PDA

View Full Version : For those who didn't go to the game last night

GreenCastle
13-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Hibs played much better than previous weeks.

Probably best performance since Derby cup win.

The shape and balance of the team was the best it's been for a while - having Boyles speed and work rate helps.

Once the 2nd goal went it we switched off big time - we thought we have won the game.

Long throw ins against us and set pieces I feel have been an issue for a good few years. We just don't mark properly and if the GK doesn't come for the cross to punch or the defenders don't win the 1st ball then we look very nervy.

If you have watched Hibs enough this season - we struggle with 2 areas.

Teams that park the bus at 0v0 or 0v1

Anything in the air - attacking corners (rarely score), defending long throw ins and long balls to the strikers (Rarely win unless Farid is playing)

Our best 3 in the air are McGregor / Hanlon and Fontaine - possibly Gray. It's a shame Fontaine couldn't have been brought in as The KT sub just didn't feel right at the time for Bartley who had another solid game.

The positives I see from last night are that surely now we know Falkirk are going to be really tough to beat in the play offs and we have to expect a battle. From the middle of the season it always looked likely we would play them.

Raith can't be overlooked though and the home playoff game is crucial against them and Falkirk.

The results have been poor recently but I still feel we can do it.

SeanWilson
13-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Hibs played much better than previous weeks.

Probably best performance since Derby cup win.

The shape and balance of the team was the best it's been for a while - having Boyles speed and work rate helps.

Once the 2nd goal went it we switched off big time - we thought we have won the game.

Long throw ins against us and set pieces I feel have been an issue for a good few years. We just don't mark properly and if the GK doesn't come for the cross to punch or the defenders don't win the 1st ball then we look very nervy.

If you have watched Hibs enough this season - we struggle with 2 areas.

Teams that park the bus at 0v0 or 0v1

Anything in the air - attacking corners (rarely score), defending long throw ins and long balls to the strikers (Rarely win unless Farid is playing)

Our best 3 in the air are McGregor / Hanlon and Fontaine - possibly Gray. It's a shame Fontaine couldn't have been brought in as The KT sub just didn't feel right at the time for Bartley who had another solid game.

The positives I see from last night are that surely now we know Falkirk are going to be really tough to beat in the play offs and we have to expect a battle. From the middle of the season it always looked likely we would play them.

Raith can't be overlooked though and the home playoff game is crucial against them and Falkirk.

The results have been poor recently but I still feel we can do it.

I just don't see the team busting a gut when defending just now (the type of play Bartley gives week in and out). When individual errors are being made, we seem to be resolute in just blaming the individual. We need to be doing everything possible to help/cover/resolve individual errors. Was a decent performance in general, where on another night with another referee the game could have been dead and done by 70 mins. I suspect a hibs team playing like that in the first half of the season would have scored 3 or 4 at least.

number9dream
13-04-2016, 08:40 AM
An improvement but we needed a virtual own goal and a very soft penalty to get our lead.
Opening teams up remains a huge problem now that our defence has turned to jelly.

GreenCastle
13-04-2016, 08:51 AM
I just don't see the team busting a gut when defending just now (the type of play Bartley gives week in and out). When individual errors are being made, we seem to be resolute in just blaming the individual. We need to be doing everything possible to help/cover/resolve individual errors. Was a decent performance in general, where on another night with another referee the game could have been dead and done by 70 mins. I suspect a hibs team playing like that in the first half of the season would have scored 3 or 4 at least.

I understand what you mean about defending and busting a gut - on the whole I thought they weren't too bad at that.

It was only in the 2nd half when Falkirk went for it we were under pressure.

Oxley saved with his feet a shot that looked certain to go in and that was a massive let off. Could easily have been 1v1 then. We got the penalty and you could feel the relief from players and even the fans were singing thinking it had been won. Falkirk fans were leaving etc.

We lost focus and as soon as Falkirk got 1 goal - they were going to get a 2nd as previous weeks they have shown hunger, desire and a never say die attitude to score late goals.

I'm as frustrated as any as like the league cup final - there was another opportunity last night for a positive result and we self destructed.

Mental toughness and school boy defending cost us the loss.

We have rarely scored over 2 goals in a game all season. If we aren't finishin games off we need to learn to defend better.

hibs0666
13-04-2016, 11:20 AM
An improvement but we needed a virtual own goal and a very soft penalty to get our lead.
Opening teams up remains a huge problem now that our defence has turned to jelly.

Penalty was a stick on. Pressure from Hibs players caused the mistake for the first goal. Stick the boot in if you like but don't diss the good stuff when it doesn't suit your point of view.

silverhibee
13-04-2016, 04:13 PM
For those who didn't go to the game last night

Cheers for the summary since I didn't make it, but there is more important things in life than Hibs for me at present.

buktapurple79
13-04-2016, 04:45 PM
I'm a half full type of guy, was spewing last night but also thought we looked much better. We'll still go up - I think we do better in a 'backs against the wall' type situation and we'll hammer Utd at the weekend in the same we've done all SPL this season. If we do finish 3rd then the added pressure should motivate the players in the same way. Stubbs does not play in the team and getting rid of another manager will achieve nothing.

HibsNutter
13-04-2016, 04:51 PM
Think we have to realise the importance of Fyvie's role to this team. When fit we need the progressive midfield four of Fyvie, Mcgeouch, McGinn and Henderson to play.

monktonharp
13-04-2016, 05:03 PM
I understand what you mean about defending and busting a gut - on the whole I thought they weren't too bad at that.

It was only in the 2nd half when Falkirk went for it we were under pressure.

Oxley saved with his feet a shot that looked certain to go in and that was a massive let off. Could easily have been 1v1 then. We got the penalty and you could feel the relief from players and even the fans were singing thinking it had been won. Falkirk fans were leaving etc.

We lost focus and as soon as Falkirk got 1 goal - they were going to get a 2nd as previous weeks they have shown hunger, desire and a never say die attitude to score late goals.

I'm as frustrated as any as like the league cup final - there was another opportunity last night for a positive result and we self destructed.

Mental toughness and school boy defending cost us the loss.

We have rarely scored over 2 goals in a game all season. If we aren't finishin games off we need to learn to defend better.mental toughness, probably a lack of, schoolboy errors yes, but we did not lose. we did not just lose late goals because of the defence though. Ithought at 2 nil, we'd keep the ball and wind down time with the ball near the corner flags. Hendo, and others decided to try crossing at silly times instead of keeping it. another goal would have been great, but we did not need to do that. we needed to hold the ball for most of the 5 mins. still to go.

greenlex
13-04-2016, 05:10 PM
mental toughness, probably a lack of, schoolboy errors yes, but we did not lose. we did not just lose late goals because of the defence though. Ithought at 2 nil, we'd keep the ball and wind down time with the ball near the corner flags. Hendo, and others decided to try crossing at silly times instead of keeping it. another goal would have been great, but we did not need to do that. we needed to hold the ball for most of the 5 mins. still to go.
Wasn't there M but if your 2 up against 10 men with 10 to go you should hold on to it and make them run about and frustrate them. Young team should learn from this.

Albion Hibs
13-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Overall we were the better team. The they did little to test oxley until the last 10 mins. The biggest mistake was bringing on Thomson. It would have been better to risk Bartley getting a 2nd yellow and going to 10 v 10 than making that change.

mcfly
13-04-2016, 05:44 PM
Can anyone tell me why McGinn is played left of midfield 4 when he was MOM playing for Scotland at centre midfield

Very strange and we need him dictating the play

WhileTheChief..
13-04-2016, 05:48 PM
Keep hearing that we're the better team or played better on the day.

Heard it all last season that we had a better team than Hearts, same with Rangers this year.

Maybe we just need to accept that we're not as good as we think we are :confused:

jacomo
13-04-2016, 06:01 PM
Can anyone tell me why McGinn is played left of midfield 4 when he was MOM playing for Scotland at centre midfield

Very strange and we need him dictating the play

Because we don't have anyone better to play in that role?

No argument from me that the squad looks less well balanced after January, but unless there's a kid who can step up there's not a lot we can do about that now.

Just need to back the team, including Stubbs.

matty_f
13-04-2016, 06:03 PM
Wasn't there M but if your 2 up against 10 men with 10 to go you should hold on to it and make them run about and frustrate them. Young team should learn from this.

Whilst right, and I agree with you, I think when you're the team that is 2-0 down, with ten men, and ten minutes to go, you've nothing to lose by chucking everything at it and hoping to get a goal - it's never as easy as just seeing it out, though plenty teams do it (as we've done plenty times under Stubbs as well).

Vontz
13-04-2016, 08:33 PM
Wasn't there sat so can't comment but from what I seen last night we seem to be going back to front much quicker than normal. Far from ideal when you've a couple of hobbits up front. No work rate from Cummings when he's not got the ball. I also thought Falkirk were good for their point over the full 90min.

monktonharp
13-04-2016, 09:04 PM
Wasn't there sat so can't comment but from what I seen last night we seem to be going back to front much quicker than normal. Far from ideal when you've a couple of hobbits up front. No work rate from Cummings when he's not got the ball. I also thought Falkirk were good for their point over the full 90min.sorry to disagree. we were miles ahead of them ,first half with only one goal . we were better than them for most of the second, but with about 20 mins to go we slackened off in midfield. we got a penalty, but after 2 up we just needed to keep the ball. I suppose he brought KT on to try and do that but others, imho did not follow that idea.

Borderhibbie76
13-04-2016, 09:34 PM
For those who didn't go to the game last night

Cheers for the summary since I didn't make it, but there is more important things in life than Hibs for me at present.
No need to jump down the OPs throat
..not as if he was having a go at you personally...or anyone for that matter. Just providing g a summary for anyone not there....of which there will be many

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
14-04-2016, 09:32 AM
Overall we were the better team. The they did little to test oxley until the last 10 mins. The biggest mistake was bringing on Thomson. It would have been better to risk Bartley getting a 2nd yellow and going to 10 v 10 than making that change.

To repeat... Bartley was injured

linxall
14-04-2016, 10:01 AM
I watched the game on Hibs TV and credit Falkirk for their perseverance. Had Hibs scored those two late goals I'd have been delighted.

SlickShoes
14-04-2016, 10:28 AM
I saw the game live on hibs TV and the second half was fairly even overall, we had the better of the first half. I wouldn't class it as a GOOD performance overall, regardless of how well we played over X amount of minutes we played horribly for the last 5 or 10. You could see the players stop playing football and start playing this last ten minutes panic football we usually slip into, it was depressing to watch.

PPZPOL
14-04-2016, 11:03 AM
I saw the game live on hibs TV and the second half was fairly even overall, we had the better of the first half. I wouldn't class it as a GOOD performance overall, regardless of how well we played over X amount of minutes we played horribly for the last 5 or 10. You could see the players stop playing football and start playing this last ten minutes panic football we usually slip into, it was depressing to watch.

This is our biggest problem. We simply panic when we are winning, no matter who we are playing. I felt from 60 mins onwards we were far too deep and kicking the skin off the ball at almost every opportunity, this results in the opposition getting ball back and us sitting deeper and deeper. Like you said.....poor to watch.

silverhibee
14-04-2016, 11:11 AM
No need to jump down the OPs throat
..not as if he was having a go at you personally...or anyone for that matter. Just providing g a summary for anyone not there....of which there will be many

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Deary me.