PDA

View Full Version : NHC Gavin Gunning

CallumLaidlaw
12-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Thats him been mutually consented from Utd after his bizarre incident at the weekend

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gavin-gunning-leaves-dundee-united-7737655#dmhoAs5kYgk04hZS.97

lucky
12-04-2016, 10:56 AM
The mans a disgrace. Clearly not interested in playing professional football. At least United seem in a bigger mess than us.

Brightside
12-04-2016, 10:57 AM
The mans a disgrace. Clearly not interested in playing professional football. At least United seem in a bigger mess than us.

whats the background?

cabbageandribs1875
12-04-2016, 10:58 AM
bizarre :greengrin

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/04/12/handball-gets-gavin-gunning-boot-dundee-united/

lyonhibs
12-04-2016, 11:05 AM
bizarre :greengrin

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/2016/04/12/handball-gets-gavin-gunning-boot-dundee-united/

Just saw that today. Couldn't believe it. We all talk about players "downing tools" and "selling the jerseys" but that really takes the biscuit.

Great timing just before the SC Semi, although I can't think of a manager I'd less wish to have lose the nut with me bigstyle than Mixu. I'd assume he went through Gunning like a ton of bricks before he was "mutually consented"

Smartie
12-04-2016, 11:08 AM
It looks like we're having a competition with United to see who can go into the semi-final in the worst shape.

We could really put some pressure on them by picking up a result tonight though.

My mate (who supports United) was asking me about Danny Galbraith the other day, seemingly he's been linked with them.

Were there not similar stories about him having disagreements with our medical staff re the seriousness of his injuries when he was with us?

StevieT
12-04-2016, 11:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoslY67Egc

Around the 7 minute mark here. If you want a laugh just take a look at the referee's assistant after he picks up the ball.

Pretty Boy
12-04-2016, 11:13 AM
Did Willie Miller not do something very vaguely similar when we were relegated in 98?

Sure I remember him, away at Dens I think, having already been booked just jump up and catch the ball when it was floated a couple of yards abovr his head and was inevitably sent off.

Smartie
12-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Did Willie Miller not do something very vaguely similar when we were relegated in 98?

Sure I remember him, away at Dens I think, having already been booked just jump up and catch the ball when it was floated a couple of yards abovr his head and was inevitably sent off.

He did, only it was at East End Park.

Sylar
12-04-2016, 11:16 AM
Does he have a history of behaving like a walloper? I really don't know much about him but after watching that, I'd question whether the lad needs help.

Utterly bizarre behaviour.

Smartie
12-04-2016, 11:20 AM
Does he have a history of behaving like a walloper? I really don't know much about him but after watching that, I'd question whether the lad needs help.

The fans have been on his back big time. Used to be a good player but really struggling right now (would probably have been better for us if he'd been playing on Saturday tbh).

Seemingly he thought (or at least he said) he was injured but the medical staff disagreed and this was his way of getting himself substituted.

WeeRussell
12-04-2016, 11:20 AM
It looks like we're having a competition with United to see who can go into the semi-final in the worst shape.

We could really put some pressure on them by picking up a result tonight though.

My mate (who supports United) was asking me about Danny Galbraith the other day, seemingly he's been linked with them.

Were there not similar stories about him having disagreements with our medical staff re the seriousness of his injuries when he was with us?

As far as I am aware, it was only people on here speculating that his injuries were in his head.

WeeRussell
12-04-2016, 11:22 AM
The fans have been on his back big time. Used to be a good player but really struggling right now (would probably have been better for us if he'd been playing on Saturday tbh).

Seemingly he thought (or at least he said) he was injured but the medical staff disagreed and this was his way of getting himself substituted.

Of all the United players, it would certainly be him you would guess if someone was going to pull this - but you wouldn't expect it from anyone!!

Thought he was injured?! Did he honestly claim that.. I assume he realised he had acted like a goat and probably ended his United career and decided to say that... when you're injured the natural reaction isn't to bend down and pick the ball up in order to get off the field!

Smartie
12-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Of all the United players, it would certainly be him you would guess if someone was going to pull this - but you wouldn't expect it from anyone!!

Thought he was injured?! Did he honestly claim that.. I assume he realised he had acted like a goat and probably ended his United career and decided to say that... when you're injured the natural reaction isn't to bend down and pick the ball up in order to get off the field!

TBH the whole episode mystifies me as much as anyone.

I'm just going on what my mate has told me - Gunning was getting pelters and wanted to go off - whether there was an injury or not I think is up for debate.

I remember thinking that Gunning was a great player a few years ago (he might have been at United on loan at the time) but he's been all over the shop the last few times I've seen him.

A bit like the boy Souttar who by all accounts is starting to play well at Hearts.

500miles
12-04-2016, 11:29 AM

The ball was going out, and as I remember it, Miller seemed to think it had already gone out of play.

WeeRussell
12-04-2016, 11:32 AM
TBH the whole episode mystifies me as much as anyone.

I'm just going on what my mate has told me - Gunning was getting pelters and wanted to go off - whether there was an injury or not I think is up for debate.

I remember thinking that Gunning was a great player a few years ago (he might have been at United on loan at the time) but he's been all over the shop the last few times I've seen him.

A bit like the boy Souttar who by all accounts is starting to play well at Hearts.

Yep - and apparently the pelters continued/increased as he departed. I don't think there will be many Arabs sad to see him go now.

You're right that he was in a bit of form in his first spell - even took the Pens if I recall correctly. Could be wrong but I think he was permanent back then too, as opposed to on loan... my memory is brutal though:agree:

He's always had a bit of 'radgness' in him though!

smack
12-04-2016, 11:51 AM

I think it was at tannadice

lucky
12-04-2016, 11:57 AM
whats the background?

He appears to have just chucked it. Watch the video and read the reports

Thecat23
12-04-2016, 11:59 AM
I don't see the problem here! Watch him limping towards the line he's clearly hurt his knee. The ball comes to him and he's prob thinking an ICT player will tackle him so he stops play.

Unless there is more to this then I just think he wanted treatment. Should have sat down though which prob most folk would do.

Septimus
12-04-2016, 12:04 PM

The ba was oot.

hibees 7062
12-04-2016, 12:10 PM

Spent a lot of time arguing with his own fans at the St Johnstone game

Tom Hart RIP
12-04-2016, 12:14 PM

I was 5 yards away at East End Park. I think willie either thought that he was standing off the pitch or it was an instinctive thing but he jumped up and caught the ball as it was flying over his head. He got second booking and was sent off. He wasn't injured or seeking to gain an advantage so it was bizarre. Very good player for us though. Tough tackling full back

SJM
12-04-2016, 12:17 PM
He's not liked at all at Utd and will be joining York come the summer.

KeithTheHibby
12-04-2016, 12:21 PM
I don't see the problem here! Watch him limping towards the line he's clearly hurt his knee. The ball comes to him and he's prob thinking an ICT player will tackle him so he stops play.

Unless there is more to this then I just think he wanted treatment. Should have sat down though which prob most folk would do.

Whatever you say Gavin :greengrin:greengrin

Thecat23
12-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Whatever you say Gavin :greengrin:greengrin

😁

Thecat23
12-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Anyone remember Richard Gough grabbing the ball when it bounced right over his head during a Scotland game? Sure he blamed it on hitting a sprinkler 😂

Think it was against Switzerland.

Off the bar
12-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Anyone remember Richard Gough grabbing the ball when it bounced right over his head during a Scotland game? Sure he blamed it on hitting a sprinkler 

Had a vague memory of that, so just checked it out on youtube and it's as bizarre as I remembered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6X2pthOYY

Thecat23
12-04-2016, 12:28 PM
Had a vague memory of that, so just checked it out on youtube and it's as bizarre as I remembered!

Haha that's the one. That's just weird!

SJM
12-04-2016, 12:29 PM
Anyone remember Richard Gough grabbing the ball when it bounced right over his head during a Scotland game? Sure he blamed it on hitting a sprinkler 😂

Was it not Sweden? World Cup 1994 qualifier got humped 5-0?

Smartie
12-04-2016, 12:40 PM
Anyone remember Richard Gough grabbing the ball when it bounced right over his head during a Scotland game? Sure he blamed it on hitting a sprinkler 

I ssem to remember him (unsurprisingly) getting quite an easy time of it from the media over it.

The consensus seemed to be that it was an instinctive reaction and the natural thing to do.

IMO catching the ball is not an instinctive thing for a centre-half to do!

He should have got dogs abuse.

Thecat23
12-04-2016, 12:42 PM
I ssem to remember him (unsurprisingly) getting quite an easy time of it from the media over it.

The consensus seemed to be that it was an instinctive reaction and the natural thing to do.

IMO catching the ball is not an instinctive thing for a centre-half to do!

He should have got dogs abuse.

I agree, I can't remember seeing many CH catching the ball as it bounces. Should have maybe been a keeper!!

Thecat23
12-04-2016, 12:43 PM
Was it not Sweden? World Cup 1994 qualifier got humped 5-0?

Nope defo Switzerland mate. It's on YouTube!

NadeAteMyLunch!
12-04-2016, 02:01 PM

I like that he drops the ball on his head as if saying "it was actually a header ref, even though I have the ball in both hands" [emoji23]

Off the bar
12-04-2016, 02:10 PM
I like that he drops the ball on his head as if saying "it was actually a header ref, even though I have the ball in both hands" [emoji23]

the look on his face in priceless, just wtf have I done

itslegaltender
12-04-2016, 02:11 PM
Rangers players had form at the time for pulling out of squads, wouldnt surprise me if he done that to get "rested" on next international date.

Lago
12-04-2016, 02:47 PM
He's not liked at all at Utd and will be joining York come the summer.
Playing in the conference then:agree:

Moulin Yarns
13-04-2016, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know what punishment the ref handed out to Gunning on the day?

I think he was injured, but still, you sit down, roll about in feigned agony. You don’t pick the ball up and walk off with it. To then be told to get back on the pitch to be treated is truly bizarre, what was the ref doing? Should have booked him for handball, leaving the pitch without permission, coming back on without permission and time wasting. 4 bookings in total

Smartie
13-04-2016, 01:17 PM
Does anyone know what punishment the ref handed out to Gunning on the day?

I think he was injured, but still, you sit down, roll about in feigned agony. You don’t pick the ball up and walk off with it. To then be told to get back on the pitch to be treated is truly bizarre, what was the ref doing? Should have booked him for handball, leaving the pitch without permission, coming back on without permission and time wasting. 4 bookings in total

I'm pretty sure the ref didn't even give him a yellow card.

Moulin Yarns
13-04-2016, 01:32 PM

Confirmed by a mate who supports Dundee Utd. The standard of referees!!

Moulin Yarns
13-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Confirmed by a mate who supports Dundee Utd. The standard of referees!!

He also sent me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6o7gxvWvgQ

Gunning own goal at about 18 seconds. :confused:

Hi Heid Yin
13-04-2016, 04:09 PM
What an absolutely dreadful, depressing atmosphere and poor advert for Scottish football.
As for Gunning's behaviour, well, that was bizarre in the extreme. It at least gave the punters something to talk about.

paddy1875
13-04-2016, 04:14 PM
I was going to try get a bet on him being sent off on Saturday Aswell!

SJM
13-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Nope defo Switzerland mate. It's on YouTube!

Yeah got mixed up buddy, he was from Sweden I think.

brianmc
13-04-2016, 04:53 PM

And the referee is.......? Mr Craig Thompson of course.

Jdawg
13-04-2016, 09:26 PM
I was 5 yards away at East End Park. I think willie either thought that he was standing off the pitch or it was an instinctive thing but he jumped up and caught the ball as it was flying over his head. He got second booking and was sent off. He wasn't injured or seeking to gain an advantage so it was bizarre. Very good player for us though. Tough tackling full back very good player? Severely limited full back who punted it forward or took wild swings at the ball, no composure or skill. A sad indictment of continuously horrendous full backs to wear green over that period.

brianmc
13-04-2016, 09:35 PM
very good player? Severely limited full back who punted it forward or took wild swings at the ball, no composure or skill. A sad indictment of continuously horrendous full backs to wear gree over that period.

Aye, no where near as good as Cafu and Maldini that currently fill the full back positions for us right enough.

Jdawg
13-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Aye, no where near as good as Cafu and Maldini that currently fill the full back positions for us right enough. aye as that was my point. Jesus Christ

Maldini/Cafu - Miller. Aye, there's no inbetween right enough. Both current full backs are far better. Miller's first touch was a shot.

brianmc
13-04-2016, 09:44 PM
Haha. As you're obviously well aware I wasn't suggesting Willie Miller was anywhere near the 2 legends I mentioned. But to dismiss him in the way you did, in my opinion, was way off the mark.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 10:04 PM
very good player? Severely limited full back who punted it forward or took wild swings at the ball, no composure or skill. A sad indictment of continuously horrendous full backs to wear green over that period.

Willie Miller could defend, which is an attribute all too often overlooked in defenders.

We've had a good few right backs since Miller who couldn't defend for toffee either. IIRC we even managed to get the fat end of £2m for one of them.

brianmc
13-04-2016, 10:10 PM
Willie Miller could defend, which is an attribute all too often overlooked in defenders.

We've had a good few right backs since Miller who couldn't defend for toffee either. IIRC we even managed to get the fat end of £2m for one of them.

Correct. Did he have the professionalism of Stevenson? Don't think so. The composure of Gray (on a rare good day)_nope.
Was he a better defender than both of them combined?
Absolutely 100% yes.
Better football player? Probably not. But right now I'd be happy as a pig in **** if we had defenders that could actually defend.

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Whittaker? If so, our best right back in my 30 years. By quite some distance.

Jdawg
13-04-2016, 10:23 PM
Correct. Did he have the professionalism of Stevenson? Don't think so. The composure of Gray (on a rare good day)_nope.
Was he a better defender than both of them combined?
Absolutely 100% yes.
Better football player? Probably not. But right now I'd be happy as a pig in **** if we had defenders that could actually defend. I recall miller being in a few poor hibs teams who conceded their fair share of goals too. 9/10 he booted it anywhere.

Did he have the first touch of either of them, no. The passing ability of either of them, no.

He was full of effort and tough but was a below average defender and a bombscare of a footballer and ran about like a headless chicken.

We had 3 CB's playing and both goals from the middle of the box last night. I'd apportion blame for that on them in terms of last night.

Jdawg
13-04-2016, 10:27 PM
Whittaker? If so, our best right back in my 30 years. By quite some distance. correct, add Murphy in there too.

The dross full backs are almost endless bar a few exceptions.

SJM
13-04-2016, 10:32 PM
correct, add Murphy in there too.

Murphy was a class act but I preferred Laursen, Murray was class too! All outstanding. Right back no contest though. I liked Derek Collins too.

murray26
13-04-2016, 10:34 PM

To be fair having to full backs at the same time as murthy and whitty is unusual.. Gray and Lewis aren't bad compared to some we've had since..

Smartie
13-04-2016, 10:35 PM
Whittaker? If so, our best right back in my 30 years. By quite some distance.

Nah, De La Cruz.

I thought Whittaker was superb. He seemed to get a hard time on here for his defensive ability which I always thought was more than adequate. He was immense going forward though.

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-04-2016, 10:35 PM

Absolutely spoilt with those two. We'd also regularly play wingers in front of them to cause teams even more trouble. Now we tend to have Gray and Stevenson patrolling the entire wings on their own, trying to defend and swing crosses in [emoji52]

Smartie
13-04-2016, 10:37 PM
To be fair having to full backs at the same time as murthy and whitty is unusual.. Gray and Lewis aren't bad compared to some we've had since..

:agree:

I'm perfectly happy with the 2 we've got right now.

And as last night showed, I think they'e even better when they have wide men playing in front of them.

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Nah, De La Cruz.

I thought Whittaker was superb. He seemed to get a hard time on here for his defensive ability which I always thought was more than adequate. He was immense going forward though.

Ah knew you meant one of the two. I remember us getting about £1.6 mill from Villa for De La Cruz but might have been more. A great bit of business in the end. He was capable of special things, such as his performance against AEK but he was a bit of a bombscare and definitely underachieved with us.
Whittaker and Murphy as a pair were outstanding. Long for those days again [emoji53]

Smartie
13-04-2016, 10:39 PM
Re Gunning - anyone else hearing that he's not actually left United?

Seemingly Mixu alluded to it today in spite of the fact that an official statement was released yesterday saying Gunning had left the club.

I don't think Gunning was too happy at having been "mutually consented".

United sound like they're a shambles tbh.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Ah knew you meant one of the two. I remember us getting about £1.6 mill from Villa for De La Cruz but might have been more. A great bit of business in the end. He was capable of special things, such as his performance against AEK but he was a bit of a bombscare and definitely underachieved with us.
Whittaker and Murphy as a pair were outstanding. Long for those days again [emoji53]

I think he was the first of a new generation of fullback where they were seen as much as attackers as defenders.

Sometimes going forward De La Cruz was brilliant, he certainly had his moments (as you mentioned).

He was also pretty ropey defensively - did he not have a howler in a high-scoring game with Aberdeen at Easter Road?

He'd had an above average season with us but I remember hearing Graham Taylor enthusing about him in commentary at the World Cup - then buying him off us for a good few quid.

Great business as you say as imo he couldn't defend for toffee and it is still something that I like to see in a fullback.

SJM
13-04-2016, 10:48 PM

Was he not signed the year before the World Cup and brought to get him used to British football before selling him on?

There was they goals against Hearts though. 👍👍

SJM
13-04-2016, 10:49 PM
I think he was the first of a new generation of fullback where they were seen as much as attackers as defenders.

Sometimes going forward De La Cruz was brilliant, he certainly had his moments (as you mentioned).

He was also pretty ropey defensively - did he not have a howler in a high-scoring game with Aberdeen at Easter Road?

He'd had an above average season with us but I remember hearing Graham Taylor enthusing about him in commentary at the World Cup - then buying him off us for a good few quid.

Great business as you say as imo he couldn't defend for toffee and it is still something that I like to see in a fullback.

Aberdeen match we drew 4-4, he was the best for us I've ever seen a full back get forward that night but sold the pies defensively. I think Zeroali (rip) had a stormer too. Weds night if i remember right.

Smartie
13-04-2016, 10:50 PM
Was he not signed the year before the World Cup and brought to get him used to British football before selling him on?

There was they goals against Hearts though. 

There haven't been many goals over the years celebrated as wildly as that first one against Hearts.

Bedlam.

It was one of the rare occasions that I was in the ground on time too.

Moulin Yarns
14-04-2016, 05:58 AM
Re Gunning - anyone else hearing that he's not actually left United?

Seemingly Mixu alluded to it today in spite of the fact that an official statement was released yesterday saying Gunning had left the club.

I don't think Gunning was too happy at having been "mutually consented".

United sound like they're a shambles tbh.

You mean this

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/dundee-uniteds-gavin-gunning-refusing-7741981#HUuGwl72oULVGaiD.97