Sorry but where did I demand instant change?

CockneyRebel
13-04-2016, 04:48 PM
Sevco also muddled along with McCoist until it was too late and bringing in McCall did little to help them in the play-offs. Warburton is a proven lower league manager down south and would only have come north to a club the size of sevco. I agree Stubbs' recent record is lamentable, but I'm simply suggesting he may yet have the ability to turn things around if he can learn the error of his ways.

He turned Sevco around almost overnight, got them their first league win against us then knocked us out of the playoffs. The squad he inherited were pretty p*sh so what he achieved with them certainly impressed me. Not my favourite manager but a proven motivator who would see what was needed to turn us around. Actually, I'm still not sure on the keep/sack Stubbs issue as I can see merit in both actions but AS does not appear to learn much from the (nearly) two years with the club.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 04:56 PM
He should go after the last playoff match if we don't win them. Sacking a manager before the end of the season has failed so many times here. Fresh start IN THE SUMMER if we need it.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Sorry but where did I demand instant change?

There...

So we just do a butcher and let it continue? Look, take an actual look where we are as a club. It's horrible.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 05:09 PM
He should go after the last playoff match if we don't win them. Sacking a manager before the end of the season has failed so many times here. Fresh start IN THE SUMMER if we need it.

I nearly agree. Whether we go up or not, we should review the managerial situation along with everything else on both the playing and commercial side. The reason I say that is that our circumstances will have changed significantly whether we get up or not, and changes should be made either way.

Steve20
13-04-2016, 05:16 PM

We didn't sack Butcher before the playoffs and look what happened. Keeping a manager that can't win football matches isn't going to end well.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 05:17 PM
We didn't sack Butcher before the playoffs and look what happened. Keeping a manager that can't win football matches isn't going to end well.Thankfully Stubbs has won just under 60% of his matches in charge of Hibernian then.

Fogzie
13-04-2016, 05:27 PM
Unfortunately , patience is required. We brought in McGinn, Hendo etc. At Xmas, we were looking good. Transfer window opens and we bring in Stokes and Thomson cause nothing else needed sorted. (Apart from. Goalie). So now , the goalposts have changed, we need some added steel in the team alongside Bartley. The proof for me , will be if Stubbs brings in players to fix our problems. He didn't do it in January because the problems were not as visible as they are now.
In truth, all credit to Falkirk. They've had a great season. We've had a decent run but cracked at the end. Considering where we ended up with Butcher, 2 seasons was pretty ambitious to get us back up.
It's not dead yet but I think we all know what needs fixed.

Alfred E Newman
13-04-2016, 05:36 PM

Regardless of the Stubbs situation, Butcher was crying out to be sacked before the play offs. If he had been I am convinced we would not be in this league now.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 05:38 PM
Regardless of the Stubbs situation, Butcher was crying out to be sacked before the play offs. If he had been I am convinced we would not be in this league now.We wouldn't be in this division if Fenlon wasn't hounded out,

SJM
13-04-2016, 06:23 PM
There...

So we just do a butcher and let it continue? Look, take an actual look where we are as a club. It's horrible.

I also said his job is on the line of we don't go up. Sacking him before a semi would be criminal but if we are beaten soundly then questions have to be asked unlike Butcher.

KeithTheHibby
13-04-2016, 07:29 PM
He can go for me.

Now? And replace with who exactly??

Smartie
13-04-2016, 07:30 PM
We wouldn't be in this division if Fenlon wasn't hounded out,

It's a bit of a non-argument as it is totally hypothetical but I think we would.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 07:36 PM
Now? And replace with who exactly??

I love that question, when a manager leaves us or we punt them, have you ever noticed that we ALWAYS get another one?

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 07:44 PM
It's a bit of a non-argument as it is totally hypothetical but I think we would.There is nothing to really suggest we would. Fenlon had 15 points in 11 games and we were 7th. That isn't even that bad when you consider all the new players we had and the good ones we had lost. Butcher managed 20 points in 25 games or something, that is awful. Fenlon would have undoubtedly done better.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 08:00 PM
There is nothing to really suggest we would. Fenlon had 15 points in 11 games and we were 7th. That isn't even that bad when you consider all the new players we had and the good ones we had lost. Butcher managed 20 points in 25 games or something, that is awful. Fenlon would have undoubtedly done better.

We were dreadful at the start of that season, albeit we had picked up a few points. Fenlon had assembled the squad, he knew it wasn't good enough and he knew himself he had lost them.

We got a minor bounce after Butcher came in which made the collapse all the more spectacular - Fenlon wouldn't have got that bounce and imo we'd have been in crisis sooner under him. We might have realised the level of trouble we were in rather than being taken by surprise, which tbh I think we all were with the steep, late descent under Butcher.

All hypothetical but it is mental to suggest that any club who had no fit wide players for most of the season (but, er, didn't ever try playing a narrow diamond or anything) and James Collins and Rowan Vine up front were ever going to be anything other than in deep, deep trouble. Butcher was a bawbag who made a royal mess of the shambles he inherited but that is a different story.

It's also a bit misleading taking a snapshot of 11 games and extrapolating that over an entire season. Which 11 games would you take for this season? The last 11? 11 through September October? Because depending on which 11 you take Stubbs is either the best or worst manager we've ever had.

We got a few points during those 11 games but it was obvious to me we were in deep, deep trouble early that season.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 08:04 PM
We were dreadful at the start of that season, albeit we had picked up a few points. Fenlon had assembled the squad, he knew it wasn't good enough and he knew himself he had lost them.

We got a minor bounce after Butcher came in which made the collapse all the more spectacular - Fenlon wouldn't have got that bounce and imo we'd have been in crisis sooner under him. We might have realised the level of trouble we were in rather than being taken by surprise, which tbh I think we all were with the steep, late descent under Butcher.

All hypothetical but it is mental to suggest that any club who had no fit wide players for most of the season (but, er, didn't ever try playing a narrow diamond or anything) and James Collins and Rowan Vine up front were ever going to be anything other than in deep, deep trouble. Butcher was a bawbag who made a royal mess of the shambles he inherited but that is a different story.We drew with Celtic, beat St Johnstone away (first team in a year to win there) and won at Killie, Patrick and home vs St Mirren. We weren't dreadful, we were solid and would have survived quite easily. Fenlon had as many wins in 11 games as Butcher got in 20+.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 08:10 PM
We drew with Celtic, beat St Johnstone away (first team in a year to win there) and won at Killie, Patrick and home vs St Mirren. We weren't dreadful, we were solid and would have survived quite easily. Fenlon had as many wins in 11 games as Butcher got in 20+.

The win at Partick is the most shambolic, undeserved win I've ever seen us get. It was daylight robbery.

The squad was horrendously unbalanced although I'll give your due - we were reasonably solid at the back. Unfortunately we were woeful going forward. That side was never going to get enough goals to achieve anything.

Fenlon went of his own accord - he knew we weren't up to it.

Personally I still blame Petrie - I cannot believe that any manager with any self-respect (which I think Pat had, and I think he had shown promise in his first year or so that he could manage a team in crisis quite well) would put a squad like that together through choice and expect it to do well. I reckon that was a mishmash of 4th and 5th choices because Petrie was sabotaging deals all over the shop with his infamous negotiating tactics.

As I say, a hypothetical argument and one that neither of us is likely to change our mind on.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 08:14 PM
The win at Partick is the most shambolic, undeserved win I've ever seen us get. It was daylight robbery.

The squad was horrendously unbalanced although I'll give your due - we were reasonably solid at the back. Unfortunately we were woeful going forward. That side was never going to get enough goals to achieve anything.

Fenlon went of his own accord - he knew we weren't up to it.

Personally I still blame Petrie - I cannot believe that any manager with any self-respect (which I think Pat had, and I think he had shown promise in his first year or so that he could manage a team in crisis quite well) would put a squad like that together through choice and expect it to do well. I reckon that was a mishmash of 4th and 5th choices because Petrie was sabotaging deals all over the shop with his infamous negotiating tactics.

As I say, a hypothetical argument and one that neither of us is likely to change our mind on.I wish Fenlon had a choice, he was hounded out, this place was pathetic at the time. Careful what you wish for.

The Partick win was grim but how many times have we got beat when playing well? I was delighted we won like that for once.

While it is hypothetical there is far more evidence to suggest we'd be fine.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 08:20 PM
I wish Fenlon had a choice, he was hounded out, this place was pathetic at the time. Careful what you wish for.

The Partick win was grim but how many times have we got beat when playing well? I was delighted we won like that for once.

When Fenlon left it really was the right time for him to leave, although WTF Petrie did by appointing someone even worse was just criminal.

We'd never have been relegated though under him.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 08:24 PM
When Fenlon left it really was the right time for him to leave, although WTF Petrie did by appointing someone even worse was just criminal.

We'd never have been relegated though under him.It wasn't the right time to leave. We already had massive changes planned in the summer with Dempster, we should have let Fenlon keep us safe and then bin him in summer. It was an awful mistake and was compounded with appointing Butcher, someone most on here seemed to want.

It is strange, people expect the club to listen to them when it comes to managers leaving but blame the club for appointing the popular choice. Cant have it both ways IMO.

blackpoolhibs
13-04-2016, 08:38 PM
It wasn't the right time to leave. We already had massive changes planned in the summer with Dempster, we should have let Fenlon keep us safe and then bin him in summer. It was an awful mistake and was compounded with appointing Butcher, someone most on here seemed to want.

It is strange, people expect the club to listen to them when it comes to managers leaving but blame the club for appointing the popular choice. Cant have it both ways IMO.

I pointed out Butchers record before he was appointed, and it was absolutely shocking bar ICT. Petrie is or was not paid to bring in the popular choice, did he not learn anything after Sauzee?

Petrie's appointments made no sense at all, he went from managers who were into total football to managers who set the team up not to lose first.

And as you said if these massive changes were in place for the summer, he should have kept him on, its not as if Petrie could have got anymore unpopular?

marinello59
13-04-2016, 09:01 PM
It wasn't the right time to leave. We already had massive changes planned in the summer with Dempster, we should have let Fenlon keep us safe and then bin him in summer. It was an awful mistake and was compounded with appointing Butcher, someone most on here seemed to want.

Fenlon should have gone after that cup final and certainly after the Malmo debacle. Butcher was disatrous appointment but that doesn't mean that Fenlon should have been persuaded to stay on.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Fenlon should have gone after that cup final and certainly after the Malmo debacle. Butcher was disatrous appointment but that doesn't mean that Fenlon should have been persuaded to stay on.What cup final should Fenlon have gone after? The one he got us to against all odds and got hammered by a team that was very much cheating? This whole site backed him at the time, it was pointless to punt him then.

SJM
13-04-2016, 09:12 PM
What cup final should Fenlon have gone after? The one he got us to against all odds and got hammered by a team that was very much cheating? This whole site backed him at the time, it was pointless to punt him then.

Hearts final. He should have walked. He didn't have the support of all our fans after that. No manger should survive the two worst results in our history. Butcher was a train wreck though. But so was Calderwood.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 09:16 PM
Hearts final. He should have walked. He didn't have the support of all our fans after that. No manger should survive the two worst results in our history. Butcher was a train wreck though. But so was Calderwood.

Our worst result in history changes every week on here. Load of pish really. Ferguson lost 6-1 at home to City, should he have gone after that? Fits in with the judging managers purely on 1 game logic.

Fenlon going after that final would have been pointless, he improved us big time the next season and beat that mob twice.

SJM
13-04-2016, 09:18 PM
Our worst result in history changes every week on here. Load of pish really. Ferguson lost 6-1 at home to City, should he have gone after that? Fits in with the judging managers purely on 1 game logic.

Fenlon going after that final would have been pointless, he improved us big time the next season and beat that mob twice.

It might but the final loss to hearts in the biggest game of my life will always hurt the most. Then Malmo. Both under Fenlon who incidently was another good guy but didn't have it.

Fenlon should have been sacked or walked after that final. Mental he stayed and it's never got better.

marinello59
13-04-2016, 09:25 PM
What cup final should Fenlon have gone after? The one he got us to against all odds and got hammered by a team that was very much cheating? This whole site backed him at the time, it was pointless to punt him then.

The whole site backed him? Really?

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 09:29 PM
It might but the final loss to hearts in the biggest game of my life will always hurt the most. Then Malmo. Both under Fenlon who incidently was another good guy but didn't have it.

Fenlon should have been sacked or walked after that final. Mental he stayed and it's never got better.It wasn't mental he stayed, it was quite logical, it was just 1 game that he done quite incredibly to get us in.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 09:29 PM
The whole site backed him? Really?A vast majority yes.

Bristolhibby
13-04-2016, 09:30 PM

Did we not play 4-4-2 yesterday? The formation everyone was screaming for.

IMHO the players let us down last night. Dropping back and hoofing the ball on sight.

J

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 09:31 PM
Did we not play 4-4-2 yesterday? The formation everyone was screaming for.

IMHO the players let us down last night. Dropping back and hoofing the ball on sight.

JWe have changed formation plenty in recent weeks, people just don't like coming up with real seasons to have a go at Stubbs(there are quite a few)

SJM
13-04-2016, 10:02 PM
It wasn't mental he stayed, it was quite logical, it was just 1 game that he done quite incredibly to get us in.

Incredibly, how come?

One game, worst result in our history with a team full of Matt Dohertys that couldn't give a ****. Leigh Griffiths saved Fenlon so many times, we nearly went down too.

Sir David Gray
13-04-2016, 10:26 PM

:faf: Hardly.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 10:41 PM
Incredibly, how come?

One game, worst result in our history with a team full of Matt Dohertys that couldn't give a ****. Leigh Griffiths saved Fenlon so many times, we nearly went down too.Striker scored goals? How exactly did that save Fenlon? If Griffiths doesn't score is it his fault Fenlon gets sacked? Anything to stick the boot in eh.

We done very well to beat Killie, Ayr and Aberdeen to get to that final and that semi win was a great day.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 11:03 PM
I wish Fenlon had a choice, he was hounded out, this place was pathetic at the time. Careful what you wish for.

It depends on what evidence you want to go on.

You want to go with the evidence that our results early that season under Fenlon were good and you think that would have continued - fair enough.

Personally I'd go with the evidence that we were already playing poorly and that that same squad of players ultimately found themselves relegated several months later, albeit under a different manager.

It was a horrible squad of players and any manager would have struggled to do much better with them imo.

Andy74
13-04-2016, 11:19 PM
It depends on what evidence you want to go on.

You want to go with the evidence that our results early that season under Fenlon were good and you think that would have continued - fair enough.

Personally I'd go with the evidence that we were already playing poorly and that that same squad of players ultimately found themselves relegated several months later, albeit under a different manager.

It was a horrible squad of players and any manager would have struggled to do much better with them imo.

Total nonsense.

After surviving the first year our average position was between 4th and 5th if you take where we placed in the league each week.

We spent considerably more time in top six than bottom six and reached the top of the league at times.

Saying we hypothetically could have got relegated is just ridiculous.

He may not have improved us quickly enough for some and we probably expected to be 3rd or 4th. The football might not have been brilliant.

But that's that. Once he took Calderwood's team clear of relegation we were never close to being in trouble.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 11:36 PM
Total nonsense.

After surviving the first year our average position was between 4th and 5th if you take where we placed in the league each week.

We spent considerably more time in top six than bottom six and reached the top of the league at times.

He may not have improved us quickly enough for some and we probably expected to be 3rd or 4th. The football might not have been brilliant.

But that's that. Once he took Calderwood's team clear of relegation we were never close to being in trouble.

I thought Fenlon did well until that summer. He improved us in his first transfer window and we played some decent stuff at times during his full season. He deserves great credit for reaching 2 cup finals and for being a steady hand when we were in crisis.

That summer was an utter abomination. We were horrifically ill-prepared for the Malmo game and in truth weren't remotely ready for the season. Where were the goals ever going to come from? Where was the creativity going to come from? The quality of Griffiths carried us through the previous season and our performance with him in the side can't be anything like a barometer of what we'd have done in the relegation season under Fenlon without Griffiths.

We were gash and we deserved to be relegated and imo once that season was underway no manager could have turned that around. Especially if they were given a preposterous one out one in policy in the January window.

MWHIBBIES
13-04-2016, 11:44 PM
I thought Fenlon did well until that summer. He improved us in his first transfer window and we played some decent stuff at times during his full season. He deserves great credit for reaching 2 cup finals and for being a steady hand when we were in crisis.

That summer was an utter abomination. We were horrifically ill-prepared for the Malmo game and in truth weren't remotely ready for the season. Where were the goals ever going to come from? Where was the creativity going to come from? The quality of Griffiths carried us through the previous season and our performance with him in the side can't be anything like a barometer of what we'd have done in the relegation season under Fenlon without Griffiths.

We were gash and we deserved to be relegated and imo once that season was underway no manager could have turned that around. Especially if they were given a preposterous one out one in policy in the January window.The point is that it didn't need turning around until Fenlon was sacked.

Ozyhibby
14-04-2016, 08:10 AM
Total nonsense.

He never really improved on Calderwoods team. We were 9th when he took over and we finished 11th. His points per game ratio was lower than Calderwoods. He replaced just about the whole team in the January transfer window and we did not improve one little bit. Luckily Dunfermline were in an even worse state.

supermcginn
14-04-2016, 08:23 AM

Fenlon should have been sacked or walked after that final. Mental he stayed and it's never got better.
Exactly, I can't believe any hibs can would stick up for him, just seeing his name again gives me the heebie jeebies!

Andy74
14-04-2016, 08:31 AM
He never really improved on Calderwoods team. We were 9th when he took over and we finished 11th. His points per game ratio was lower than Calderwoods. He replaced just about the whole team in the January transfer window and we did not improve one little bit. Luckily Dunfermline were in an even worse state.

Lacking any reality this one. The teams around us had games in hand at the time. We had just lost at home to Dunfermline. We ended up comfortably enough ahead of them and in the cup final. We spent most of the next season in the top half.

Of course it was improvement.

greenpaper55
14-04-2016, 08:49 AM
We have had managers in the recent past who hardly knew how to take a training session and we had no physio or medical staff at EM and the man responsible for all this-well you know who ? I think folk are billin as we thought all this had changed under LD. We have had years and years of neglect and mismanagement by that clown at the top most on here thought the good days are here again and the disappointment is hard to take if it all goes wrong again.

KeithTheHibby
14-04-2016, 06:18 PM
I love that question, when a manager leaves us or we punt them, have you ever noticed that we ALWAYS get another one?

You love it that much however you cannot answer it? Really helpful.

blackpoolhibs
14-04-2016, 08:32 PM
You love it that much however you cannot answer it? Really helpful.

Well here's my answer now, i dont know. Yet if i was paid the salary the people responsible to appoint managers at the club, i'm pretty sure i'd put a little more effort in to find the right person for the job.

I could like others just pluck any old name out the air, what good would that do for your question?

hibs0666
17-04-2016, 02:03 PM
Well here's my answer now, i dont know. Yet if i was paid the salary the people responsible to appoint managers at the club, i'm pretty sure i'd put a little more effort in to find the right person for the job.

I could like others just pluck any old name out the air, what good would that do for your question?

Got one for you - Alan Stubbs no?